78. Guest
79. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:33 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Serverum  Kid,

9kg  cylinder  for  18  months  for  a   4  x  2  x  2  planted  tank  ?   Surprised   are  u  sure  ?  ,   or  is   the  cylinder  fitted  with  a   solar  powered  co2  generator  ?   Chuckle  

regds  
 vraghu
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:47 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Means  producing  CO2  from  Photon  particles.......   Surprised   ............  More  than  a  Si  Fi  project  it  will  look  like  ..............
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 8:54 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

9  kg  for  18  months  running  a  single  tank  is  very  much  feasible.  My  22  kg  cylinder  runs  5  tanks  for  14  months.

It's  no  Sci-Fi  project,  make  all  connections  leak  proof,  invest  in  a  good  regulator,  use  a  reactor  to  dispense  CO2.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 9:58 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Not  to  mention  about  the  needle  valves..  Which  are  also  main  sources  of  leak.  And  if  all  these  does  not  leak  and  one  has  a  stable  setup  i  suppose  a  Co2  setup  can  easily  last  like  whats  mentioned.  Like  i  have  had  a  7kg  run  for  around  an  year  feeding  my  only  planted  tank.  now  i  have  a  solenoid  connected  to  a  timer  and  is  feeding  2  tanks.  Need  to  check  how  long  will  this  last.

Raghu
harshal
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 10:16 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Hi

I  think  i  had  posted  this  about  a  couple  of  months  ago.  My  7kg  cylinder  lasted  me  for  about  14  months  for  a  4  *  1.75  *  1.75  ft  tank.  I  am  using  a  controller  for  the  tank  but  the  co2  pumps  for  about  20  hrs  a  day.  at  a  very  high  bubble  count.  I  am  maintaing  my  PH  at  arround  6.7  -6.8.  
    So  I  would  say  definately  possible  for  a  9kg  to  last  for  16-18  months.

Regards
   Harshal
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:18 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Tirthankar  you  seem  obsessed  and  are  missing  the  very  basic  point,  any  number  of  DIY  CO2  generators  will  be  useless  to  get  the  CO2  up  there  in  the  tank.

What  are  you  going  to  do  when  the  CO2  production  is  too  much?  Shut  off  a  valve  letting  CO2  into  the  tank?

Are  you  going  to  install  a  non  return  valve  between  the  reactor  and  the  DIY  generator?  You  can  never  provide  a  steady  state  environment  as  far  as  CO2  is  concerned  and  with  the  lighting,  God  will  bless  algae.

All  the  best  with  your  DIY  CO2  generator  and  4  x  2  x  2  tank.

If  you  have  limitations,  why  don't  you  downsize  the  tank  to  where  a  DIY  CO2  will  work?
nytyn
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 11:34 am Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

First,  let  us  know  if  you  are  looking  to  setup  a  planted  tank.  If  the  answer  is  yes,  what  most  of  us  would  advise  you  would  be  an  Eheim  2217,  a  pressurized  CO2  setup,  with  reactor,  and  also  solenoid  hooked  up  with  lights,  or  lights  and  CO2  on  induvidual  timers.

You  could  either  install  two  150  Watt  MHs,  or  go  in  for  6  tubelights.  However,  I  would  lean  towards  the  MH.

And  since  you  live  in  a  hot  place,  its  a  necessity  to  have  a  chiller  for  your  tank.  PERIOD.

I  know  a  friend,  who  keeps  some  amazing  plants,  and  they  grow  well  too.  And  in  summer  most  of  them  melt  away,  as  he  lives  in  a  hot  place  too.  His  name  starts  with  V,  and  his  surname  is  Amano,  in  our  circle!

Jokes  apart,  I  would  suggest  you  the  above,  and  options  for  plants  are  endless.

You  could  take  a  look  at  Harshal's  tank  pic,  for  starters  on  ideas.  

I  would  suggest  a  full  floor  of  glosso,  alongwith  with  Anubias,  Java  ferns  and  driftwood,  to  provide  you  the  depth  and  contrast.

Like  I  said,  the  permutations  and  combinations  are  endless!

But  all  this  holds  good  ,  if  your  answer  to  the  question  on  top  is  YES.

If  its  a  no,  then.....  I  dont  know  what  to  say.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Ya...talking  about  lasting  of  the  cylinder,  I  think  that  a  soleniod  will  help  emmensely...

I  feel  sorry  for  the  situation  Tirtha,  since  I  know  how  pricey  the  chillers  are....
 but  using  gallons  of  ice  will  also  be  futile  for  such  condidtions...

Best  thing  is  to  keep  the  tank  in  your  AC  room  and  keep  the  AC  on..but,  you  will  loose  money  on  the  power  bills..
   Sad
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Thanks  every  one...  I  got  the  point.  

Let  me  find  out  a  way  to  get  pressurized  CO2  setup  here  in  Gurgaon.  For  next  6  months,  I  don't  want  a  chiller  so  I  have  bit  time  to  save  some  money  for  that  also.  2217  is  in  my  list,  so  I  will  get  that  also.  It  will  take  time  to  built  the  tank....  But  I  think....  Late  is  better  than  never.   Smile
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:24 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

An  Eheim  2217  is  not   as  important  to  a  planted  tank  as  important  a  presurrised  co2  setup  is.
deepesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2007 2:34 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

Well  that  45C  is  the  reason  why  my  moss  is  in  the  fridge.

Thanks  Madan,  Trevor  and  Ravi  for  that  tip.

deepesh
swapnils
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 11, 2007 4:30 pm Post subject: Re: Plant Selection For 4x2x2 :: Suggestions Welcome Reply with quote

I  think  this  short  article  will  help  to  somewhat.....even  im  goin  to  put  up  things  as  told  in  this  article  after  exams.
 http://www.fishlore.com/fishforum/aquarium-plants/11697-general-guide-low-light-planted-tanks.html
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: