194. Guest
195. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips
View previous topic :: View next topic  

Where do you wanna go
Zenith Dam - Khopoli
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Malsej Ghat- Lake
18%
 18%  [ 2 ]
Vashi upstream
36%
 36%  [ 4 ]
Tunganeshwar
45%
 45%  [ 5 ]
Total Votes : 11

superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Heres  an  account  of  our  collection  trip.  Photos  uploaded  by  Ramdas.

Till  the  last  minute  there  was  no  decision  made,  even  though  plans  are  made  a  week  in  advance.
 I  think  this  is  due  to  the  fact  that  everyone  waits  for  another  member  to  respond.  
 Very  few  members  commit  by  saying  "I'm  in  ready  to  come.  This  is  my  cell  number  for  coordination"
 I  would  like  to  suggest  that  each  one  of  the  members  here  to  start  adding  contacts  in  your  phone.  
 By  building  your  database  its  possible  to  get  in  touch  with  any  one  any  time  immediately.

May  I  suggest  the  Whatsapp  group  to  please  post  your  discussions  on  IAH  especially  when  there  is  a  collection  trip  to  facilitate  coordination.  Anish  and  myself  had  to  get  in  a  last  minute  concalls  at  the  nth  hour  to  decide  where  to  go  and  get  arrangements  for  transport  too.

Finally  we  decided  that  we  would  go  to  Tunganeshwar  check  out  the  place  and  if  there  was  nothing  promising  come  back  to  Chenna  River.  Me,  Ryel  and  Ramdas  would  get  in  Sids  car  and  Anish  would  come  with  his  gang  in  another.

The  whole  situation  changed  when  Sid  let  us  know  at  1030pm  that  he  suddenly  had  an  urgent  family  committment  which  came  up  and  could  get  out  only  after  10am.
 With  no  transport  in  hand  the  trip  almost  got  cancelled.
 Neverthless  after  coordinating  at  10:40pm  me  Ryel  and  Ramdas  decided  to  go  to  Chenna  irrespective  of  whatever  happens  and  get  there  by  public  transport.

That  night  I  reached  home  at  1:30am  after  the  usual  weekend  party  at  Wellingdon  Gymkhana,  I  had  a  pleasant  surprise  and  met  Mathew  and  Noella  Owners  of  Nautilus  dancing  on  the  floor  at  the  Gym  too.  
 Packed  my  bag  with  all  the  equipment  and  slept  at  2am
 I  got  up  at  6am,  Groggy  and  zapped.  My  moves  slower  than  ever  brains  not  working  fast  enough.  Fed  my  fish  and  quickly  packed  some  ham/salami  sandwiches.  Got  out  at  7am  and  boarded  the  7:24am  train  to  Borivili.
 SMS'd  the  others  that  I'm  on  the  way.

As  my  train  passed  Goregaon  I  just  had  a  feeling  Ramdas  would  be  on  the  platform  and  I  rushed  to  the  door  and  saw  him  entering  the  platform.  With  a  moving  high  5  acknowledged  that  I'd  meet  him  soon.

We  all  met  at  Borivili  (E)  Bus  Stop  #700  precisely  at  8am  and  got  in  the  bus  reached  Chenna  at  930-10am.  From  now  on  we  dont  have  exact  track  of  time.

After  a  quick  sandwich  on  the  bridge  here  from  the  top  the  crossing  revealed  shallow  water  below  with  something  that  looked  like  Target  fish,  Barbs,  Panchax.  

One  side  was  too  dirty  to  explore.  The  Other  side  was  better.

Here  we  caught  lots  of  Oryzias  dancena  (Indian  Ricefish),  Striped  Panchax  Killifish  (Aka  Diamond  head  locally).  The  Barbs  were  too  fast.

Next  we  proceeded  to  a  place  where  we  usually  used  to  get  a  lot  of  the  Indian  Rainbow  shrimps  and  plants  like  Najas  Indica,  Hornwort.  We  named  this  shrimp  gully  but  this  place  has  bee  taken  over  with  some  construction  work  and  it  looks  like  its  no  more.

Moving  on  to  a  place  further  down  the  road  we  came  across  the  Indian  Rice  fish  and  Stripped  Panchax.  We  did  catch  some  gobis  but  did  not  opt  for  these  as  they  grow  very  large.

Next  we  continued  onward  and  passed  an  old  well  to  reach  a  place  where  Darius,  Sergio,  Ryel  and  myself  had  met  here  before  when  the  water  levels  were  much  higher  and  locals  were  fishing  too.

Here  we  could  now  cross  the  river  and  get  deeper  in  the  forest.  Just  as  we  were  checking  the  place  here  and  excited  to  see  many  big  barbs  swimming  below  the  clear  water  an  LFS  team  asked  us  what  we  were  searching  for.
 We  told  him  fish  and  shrimps.  The  guys  name  is  Ossie.  He  has  a  shop  at  Dahisar.  His  team  came  well  quipped  with  nets  too  and  gave  us  some  clues  where  to  even  get  shrimps  in  Borivili  too.

"Come  with  us"  he  said  and  we  followed  him.  20  minutes  away  and  after  crossing  one  more  stream  we  came  to  a  place  where  we  saw  the  Indian  Rasbora  Daniconius,  an  Indian  Orange  Chromide  Cichlid  Family  taking  care  of  its  brood,

The  LFS  team  took  a  dip  in  here  but  did  not  find  anything  interesting  but  left  after  letting  us  know  where  to  search  for  shrimps  and  if  we  wanted  to  proceed  10  minutes  deeper  in  the  forest  where  there  is  a  large  lake.  But  warned  us  to  be  careful  of  snakes.  Ryel  shivered  when  he  heard  this.

So  we  began  catching  shrimps  and  putting  them  in  a  tub  that  Ryel  carried  and  Ramdas  attempted  to  catch  fish.  Ramdas  got  lucky  and  got  one  baby  Indian  Orange  Chromide  Cichlid.
 I  must  say  that  they  should  have  named  the  Indian  Rainbow  Shrimp  a  Chameleon  Shrimp  because  of  its  ability  to  adapt  the  colour  of  its  surroundings.
 Catching  them  was  really  tough  be  we  managed  with  patience  and  back  breaking  positions  and  stunts.  And  they  will  get  in  every  small  nook  or  corner  to  hide  away  from  your  sight.  Today  I  can  feel  the  aches  and  all  my  muscles  are  tight  and  its  taking  me  a  real  effort  to  move.

We  were  even  discussing  that  we  should  be  creating  biotopes  for  shrimps  according  to  their  surroundings  with  only  rocks  and  sand  and  not  in  planted  tanks  as  we  do.
 So  we  thought  the  post  would  go  like  this
 "Here  a  picture  of  my  shrimp  tank  in  their  natural  surroundings  as  you  can  see  its  only  rocks  and  sands"
 "But  where  are  the  shrimps"
 "Cant  you  see  them"
 "They  are  all  under  the  rocks  this  is  how  they  live  in  their  natural  surroundings"
 "Wow"
 "Believe  me  they  are  there"

The  only  plants  we  found  here  were  floating  ones.  Lillies,  Pistia,  very  small  Frogbit,  Duckweed  and  very  little,  infact  miniscule  Fairy  Moss/Azolla  caroliniana.
 After  spending  a  couple  of  hours  here,  Ramdas  and  Ryel  went  15  minutes  away  further  and  came  back  after  half  an  hour  and  in  the  meanwhile  I  took  a  breather  and  had  a  sandwich.
 When  they  came  back  they  revealed  to  me  that  there  was  a  small  but  beautiful  pond.  We  had  a  sandwich  and  packed  up  and  moved  there.  Ramdas  left  his  bag  with  Rocks  that  he  collected  here  to  avoid  carrying  the  weight  around.

Here  at  the  pond  the  the  place  is  a  beautiful,  quiet  and  serene  inlet.  Surrounded  all  sides  with  hills.  A  perfect  Picnic  spot.  The  Pond  is  filled  with  flowering  lillies  in  the  centre.
 The  edges  of  the  pond  where  we  had  access  had  only  3-4  feet  bank  and  after  that  it  would  just  slope  with  a  drop.  Ramdas  threw  a  stone  to  check  the  depth.  This  made  us  caution  not  to  go  too  deep  on  the  edge  of  the  bank.

There  were  many  Indian  Rasbora  Daniconius  and  Tilapias  Babys  at  the  shores.  While  the  Tilapias  were  easy  to  get  the  Indian  Rasbora  Daniconius  were  too  fast.  Even  after  trying  to  lure  them  with  a  little  bread  they  would  attack  the  food  faster  than  you  could  swipe  the  net.
 Ryel  using  ninja  tactics  chopped  the  water  with  the  net  and  got  lucky  with  1  single  Indian  Rasbora  Daniconius  The  Yellow  tinge  on  their  fins  make  them  truly  beautiful.

Ramdas  left  a  bag  in  the  water  and  after  an  hour  it  was  filled  with  only  the  baby  Tilapias  and  no  other  fish.

Just  behind  the  Pond,  Here  the  fresh  water  was  sweeter  and  cool.  Tempted  us  to  take  a  dip  but  we  refrained.
 In  this  place  below  rocks  we  found  large  groups  of  a  shrimp  living  and  breeding.  We  caught  some  of  them  with  claws  too  which  we  think  is  the  Indian  Whisker  Shrimp.

Must  say  thanks  to  Ramdas  who  should  be  patenting  his  technique  on  catching  them.  His  first  catch  and  our  later  attempts  raked  in  20-30  multiple  sized  ones  in  a  single  shot.
 Once  you  see  a  picture  you  will  know  what  were  taking  about.  Ryel  couldn't  help  laughing  and  excited  everytime  we  do  that  Ramdas'  action  and  I  can't  stop  laughing  either.

At  3:30pm  I  think,  as  we  lost  track  of  time  we  finally  decided  to  stop  and  divide  the  goodies
 So  Ramdas  took  the  Indian  Rasbora,  Orange  Chromide  Cichlid,  Shrimps  and  Some  Rice  Fish
 I  took  all  the  Killifish  Panchax  (Aka  Diamond  Head),  Rice  Fish  and  Shrimps
 No  Guesses  what  Ryel  took.

We  then  took  a  breather  to  get  washed  up  and  had  some  nice  ghatia  chivda  that  Ramdas  got  and  after  3  final  sips  of  water  decide  to  get  home

We  left  at  around  4pm.  It  was  a  long  way  back  and  on  the  way  Ramdas  picked  up  the  bag  of  rocks  he  kept.  Here  we  asked  some  fishermen  to  show  us  what  nets  they  had  set  up  to  catch  fish  and  saw  that  they  had  gobies  and  small  tilapias.  This  being  their  sustenance  for  tonights  dinner.

Just  before  we  reached  the  bustop  we  jumped  in  a  hotel  for  a  nice  cold  refresher,  veg  pakodas,  masala  papad  and  chrispy  chicken  to  satisfy  our  hunger  and  thirsty  pangs.
 At  the  bustop  we  haggled  with  an  auto  to  reach  us  up  to  Borivili  Station  and  were  happy  with  the  rate  he  offered  as  we  just  wanted  to  sink  in  with  all  the  luggage.
 The  aches  and  pains  were  getting  severe  and  I  had  a  muscle  catch  just  waiting  to  activate  itself.

Reached  Borivili  and  we  all  got  into  a  6:04pm  Churchgate  local.  Ramdas  and  Ryel  got  off  at  Goregaon  and  me  at  Mahim

Whew  !!

That  was  a  really  good  experience.  Ryel  and  Ramdas  thanks  for  making  this.  This  trip  was  really  Awesome.

If  any  hobbyists  wants  the  Panchax  Killifish  it  can  be  picked  up  from  my  residence.  Reply  to  this  thread  indicating  that  you  want  it.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Aha!  Pio  well  put.  My  brains  are  not  working  since  it  is  busy  with  locating  the  areas  in  my  body  that  is  paining   ROFL  

Hey  you  forgot  to  mention  the   Guns  hunters  inside  the  forest  with  guns.
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Cheering   WOW  maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaan  its  a  pleasssure  to  have  you  guys  on  IAH.  excellent.  Next  time  as  soon  as  everything  at  home  gets  settled  I  will  go  with  you  guys  to  chenna  river.  I  will  also  try  to  get  a  tyre  tube  and  a  long  rope  so  we  can  boat  in  the  deep  waters.  Long  back  I  had  a  life  jacket  for  such  occasions,  Now  its  gone.  But  1  can  make  it  if  you  have  the  gere  like  parachute  jacket  X  2  and  put  thermocol  between  patches  to  make  a  life  jacket.  Lets  see,  what  we  can  do  next  time.  

should  I  expect  some  plants  this  MAM  in  december?   Pio  please  try  and  get  those  red  cabombas  for  me  and  some  lily  if  you  have  brought.

Aquaraimer  (Emmanuel)  please  do  try  and  come  this  mam  and  motivate  these  watapps  guys  to  remain  in  IAH  discussion  also.  

I  think  Sergio  was  also  involved  in  this  trip,  then  why  did  he  drop  out?  Sad  

great  going.  And  please  remember  the  head  count  this  MAM  for  nasta.
aquariumer
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Thumb Up  it  is  great  to  know  that  you  guys  mad  it  succesfull
 there  was  no  cordination  till  last  minute.
 Had  it  been   known  I  would  have  definitely  made  it  to  Chenna  as  I  stay  15  minutes  away  from  the  river.

I  was  planning  to  go  all  alone  to  chenna  for  quit  some  time  for  some  shrimps  for  my  new  nano  tank  but  some  how  couldnt  find  time  and  motivation   :(

Persy  I  will  be  at  the  next  MAM
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

aquariumer  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thumb Up  it  is  great  to  know  that  you  guys  mad  it  succesfull
 there  was  no  cordination  till  last  minute.
 Had  it  been   known  I  would  have  definitely  made  it  to  Chenna  as  I  stay  15  minutes  away  from  the  river.

I  was  planning  to  go  all  alone  to  chenna  for  quit  some  time  for  some  shrimps  for  my  new  nano  tank  but  some  how  couldnt  find  time  and  motivation   :(

Persy  I  will  be  at  the  next  MAM                

Thank  You  Sirjee  Bow
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Thank  you  Ramdas  &  Pio  for  the  company.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:21 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Any  time.  Ryel..

dont  worry  Emmanuel.  We  should  be  going  there  soon  We  have  to  catch  the  Big  Barbs,(about  4")  the  Rasboras  (3")  and  the  Orange  Chromides  (3").  In  a  months  time  I  feel  the  water  level  will  be  quite  down  for  us  to  take  them  for  our  tanks
Ryel
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:31 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

@Ram_a_rosi:  your  process  of  shrimping  needs  to  patented   Smile
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:39 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

@Ramdas  
 ....and  it  could  be  likely  that  the  LFS  guy  we  met  might  will  clean  up  the  place  sooner  just  because  they  have  all  the  time  in  hand  and  because  they  have  good  knowledge  of  the  area.
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:50 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Ryel  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Ram_a_rosi:  your  process  of  shrimping  needs  to  patented   Smile                

Yes  yes  the  'pick  &  swipe  technique'  -  minimum  25  shrimps  guaranteed  in  1  swipe.  ROFL
Ram_a_rosi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Even  peter  knew  about  the  lake  and  the  places  where  we  caught  shrimps.  He  says  there  are  places  further  too.

lets  make  it  soon  to  catch  the  Barbs,  rasboras  and  the  chromides.  They  are  just  too  awesome.  Meanwhile  the  20  odd  chromide  juveniles  will  have  grown  too
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 6:09 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

Yeah  Peter  called  and  told  me  the  same

Peter  we  missed  you  Sad   
 If  you  came  by  bike  you  would  have  been  able  to  come  half  the  way  by  easily  crossing  through  some  of  the  streams  too.

BTW  guys  if  you  notice  I  did  not  put  any  "Emotions"  characters  in  my  detail  post  above
 Every  time  I  click  on  one  it  goes  right  to  the  bottom
 So  am  I  doing  something  wrong  or  does  that  happen  by  default  ?
garothmaan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

superbsite  wrote  (View  Post):                
 BTW  guys  if  you  notice  I  did  not  put  any  "Emotions"  characters  in  my  detail  post  above

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL  Pio  I  dont  believe  it  are  you  serious?
superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:56 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

@  Ramdas
 Please  put  a  picture  of  the  Indian  Rasbora  and  the  Orange  Chromide

@Ryel
 Please  put  up  a  photo  of  the  shrimp  with  claws

Heres  a  picture  of  the  shrimps  in  my  bucket  
 Before  I  split  them  up  into  my  outdoor  containers  and  planted  tank  in  the  bucket  with  my  hand  I  killed  3-4  bugs  and  3  dragonfly  larvae  

superbsite
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: MAM Trip-24 Nov 2012- Post Diwali Reply with quote

garothmaan  wrote  (View  Post):                

superbsite  wrote  (View  Post):                

ROFL   ROFL   ROFL  Pio  I  dont  believe  it  are  you  serious?                

I  think  it  happens  if  you  add  emotions  at  the  end  after  typing  the  whole  thing
 So  lets  say  after  I  type  the  whole  thing  and  read  thru  and  identify  a  place  where  I  need  to  add  an  emotion  I  click  there  and  then  click  on  an  emotion  and  what  happens  ?  It  goes  right  at  the  bottom.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Collection and Habitat Study Trips All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: