123. Guest
124. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,866

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Aquarium Stands/Racks
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Aquarium Stands/Racks

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 4:49 am Post subject: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

Hi,

I  am  willing  to  get  a  rack  or  a  large  stand  to  keep  my  present  2  tanks,  and  keep  some  more  space  their  for  the  future  aquariums/other  stuff  to  come.

What  all  material  do  you  guys  advise?
 Metal,  Wood,  or  any  other  material...
 Any  one  dealing  into  any  such  thing  at  Delhi  may  pl  PM  me.

Also,  what  cost  may  I  expect  if  I  want  to  make/buy  a  3  level  rack  for  huge  tanks  like  a  2-3  footer  on  each  level.

My  present  set-up  for  all  these  is  leaving  very  less  room  for  my  self.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 8:55 am Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

Go  on  a  welding  shop.  Tell  him  about  approx  weight  and  size  only.  The  welder  will  fulfill   your  all  other  queries.
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:49 am Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

i  recently  had  a  small  rack  made  for  3  30  gal  tanks  i  had  lying  around.  it  can  hold  tanks  of  length  2.5  ft  x  1.5x1.5  ft.
 yeah  small  ,no  doubt  but  still  can  hold  quite  a  bit.
 total  cost  including  the  carpenter's  charges  less  then  3.5  k.have  yet  to  paint  it  though

heres  a  pic
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:00 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

@p_crazy,  do  you  think  that  this  stand  can  hold  360+  kg  (3*30*3.78+tank  weight)  ?  How  thick  are  the  vertical  supports  ?
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:04 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

Scorpio  wrote  (View  Post):                
Go  on  a  welding  shop.  Tell  him  about  approx  weight  and  size  only.  The  welder  will  fulfill  ¬†your  all  other  queries.                

I  went  to  a  welder  and  gave  him  dimension  for  the  three  level  rank  I  needed  (for  a  180  gal.  tank  and  three  2ft-3ft  tanks).  I  was  returning  from  work  so  I  was  dressed  accordingly,  and  the  Welding  Shop  guy  looked  at  me  and  the  car  I  arrived  in  and  quoted  Rs.  15,000.  That  weekend,  I  went  to  another  welding  shop  in  the  same  area  on  my  old  Hero  Honda  Splendor  dressed  in  shorts  and  a  t-shirt,  and  the  price  for  the  exact  same  set-up  went  down  to  50%  of  the  previous  quote.

(This  is  why,  I  think,  we  need  to  relax  this  "don't  quote  prices"  rule  at  least  just  for  equipment  like  racks  and  stands.)

Aquafin,

I  think  metal  angles  are  lot  cheaper  than  the  good  quality  wood  you'll  need  to  support  this  tank.  (This  is  the  case  in  Bombay.  I  don't  know  if  the  same  holds  true  for  Delhi.)

1.  Calculate  how  many  running  feet  of  these  angles  you  are  going  to  need.  (Get  help  from  IAH  or  your  LFS  to  ensure  you  have  the  design  right)
 2.  Go  to  a  hardware  store  where  they  sell  the  metal  angles  and  find  out  the  cost/kg  for  this  and  the  number  of  kgs  your  set-up  is  going  to  be
 3.  So,  after  buying  the  equipment  directly  from  the  hardware  store,  you  just  have  to  negotiate  labor  with  the  welding  guy  which  should  be  a  lot  easier  than  negotiating  the  cost  of  the  entire  build.

Good  luck,
 Sid
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:12 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

pcrazy....what  a  coincidence!  I  made  a  very  similar  stand(with  thicker  wooden  bars)  a  week  back  for  my  two  tanks  as  well  for  a  50g+30gtanks.
 what  wood  is  this?
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

U  will  get  iron  angle  approx.  Rs.  32-35  +labor  charges  of  welder  per  foot.  in  Delhi.
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:14 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

mod-the-pc  wrote  (View  Post):                
@p_crazy,  do  you  think  that  this  stand  can  hold  360+  kg  (3*30*3.78+tank  weight)  ?  How  thick  are  the  vertical  supports  ?                

yes  sir,i  have  one  such  stand  already  in  the  back  veranda.its  3  ft  long  and  have  2  bigger  tanks  in  the  lower  2  rack  and  2  small  tanks  end  to  end  on  top,no  probs  in  3  yrs  at  least.
 just  get  good  quality  wood.about  thickness,i  guess  il  hav  to  measure,
mod-the-pc
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

p_crazy  wrote  (View  Post):                
yes  sir,i  have  one  such  stand  already  in  the  back  veranda.its  3  ft  long  and  have  2  bigger  tanks  in  the  lower  2  rack  and  2  small  tanks  end  to  end  on  top,no  probs  in  3  yrs  at  least.
 just  get  good  quality  wood.about  thickness,i  guess  il  hav  to  measure,                

Oh  okay.  I  wanted  to  make  a  stand  for  a  4x1.5x1.5  and  have  a  hard  time  deciding  between  wood  and  steel.  From  what  I  hear  from  you  wood  seems  to  be  cheaper.
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:29 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

i  just  measured  its  3x3  inches.looks  thinner  na.  the  length  looks  shorter  than  75  cm  too.guess  its  the  pic  angle  and  because  of  the  phon  cam.
 i  also  had  a  stand/table  made  for  one  of  my  4ft  tanks  together,it  has  6  legs.  dont  have  a  pic  just  yet.
 @  hamza,i  dont  know  the  wood,but  told  my  carpenter  that  it  had  to  be  strong  and  went  with  him  to  the  shop.
 @venkat,  both  my  4x1.5x1.5  tanks  are  one  similar  6  legged  stands(wood)  ones  been  there  for  about  7  yrs  now.
 but  for  such  tanks,i  dont  think  multiple  story  racks  would  work  unless  the  stand  was  made  really  very  thick.
alpha91

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 1:40 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

Humaid  got  a  good  rack  made  from  a  welder  really  cheap,  and  its  doing  great  AFAIK.  He  got  it  made  out  of  box  pipes.  He  got  it  done  to  place  3  2ft  tanks  on  each  level*3  levels..  He  got  it  made  under  3k..
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

I  recently  got  a  stand  made  for  my  4ft  tank.  I  made  a  Google  Sketch  drawing  to  make  the  grill  shop  guy  understand  what  exactly  I  wanted.
 Here  are  the  pics  I  made........
 The  stand  came  out  exactly  like  the  pic  I  gave  him.

Regards
 Prabhu  M

aquafin
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 9:58 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

Appreciate  the  feedback  from  all  of  you!

I  was  just  thinking  of  going  further  with  this  plan  soon  and  grab  the  final  plans  ASAP.

So  as  Rajeev  said,  in  Delhi  it  should  be  around  Rs  32-35  /sq  ft  +  labour,  I  am  considering  to  make  a  3  floor  rack  of  around  3ft  length,  to  house  2  tanks  I  have  presently  and  my  future  plans  for  making  1  3ft  tank  and  keeping  the  stuff  like  the  food,  medications,  pumps,  etc  etc  on  the  ground  floor.

So  what  my  calculations  suggest,  the  run  around  area  would  be:

3'x2'x1.2'  (LxWxH)  each  floor.

3  floor  rack

total  steel  area  =  3'x2'x3  =  18'

The  top  floor  is  for  the  current  tanks,  mid  floor  for  the  3  ft  tank,  may  be  to  house  a  Cichlid  or  something...  and  bottom  for  the  etc  etc

So,  am  I  going  the  right  angle?  or  I  am  too  impractical  or  something???
Balashark
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 14, 2010 10:21 pm Post subject: Re: Aquarium Stands/Racks Reply with quote

When  i  got  my  rack  made,  the  fabricator  told  me  a  strict  no  for  the  box  pipe  as  they  dont  last  as  much  as  the  L  angle.  Due  to  the  high  chances  of  water  falling  on  them  and  then  the  regular  mopping  in  the  house,  is  enough  to  start  the  rusting  from  inside.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: