58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Building aquarium without bracing
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Building aquarium without bracing
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 10:53 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Hi  tetraman

Quote:                
Question  is  what  difference  does  it  make  if  the  bracing  is  done  on  the  inside  edge  as  done  by  aquadeep  or  on  top  of  the  edges  as  done  by  Harshal?                  

There  will  be  a  big  difference  if  you  decide  to  do  this.  The  idea  of  doing  this  kind  of  bracing  is  to  evenly  distribute  the  pressure  along  the  full  length  of  the  front  and  back  glass.  Without  it  the  support  only  comes  from  the  edges  and  there  is  a  buildup  of  pressure  toward  the  center  of  the  glass,which  can  cause  cracks.  Since  you  are  using  a  smaller  width  of  glass(2inches)  it  is  strong  and  prevent  such  buildups.  Hope  I  have  made  the  idea  clear.

Regards
    Harshal.
tetraman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Hello  Harshal,

What  I  meant  to  ask  was  should  I  do  the  bracing  on  the  inside  edge  or  on  top  of  the  edge  as  done  by  you  and  if  there  are  any  advantages  choosing  one  over  the  other.

Now  that  I  am  going  to  brace  the  tank,  is  12mm  thickness  necessary?  Will  8mm  or  10mm  suffice?  I  still  do  not  want  to  cross  brace  front  to  back.

Tetraman  Smile
GEM
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 2:01 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

If  you  are  planning  a  hood.  It  can  double-up  as  a  support.

If  not  you  can  even  plan  an  open  wooden  support  -which  can  additionally  hide  your  "water  line"  [marks]  and  give  an  aesthetic  look.

Only  thing  is  that  -don't  forget  to  keep  the  top  in  place  before  filling  in  the  water,  or  it  will  not  fit  in  after  filling  to  the  brim!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 3:51 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Frankly  Tetraman,
 the  tanks  shown  by  fellow  hobbyists  here  dont  look  bad  either  and  best  of  all  it  is  a  lot  safer  (esp.  with  a  three  year  old  around)
 wish  you  all  the  best!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
harsh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jan 24, 2007 6:19 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

@tetraman

Read  your  thread  just  now,  and  IMO  the  lengthwise  braces  you're  planning  will   be  sufficient  enough.  I  myself  built  a  36"x24"x24"  tank  a  couple  of  weeks  back   without  any  braces  using  12mm  Glass.  Tested  it  with  water  filled  to  the  brim  for  4-5  days,  didn't  leak  or  bend  or  bulge  at  all  but  i  put  on  two  3"  braces  widthwise  of  the  tank  just  to  be  safe.  I  didn't  go  fot  lengthwise  braces  cause  the  glass  supplier  would  charge  me  for  them  then  and  the  small  pieces  were  available  for  free  Wink.  

But  it  is  easy  to  say  that  'i'll  make  a  tank  my  self,  why  pay  so  much  to  the  prefessionals!!'  but  very,  very  difficult,  especially  when  you  do  it  for  the  first  time,  believe  me  i  know.  

It's  freakin  frustrating  to  get  right  angles  with  all  the  slipping  and  sliding  going  on,  it  took  me  and  three  of  my  friends  to  make  that  tank.

(Note:  Buy  a  new  silicon  gun,  don't  save  a  100  bucks  and  ask  your  LFS  guy  to  lend  his  crappy  one,  like  i  did)  

Just  make  sure  you  get  the  angles  right,  that's  the  trickiest  part.   

Whatever  you  do,  don't  start  making  the  tank  before  reading  every  post  in  this  thread:  

http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/diy/13669-diy-all-glass-tank-ada-style.html
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Jan 27, 2007 9:00 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Tetraman,  You  have  a  pm!   Smile  
 wish  you  all  the  best   Thumb Up
brojo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 7:52 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Check  these  two  links  out

http://saltaquarium.about.com/gi/dynamic/offsite.htm?zi=1/XJ&sdn=saltaquarium&cdn=homegarden&tm=30&f=11&su=p284.5.420.ip_&tt=2&bt=1&bts=0&zu=http%3A//www.fnzas.org.nz/glassthickness.0.html

http://saltaquarium.about.com/cs/aquariumdiy/l/blcustomtank.htm

First  one  is  a  very  scientific  and  authentic  article  on  the  subject,  the  second  one  is  a  quick  calculator/guide  to  length  and  depth  of  a  tank  and  glass  thickness.
Deepak_Brid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 10:23 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

tetraman  wrote  (View  Post):                

Question   is   what   difference   does   it   make   if   the   bracing   is   done   on   the   inside   edge   as   done   by   aquadeep   or   on   top   of   the   edges   as   done   by   Harshal?   

Now  that  I  am  going  to  brace  the  tank,  is  12mm  thickness  necessary?  Will  8mm  or  10mm  suffice?  I  still  do  not  want  to  cross  brace  front  to  back.

1.  Between  the  two  way's  of  doing  it
 -  Harshal's  way  is  the  easiest  -  Put  the  Silicon  over  the  edge  of  the  Aquarium,  rest  the  brace  &  leave  it  to  cure(Kindly  check  the  manufactures  recommendation  for  ideal  curing  time).  The  way  I've  done  it  requires  some  prior  experience  to  get  the  positioning  &  angle  right  the  first  time  else  you  end  up  smearing  the  panes  with  Silicone  &  an  inefficient  joint.  It's  a  3"  wide  brace.

-  I've  done  it  the  way  I've  as  I  wanted  to  have  a  clear  upper  edge  &  I  could  use  the  offset  to  rest  a  condensation  plate  &  cover,  so  as  to  avoid  evaporation  &  kids  popping  in  food  &  articles.  Harshal  is  the  best  person  to  comment  on  why  he  did  it  the  way  he  did  Smile

2.  Which  ever  way  you  choose  -  both  of  have  our  aquariums  in  perfect  shape  &  can  vouch  for  the  same.  In  either  case  you  do  not    need  the  front-to-back  brace.

3.  With  20"  height  -  I  would  advise  you  use  12mm  all  over.

All  the  best  Thumb Up  

-Deepak  Brid
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 28, 2007 12:07 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Hi  tetraman

I  agree  with  deepak,  his  way  dose  require  more  skills.  But  both  the  ways  the  purpose  is  served  If  you  are  extremely  particula  about  the  look  than  go  ahead  the  way  deepak  has  done  it.  If  it  is  ease  of  doing  it  that  u  are  looking  for  then  do  it  the  way  its  done  in  my  tank.  

Use  a  12mm  or  over  thickness  for  support,  this  way  your  tank  will  remain  very  strong  and  resistant  to  leaks  and  cracks.  I  have  used  12mm  supports  for  my  tank(12mm  glass).

All  the  best  Buddy   Thumb Up  ,  remember  to  post  pics   Very Happy   

Regards
   Harshal.
tetraman
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 31, 2007 9:47 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Hello  all,

Been  away  for  a  few  days  and  so  could  not  respond.

I  have  been  researching  a  bit  myself  and  taking  all  into  account,  I  am  re-considering  wether  I  should  DIY  or  not.

Safety  was  a  prime  concern  for  me  and  I  did  not  want  my  inexperience  to  comprimise  that.
 3  year  old  +  DIY  large  aquarium  +  limited  space  =  DISASTER.

There  still  is  a  hughe  urge  in  me  to  DIY  it  which  I  am  trying  to  supress.

Thank  you  all  for  the  inputs.  

Tetraman  Smile
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 8:53 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

I  understand,  Tetraman.  Having  a  3  your  old  at  your  feet  when  you  work  is  always  a  pain  especially  when  you  are  working  on  something  like  this.

My  son  is  always  behind  me  imitating  everything  that  I  do.  Yesterday,  he  was  busy  trying  to  siphon  out  dirt  from  by  bare-bottom  discus  tank  !!  Surprised  

Lucky,  my  discus  didn't  jump  out.   Cheering
Sibesh
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 9:39 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

You  have  no  prior  experience  on  building  a  Tank,  my  suggestion  would  be  ..leave  it  for  a  professional  or  give  a  try  to  some  smaller  one  like  2  feet  or  3  feet  before  going  for  a  4  feeter.
 3-4  months  ago  I  made  my  2X1.5X1.5  tank  and  that  was  my  1st  try.  I  faced  lot  of  problems  which  I  did  not  think  of.  Although  I  went  through  various  forums  on  DIY.
 I  don't  have  a  3  your  old,  but  a  2  months+  old.  I  am  already  wondering  what  will  happen  once  she  is  little  older  !!!

Sibesh
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 01, 2007 4:48 pm Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Quote:                
My  son  is  always  behind  me  imitating  everything  that  I  do.  Yesterday,  he  was  busy  trying  to  siphon  out  dirt  from  by  bare-bottom  discus  tank  !!                  

Suraj,  don't  discourge  him  -  teach  him!  That  way  you  can  supress  his  curiosity  and  he  will  look  forward  to  just  assisting  you  rather  than  doing  it  himself!
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 8:32 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Hi  Guys,
            I  have  a  6x2x2  (180  g)  (12  mm  glass)  tank  without  any  bracing,  it  has  a  bulge  in  the  middle.

Very  worried  now,  Any  suggestions  please.

Regards  
 Rahul.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2007 10:59 am Post subject: Re: Building aquarium without bracing Reply with quote

Aquadeep  wrote  (View  Post):                

-  I've  done  it  the  way  I've  as  I  wanted  to  have  a  clear  upper  edge  &  I  could  use  the  offset  to  rest  a  condensation  plate  &  cover,  so  as  to  avoid  evaporation  &  kids  popping  in  food  &  articles.  Harshal  is  the  best  person  to  comment  on  why  he  did  it  the  way  he  did  Smile

-Deepak  Brid                

Rahul,
   I  would  go  with  Deepak's  suggesion.  I  fell  this  is  the  best  way  to  safe  gaurd  the  front  and  back  bulging.

Raghu
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: