183. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,837

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - River Sand
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

River Sand
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:20 pm Post subject: River Sand Reply with quote

Hi,
 Just  read  in  the  forum  somewhere  that  river  sand  available  at  the  construction  site  can  be  used  in  planted  tanks.  Was  just  wondering,  by  river  sand,  do  you  mean  this?..

Just  wanted  some  bulk  in  my  tank.  If  yes,  how  to  condition  it  before  putting  it  in  my  tank?.

I  am  planning  to  put  this  sand  in  a  bottom  layer,  laterite  substrate  at  the  mid  and  german  black  soil  as  the  top  layer.

Thanks
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:01 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

raggz,
 Yes,  that  is  the  sand..  but  we  don't  use  it  as  it  is.
 we  use  only  the  the  bigger  grains  which  we  get  after  sieving.  the  finer  sand  is  discarded.  Rinse  the  sand  to  remove  the  fine  dust  particles  till  you  get  clear  water  while  rinsing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 11:33 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Thank  you  Nidhi

I  see  lots  of  shells  (snail  or  smthing  else  may  be).  It  may  hav  a  -ve  effect  on  the  water  chemistry  in  the  long  run  (the  sand  lays  at  the  bottom  n  covered  by  laterite,  but  still)

Its  a  pain  in  the  a**  removing  it  manually.  So  adding  HCL  to  the  sand  my  only  solution?

Thanks...
Nidhi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Unless  you  have  fishes  which  need  very  soft  water,  you  need  not   worry  too  much  about  the  snail  shells.
 Any  how,  while  sieving  you  can  remove  as  much  as  possible  from  the  coarse  sand..
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 7:49 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

The  laterite  should  be  at  the  bottom  with  river  sand  on  the  top.  Try  to  get  out  as  much  of  the  shells  as  possible  by  sieving,  manual  removal.  You  can  also  to  an  acid  wash  to  dissolve  and  remove  the  shells  but  make  sure  that  you  follow  all  the  necessary  precautions  while  doing  so  and  wash  the  sand  thoroughly  before  use.  
 The  ideal  particle  size  is  2-4mm
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 17, 2013 8:18 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Thank  you  mortis

But  River  sand  on  the  top?..  hmm..  Doesnt  that  ruin  the  aquascape  compared  to  brown  "good  looking"  laterite?

Is  there  any  use  of  river  sand  regards  nutrients?  Or  is  it  just  for  the  purpose  of  bulking  the  tank  for  aquascaping?

thanks
 Raghu
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2013 9:47 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

River  sand  is  totally  inert.  there  are  no  nutritional  advantages  with  sand.

It  is  used  as  a  top  layer  because  plants  take  root  better  in  sand  than  with  laterite.  I  have  always  used  DIY  substrate  (only  in  my  latest  tank  have  I  started  using  contro-soil),  and  my  layers  used  to  be  as  follows;
 bottom  most  would  be  vermi-compost  (not  much,  just  a  few  tsp  depending  on  tank  size)
 next  a  very  thin  layer  of  coco  peat  (  Just  enough  to  cover  the  entire  area)
 next,  red-soil  (about  an  inch  thick)
 Then  top  it  off  with  1.5in  of  sand.

I  never  used  laterite  only  because  of  its  unavailability  in  Chennai.  However,  you  can  use  laterite  as  the  second  layer  right  below  the  sand.

Using  soil  as  the  top  layer  should  be  avoided  as  soil  has  the  tendency  to  compact.

In  terms  of  aesthetics,  river  sand  comes  in  a  number  of  shades;  from  very  light  beige  to  darkish  brown  and  some  have  even  mentioned  black.  You  can  try  to  hunt  for  a  darker  shade  if  you  like.
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 10:45 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Thank  you  Athreyan,

Ok  here's  what  my  layers  will  be:

Bottom  layer  -  Dead  leaves  (Need  help  whether  to  use  or  not,  or  to  mix  it  with  red  soil)
 Layer  2  -  vermi  compost  and  Coco  Peat  (Need  help  regarding  the  availability  in  retail  in  Bangalore)
 Layer  3  -  Mineralized  Red  Soil
 Layer  4  -  Laterite
 Layer  5  -  River  Sand

Totally  it  will  be  3  -  3.5  in.

AM  i  missing  something  here?

Thank  you
 Raghu
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 12:45 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Yup,  that  should  be  good!
 I'm  not  sure  about  the  dead  leaves  though.not  really  necessary.  Also,  since  it  is  decaying  matter,  it  may  lead  to  ammonia  &  nitrogen  spikes  &  possibly  anaerobic  gases.
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 3:02 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Thumb Up   Thumb Up
navneethtk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 7:47 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

you  can  get  coco  peat  at  lalbagh  for  a  good  rate  or  at  any  gardening  store.
 after  you  put  each  layer,  press  it  down  to  remove  the  air  in  between  and  then  put  the  next  layer.
 see  that  the  laterite  is  finely  crushed,  i  made  a  mistake  of  having  5-6mm  granules  in  my  tank  and  it  was  near  to  impossible  for  my  plants  to  grow  well.  and  as  athreyan  said  the  river  soil  should  be  seived  and  yes  manually  remove  the  shells  unless  you  want  to  add  fish  which  like  soft  water.

the  red  soil,  carefully  get  it,  best  place  to  get  it  is  from  a  new  dug  out  construction  site,  careful  if  you're  buying  from  a  garden  store,  ask  them  if  it  is  mixed  with  anything!

Good  Luck  Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 9:54 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Dead  leaves  are  not  necessary  they  will  lead  to  organic  content  in  tank.
 Bottom  most  layer  laterite,  topped  by  sieved  river  sand  is  sufficient.
 Sieve  it  twice,  once  by  a  1mm  fine  sieve,  throw  away  finer  particles,  second  time  by  3  mm  sieve,  throw  away  bigger  particles.
 Now  you  have  perfect  particle  size  between  2-3  mm.
 If  there  are  too  many  shells  in  sand,  give  it  acid  treatment,  else  they  will  buffer  your  water  and  keep  it  hard.
 You  can  also  use  peat  etc.  in  lower  layers  but  in  very  small  quantities.
jabba
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 10:34 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Except  for  the  dead  leaves  layer  the  composition  you  have  posted  is  very  good....
 Please  note  that  you  need  only  a  little  of  the  vermi  compost.  Just  a  very  very  thiun  layer  of  less  than  a  cm.  It  creates  lots  of  heat  so  should  be  used  in  less  quantities  only
Athreyan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 11:19 am Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

vermi  compost:  not  even  a  layer!  just  sprinkle  a  few  spoons  of  it  at  the  bottom.  For  my  3ft/42G  tank  i  used  about  4  teaspoons.  So  you  can  imagine  the  quantity.  Adjust  accordingly  for  your  tank  size.  just  sprinkle  it  all  over  the  bottom.
raggz
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 20, 2013 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: River Sand Reply with quote

Thanks  for  correcting  guys.  I  was  about  to  add  a  KG  of  vermicompost  as  a  bottom  layer.  Surprised  

Noted...  Thumbs Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: