215. Guest
216. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - reflector material- suggestions
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

reflector material- suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Lighting Equipment - General
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manny
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Venkat,  did  you  try  "Lohar  Chawl"  for  the  reflectors  ?   This  place  usually  has  everything  related  to  electrical  fittings  and  lighting  fixtures.  you  may  just  find  what  you  are  looking  for.
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 5:29 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  Manny,

Readymade  reflectors  are  pretty  expensive.  I  am  looking  for  just  the  raw  material(sheets).
 Lohar  Chawl  will  be  my  next  stop.  I  found  out  from  Harshal  about  the  appx  rates  and  now  just  looking  for  a  dealer.
 In  the  meantime,  I've  fashioned  the  reflectors  out  of  normal  aluminium  sheets  and  now  planning  to  use  foil  inside  those.

Results  are  pretty  good  with  this  setup  so  I  don't  know  when  I  will  decide  to  make  the  trip  to  Lohar  hawl  to  check  out  the  fittings...

Regards,
 Venkat
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 8:43 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Have  you  ever  thought  of  using  white  enamelled  sheets?
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2007 11:10 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

IMO,  professionally  made  reflectors  made  of  alumnimum  mirror  sheets  are  best.  OK,  they  are  expensive,  but  they  ensure  proper  utilisation  of  available   lumens.

Rana
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:21 am Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Anybody's  tried  "steel  ka  patra"  thats  supposedly  made  out  of  stainless  steel??
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 10:01 am Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Folks....

My  suggesion  would  be  go  for  the  normal  tube  reflectors  made  from  plastic,  I  was  able  to  get  hold  of  it  from  Vinayaka  enterprices  in  BVK  iyengar  road  bangalore.

Raghu
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:03 am Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  all

Quote:                
My  suggesion  would  be  go  for  the  normal  tube  reflectors  made  from  plastic,  I  was  able  to  get  hold  of  it  from  Vinayaka  enterprices  in  BVK  iyengar  road  bangalore                

Plastic  reflectors???  What  is  this?  Raghu  can  u  please  let  us  know  what  exactly  are  these......sound  interesting!  Wonder  how  would  it  work?

I  will  agree  with  Rana  that  Aluminium  reflectors  definately  work  the  best,  using  them  and  these  do  increase  the  light  into  the  tank  visibily!

regards
    Harshal.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 11:20 am Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Harshal,  
    This  is  what  i  am  refering  to
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:19 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  all,

@Rana:
 I'm  sure  we  all  agree  that  professionally  made  reflectors  are  probably  optimal  but  this  is  a  DIY  project.  MY  objective  is  to  fashion  the  best  reflector  I  can  out  of  materials  that  are  suitable  to  the  plants  as  well  as  my  quite  anaemic  wallet  Smile

@Amod:
 I  think  'patra'  will  be  a  pain  to  form  into  suitable  shape  and  the  reflectivity  is  not  too  much  better  than  aluminum.

@Brojo:
 Same  as  above.  I  don't  think  enamelled  sheets  can  be  formed  at  all!

When  I  started  this  thread,  I  had  4  Trulites  over  my  4x1.5x1.5  tank  with  no  reflectors.
 Now  I  have  a  DIY  open  hood  holding  5  tubes  at  8  inches  over  the  water  surface.
 3  of  them  have  DIY  plain  aluminum  reflector  over  them,  the  others  are  open  with  no  reflector.

Considering  that  3  of  my  5  trulites  are  over  a  year  old  and  since  I  have  a  nice  thick  lawn  of  glosso,  I  think  I'm  not  going  to  spend  the  additional  moolah  on  aluminium  reflective  sheet  at  the  moment  since  the  expected  outgo  will  be  in  the  range  of  Rs.  2000/-  (thanks,  Harshal  for  those  figures)

Probably,  will  replace  one  or  two  tubes,  line  the  interiors  of  the  reflectors  with  aluminium  foil  and  see  how  much  difference  that  makes.

Thumb Up

Regards,
 Venkat
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Venkat,
   I  would  suggest  that  you  catch  hold  of  the  reflector  that  i  have  posted  above.  You  can  get  a  high  reflection  and  the  reflectors  are  pretty  cheap  (Should  be  less  than  150  each  and  each  can  have  2  tubes  which  i  have  wrigged  up  in  my  case).

Raghu
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 12:44 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  Raghu,

Any  brand  names  etc.  for  the  reflector?  It  is  very  difficult  to  get  the  shopkeepers  to  understand  what  you  want  unless  it  is  a  popular  item.  Also  appx  price  range  for  the  same  would  be  useful.

I  couldn't  quite  make  out  the  details  from  the  pic.  The  tube  seems  to  be  angling  down  from  the  reflector  and  you  have  outlined  a  small  bracket  -  any  significance  to  that?

Fitting  5  tubes  over  a  18"  width  means  that  I  get  about  3.5  inches  per  tube.  Most  reflectors  will  exceed  that.  Any  idea  of  the  specs  on  the  one  in  the  pic?

Regards,
 Venkat
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 2:03 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  Venky,
   I  would  have  been  more  than  glad  to  help  you  prepare  one  if  you  were  in  bangalore.  Any  how,
 Note  that  this  reflector  is  from  Osram  i  believe  though  not  very  sure,  I  just  ripped  the  packing  and  used  it  as  i  had  a  fair  idea  of  what  to  do.  Iam  guessing  this  to  be  osram's  as  i  picked  it  up  from  Vinayaka  Enterprices.

you  can  ask  the  dealer  for  a  fiber  or  a  plastic  reflector  of  a  standard  tube  fitting  used  for  office  lightings.

As  i  mentioned  earlier  each  4  ft  tube  reflector  would  cost  you  close  to  150.  

As  per  the  picture  i  have  a  L  clamp  fixed  to  the  hood  which  was  circled  for  the  reference  to  some  one  else.  The  reflector  is  hooked  to  the  L  clamp  and  the  tubes  are  fit  to  the  reflector.  

Also  since  the  standard  reflector  comes  in  4ft,  I  cut  them  to  2  equal  halfs  of  close  to  2ft  each.

In  my  case  to  each  part  of  the  reflector  i  was  able  to  fit  in  2  T5  2ft  tubes.  Note  that  you  can  also  fit  in  2   T8  2ft   tubes  to  each  reflector.

Note  that  this  fitment  is  also  for  a  4  X  1.5  tank

Hence  in  your  case  also   i  feel  you  can  still  connect  all  the  5  tubes.  Provided  you  connect  2  tubes  per  reflector.

Hope  this  is  not  more  confusing.
 If  it  is  may  be  a  phone  call  can  also  resolve  your  problem.

raghu
vkv
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2007 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  offer  Raghu.  Thumb Up

Will  ask  around  to  see  if  these  plastic  things  are  available  locally.

As  an  aside,  there  are  some  benefits  to  not  having  the  reflectors  block  the  top  surface,  my  banana  plants  are  growing  up  in-between  the  tubes  and  are  now  flowering  above  the  hood  Very Happy

Regards,
 Venkat
karna
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

As  raghu  mentioned  you  can  get  it  form  Vinayak  enterprise  in  the  RTStreet  ,  BVK  Iyengar  road.  They  sell  the  refelectors  a  4ft  cost  100/-.
 I'm  sure  both  T5  and  T8  would  fit  in  it.
      They  did  have  a  twin  tube  light  fitting  with  te  reflector  and  whole  tube  hosting  the  dealer  mentioned  it  was  from  Asian  ligthing  it  was  costing  900/-  I  think  it  is  a  good  deal  as  it  comes  the  complee  fitting  and  the  e-ballast  built  in.  90/-  for  8000  hrs  165/-  for  20000hrs  (Imported  ones)OSRAM  you  can  have  the  complete  fitting  for  1080/-.
hiren
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 3:37 pm Post subject: Re: reflector material- suggestions Reply with quote

Hi  Venkat,

Try  Aluminium  sheets  of  .3  mm.  They  are  specially  meant  for  decorative  /  reflectors  purpose  .  These  are  imported  sheets  with  LDPE  protective  coating  on  front  side.  They  are  available  with  Aluminium  dealers  in  Gulalwadi  Area  (Mumbai).  

Only  drawback  is  that  you  have  to  buy  full  sheet.  Normal  size  is  4'  x  4'  (full  sheet).  If  you  want  i  can  give  you  a  sample  for  you  to  see.

Hiren
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Lighting Equipment - General All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: