229. Guest
230. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,770

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Oct 17, 2008 7:09 pm Post subject: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Hi  all  !

My  3  Fronts  are  not  eating  anything  else  except  live  bloodworms  and  freezedried  Brineshrimp.  I  tried  Tetrabits,  Hikari  Cichlid  Excel,  Hikari  Sinking  carnivore  pellets  and  many  others  etc  but  nothing  seems  to  work.  Any  ideas  ?  Please  help  me...

Also  please  guide  me  regarding  the  below-

1.  Which  is  a  good  fish  food  for  Color  ?
 2.  Which  is  a  good  fish  food  for  Growth  ?
 3.  What  are  other  good  live  foods  that  I  can  use  for  my  fronts  ?  I  have  tried  bloodworms  they  work  well.  I  have  huge  earthworms  but  I  dont  like  to  chop  them  as  they  bleed  a  lot...  I  tried  feeder  fish  but  my  fronts  are  too  yound  to  catch  them  I  guess...I'm  trying  to  get  shrimps  but  I  cant  get  any...  Please  advice  regarding  this...

Thanks  !
 Chinkz
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:06 am Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Can  anybody  help  me  here?
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:22 am Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Try  starve  them  for  a  few  days  and  then  feed  them  with  tetrabits  etc.
 Other  good  food  would  be  chopped  market  prawns,  mysis  shrimp.
 Try  alternate  between  food  types  so  they  don't  get  used  to  any  oe  type  of  food.
 What  size  are  your  fronts  ?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:42 am Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

once  your  fish  get  used  to  live  food  on  a  daily  basis,  there  will  be  problems  in  feeding  them  anything  else.
 Pradeep  has  given  good  advice.
Darvin
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:11 am Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Chinkz,

Tetra  bit  are  good  food.  They  might  be  used  to  of  live  food  therefore  not  eating  well.  You  can  follow  Pradeep  advise.  when  they  are  around  3  inch,  you  can  start  mini  pellet.  You  can  use  Hikari  Bio  Gold  Pellet.  Because  tera  bit  for  that  siz  frontosa  will  definitely  create  a  big  hole  in  your  pocket.

Please  give  variety  in  diet
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Dear  Chinkz
 Frontosas  are  very  fussy  about  foods  and  if  habituated  of  a  particular  food  then  they  will  refuse  to  take  other  foods   no  matter  how  good  they  are.
 Like  Pradeep  I  also  advise  you   to  starve  them  for  a  day  and  then  feed  them,  may  be  they  will  accept  it.
 For  Good  colouration  in  Fronts  any  food  with  spirulina  will  help.  All  Hikari  and  NLS  pallets  having  a  certain  percentages  of  Spirulina.  Also  dry  or  freezed  shrimp  or  market  available  prawns  (Properly  washed  in  salt  water  and  freezed)  will  maintain  their  daily  protein  needs.Our  Forum  Member  Jaychandrok  used  to  feed  them  spinach  once  in  a  week  and  got  good  results.
 Remember  fronts  are  very  slow  grower,  attain  only  6  inch.  in  2  years  and  8-9  inch  in  3-4  years,  because  they  are  used  to  live  in  high  pressure  zone  in  lake  Tanganika  and  having  a  normal  life  span  of  15  years,  So  naturally  they  got  adulthood  at  a  age  of  3-4  years.
 That’s  why  for  fronts  keeper  patience  is  very  necessary.Have  nice  fish  keeping.
 Regards
 Kaushik
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:35 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Here  is  one  of  my  big  boys.

The  diet.  
 I  get  5  large  fresh  prawns  every  week  from  my  friendly  fish  stall  owner  in  Johnson  Market  in  Bangalore.  He  does  not  charge  due  to  a  good  relationship  of  several  years.
 This  is  shared  by  the  six  of  them  fronts  during  the  whole  week.

The  fish  eat  uncooked  raw  and  without  fat  -   Pork,  Beef,  Mutton  and  Chicken.
 The  above  food  depends  on  what  is  cooked  in  the  kitchen  and  is  not  purchased  for  them.
 They  go  crazy  when  approached  with  the  food.

Branded  food  unless  they  are  starving  are  spit  out.
 This  is  the  first  batch  of  fronts  that  arrived  in  Bangalore.  Smile
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:06 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Hi  Friends  !

Thank  you  so  much  for  the  kind  replies  and  for  caring  !

Mine  are  3"  Fronts  and  I  have  them  in  a  4  Feet  -  250  Liter  tank.  I  know  its  small  for  them  but  I  guess  I  cant  afford  more  for  now...

Heres  a  video  of  my  tank  and  fronts  -  http://youtube.com/watch?v=rr2X66mK_0M

My  fronts  are  happily  taking  Live  Bloodwroms  and  also  freeze  dried  brine  shrimp.  But  I've  tried  more  than  20  types  of  imported  foods  and  with  no  success  atall  !  I'm  ready  to  spend  on  good  food  for  them  but  they  just  dont  seem  to  like  anything....

I've  tried  frozen  shrimps  (the  small  tiny  shrimps  that  one  gets  from  Supermarkets  for  human  consumption)  -  I  cut  the  shrimps  in  to  very  small  pieces  but  the  fronts  dont  seem  to  love  the  shrimps  either.  They  just  ignore  it...

I  have  unlimited  access  to  these  HUGE  Earthworms  (I  can  a  thousand  everyday  -  each  measuring  about  8"  !!!)  but  I  dont  like  to  cut  the  worms  alive.  They  bleed  a  lot  ad  it  gets  very  messy...  Any  ideas  regarding  this  ?  Can  the  fronts  take  bites  out  of  whole  earthworms  ?

Please  help  me  here  because  I  want  to  give  them  a  very  happy  life  and  I  want  to  enjoy  seeing  them  feed...

Please  help  and  guide  me...
 CHINKz
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:10 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                
Here  is  one  of  my  big  boys.

The  diet.  
 I  get  5  large  fresh  prawns  every  week  from  my  friendly  fish  stall  owner  in  Johnson  Market  in  Bangalore.  He  does  not  charge  due  to  a  good  relationship  of  several  years.
 This  is  shared  by  the  six  of  them  fronts  during  the  whole  week.

The  fish  eat  uncooked  raw  and  without  fat  -   Pork,  Beef,  Mutton  and  Chicken.
 The  above  food  depends  on  what  is  cooked  in  the  kitchen  and  is  not  purchased  for  them.
 They  go  crazy  when  approached  with  the  food.

Branded  food  unless  they  are  starving  are  spit  out.
 This  is  the  first  batch  of  fronts  that  arrived  in  Bangalore.  Smile                

WOW  -  he's  awesome  !!!  Thank  you  so  much  for  showing  a  pic  of  him  !!!  I  wish  mine  will  grow  like  tha  someday  Smile
 I  just  wish  they  start  eating  something  for  now  -  I've  even  tried  tiny  little  feeder  guppies  but  they've  become  great  friends  and  swim  together  now...lol...What  do  I  do  ?????
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:22 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Friends,  is  there  any  way  that  I  can  kill  the  Earthworm  before  cutting  him  up  in  to  smaller  pieces  ?
 I  have  even  tried  raw  shrimp  meat  and  raw  sea  fish  meat  but  they  dont  seem  to  like  it...
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Congrats.  You  have  a  nice  tank  and  good  looking  frontosas.
 Get  rid  of  all  that  firewood   Smile
 Your  fish  get  more  surface  area.
 Helps  in  easy  maintenance  and  easy  cleaning.

Just  pots  and   a  good  substrate  with  shells  will  do.

Keep  your  tank  a  frontosa  only  tank.  Get  rid  of  that  Yo-Yo  loach  and  other  non  fronts.

What  substrate  are  you  using???

Fronts  are  regal  fish.  The  are  rarely  greedy  eaters.  

The  best  food  will  be  fresh  prawns  from  the  market.  Keeping  less  decorations  will  help  you  keep  your  tank  clean.  The  fronts  should  grab  the  food  before  it  reaches  halfway  in  the  aquarium.

Avoid  feeder  guppies  as  they  could  carry  disease.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Hi  there  !

Thank  you  so  much  for  the  kind  words  !  I'm  really  so  happy  that  you  like  my  tank  Smile  Actually  this  is  the  first  time  I'm  keeping  Cichlids  and  I'm  happy  that  I'm  trying  to  do  my  best...  Thank  you  so  much  for  the  kind  advice  and  for  guiding  me...

Actually  its  artificial  wood  and  I  plan  to  remove  it  once  the  fronts  grow  a  little.  I  just  thought  that  they  love  to  swim  thru  the  caves  and  branches...

The  Loaches  are  just  to  keep  the  substrate  clean  -  I  will  remove  them  soon   (I  guess  the  fronts  will  do  it  for  me  once  they  grow  a  little...lol..just  joking)

I  couldnt  get  a  good  substrate  -  actually  I  wanted  to  buy  Coral  Sand,  but  I  cant  get  it  anywhere  -  any  ideas  on  where  I  can  get  it  ?  I  cant  really  afford  to  spend  to  much  but  I  will  try  my  best  to  buy  it  if  I  get  a  chance...

Regarding  Fresh  Prawns  -  Can  I  use  the  frozen  shrimps  that  come  cleaned  and  packed  ?  I  guess  my  fronts  are  too  small  to  eat  it  also  -  they  just  ignore  it...

For  now,  I'm  having  real  problems  because  these  guys  arent  eating  anything  except  live  bloodworms  and  pieces  of  earthworms  -  but  both  of  these  are  a  trouble  because  Bloodworms  may  bring  disease  and  though  I  have  a  earthworm  farm  nearby,  I  dont  like  to  cut  the  earthworms  alive...

Please  help  me  a  little  in  settling  these  guys  down  -  I  would  love  to  see  them  happy  and  growing,,,

Can  I  keep  a  few  brichardis  with  them  ?  any  place  where  I  can  get  brichardis  ?

Thanks  again  for  guiding  me  -  honestly,  I'm  so  grateful  to  you  -  Thanks  a  lot  !
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Oct 18, 2008 9:43 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Using  ordinary  river  gravel  of  2  -  3  mm  with  shells  will  do.

Fresh  prawns  are  better.  They  come  freshly  caught  only  with  ice.
 Frozen  prawns  are  dipped/washed  in  chlorine  and  preservatives  are  used  to  extend  the  shelf  life.  Never  mind  what  they  print  outside  on  the  pack.  Smile  

Earthworms  should  be  starved  so  that  they  gut  cleans  out  before  feeding.  I  think  two  days  should  do.  Store  them  during  the  period  in  a  box  with  a  damp  gunny  sack.
 Freeze  them  before  cutting.  Smile  

Avoid  bright  lights.  Lighting  is  only  for  your  viewing  pleasure  or  at  feeding  time.  When  not  necessary  switch  them  off.  Subdued  lighting  should  do.

Avoid  any  other  fish  if  you  want  them  to  grow  to  their  full  potential.  They  get  easily  frightened  and  startled  especially  when  they  are  in  a  drowsy/sleepy  mood.

Good  filtration.  And  a  clean  tank  will  help.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:23 am Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Friends,  any  idea  on  where  I  can  get  Mysis  Shrimps  ?  Also  is  there  a  Online  Aquarium  Shop  in  India  ?
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Oct 19, 2008 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Good Food for Frontosa Growth - Please Help Me Reply with quote

Chinkz,  You  are  a  lucky  guy.
 India's  king  of  cichlids  lives  in  the  same  town  as  you.  

You  better  start  directing  your  questions  at  him.  Just  make  sure  you  do  not  have  a  flowerhorn  around  when  he  comes  visiting.     Poke   ::   Knock  Banned
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: