50. Guest
51. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,880

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right filter
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right filter

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Filtration Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kunjanchoksi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:36 am Post subject: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right filter Reply with quote

I  am  relatively  new  to  keep  cichlids  after  a  year  of  keeping  goldfishes.  But  now  I  am  serious  about  my  hobby.  I  have  a  sponge  and  under  gravel  filter  with  2  plates  (not  connected  with  any  pipes  or  air  flow).

I  think  both  these  filters  are  not  clearing  the  fish  bio  waste  on  the  gravel  and  probably  also  not  effectively  pumping  enough  water  to  circulate  oxygen.  

Please  suggest  a  best  filter  both  in  functioning  (must  be  noise  free  since  tank  is  just  outside  my  bed  room)  and  economical  also  (only  one)  for  my  29"  X  15"  X  18"  inch  tank.  (28  Gallon  total  capacity).  Also  advice  how  to  clear  the  fish  excretions/bio  waste  lying  on  and  within  the  gravel.  I  have  7  cichlids   and  planning  to  make  it  upto  12  cichlids.

Regards
 Kunjan  M  Choksi
 Vadodara

Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:50 am Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

get  a  powerhead  which  circulates  water,  and  a  canister  filter  suiting  your  needs.

if  your  budget  is  tight,  get  top  filter,  which  comes  with  powerhead.
JBRs
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:54 am Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

Dear  sir,

You  can  go  for  Canister  filter  with  UV,i  think  this  will  solve  your  problem,  cost  wise  sunsun  HW  303B  is  economical.

Regards:JBR
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

kunjanchoksi  wrote  (View  Post):                
 I  have  a  sponge  and  under  gravel  filter  with  2  plates  (not  connected  with  any  pipes  or  air  flow).

I  think  a  undergravel  filter  is  supposed  to  to  be  connected  to  a  airpump  to  function.  if  it  is  not  connected  to  anything  it  will  not  function.
 If  you  budget  is  tight  get  a  internal  power  filter  or  HOB.
VenkatRaju
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 3:12 pm Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

12  Cichlids  in  a  28  Gallons  tank  ?

What  species  are  you  housing  in  that  tank?

Are  they  African  cichlids  or  South  American

Most  South  American  cichlids  grow  pretty  large  and  will  be  too  much  for  a  tank  of  that  size.

First  connect  the  Foam  filter  and  Under  Gravel  filter  to  air  pump  outlet,  then  you  will  be  having  two  working  filters(One  Foam  and  one  UG  filter.
 You  can  get  a  good  quality  top  filter  or  a  HOB  filter  for  much  less  than  1K  and  fill  it  up  with  good  media.

All  3  combined  will  be  more  than  sufficient  for  a  tank  of  that  size   Thumb Up  

Internal  Power  Filter  is  also  effective,  but  will  cause  a  strong  current  in  the  tank,  and  more  so  in  a  of  smaller  size.
devansh95
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 5:01 pm Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

top  filter  will  make  dripping  noise,  canister\external  filters  are  a  little  pricey  even  for  small  tanks,  best  will  be  internal  filter  od  bodyguard\dolphin  ,  no  need  of  using  sponge  &  undergravel  filter  with  internal  filter,  if  internal  filter  makes  noise  u  can  lower  noise  by  controlling  air  inlet  pipe.  Clean  gravel\sand  2  times  a  month  as  cichlids  want  good  clean  tank.  Smile
Nick993
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:29 pm Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

devansh95  wrote  (View  Post):                
top  filter  will  make  dripping  noise,  canister\external  filters  are  a  little  pricey  even  for  small  tanks,  best  will  be  internal  filter  od  bodyguard\dolphin  ,  no  need  of  using  sponge  &  undergravel  filter  with  internal  filter,  if  internal  filter  makes  noise  u  can  lower  noise  by  controlling  air  inlet  pipe.  Clean  gravel\sand  2  times  a  month  as  cichlids  want  good  clean  tank.  Smile                

top  filter  makes  noice?  i  have  2  of  them  ,  and  they  dont  make  any  noise  :/
 it  would  make  if  the  water  level  and  filter  is  too  far  off,  even  if  that  happens,   ucan  attach  a  pipe  to  increase  the  length  of  pipe  or  u  can  increase  the  water  level,  either  of  it.
devansh95
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:51 pm Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

@nick993-  yes  well  if  you  attach  a  pipe  it  wont  make  noise-  but  i  have  seen  many  in  which  a  pipe  does  not  reduce  the  noise  completely  as  the  output  begins  to  leak,  still  if  there  are  some  really  good  ones  that  dont  leak,  go  for  them.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 10:48 pm Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

UG  filters  are  generally  not  to  be  used  in  a  cichlid  tank  as  most  of  them  are  diggers  and  they  would  ultimately  expose  the  plates  underneath.  As  told  by  others,  go  for  a  hob  or  a  top  filter.
kunjanchoksi
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:33 am Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

Any  major  issue  with  Internal  power  filter?What  is  the  downside  if  strong  currents  are  created  in  the  tank?
devansh95
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Cichlid New Tank - 29 X 15 X 18 - Which is the right fil Reply with quote

you  can  always  change  the  direction  of  the  flow  towards  the  side  glass  that  reduces  the  current  besides  take  a  filter  apt  for  your  tank,  do  not  take  any  filter  with  very  high  turnover  (10  times),  i  never  had  problem  with  currents  as  i  keep  medium-  large  cichlids,  small  fish  might  face  problem,  the  high  current  also  is  useful  is  cleaning  debris  stuck  in  gravel/sand  hence  making  the  sand  cleaner.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Filtration Equipment All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: