197. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,801

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - driftwood
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

driftwood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations
View previous topic :: View next topic  
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 12:12 am Post subject: driftwood Reply with quote

hello  everyone
 i  am  curious  to  know  that  if  we  buy  driftwood  from  a  fish  shop  do  we  have  to  go  through  all  the  procedures  to  clean  the  driftwood  n  boil  it  in  hot  water  n  then  soak  in  a  drum  of  water  for  about  2  weeks..or  we  can  just  wash  it  a  couple  of  times  and  straight  away  put  it  in  the  aquarium..can  i  get  a  detailed  advice  on  this.
 thank  you
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 1:02 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  Rameez,

I  have  queries  on  driftwood  myself  and  have  posted  a  similar  thread,  although  it  relates  to  using  a  piece  i  found  on  the  seashore  rather  than  buying  it  from  a  LFS.

The  LFS'  will  probably  tell  you  that  they  have  kept  the  driftwood  immersed  in  water  for  at  least  30  days  to  remove  tanins  but  i  really  doubt  the  cleaning  they  would  have  done.

The  last  driftwood  piece  i  got  from  an  LFS  sank  like  a  brick  as  soon  as  i  put  it  into  my  tank  -  proof  that  it  had  been  kept  submerged  inside  water  for  a  while.  However,  the  LFS  guy  did  tell  me  to  clean  it  with  Potassium  Permagnate  solution  prior  to  introducing  it  in  my  tank.  

I  really  didn't  want  to  play  with  any  chemicals  that  could  pose  a  threat  to  my  fish  so  i  just  cleaned  it  with  a  brush  and  some  salt.

My  fish  received  the  wood  well  and  there  were  no  disease  outbreaks  or  any  other  abnormalities  30-60  days  following  introduction  of  the  driftwood.
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 03, 2009 4:30 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

hi  deejay,
 thank  you  for  the  reply  but  i  think  i  will  boil  it  in  hot  water  just  to  be  on  the  safer  side.boiling  wont  harm  the  driftwood  though.
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:36 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

hi  guys..
 sorry  im  restarting  this  topics  again,
 i  got  a  driftwood  from  my  LFS  today..firstly  he  was  adamant  on  the  fact  that  i  dont  buy  DF  for  my  tank  as  the  water  would  turn  black  but  i  still  bought  it.is  that  true?  and  he  asked  me  to  soak  it  in  water  for  2  days  before  putting  it  in  my  tank..what  can  i  do  to  make  sure  the  DF  is  going  to  be  safe  for  my  tank..please  advice  me  on  this.  
 As  deejay  had  said  before  that  i  add  a  little  potassium  permanganate  in  the  water  i  use  to  soak  the  DF.but  i  really  dont  know  how  to  get  that  here  in  dubai.any  other  alternatives.
 thank  you
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:11 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

If  your  LFS  told  you  that  your  water  will  turn  black,  it  means  that  the  driftwood  has  not  finished  leaching  out  tannins  yet.  You  can  alternate  between  boiling  and  drying  out  in  the  sun  for  a  few  days.  The  tannins  should  have  effectively  leached  out.  You  can  then  add  it  to  the  tank  and  make  water  changes  once  every  three  days  if  you  do  notice  more  tannins  being  leached  albeit  at  a  more  slower  pace.

I  would  prefer  not  using  PP  as  it  would  prove  disastrous  if  you  weren't  able  to  wash  it  off  completely  before  adding  it  to  the  tank.
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 2:21 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

thank  you  suraj  for  your  advice..but  how  long  should  i  boil  the  driftwood?  and  should  i  add  salt  in  the  water  when  im  boiling  it
 thanx
niroo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:23 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Its  not  the  case  that  the  Perticular  Driftwood  u  got  RAMEEZ  will  turn  your  water  color  BLACK..But  Its  the  general  habbit  of  LFS  that  they  suggest  DONT  USE  DRFTWOOD,,IT  WILL  CHANGE  your  WATER  COLOR....(May  be  they  dont  have  good  quality  wood  and  they  are  not  sure  of  its  ability  to  sink,  So  to  be  on  safer  side  they  must  be  giving  such  an  advice..so  no  one  shld  blame  them  after   Chuckle  )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
bmukh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2009 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

There  is  no  rule  about  how  many  times  we  need  to  boil.  This  is  what  I  do,  first  with  a  tooth  brush  try  and  clean  the  wood  thoroughly.  Then  boil  (or  dip  it  in  very   hot  water  as  awkward  size  and  shape  of  driftwoods  do  not  allow  me  to  boil  them  always  and  most  often  dip  them  in  hot  water)  a  few  times  over  a  week.  Each  time,  post  dipping  i  check  the  colour  of  the  water.  Starting  from  very  dark  brown  the  water   gradually  starts  showing   more  -acceptable  colour'---thats  when  I  clean  it  once  again  and  put  it  in  the  tank.  However,  there  is  no  guarantee  that  the  wood  will  sink  Thats  a  separate  exercise.  At  times  it  sinks  within  7  days  of  boiling  and  yet  there  are  times  when  it  takes  months.To  sink  it,  tie  a  heavy  rock  and  make  it  sink.  And  one  thing,  I  dont  think  it  is  a  good  idea  to  use  chemicals  because  there  are  those  unreachable  corners,  edgs  in  a  brunchy  drift  wood  which  one  can  never  clean.  The  chemicals,  if  not  removed  may  cause  havoc  later.

Hope  it  helps
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 2:31 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

hi
 i  soaked  the  driftwood  in  water  and  the  last  time  i   changed  the  water  it  was  really  yellowish..also  the  driftwood  sank  in  the  water  immediately.but  i  havnt  boiled  it  as  yet.so  im  going  to  boil  it  now  as   you  told  me  as  wait  until  the  tannins  released  drop  down  to  an  acceptable  level.
 thank  you  every1  for  your  replies
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  smartlove.  Please  advise  on  the  type  of  fish  you  have  in  the  tank.  Some  of  the  species  (particularly  amazonian  like  knives,  etc.)  love  wood.  

The  thing  about  wood  is  that  it  will  continue  to  release  tannins  for  quite  a  while  before  it  settles  down.

Some  hobbyists  on  the  other  hand  recommend  use  of  wood  to  balance  the  PH  in  the  tank.

I  had  experimented  once  with  a  branch  i  had  chopped  off  an  Amla  (yes  AMLA  !!!)  tree  from  my  backyard.  It  took  a  month  to  get  it  to  sink  and  for  the  water  quality  to  change  from  yellowish  brown  to  clear  transparent  but  once  it  did,  the  fish  (i  had  silver  sharks  then)  loved  it!  It  was  like  a  fish  magnet  and  they  would  worship  it  all  day  long   Cheering  

Potassium  Permagnate  crystals  are  freely  available  for  half  a  dollar  a  small  bottle  at  any  local  chemist  without  prescription  as  many  people  use  them  to  wash  veggies  and  deworm  them.

I  think  most  fish  are  pretty  hardy  so  i  am  not  a  big  fan  of  sanitizing  the  wood  to  the  point  that  it  becomes  completely  devoid  of  any  organism  (fat  chance  of  that  happening  anyways).  Cleaning  it  well  with  a  wire  guage  should  be  good  enough  IMHO.

Cheers  and  do  post  pics  of  your  tank/wood.
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:37 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

hi  deejay
 actually  my  tank  is  currently  having  a  pearl  arowana  which  is  about  3  inches.  a  pleco  a  spotted  catfish  and  2  angels.  i  am  planning  to  add  another  black  or  silver  arowana  to  the  tank.  at  present  its  a  80  gallon  but  i  am  soon  upgrading  to  a  180  gallon  tank.  the  driftwood  is  soaked  in  a  separate  bucket  but  its  still  releasing  a  lot  of  tannins.  i  have  also  soaked  some  rocks  i  picked  up  from  a  beach  in  the  water  along  with  the  driftwood.  do  you  think  it  will  be  safe  to  put  those  rocks  in  the  water  jus  after  soaking  them  for  a  while  or  do  i  need  to  boil  them  or  anything.  i  dont  want  to  use  any  chemicals  though
 thank  you
deejay
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 1:15 pm Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  Rameez,

Driftwood  and  Arrowanas  go  incredibly  well  together.  As  long  as  your  filtration  is  running  well  and  you  perform  regular  WCs,  i  don't  foresee  any  problem.

Heres  a  quote  from  arowana-care.com:   

"Arowanas  natively  inhabit  black  water  rivers  and  wetland  areas.  The  brownish-yellow  color  of  black  water  is  believed  to  contribute  to  the  bright,iridescent  colors  typical  of  many  black  water  fish  species,  including  Arowanas.   Vibrant  coloration  may  make  it  easier  for  species  to  spot  each  other  in  darkly  colored  water.  

Many  hobbyists  and  professional  breeders  prefer  to  reproduce  black  water  conditions  in  their  Arowana  aquariums.   Dried  Ketapang  leaves  are  used  to  promote  a  healthy  environment,  induce  spawning,  and  lower  the  pH  of  tank  water.  The  natural  organic  acids  released  by  the  leaves  may  help  absorb  undesirable  chemicals,  detoxify  the  tank,  and  reduce  the  population  of  undesirable  bacteria.

Peat  and  decayed  driftwood  are  two  other  black  water  additives  used  in  Arowana   tanks.   Commercially  prepared  “black  water  extract”  is  another  option.   When   creating  black  water  conditions,  care  should  be  taken  that  the  tank’s  pH  does  not  become  too  acidic  or  dip  below  6.5  –  7.0.   "

Regarding  the  rocks,  instead  of  boiling  them,  i  use  a  simpler  and  more  hassle  free  method.  After  cleaning  them  thoroughly  under  running  water  with  a  wire  gauze  or  brush,  i  simply  leave  them  for  a  few  days  on  the  roof  under  the  fierce  sunlight,  ensuring  that  anything  alive  on  the  rock  is  suburned  to  death   Chuckle   

Do  put  up  some  pics  of  your  new  tank  when  you  get  the  time.  Cheers!
smartlove_518
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 12:49 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

here  is  a  photo  of  the  driftwood  and  the  stones.  im  upgrading  to  a  new  180  gallon  tank  .so  i  will  post  pictures  of  the  tank  when  its  complete
 http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/smartlove_518/02032009035.jpg
 http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/smartlove_518/02032009034.jpg
 http://i728.photobucket.com/albums/ww289/smartlove_518/02032009033.jpg
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 6:38 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Hi  Deejay,
   Giving  a  link  will  be  more  appropriate  than  pasting  a  quote  from  another  website.  

Please  edit  your  post  and  give  only  the  link.

Arowana  care
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:09 am Post subject: Re: driftwood Reply with quote

Rameez,
 Also  ensure  that  the  driftwood  you  got  is  hardwood.  Other  types  will  mostly  rot  in  your  tank.  Some  LFS's  do  have  overpriced,  dubious  driftwood  pieces  with  origins  unknown!  Hope  you  weren't  taken  for  a  ride.  Alternately,  you  can  visit  your  local  timber  yard,  pick  up  roots  of  hardwoods  such  as  Teak  etc  for  free  or  for  a  xx  amount,  and  cure  them  yourself.  Curing,  however,  is  a  long  process.  So  try  to  find  a  well  weathered  piece  of  hardwood.  It'll  be  easier  to  cure   Thumb Up  .
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Substrates, Rocks, Driftwood and Decorations All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: