76. Guest
77. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My discus tank (Added a few pics today)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My discus tank (Added a few pics today)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:19 pm Post subject: My discus tank (Added a few pics today) Reply with quote

Hi  guys,

Am  posting  some  pics  of  my  discus  tank.   

I  will  be  switching  to  a  large  tank  very  soon   :D

Regards,
 Keshava

Last edited by pkattitude on Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:32 pm; edited 2 times in total
AMITNOIDA
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:51 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Nice  Tank  mate.  May  please  indicate  the  size  of  the  aquarium  and  water  change  frequency.  I  have  a  desire  for  Discus  tank.  But  for  its  very  high  demanding  water  change  requirement,  I  am  hesitant.
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:13 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Amit,

Its  a  3  ft  tank.  Now  i  am  planning  a  much  bigger  tank  as  the  current  tank  is  getting  conjusted  +  i  am  planning  to  do  some  aquascaping.  

Earlier,  when  the  discus  were  small  i  used  to  change  the  water  every  7  days.  But  now  i  chance  70  percent  water  every  third  day.

I  do  not  feed  live  food  or  beef/chicken  to  my  discus.  So,  the  water  quality  does  not  degrade.  Also  i  have  no  intention  of  breeding  them.  However  two  of  them  seem  to  be  forming  a  pair  now.

Dont  be  hesitant..  personally  speaking  i  hav'nt  had  much  trouble  keeping  them...
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:23 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Beautiful  setup,  Keshava.  Thumb Up  
 Very  nice  &  healthy  discus  you  have,  Blue  Turq  is  really  sweet.
punna
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:50 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Very  nice  Blue  Tarq.   Thumb Up
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:41 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Yogesh  and  Punna  :  thanks  for  the  appreciation.

Guys,  I  have  a  few  questions  and  I  am  seeking  suggestions  from  you  all.  

I  want  to  know  why  discus  keeping  is  not  promoted  for  planting  tanks.  Most  of  the  discuss  keepers  prefer  bare  bottom  tanks.  As  you  can  see  the  vegetation  is  scanty  in  my  current  tank,  but  now  i  want  to  go  with  more  plants.  I  am  particularly  inclined  towards  varities  of  anubias,  and  glosso.  So  do  you  think  that  it  is  a  bad  idea?

I  was  discussing  this  with  Tritha  as  well  and  he  was  of  the  opinion  that  my  choice  of  plants  would  be  very  limited  with  discus.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:06 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

aah  finally  you  have  posted  the  pics.  Let  me  know  when  I  can  drop  into  your  place  with  my  Cam.

Now  let  me  give  you  the  scenario,  why  I  did  tell  you,  the  plant  choice  will  be  limited.

Discus  prefers  28-30  degree  water  temp.  
 They  will  be  happy  with  frequent  and  large  water  changes.  
 They  are  not  so  tolerant  to  chemicals

On  other  hand,

Most  of  the  plants  required  Temp  below  28  degree.  Moss  and  Stems  will  be  best  in  24-26  degree.
 You  should  not  go  for  frequent  water  changes  (Daily/  alternate  day)  when  the  tank  will  be  matured.
 For  the  plants  you  have  to  dose  the  water  column  with  CO2,  KNO3,  K2SO4,  KH2PO4  etc  etc

So  either  your  fishes  will  be  unhappy  or  your  plants  will  not  get  exactly  what  they  want.

So  for  a  Discus  tank  you  can  go  for  Hardy  and  undemanding  plants  like  Anubias,  Ferns,  e.  tenellus,  other  echinodorus  varieties,  Amazons  etc  etc.

But  my  logic  is  not  true  100%  cause  there  are  many  awesome  planted  tanks  with  discus,  like  Tom  Barr’s  “Behmoth”  tank  which  holds  40  Champion  German  discus  and  60  altums.  But  it  needs  that  kind  of  knowledge  to  strike  the  balance  what  I  don't  have.   Smile
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:24 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Keshava  ,

Your  Discus  looks  healthy.  Good  that  you  are  going  for  bigger  tank.

Discus  grows  well  when  feed  with  protein  rich  food.  Beef  heart  or  other  animal  heart  are  rich   in  protein,  hence  most  of  the  hobbyist  and  breeders  
 prefer  to  feed  Animal  heart.  
 When  you  feed  animal  heart  or  meat  to  your  discus  the  Ammonia  level  needs  to  be  under  control,  hence  you  need  to  keep  the  tank  all  time  clean  by  sufficient  WC.  So  if  your  tank  is  bare  bottom  it  is  more  convenient  to  maintain.  Also  in  case  if  you  want  to  carry  any  treatment,  it  is  not  advisable  to  carry  out  in  planted  tank.  I  don't  know  how  you  carried  out  your  last  Antibiotic  treatment  in  this  tank.  

In  your  case  since  you  are  not  feeding  animal  heart,  you  can  go  for  planted  tank,  but  you  have  to  look  in  to  other  factors  what  Tirtha  has  mentioned.

Tirtha,  thanks  for  your  valued  inputs  on  this  subject.

Thanks
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 9:47 am Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

your  turq  is  awesome..
 Tirtha  would  the  same  apply  if  one  is  keeping  only  annubias  and  crypts?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bettaji
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Lovely  tank  Keshava  !!!!!!
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Keshava,  you  posses  good  discus.  take  good  care  of  them  to  turn  them  into  beauties   Thumb Up
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:59 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Discusolic  wrote  (View  Post):                

In  your  case  since  you  are  not  feeding  animal  heart,  you  can  go  for  planted  tank,  but  you  have  to  look  in  to  other  factors  what  Tirtha  has  mentioned.

Tirtha,  thanks  for  your  valued  inputs  on  this  subject.

Thanks                

Shiva,  even  if  he  feed  BHM  in  planted  tank,  there  should  not  be  a  problem  with  ammonia.  But  the  tank  has  to  be  big  size  (100G+)  and  very  densly  planted  with  lots  of  first  grower  or  floaters   which  will  consume  the  build  up  ammonia  instantly.  And  weekly  twice  water  change  will  keep  the  extra  ammonia  in  check.  But  maintaining  the  other  factors  like  Temperature,  CO2  etc  will  be  a  real  challenge.  

toomanyfish  wrote  (View  Post):                

your  turq  is  awesome..
 Tirtha  would  the  same  apply  if  one  is  keeping  only  annubias  and  crypts?

You  can  keep  hardy  slow  growers  anytime  in  discuss  tank.  But  keep  one  thing  is  mind.  As  you  are  not  taking  any  special  care  for  the  plants,  growth  rate  will  be  real  slow.
pkattitude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:38 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Tritha  and  Shiva:  Thanks  a  lot  for  all  the  knowledge.  Will  need  you  guys  a  lot  more  when  I  start  my  new  tank.  Also,  Tritha  please  feel  free  to  drop  in  whenever  you  feel  like   Very Happy   You  are  most  welcome..

About  the  antibiotic  treatment  in  the  current  tank:  All  I  can  say  is  that  it  is  not  advised  ,  But  I  am  a  bit  experimentative   Smile   sometimes  it  pays  sometimes  it  back  fires.  However  i  learn  lessons  all  the  time..

toomanyfish,bettaji,  adesh8028:  Thanks  a  lot  for  all  the  appreciation

Now  i  am  even  more  interested  in  going  for  a  planted  tank...  Am  currently  researching  on  what  plants  to  keep...   I  am  taking  it  very  seriously  this  time...  The  aim  is  to  have  a  heavily  planted,  aquascaped  discus  tank...

Will  update  you  guys  soon....
adesh8028
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:42 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

go  for  anubias,  they  are  one  of  the  sturdy  plants  and  look  good  too.  there  are  lot  of  variants  of  this  plant.
Frank
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:54 pm Post subject: Re: My discus tank Reply with quote

Tirtha  C  wrote  (View  Post):                
 Tom  Barr’s  “Behmoth”  tank  which  holds  40  Champion  German  discus  and  60  altums.                  

I  dont  have  any  knowledge  on  aquascaping  and  stuff..  but  love  to  enjoy  the  beauty  of  planted  tanks..  the  only  large  planted  tank  i  knew  so  far  was  takashi's  planted  tank..  Tom  barr's  tank  is  splendid  and  is  really  amazing..  thanks  for  sharing..  and  is  there  any  other  planted  tank  as  good  as  this  tirtha??
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: