201. Guest
202. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,815

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Community Tank would like to add Oscars.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Community Tank would like to add Oscars.

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:09 pm Post subject: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Guys  I  am  very  keen  to  keep  Oscars  in  my  Tank.
 but  its  a  community  tank.

We  have  90%  of  the  fish  as  Cichlids
 There  are  5  Green  Jaw  Terrors.  2  Red  Zebra,  5  Jewel.  Two  Silver  Dollars.   Two  Sucker  Fish.  Two  Puffer  Fish.
 All  are  young  fish  i.e.  Under  3"

More  tanks  will  get  added.   For  sure.

But  the  fun  is  in  having  a  variety  of  fish  to  look  at.
 As  long  as  nobody  is  getting  hurt  I  see  no  harm.
 Also  as  long  as  the  Temps  /  PH  etc  are  the  same  for  the  fish  no  harm.

Is  there  any  hope  of  me  keeping  Oscars  in  such  a  setup.  
 Im  not  thinking  long  term  i.e.  when  they  become  huge.  By  then  I  will  give  them  their  own  tank.
 Just  thinking  over  the  next  1  year.

First  I  thought  if  they  where  small  they  could  not  bully  anybody.
 So  I  tired  with  3  small  Oscars  1/2"  but  they  where  bullied  into  a  Corner.
 Next  bet  is  to  get  slightly  larger  guys.

If  it  gets  bad  will  return  the  fish  to  the  shop  or  put  them  in  a  separate  tank.

But  if  you  guys  say  there  is  no  chance  of  them  getting  along  then  I  wont  even  try.

Pls  advise  ?

Im  ok  with  dedicating  a  tank  to  them  once  they  grow  to  full  size  or  over  take  the  Cichlids.
 Is  there  even  a  slim  chance  of  them  getting  along  as  they  are  all  small.
 Last  time  it  was  the  Jewel  that  troubled  them  the  most.  Im  willing  to  give  away  all  my  Jewel  to  keep  a  pair  of  Oscars.
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 4:19 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Chinoy,

Drop  the  idea  of  keeping  Oscars  in  the  community  setup.
 1.  Small  oscars  will  get  bullied  as  was  the  case..
 2.  With  larger  Oscars  the  chances  of  them  getting  bullied  by  your  GTS  are  also  high  and  probably  also  by  the  jewels.  Even  if  they  fight  back,  which  is  unlikely  since  they  would  be  the  new  entrants,  you  would  have  a  blood  bath..
 3.  Having  an  idea  of  keeping  Oscars  in  a  community  setup  for  1  year  is  also  wrong.  Given  proper  food,  PH  and  temp  as  you  have  mentioned,  1  year  is  a  sufficient  time  for  the  Oscar  to  grow  near  its  full  potential..

These  was  general  caution..  For  fishkeeping..
 1.  I  see  you  alredy  have  18  fishes,  of  which  atleast  3  varieties  grows  out  pretty  large  in  the  tank..  What  is  your  tank  size???  I  am  getting  a  feeling  you  are  already  overstocked,  and  as  the  time  goes,  your  fishes  grows,  you  would  have  battle  in  the  existing  setup  as  well..  and  that  I  can  bet  would  much  less  than  a  year...

Get  a  separate  tank  for  oscar  -  90  gallon  for  a  pair  and  see  them  grow  giants..  I  can  assure  you  would  enjoy  every  moment  of  it..

Regards
 Subhankar
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

small  oscars  need  separate  tanks  till  they  grow  to  atleast  4-5"  

and  oscars  will  get  to  8"  within  the  first  year

and  your  tank  is  seriously  ill  stocked  

and  one  more  thing  puffers  aren't  to  be  kept  with  cichlids
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:36 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Chinoy.  the  green  terrors  as  name  suggests  will  turn  nasty  in  some  time.  i  have  had  one  and  saw  the  extent  to  which  it  can  do  the  damage.

if  you  want  to  keep  south  american  cichlids,  at  the  most  Salvini  can  be  afforded  as  they  don't  grow  very  big  and  are  not  very  very  aggressive.  

it  is  very  much  advisable  that  you   keep  one  variety  of  cichlid  with  its  own  type.....eg:  malawi  lake  cichlids  with  the  malawi  ones,  tanganyikans  with  tanganyikans  etc.

rest  i  think  you  should  have  a  pure  South  American  cichlid  tank  and  introduce  all  at  a  time  is  you  want  to  keep  south  american  cichlids.
 it  must  have  a  great  filteration  and  it  must  be  huge.  anything  less  than  a  5  x  2  x  2  is  not  an  option.

if  you  want  to  keep  a  lone  oscar  then  a  70-80  gallon  tank  will  be  fine.  i  had  an  albino  oscar  all  alone  in  a  55  gallon  tank.  and  the  growth  was  explosive  as  well  as  the  colors  of  the  fish.  if  you  want  to  witness  the  personality  of  oscar  fish,  keep  it  alone  in  a  separate  tank.
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 5:51 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Chinoy,

How  would  you  feel  if  you  were  kept  in  a  prison  cell  with  a  stinking  drug  addict,  a  7  foot  homosexual  african  native,  a  hardcore  taliban  terrorist,  a  psycho  serial  killer  and  a  cannibalistic  pygmy?

There  is  something  called  fish-compatibility,  which  I  think  already  does  not  exist  in  your  current  set-up.  Putting  in  an  oscar  would  worsen  the  situation.
Natrery
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 7:20 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

i  would  just  directly  say  "  You  cannot  keep  an  oscar  or  even  in  that  tank  with  the  fishes  you  have"  .

Good  luck  with  the  the  other  fishes!   Thumb Up
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 29, 2009 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

@Alistair  :   ROFL  

Alistair  is  correct  Chinoy....you  are  having  a  mess  in  there.  i  mean  i  can  understand  the  urge  to  find  anything  beautiful  and  buy  it  but  it  is  always  better  to  do  some  research  than  just  buying  it  psecially  when  it  comes  to  cichlids......  also,  never  trust  some  of  the  LFS  guys.  i  was  lucky  that  my  LFS  guy  used  to  clearly  tell  me  "NO"  and  there  are  a  few  who  do  it  .  but  instead  of  listening  to  them  it  is  always  very  good  to  know  what  fish  you'll  be  adding.  so  that  the  fish  and  the  fish  keeper  both  live  peacefully.
 because  once  it  starts  getting  ugly.  you'll  surely  not  like  fish  killing  each  other  just  beacuse  you  put  them  in  that  situation.

just  on  the  other  hand  ,  and  more  like  a  general  observation  of  mine   i  have  seen  many  people  selling  the  fish  as  a  pair.  and  actually  many  people  asking  for  a  pair.  now  the  pair  is  not  the  male-female  pair.  they  just  want  two  fish  who  look  alike  so  the  fish  can  have  a  chat  in  the  tank  and  swim  together  and  make  merry.

this  backfires  for  cichlids  for  two  reasons.
 1.  the  most  brighter  ones  are  usually  males  and  so  more  pricing  and  so  more  sale,  why  sell  the  drab  females.
 2.  cichlids  just  don't  like  other  male  of  the  same  species  near  them.  one  will  certainly  kill  the  other.  unless  if  you  have  a  lot  of  males  together.

hope  this  helps.

at  least  remove  the  Green  terrors,  silver  dollars(what  are  they  doing  in  this  tank),  Puffer  fish(one  of  my  friend  had  this  and  the  puffer  coolly  took  out  the  eye  of  the  other  fish).

keep  only  mbunas(and  avoid  getting  two  of  the  same  varieties)  and  at  all  cost  avoid  this  fish  
 click  the  link

best  of  luck  Thumb Up
Chinoy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 3:08 am Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Thanks  Guys.
 Ive  just  fired  up  a  new  Tank  And  all  the  Jewel  Fish  have  been  shifted  into  it.
 With  the  Dirt  and  and  spare  filter  in  the  established  tank.

They  will  probably  go.  Dont  like  them  much.  Their  where  picked  up  by  the  kids.
 Or  fire  up  another  tank  for  the  oscars.
 One  tank  is  6ftx2.5.  the  other  is  3ftx1.5and  the  next  one  planed  is  a  4Ftx2x2.

In  the  Oscars.  Id  like  to  pick  something  nice.
 So  we  have  albino,  Black,  and  Tiger  eye  right.
 Ive  seen  some  oscars  that  look  superb  and  some  that  look  really  bad.  (Color  wise).
 Dont  want  to  get  stuck  with  a  crappy  looking  fish.  

So  far  no  fights  in  the  tank,  Nobody  has  lost  any  eyes.  
 I  do  not  think  Im  over  stocked.   For  the  size  of  the  tank  and  the  layout  and  the  size  of  the  fish.  If  the  fish  grow  maybe.  Its  been  what  4  months  and  I  see  very  little  growth.

In  fact  you  have  to  look  really  hard  to  see  the  fish.  All  you  see  is  water  and  Huge  tank.  Familly  is  after  me  to  dump  all  the  tiny  fish  and  get  something  right  to  match  the  tank.  But  the  LFS  want  absurd  rates  for  large  fish.  
 Nobody  is  bullying  anybody.  Except  The  Red  Zebra  is  still  the  alpha  male.  He  chases  everybody  around  the  tank  to  see  if  he  can  get  some  action.
 All  he  wants  to  do  is  shake  in  front  of  them.  I  have  never  seen  him  bite  or  bump  anybody.  Just  frantic  chasing.  So  he  can  get  in  front  of  them  and  do  his  shake  and  shimmy.   This  goes  on  all  day.  The  rest  of  the  fish  are  cool.
 They  all  have  their  own  Chill  out  spots.  Where  they  hang  out.  Ive  taken  broken  pots  and  put  them  up  against  the  glass  to  form  little  caves.
 Beats  putting  Thermcole  or  the  fiberglass  Edit  the  LFS  sells  into  the  tank  I  feel.

Yes  the  problem  of  getting  two  males  or  all  males  is  a  big  issue.  That  I  haven't  found  a  solution  to  yet.
 Ive  been  told  they  inject  them  with  Hormones  or  breed  more  males  for  better  color.  

Yet  to  master  the  art  of  venting.  And  the  LFS  doesn't  take  kindly  to  my  wanting  to  Vent  his  fish  lol

I  get  the  feeling  the  puffers  will  need  their  own  tank  with  salt  water  soon.

Ps:  One  of  my  Red  Zebra  is  Bright  Orange.  The  other  guy  is  very  light.  The  Light  Guys  seems  to  be  the  male.  Both  have  spots  on  their  tails.
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 30, 2009 10:40 am Post subject: Re: Community Tank would like to add Oscars. Reply with quote

Chinoy  wrote  (View  Post):                
So  we  have  albino,  Black,  and  Tiger  eye  right.
 Ive  seen  some  oscars  that  look  superb  and  some  that  look  really  bad.  (Color  wise).
 Dont  want  to  get  stuck  with  a  crappy  looking  fish.  

You  have  Albino,  Albino  Copper,  Red  and  Tiger  Oscars,  along  with  veiltail  in  each  of  the  varities..
 Juvenile  Oscars  always  look  ugly...  you  should  take  the  oscar  at  a  juvenile  stage  and  grow  them  up..  Larger  oscars  are  difficult  to  tame...

Chinoy  wrote  (View  Post):                

So  far  no  fights  in  the  tank,  Nobody  has  lost  any  eyes.  
 I  do  not  think  Im  over  stocked.   For  the  size  of  the  tank  and  the  layout  and  the  size  of  the  fish.  If  the  fish  grow  maybe.  Its  been  what  4  months  and  I  see  very  little  growth.

On  overstocking  the  growth  rate  of  your  fish  decrease  considerably..  because  their  effective  swimming  space  also  reduces...Even  if  you  have  removed  the  Jewels,  with  GTS,  Puffers  in  the  tank,  I  will  still  say  that  you  are  overstocked...
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: