178. Guest
179. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Wht all to keep in mind before buyin FH?Mario,Luigi pics pg5
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Wht all to keep in mind before buyin FH?Mario,Luigi pics pg5
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 4:43 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Congrats  on  your  purchase.   Thumbs Up  
 Get  the  mollies  shifted  or  they  will  get  killed.  Hope  that  they  are  disease  free.  If  yes,  siphon  out  their  wastes  and  top  up  the  water.  dd  salt  and  dechlorinator  and  wait  for  10  minutes  before  letting  the  FH  in.  Meanwhile,  suspend  the  juvie  in  a  bag  in  the  water  to  acclimate  him.  You  can  house  your  juvie  in  that  tank  (  it's  roughly  14  gallons  )  for  a  few  months.  But  eventually,  you  must  transfer  him  to  a  larger  tank  (  50  gallons  minimum  )  with  greater  height  so  that  its  growth  isn't  hampered  and  hie  gets  some  swimming  space.  Having  a  tank  height  of  atlest  18  inches  will  be  good  both  for  display  and  vertical  movement  of  the  fish.
 Once  the  juvie  stabilizes,  post   few  pics  and  vids.
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

i  would  suggest  @least  3feet*18  inches*18  inches  but  for  nor  now  your  fh  can  do  with  your  current  tank..  Smile
random2

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Nick993  wrote  (View  Post):                
Deepak  ,

i  already  have  a  2x1x1  ft  tank  running  with  the  filter  on..with  1  or  2  mollies.

just  asked  what  i  would  now,  and  in  the  course  of  time  Smile                

Good  to  know

All  the  best  with  your  flowerhorn.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 07, 2011 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  all  of  u  guys  Smile   Cheering  

Actually  this  FH  my  girl  gifted  me,  so  she  doesnt  know  much  about  it,  she  got  it  cuz  it  has  a  beautiful  red  eye!  it  surely  does..but  poor  guy/girl  his  tail  has  been  cut!  Razz
 will  soon  get  another  Juvi  FH  ....   Very Happy  
 here  are  the  pics  of  him/her:  

it  may  not  be  the  best  FH  here,but  it  very  active  already,  and  is  jumpin  around  in  the  tank  :D

what  can  i  feed  this  guy?
 do  i  have  to  really  go  for  expensive  food  like  HUMPY  HEAD,or  VIKING,  or  GRANDSUMO  etc  etc.?  or  is  there  an  alternative?

the  photo  of  late  arogorn  Sad   Sad  

what  is  the  growth  rate  of  the  FH  (inches  per  month)  if  i  provide  regular  good  food,with  regular  water  changes?

thanks  again!  Smile
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:12 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

That's  a  cute  little  fish.     Thumbs Up   You  must  be   proud  father.
 Going  by  the  grading  of  fry,  which  is  based  on  the  flowerline  alone,  It  is  a  Grade  'C'  or  Freeflower  type  of  fry.  I  had  one  just  like  yours  three  years  back.  She  was  a  Blue  Dragon  Zhenzhou  who  started  laying  eggs  in  the  third  month  and  continued  to  do  so  about  twice  every  month.  She  was  with  me  for  over  two  years  after  which,  I  sold  her  to  Discusrama  at  over  10  inches.
 Prima  facie,  your  cute  little  friend  is  either  a  Zhenzhou  (  greater  possibility  of  being  a  Blue  Dragon  )  or  a  Zhenzhoumalau  (  I  can  spot  a  scanty  amount  of  pearls  ).  These  are  just  my  guesses  based  on  the  features  that  I  can  make  out  from  your  wonderful  snaps.  At  this  stage,  nothing  can  be  said  for  certain.
 I  see  a  scaphoid  abdomen,  which  is  an  indicator  that  this  little  guy  has  been  starved  or  underfed  by  the  LFS  guy.  Its  up  to  you  to  fatten  him  up.
 Sure  his  tail  has  been  cut,  but  not  completely.  So  it  will  grow  back  in  the  next  few  weeks.
 Inspite  of  the  severed  tail,  the  fish  looks  proud  and  majestic  with  erect  finnage.
 The  red  eye  is  not  unique.  It  is  comman  in  most  flowerhorn  strains  except  earlier  Kamfa  variants.
 As  I  mentioned  earlier,  there  appears  to  be  scanty  pearling.  This  will  either  disappear  completely  (  more  likely  )  or  will  persist  and  spread  with  age,  depending  on  the  genes.
 There  is  a  slight  hint  of  the  reds  appearing  on  the  belly.
 The  bodyform  shows  zhenzhou  predominance.
 If  it  carries  the  fader  gene,  the  colour  will  darken  up  initially  and  later  fade  out  in  the  next  couple  of  months.
 There  is  no  absolute  necessity  for  expensive  food,  as  long  as  you  are  feeding  him  a  well  balanced  food  intended  for  carnivorous  fish  along  with  some  fibre  rich  feed.  Most  of  the  fish's  traits  are  dependent  on  his  genes.  By  providing  specific  feed,  we  only  accelerate  the  appearance  and   slightly  enhance  the  intensity  and  distribution  of  the  particular  trait.  It  is  like  providing  coaching  classes  to  our  kids  to  boost  their  performance  and  give  them  an  edge.  But  a  poor  kid  with  high  intellect  attending  night  school  and  no  private  coaching  can  still  top  the  merit  lists.
 Among  the  flowerhorn  specific/premium  feed  the  reason  we  go  for  branded  feed  is  that  we  can  rest  assured  that  our  fish  are  getting  complete  nutrition.  Plus  you  can  choose  the  food  depending  on  the  specific  trait  that  you  need  to  enhance.  There  is  also  greater  variety  of  pigments  in  these  so  that  the  yellows,  blues  and  greens  are  not  left  out.
 There  are  many  cheap  but  good  local  brands  available  in  the  market.  You  may  go  for  a  time  tested  one.  But  if  you  are  looking  for  a  good  colour  feed,  the  local  market  will  provide  you  with  only  red  colour  enhancers.
 Also,  if  you  have  a  fish  farm  or  government  fishery  research  centre  around  your  place,  you  can  get  well  balanced  cichlid  food  at  wholesale  or  subsidized  rate  (  amounting  to  Rs.xx  per  kg  in  sacks  of  5/10/15/25  kg  ).  the  only  drawback  is  that  the  water  may  become  cloudy  more  often.
 If  you  provide  good  water  conditions  and  a  nutrient  rich  diet,  the  growth  rate  of  a  juvie  flowerhorn  is  1  to  1.5  inches  per  month  till  it  reaches  between  8  to  10  inches  (  which  I  refer  to  as  the  'Growth  Phase'  ),  after  which,  the  growth  in  length  decelerates  and  the  increase  in  girth  and  depth  accelerates,  the  fish  appears  more  stocky,  gets  an  apparent  triple  chin,  full  cheeks,  thicker  jawset  and  the  kok  development  gets  a  boost.  In  short,  the  fish  starts  ballooning  up  after  the  end  of  the  initial  growth  phase  (  Hence,  I  refer  to  it  as  the  'Ballooning  Phase'  ).
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 8:51 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

OMG!
 thanksa  lot  kastor   Clapping   Cheer   Cheering  

The  guy  seems  to  be  little  stressed  out  for  now,  is  not  eating  anything  so  far..  (not  shrimps,cichlid  pellets,worms  ,anything)

and  as  far  as  the  color  is  concerned..  .he  is  more  dark  and  there  is  alot  more  RED  (blood  like)  on  his  belly  area.
 the  picture  does  not  show  much  of  the  colors  and  pearls  cuz  i  took  as  soon  as  i  left  in  the  tank  and  it  was  kinda  stressed..when  i  switch  of  the  lights,  its   more  darker  and  nice  Smile
 HOpe  he  turns  out  to  be  a  wonderful  and  color  ful  FH  with  a  medium  sized  KOK  :D

can  i  feed  beef  heart  for  the  fish?  with  variety  of  food  from  shrimps,pellets,worms,  live  feed  etc..
 lets  see,  i  dont  think  there  is  any  fish  research  centre  here  in  mysore,  ill  just  search  in  the  internet  and  find  more  info  about  it.

Thanks  a  lot  for  all  the  info  ,  that  really  educated  me  a  lot  about  FH's  Smile  Smile
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:33 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Don't  feed  mammalian  meat  needlessly.
 Don't  livefeed  newdlessly.
 A  well  balanced  cichlid  pellet  is  self  sufficient  in  itself  for  your  fish.
 If  you  want,  you  can  feed  him  peeled,  eviscerated  and  thoroughly  cleaned  shrimp  /  prawns  (  you  may  partially  boil  these,  cut  them  into  bite  sized  pieces  and  freeze  them  in  a  ziplock  pouch  and  feed  the  fish  on  weekends.)  or  cleaned  earthworms  on  weekends.

You  say  that  the  fish  doesn;t  eat  anything.  Might  be  because  of  stress,  but  flowerhorns  are  voracious  and  shameless  eaters.  It  shouldnot  go  without  food  for  long.  If  it  does,  check  whether  it  is  pooping  out  a  white  thready/stringy  excreta.  If  yes,  it  might  have  enteric  infection  /  infestation.  As  I  said  earlier,  the  scaphoid  abdomen  shouldn't  be  ignored.

Let  us  know  any  progress/observation.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 08, 2011 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Kastor,

My  FH  ate  Very Happy   Cheering  
 i  fed  some  Blood  Worms  for  it.  It  ate  and  kinda  spit  out  half  of  it  :/   Surprised  
 Ill  try  the  shrimp.
 No  infection  so  far  i  guess.  it  has  pooped  and  no  white  excreta.  :)

i  want  its  stomach  to  be  filled   Very Happy
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 12:17 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Good  for  you  bro.     Smile  
 Clean  the  bloodworms  thoroughly  before  feeding.  These  little  larvae  come  with  chunks  of  humus,  rich  in  parasites.
 Siphon  out  all  the  excrement  and  other  waste  at  the  end  of  the  day.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 7:58 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

so  everyday   ifeed  the  FH  food,  Everyday  there  is  wastes  and  excrements  =  everyday  Water  change?   Surprised  

and  im  still  confused  on  what  to  feed  it.

do  u  know  where  i  can  get  a  starter  culture  of  Bloodworms?
 since  the  FH  isnt  eating  any  pellets  ,nor  shrimp.

Basically  it  tries  everything  and  spits  it  out,  and  consumes  only  what  it  likes  ,
 nowadays  even  fishes  are  also  so  selective  about  food   Surprised   Chuckle
random2

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 9:26 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Bloodworms  are  larvae  of  midge  fly.  So  culturing  wont  be  practical.

From  where  did  you  get  bloodworms?  none  of  the  LFS  I  know  get  them.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:32 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

Deepak  ,

The  blood  worms  i  fed  my  FH  were  freeze  dried  type,  not  the  Live  ones.

A  few  questions  i  have..

1.   can  i  keep  two  Juvi  FH's(around  1.5  inches)  in  my  3ft  tank  with  a  middle  partition?  if  i  keep  them,  will  there  be  any  effect  on  their  growth?  keeping  in  mind  that  i  will  be  surely  upgrading  the  tanks  as  they  grow,  and  maybe  even  keep  them  in  different  tanks.

2.  If  i  keep  two  FH's  in  the  same  tank  with  a  partition,  is  it  necesarry  to  put  an  airstone  to  both  partitions  or  one  airstone  is  enough?  Since  the  same  water  is  being  used  by  both  fishes.  

Thanks!
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:39 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

and  Forgot  one  more  Question!

Why  is  FH  preferred  to  keep  without  Substrate?
 I  plan  to  put  Black  chips(around  4mm)  is  it  favourable  ?
Kastor48252
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 3:24 am Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

That's  a  lot  of  questions.  More  exercise  for  my  finger  musculature.   Very Happy   

Bloodworms  are  larvae,  just  like  mosquito  larvae.  So  there's  no  culturing  them.

If  your  flowerhorn  isn't  accepting  pellets,  do  the  following:
 -  Buy  some  premium  carnivore  pellets  or  sticks.  If  azoo  flowerhorn  pellet  or  arowana  stick  10g  sachet  is  available,  get  it.  Or  go  for  any  other  branded  product  like  hikari/ocean  free/grand  sumo,  etc.  These  have  less  fillers  and  more  amount  of  proteinaceous  content.  These  have  greater  palatability  and  so  are  highly  recommended.
 -  Wet  a  single  pellet/stick  or  a  broken  piece  of  it  for  about  2-5  minutes,  before  feeding  it  to  your  fish.  By  moistening,  the  pellet  softens,  which  is  easy  to  bite  and  is  more  palatable.
 -  Let  the  flowerhorn  spot  it/taste  it/  eat  it/  spit  it.  Be  patient.  Wait  and  observe.  Many  flowerhorns  have  a  habit  of  spitting  out  food  and  eating  it  off  the  bottom  later.  If  the  pellet  gets  eaten,  feed  more  in  the  same  manner  one  by  one.  If  he  spits  it  out,  check  from  time  to  time  whether  he  has  eaten  it.  Feed  no  more  until  he  eats  it.  If  he  hasn't  eaten  it  by  the  end  of  the  day,  siphon  it  out  and  let  the  fish  starve  for  the  night.
 -  Repeat  the  above  procedure  the  next  day.  you  can  do  this  for  4-5  days  at  a  stretch.  If  he  remains  adamant  till  the  6th  day,  feed  him  the  bloodworms  or  any  feed  that  he  readily  accepts.  Do  so  for  the  next  couple  of  days.  then  again  repeat  the  4-5  day  starving  regimen.
 -  Usually  flowerhorns  don't  wait  that  long.  They  usually  crack  within  the  first  3  days.

Siphonig  out  the  excess  wastes  from  the  bottom  and  toppng  up  (  replacing  )  the  water  (  therefore  technically,  not  WC  but  WR  or  water  replacement  )  is  a  good  practice  and  benefits  in  the  log  run.  It  doesn't  take  up  more  than  5-10  minutes  of  your  time  every  night  or  whenever  possible.  I  highly  recommend  it.  And  what  better  tank  to  do  this  than  a  barebottom?

I  have  grown  out  flowerhorns  in  partitioned  2  footers  earlier  (  3  juvies  per  two  footer  ).  They  had  excellent  growth  and  development  and  were  a  healthy  lot.  All  of  them  developed  koks  including  the  females.  The  extras  among  those  were  later  gifted  to  friends  at  6  inches  or  so.  My  current  flowerhorns,  ADOLF  and  RUDOLPH  are  being  grown  out  in  a  50  Gallon  partitioned  3  footer.  You  can  see  their  growth  in  their  respective  threads.  Only  one  of  them  will  get  to  keep  the  entire  tank  eventually  though.  So  the  the  answer  to  your  partitioning  querry  is  YES.

Use  a  mesh  for  partitioning  rather  than  glass/acrylic.  Having  a  free  flow  of  water  between  the  two  sides  has  many  benefits.  
 -  Though  it  acts  as  a  physical  barrier  for  the  fish,  it  doesnot  hamper  the  flow  of  nutrients  and  wastes.  Thus,  by  chemical  parameters,  both  fish  get  to  utilize  the  entire  volume  of  water  rather  than  only  half  of  it.  
 -  You  need  only  one  aerator  and  only  one  filter.
 -  Siphoning  out  wastes  and  topping  up  the  water  also  neednot  be  done  separately.
 -  The  fish  get  to  room  in  better  with  each  other.
 *  use  the  greatest  mesh  size  according  to  the  size  of  your  fish.  I  keep  two  to  three  partitions  ready  with  different  mesh  sizes  (  8  mm,  15  mm  and  1  inch  ).  As  my  fish  grow,  I  replace  the  partitions  in  increasing  order  of  mesh  size.  Greater  is  the  mesh  size,  less  hampered  is  the  flow  of  water  through  it  and  thus,  better  is  the  filtration.

FH  are  kept  both  in  barebottoms  and  substrated  tanks.  I  prefer  a  barebottom  since  it  makes  siphoning  easier,  is  easier  to  maintain  and  hosts  no  sites  for  colonization  by  pathogens.

It  you  are  planning  to  dd  substrte  and  other  decor,  keep  the  following  in  mind
 -  don't  use  sharp  chips/decor.
 -  know  that  flowerhorns  dig  a  lot.
 -  there  have  been  a  few  threads  posted  by  members  of  Flowerhornusa.com  wherein  the  fish  ingested  a  piece  of  gravel  causing  intestinal  obstruction  leading  to  herniation,  prolapse  and  death.  You  may  browse  these  to  note  their  experiences.  I  remember  one  thread  posted  in  round  July  2008  wherein  the  hobbyist  manually  removed  the  stone  by  taking  an  incision  on  the  constriction  ring  of  the  prolapsed  anus.  He  posted  photographs  of  the  entire  procedure.  The  fish  survived  then,  but  for  how  long,  I  know  not.
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 9:52 pm Post subject: Re: what all to keep in mind before buying a FH? Reply with quote

aand,  thanks  a  ton  kastor!  :)

keeping  your  advice  in  mind,  i  m  using  the  tank,  barebottom  itself,  
 so  far  for  the  food...
 im  gonna  try  the  starvation  technique.  lets  see  what  works  out.
 I  am  using  Ocean  free  Pellets(medium  size)  .

3  juvies  per  2  footer?  more  than  on  FH  in  the  same  partition  is  permitted?  favourable?juvi's  living  together?  
 im  getting  a  Golden  Trimac  baby  in  a  couple  of  days.  so  im  making  room  for  itnow.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: