111. Guest
112. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,426

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 12:49 pm Post subject: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Having  read  up  over  the  years  about  aquatic  plant  tissue  culture,  I  now  have  all  that  is  required
 for  starting  off,  unfortunately,  I'll  be  leaving  in  the  first  week  of  August,  but  still  want  to  start  off
 on  it,  anyone  willing  to  experiment,  we  can  start  off  this  Sunday  afternoon  29th  July.

I'll  need  plastic,  preferably  polycarbonate  (microwave  safe)  clear  bottles  of  about  150  ml  capacity,  to  begin  with.
 Any  idea  where  I  can  find  them  in  Bangalore  ?

I  also  need  25%  v/v  Dimethyl  sulfoxide,  any  idea  where  this  can  be  sourced  ?

Only  serious  guys  please,  you'll  have  to  bring  along  a  few  things  like  clear  bottles,  blades,
 agar  or  gelatin,  rubber  bands,  plastic,  small  hard  plastic  cutting  board,  surgical  gloves,  forceps,
 multivitamin  tab,  antibiotics  etc.,
 It  may  or  may  not  succeed  in  the  first  attempt,  but  we'll  have  to  work  on  it  by  tweaking  repeatedly  for  each  plant  species.
 This  work  can  be  done  on  your  dining  table  !
 The  main  thing  we  need  to  worry  about  is  contamination,  as  that  will  kill  the  culture  before  it  can  begin.

This  is  not  some  kind  of  Sunday  activity  that  you  try  for  fun,  because  if  the  plants  do  grow,  there's  a  lot  of  hard  work
 to  follow,  and  space  to  grow  out  the  plants  in  small  pots  !
arvindshetty
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:45 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Madan  what  exactly  does  this  project  all  about?  Just  curious  Smile  
 How  tissue  culture  is  related  to  our  hobby?  
 You  come  up  with  some  or  the  new  ideas/  things  to  pioneer  the  hobby   Rock On
nikhilsood1
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

I  think  I  want  to  give  this  one  a  try.  Success  or  not  will  be  a  learning  for  sure.  Let  me  see  what  I  can  do  about  the  bottles  &  Dimethyl  sulfoxide.
kshitij
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 1:53 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Hi,
 Very  happy  to  see  a  thread  on  tissue  culture.
 I  am  not  at  all  a  scientific  guy,  behind  my  friend  for  science  who  owns  a  tissue  culture  lab  and  together  we  did  many  tryouts  I  must  say.  We  have  tried  tried  Anubias  nana  tissue  culture  about  4  times  and  failed.

Next  week  we  will  start  again,  with  3  different  protocols  on  Anubias.  We  will  also  try  any  super  fast  plant  like  hrdrophilla  and  a  crypt.

@Madan  :
 Can't  be  there  with  you,  but  will  keep  all  posted  and  look  forward  for  your  updates.  Smile
Binesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:05 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,

For  polycarbonate  (microwave  safe)  i  am  not  sure  but  Maggi  has  launched  something  called  as  "juicy  specialz"  which  are  curry  gravy's,  the  polythene  used  for  it  is  micro  wave  safe  however  i  am  not  sure  if  it  is  indeed  polycarbonate.

cheers,
 Binesh
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:16 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Wow,  I've  been  thinking  about  trying  this  for  ages!  I'm  in!
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:30 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

arvindshetty  wrote  (View  Post):                
Madan  what  exactly  does  this  project  all  about?  Just  curious  Smile  
 How  tissue  culture  is  related  to  our  hobby?  
 You  come  up  with  some  or  the  new  ideas/  things  to  pioneer  the  hobby   Rock On                

Arvind  some  initial  trouble,  if  there  is  success,  we  share  info,  and  stop  paying  enormous  amounts  
 for  aquatic  plants  !
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:32 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

kshitij  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi,
 Very  happy  to  see  a  thread  on  tissue  culture.
 I  am  not  at  all  a  scientific  guy,  behind  my  friend  for  science  who  owns  a  tissue  culture  lab  and  together  we  did  many  tryouts  I  must  say.  We  have  tried  tried  Anubias  nana  tissue  culture  about  4  times  and  failed.

Next  week  we  will  start  again,  with  3  different  protocols  on  Anubias.  We  will  also  try  any  super  fast  plant  like  hrdrophilla  and  a  crypt.

@Madan  :
 Can't  be  there  with  you,  but  will  keep  all  posted  and  look  forward  for  your  updates.  Smile                

Kshitj,
 For  Anubias  you  need  to  use  the  flower  to  succeed  !
 Leaves,  Rhizomes  will  not  do  !  They  have  never  worked  !
 Now  get  your  Anubias  to  flower  !
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:43 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Quote:                
 stop  paying  enormous  amounts  for  aquatic  plants  !                    

Aah  I  like  this.  Thanks  Madan.  Wish  you  success  in  this  venture.

Pio
worlimen
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 2:44 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Hi,

would  love  to  be  a  part  of  this  team,  but  unfortunately  i  am  in  mumbai,  we  do  have  a  place  in  south  mumbai  known  as  dava  bazar,  i  spoke  to  a  person  in  a  shop  there  &   they  do  have  Dimethyl  sulfoxide  in  pure  form&  it  comes  in  1/2ltr  bottle  let  me  know  if  u  want  me  to  send  it  from  here.

regards,
 peter
Cherry
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Wow...that  is  really  a  good  start  Madan  Ji,  But  we  have  to  take  care  of  the  sterility  while  transferring  the  cultures  in  the  media.Since  I  had  done  it  quite  a  few  times  during  my  studies,  I  recall  the  environment  as  well  as  the  media  must  be  extremely  sterile  to  avoid  contamination.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

If  you  need  some  tips/help,  my  younger  brother  has  a  doctorate  in  Microbiology  and  is  currently  working  as  Associate  Professor  in  Delhi  University  South  Campus.
 He  is  a  part  of  International  Collaboration  in  Rice  Genome  Project.
 http://www.du.ac.in/index.php?id=270&fmember=2733&cid=337
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:20 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Shanai  what  did  you  use  as  a  biocide  in  the  media,  I  still  haven't  found  a  source  for  a  good  biocide,
 but  still  going  ahead,  hoping  for  the  best  !
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:31 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Who  are  all  coming  ?
 We  cannot  have  a  big  time  workshop,  as  there  will  be  a  lot  of  cleaning  required  to
 let  many  people  work  !  In  which  case  people  have  to  bring  Ethanol,  bleach,  
 liquid  detergent  and  a  few  1  to  1.25  liter  clear  plastic  jars  with  them  to  make  their  own  media   for  sterilizing  !

Whoa,  just  found  out  while  typing,  wide  mouthed  glass  bottles  of  100  -  150  ml  size  are  the  only  option  we  will  have  to  keep  things  cheap  !
 We  also  need  a  metal  cap  for  these  or  a  tight  fitting  plastic  cap  !  Any  source  for  this  ?
Cherry
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2012 3:33 pm Post subject: Re: Aquatic Plants Tissue Culture Reply with quote

Madan  Ji,  I  mainly  did  it  for  Bamboo  cultures  during  my  MSc  and  we  used  to  use  a  mix  of  fungicide  and  germicide.
 I  do  not  remember  the  exact  name  and  composition.
 Give  me  some  time,  by  eod  I  will  try  to  find  out  some  biocide  which  can  be  useful  to  us.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: