197. Guest
198. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 796
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 796

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,834

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shishirkamat
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Nov 23, 2008 10:35 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Hi  Nayak,
 It  was  too  early  to  end  the  thread  Smile  I  think  you  should  restart  the  thred  due  to  such  fantastic  support  from  fellow  Hobbyist.With  such  strong  support  from  guys  like  Trevor  i  think  it  would  not  be  difficult  to  retart  again
 Regards
 Shishir  kamat
nikhilsood1
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 12:09 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak,

I  have  read  this  thread  in  amazement  everyday.  You  will  have  a  surprise  gift  from  my  side  when  i  get  home  on  the  17th  of  December.  Get  a  2ft  tank  ready  with  soft  water.  Ph  somewhere  around  5.  A  few  pieces  of  wood  as  well.  See  you  soon.

Regards
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 8:51 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak,
 You  stop  this  thread  anywhere  soon,  I  would  join  hands  with  Trevor  in  putting  you  on  the  next  Chandrayan.   I  already  know,  there's  lot  more  to  go  on  your  part  and  the  tanks  and  tubs  still  running  in  your  office  and  terrace.   So  0  is  a  false  statement.
 Apart  from  the  amount  of  info  about  fishkeeping,  this  thread  is  unique  in  one  front.   More  than  the  info  on  specifics,  it  pens  down  the  path  of  a  man  who  just  started  aquariums  as  a  decor  to  his  home,  got  into  it  and  made  it  an  integral  part  of  his  self.   I  know  many  of  us  are  in  the  same  lane  but  never  thought  of  recollecting  them  and  obviously  penning  down  so  much  of  info  was  considered  next  to  impossible.   I  know  it  takes  a  long  time  for  you  to  recollect  and  pen  down  so  much  that  too  with  pics,  but  you  do  owe  us  this.
 Stop  this  thread  and  you  are   Banned
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 9:54 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Wow,  Nayak  you  are  getting  a  gift  from  Nikhil  Sood  when  he  comes  down  from  Scotland.  
 You  can  collect  a  two-foot  tank,  stand  and  driftwood,  which  is  already  with  me.  
 Courtesy  Mayur.
 So  you  get  ready  and  restart  the  thread  again.
 And  that  is  an  order.

This  is  one  of  the  best  threads  ever  written  on  any  aquatic  website.  There  is  a  massive  info  about  fish  keeping  and  is  unique  on  several  fronts.

The  true  story  of  a  Indian  aquarist  and  the  road  blocks  he  faces,  how  he  overcomes  the  hurdles  even  from  his  spouse,  kids  and  factory  and  still  is  able  to  do  a  good  job  and  breed  fish.  

This  thread  is  an  eye  opener  for  all  newbie  aquarists.  You  are  now  a  candidate  for  the  Man  Brooker  prize  for  aquatic  threads.

So  get  off  your  high  horse  and  restart  the  thread.  
 And  this  is  final  or  else.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

This  is  one  of  the  best  threads  ever  written  on  any  aquatic  website.                  

Amen.
 Not  only  best  thread  on  any  "aquatic  "  website,  but  any  hobbyist  site.
 I  would  further  propose  that  this  thread  be  given  place  on  front  page  of  site.
 Nayak,  eagerly  waiting  for  further  updates.
 Your  thread  has  helped  me  a  lot,  I  show  it  to  my  wife  and  say,  "See  there  are  guys  like  these,  and  you  think  I  am  too  much".  
 She  agrees  with  me,  and  I  go  and  buy  a  fish,  ROFL   ROFL
mayurdev
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:29 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Nayak  GO  ON,  Please  do  not  stop,
 I  know  there  is  a  lot  more  that  you  can  add  to  this  thread.
 Two  years  there  is  lots  thet  you  have  done,  including  an  aquatika,  few  fishing  trips  and  more,  you  can  also  write  about  your  dog  but  go  on  and  complete  the  thread.
 Nayak  you  have  opened  Pandoras  Box,  stopping  this  thread  is  not  an  option,

Thumb Up  

All  the  best  for  the  special  surprise  gift  from  nikhil.  Hope  the  tank  and  stand  i  have  offered  you  will  serve  the  purpose.  If  there  is  anything  else  you  need  to  set  up  the  tank  you  know  whom  to  call.

Trust  me  all  you  need  to  say  you  are  starting  with  your  fish  room,  We  will  make  sure  you  will  get  all  the  help  you  may  need.
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:42 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

I  am  sure  there  was  a  lot  of  development  from  Dec  2007  too.
 Please  do  not  stop  this,  we  @  IAH  really  enjoy  this,  become  a  must-read  for  me  nowadays.
 The  details  in  which  you  have  described  the  progression  is  quite  outstanding.

Cheers,
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

The  carrot  and  stick  approach  to  get  me  back  into  the  dentist's  chair  again.

What  clinched  my  mind  was  
 "You  Bugger,  Or  else  you  are  the  astronaut  for  the  next  Chandrayana.  One  way  trip,  You  go  there  and  stay  there.  Don't  come  back"

With  seniors  and  friends  like  this  how  can  I  fail?

Here  goes...

Jan-07

One  Saturday  evening  I  got  a  call  from  Trevor  asking  me  if  I  could  be  able  to  collect  an  consignment  he  was  receiving  from  Chennai.  On  agreeing  to  do  that  he  asked  me  to  come  early  morning  on  Sunday  to  is  house  and  collect  the  authorization  letter  since  the  consignment  was  in  his  name.

I  did  as  I  was  told  and  on  reaching  his  house  with  the  consignment  was  delighted  to  find  out  that  it  was  live  Blood  worms.

Live  Blood  worms  were  not  available  in  Bangalore  then.  Having  no  choice,  in  trying  to  breed  fishes  as  well  as  to  get  the  Fry's  to  grow  fast,  we  were  using  Tubifex  worms.  We  were  using  precautions  like  keeping  them  in  small  buckets  with  water  changes  twice  a  day  to  purge  them  of  any  contamination.  Feeding  them  to  the  fishes  was  usually  done  after  about  three  days  of  this  quarantine.  But  to  no  avail,  since  we  were  continuously  loosing  fishes  and  Fry's  to  disease.

Knowing  about  us  Bangalore  Hobbyist's  interest  in  trying  to  breed  fishes,  also  knowing  that  we  were  using  contaminated  Tubifex  for  conditioning  the  fishes  causing  mortality's  Trevor  had  co-ordinated  with  Venkat  from  Chennai  to  source  it.  This  was  fantastic.  Venkat  had  arranged  with  a  LFS  in  chennai  to  have  it  shipped  to  Bangalore  at  only  the  transport  cost.  Wonderful  gesture  for  which  we  Bangalore  Hobbyist  can  never  thank  him  enough.

All  through  Jan,Feb  and  March-2007,  every  Sunday  I  used  to  go  and  collect  the  worms.  On  reaching  Trevor's  house  we  would  put  it  into  buckets,  wash  them  and  remove  any  dead  worms.  We  would  then  divide  it,  50%  to  Trevor,  25%  to  me  and  the  rest  25%  among  other  enthusiasts.

These  would  last  us  for  a  week.  We  would  keep  less  worms  in  large  quantity  of  water,  do  water  changes  regularly  and  most  importantly  Trevor  informed  us  to  remove  any  dead  worms  immediately.  These  dead  worms  would  poison  the  water  and  within  hours  all  the  worms  would  die.  Even  at  the  cost  of  losing  some  live  worms  we  followed  this  procedure  rigourously.

The  fishes  went  crazy.  The  breeding  activity  was  in  over-drive  and  we  were  running  out  of  aquariums  to  keep  the  Fry's.  Even  the  fishes  in  community  tanks  not  intended  for  breeding  were  showing  awesome  colors.

But  in  March  as  temperature  increased  we  started  receiving  increasing  quantities  of  dead  worms.  It  so  happened  that  by  April  we  received  two  consecutive  consignments  of  completely  dead  worms.  Disgusted  Trevor  asked  me  to  get  rid  of  them  and  without  thinking  I  simply  poured  the  packets  in  his  bathroom.

My  God!  the  stench.  Even  buckets  of  water  with  a  full  bottle  of  disinfectant  Phenyl  would  not  remove  it.  After  a  long  time  doing  all  in  our  power  to  remove  the  stench  I  told  Trevor  I  had  to  go.  Trevor  blew  up.  He  started  cursing  me  like  how  I  was  like  most  of  his  friends  who  always  left  him  in  a  lurch,  how  he  thought  I  was  different,  But  no  I  was  worse  than  others  since  I  always  put  him  in  trouble!  I  left  him  with  his  fond  farewell  ringing  in  my  ears,  Of  not  to  set  foot  in  his  house  ever  again.  

Really  the  stench,  I  could  not  smell  anything  else  for  a  whole  week.

Regards,
 Nayak.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 10:09 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Thanks  to  Venkat  for  the  yummy  bloodworms.  An  example  of  Bangalore-Chennai  aquarist  bhai  bhai.  Chuckle
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2008 11:35 pm Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

hmmm..never  too  late  to  join  the  party  i  guess....now  where  the  hell  was  i  all  these  days  missing  such  a  thread.....  Smile  ...are  you  boiling  worms  mr.trevor?(wo(a)rm  tea)  Very Happy
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:14 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

When  the  fish  go  crazy  and  breeding  activity  goes  in  overdrive  with  such  awesome  colors  it  is  quite  natural  that  the  humble  fish  keepers  also  try  out  the  above  manna  from  Chennai.  Chuckle   Chuckle   Chuckle
 Results  cannot  be  posted  in  a  public  forum.  Smile
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:48 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:00 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Quote:                
When  the  fish  go  crazy  and  breeding  activity  goes  in  overdrive  with  such  awesome  colors  it  is  quite  natural  that  the  humble  fish  keepers  also  try  out  the  above  manna  from  Chennai.  Chuckle   Chuckle   Chuckle
 Results  cannot  be  posted  in  a  public  forum.                  

i  guess  you  must  be  fully  made  of  a  funny  bones  ...  Very Happy  
 what  a  cup  of  wo(a)rm  tea   early  in  the  morning  can  do  as  exemplified  by  our  own  mr.trevor...  Thumb Up
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:46 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

Good  aeration  will  help  the  worms  to  last  longer.
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2008 11:50 am Post subject: Re: Memories...walking the hobby with the help of IAH Reply with quote

but  mr.trevor  i  have  seen  the  worms  kept  in  shallow  trays  with  absolutely  little  water  ....but  they  seem  to  be  doing  just  fine  ......  and  i  tried  to  do  the  same  at  home  except  all  perished  with  a  parting  gift  of  absolutely  foul  smell...can't  believe  you  guys  kept  it  for  a  week  ....?   Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 29, 30, 31  Next
Page 23 of 31

Jump to: