173. Guest
174. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,674

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:15 am Post subject: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

What  you  need:  2  liter  coke/pepsi  bottle,  aquarium  air-tube,  supper  glue,  200-300  liters/hour  internal  filter  with  air  intake  option,  1  packet  active  yeast,  1  packet  baking  soda.

1.  Drill  a  hole  on  the  cap  of  2  liter  coke/pepsi  bottle.  It  is  pretty  easy  to  drill  the  hole  with  a  pointed  kitchen  knife  just  keep  rotating  the  knife  point  at  the  center  of  the  bottle  cap  till  the  hole  is  right  fit  for  aquarium  air  tube.  Insert  the  air-tube  so  that  about  1  inch  of  the  tube  goes  into  the  bottle-cap,  then  seal  it  with  1-2  drops  of  "Supper  Glue".  

2.  Connect  the  other  end  of  the  tube  to  the  air  intake  of  the  internal  filter.  You  need  only  about  200-300  liters/hour  internal  filter  for  planted  tanks,  don't  buy  too  powerful  internal  filter  it  will  blow  up  dust  particles  rather  than  filter  them.     

3.  Fix  the  internal  filter  at  the  back  wall  of  the  aquarium  towards  one  end  of  the  aquarium,  this  will  create  circular  water  movement  and  when  the  CO2  bubbles  hit  the  front  glass  some  of  them  will  move  down  and  stay  in  the  water  for  longer  period  of  time  and  dissolve  better.   

4.  Fill  the  CO2  generator  bottle  upto  2/3  with  luke-warm  water,  add  1/2  cup  of  sugar(1/2  cup  =  125  ml  or  approx  100  grams  sugar,  don't  add  more  sugar  thinking  it  will  last  longer,  it  does  not),  shake  to  dissolve  most  of  it,  you  can  leave  some  undissolved  sugar  so  that  it  dissolves  slowly  later,  add  2  pinch  of  "Active  Yeast"  available  in  most  department  stores,  add  1  pinch  of  "Baking  Soda"(not  baking  powder  both  are  different)  again  available  in  most  department  stores.  Adding  pinch  of  baking  soda  will  make  the  CO2  generator  last  longer.  

5.  If  you  use  active  yeast  the  CO2  production  will  start  in  1/2  an  hour  and  last  for  10-14  days.  After  10-14  days  throw  out  the  yeast  solution  wash  the  bottle  with  hot  water  and  repeat  the  process.

[Edited:  i  am  using  2  liters  bottle  not  1  liter  as  mentioned  earlier]  here  is  the  picture.

Last edited by Maxv on Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:07 pm; edited 3 times in total
uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 12:34 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Does  this  setup  continue  to  run  at  night-times  too?  Confused
random2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:45 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

uv_umesh  wrote  (View  Post):                
Does  this  setup  continue  to  run  at  night-times  too?  Confused                

Umesh,  I  think  it  depends  on  the  size  of  the  tank  and  the  rate  of  production  of  co2.  If  its  a  smaller  tank,  its  better  to  stop  the  powerhead/filter  at  night  (assuming  its  not  the  only  filter  in  the  tank).  I  kept  it  on  at  night  and  have  not  faced  any  problems.

Maxv  -
 What  brand  of  yeast  do  you  use?  I  need  lot  more  than  a  pinch  of  general  bakers  yeast  (form  of  granules)  to  get  things  started.  And  baking  soda  too,  never  made  any  difference.  In  my  opinion,  step  4  cant  be  generalized.  It  varies  a  lot  and  people  might  have  to  fine  tune  on  things.
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:59 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Just  for  some  clarification...

1)  Lot  of  websites  i  read  (including  IAH)  mention  "cups"  of  sugar...can  somebody  give  an  idea  of  what  would  be  the  standard  measure  of  such  a  cup  ...ml  or  mg  ?  the  cup  which  i  use  at  home  would  be  approx  100ml  and  i  need  to  use  2  cups  for  a  2L  pet  bottle  giving  me  max  5  days  of  CO2....maybe  if  i  add  baking  soda  the  period  could  increase.

2)  I  use  a  teaspoon  of  granulated  yeast....in  what  form  is  active  yeast  available?

@  Maxv  -  are  you  actually  getting  10-14  days  from  a  1L  bottle?
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:13 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

Vikram,

I  get  21  days  in  winter  and  15  days  in  summer.  Please  reduce  the  quantity  of  yeast.  Use  only  8-12  granules  of  yeast  for  your  1  liter  DIY  CO2.  I  add  approximately  150gms  of  sugar  to  a  liter  of  water.  

Regards,
 Nayak.
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 11:21 am Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

@  Umesh
 When  i  started  the  CO2  setup  5  months  back  i  used  to  run  the  filter  full  time,  recently  i  switch  off  the  filter  at  night  but  the  CO2  will  still  be  running  and  it  will  simply  bubble  off  through  the  filter  nozzle.   

@  Deepak  
 Step  4,  I  am  using  fine  yeast  powder  (don't  remember  the  brand  my  wife  use  it  to  make  cake,  bread  etc)   you  can  use  normal  yeast  which  is  slightly  bigger  granules,  still  need  only  small  quantity  of  yeast  to  start  the  culture,  they  are  living  organisms  that  multiply  very  fast,  normal  yeast  may  take  about  3-4  hours  to  start  producing  CO2   once  it  starts,  will  keep  working  for  10-14  days  depending  on  the  room  temperature.
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 1:58 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

@  Nayak..

wow  15  to  21  days....is  this  a  1L/  2L  setup  and  are  you  running  multiple  bottles  in  parallel?  I  currently  have  a  single  2L  bottle  planning  to  upgrade  to  a  parallel  setup  with  2  x  2L  bottles.  So  the  suggested  recipe  for  a  2L  bottle  would  be   16  to  24  granules  yeast  and  300gm  sugar.  Is  that  correct  Confused   

I  have  a  50G  planted  tank  36x18x18"  and  I  am  diffusing  through  a  dymax  ceramic  diffuser....no  powerhead  as  i  already  have  the  filter  inlet,  spray  bar  ,  diffuser....and  i  don't   want  the  equipment  to  overcrowd  the  plants  and  fish   Chuckle  any  suggestions

cheers
drug
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 3:00 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

the_kamath  wrote  (View  Post):                
 I  am  diffusing  through  a  dymax  ceramic  diffuser                

Wouldnt  the  diffuser  need  a  higher  pressure  than  the  powerhead  setup  to  work?  That  might  be  one  reason  why  your  "milage"  from  a  single  mix  is  low.
 I  ran  a  50  Gallon  tank  with  three  3  litre  bottles  in  Parallel.  Each  bottle  was  changed  roughly  between  12-15  days.

Last edited by drug on Fri May 29, 2009 3:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

@  unni

ya  i  was  warned  about  the  Diffuser  throtling  the  CO2  production  but  assuming  my  mix  was  still  pumping  out  CO2  but  not  able  to  pass  through  the  ceramic  disc  then  there  should  be  a  CO2  bubble  forming  in  the  diffuser  or  the  pressure  within  the  bottle  and  tubing  should  be  high....neither  is  the  case.  Anyway  as  u  put  it  the  "mileage"  Chuckle  was  low  even  with  an  airstone..

I  have  seen  your  tank  on  the  forum  and  if  thats  what  3  bottles  can  do  then  here  i  come   Cheering  ....but  let  me  fine  tune  my  mix  in  one  bottle....if  i  can  increase  my  CO2  production  to  atleast  10  days  then  i  guess  i  will  be  on  the  right  track....then  i  will  increase  the  number  of  bottles.

Was  your  mix  similar  to  that  mentioned  by  Nayak?

cheers
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 4:54 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

You  might  have  a  leak  somewhere.
 2-3  table  spoons  of  sugar  in  1.5  liters  of  water  will  be  enough.

Too  much  sugar  yeast  multiply  too  fast  and  convert  more  sugar  to  alcohol.  
 Alcohol  content  reaches  11%  yeast  die  off.  Your  sugar  is  wasted.
 CO2  production  stops  faster.
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

@madan

yup  aside  from  the  mix....leaks  could  be  a  cause  for  CO2  to  stop  bubbling  in  tank.  I  will  reduce  the  number  of  connections  to  minimum  and  where  possible  i  will  super  glue  the  joints.

cheers
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 6:24 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

I  have  a  Nano  set  up  which  is  running  on  3  bottles  of  500ml.DIY  CO2.Each  bottle  is  lasting  upto  12  days-14  days.
 But  initially  they  used  to  last  for  only  a  couple  of  days.Then  two  things  happened.  One  the  sugar  jar  vanished  from  the  kitchen  cabinet.  
 Second  Trevor  and  Nayak  visited  my  place.The  moment  Nayak  stepped  inside  the  house  he  cautioned  of  the  Excise  guys   paying  a  visit  Chuckle   
 The  verandah  was   pervasive  with  the  smell  of  alcohol  .At  that  time  I  was  using  2  bottles  of  500ml  and  was  adding  heaps  of  sugar  and  generous  helping  of  yeast.  Chuckle  Then  Nayak  went  about  explaining  the  correct  procedure  to  rig  the  set  up.Then  CO2  supply  stabalised.
 Once  my  raiding  of  the  kitchen  shelf  stopped,  the  Sugar  Jar  mysteriously  re-appeared.  :)

Regards
 Dinesh.
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:54 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

is  the  alcohol  consumable???
 i  mean  i  don't  drink  but  my  friend  is  always  on  a  lookout  for  a  cheap  alternative.....I'll  be  happy  to  help  him...it's  recession  time.  :rofl:

jokes  apart.  i  too  have  a  2  liter  bottle.  but  i  used  1  glass  of  sugar  and  i  teaspoon  of  yeast.  it  runs  decently  for  7-10  days.  and  as  per  Madan  Sir's  comments  i  guess  it  is  because  the  alcohol  kills  the  yeast  pretty  soon.

so  now  on  I'll  follow  150  grams  of  sugar  and  25  granules  of  yeast.

also,  i  take  some  water  in  a  cup  and  mix  little  sugar  and  all  the  yeast  in  it.  then  i  mix  it  till  the  froth  starts  appearing......then  i  put  it  in  the  bottle.....

i  guess  it  is  called  as  activating  the  yeast.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:01 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

You  want  to  blind  and  turn  your  friend  into  a  vegetable  give  him  a  slug  of  the  brew.
 It  not  only  has  Ethanol  which  is  good  alcohol,  it  also  has  methanol  which  is  in  hooch.

ROFL
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 17, 2009 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: How to : Low cost DIY yeast CO2 setup Reply with quote

@  Vikram  

1  cup  =  250ml  metric   (1  US  cup  =  236.588237  ml)  i   use  standard  1/2  measuring  cup,  you  can  buy  a  set  of  plastic  measuring  cups  from  brigade  Nilgiris,  Foodworld  etc  they  are  inexpensive  Rs.20-50  depending  on  the  quality.  the  measuring  set  will  have  1  cup,  1/2  cup,  1/3  cup,  1/4  cup  etc.

BTW  i  am  using  2  litters  bottle  not  1  liter  as  mentioned  earlier,   i  have  corrected  it  in  the  main  post  as  well.   

The  trick  to  make  the  yeast  culture  last  longer  is  to  use  the  optimum  quantity  of  sugar,  if  we  use  too  much  sugar  the  alcohol  concentration  will  go  up  very  fast  and  the  yeast  colony  will  die  off.  

I  tried  1  cup,  1/2  cup,  1/4  cup  etc,   1/2  cup  sugar  for  2  liters  bottle  seems  to  work  best.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: