64. Guest
65. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,891

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Aquariums & Budgets
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Aquariums & Budgets
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 8:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

trevor  wrote:                
In  short  its  a  budget  for  day  one.                

ROFL    Very Happy    Cheer    Thumbs Up    YUP,  you  speak  the  truth,  the  whole  truth  and  nothing  but  the  truth.  SO  HELP  YOU,  GOD    Clapping
cokeamod
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 11:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Are  all  of  you  married?  

ROFL
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 12:43 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  am,  don't  know  about  Trevor  and  can  never  tell,  he  says  he  is  not.

ROFL    ROFL
PC
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:39 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Let  me  try  my  bit  of  math  -  

Tank  (30*12*12)  -  500
 Tank  stand  -  2nd  hand  -  500
 Plant  (crypts  that  didnt  grow  so  well  &  are  in  the  pond)  -  60
 Plants  that  i  have  now  (Elodea)  -  Free
 Fish  food  -  50p.month
 Fish  -  Rs.50  so  far,  probably  another  1000(I  am  getting  fish  from  calcutta)

My  fish  for  the  ponds  -  350
 Plants  -  50  +  MANY  THANKS  to  Beta  and  Venket  for  giving  me  theirs
 Construction  of  the  ponds  -5K

Personally,  i  view  this  hobby  with  a  lot  of  reverence  since  we  are  owning  life  and  would  NEVER  consider  buying/taking  for  free  any  plant/fish  which  i  am  not  sure  that  i  can  care  for  well...  this  value  keeps  a  firm  lid  on  my  desire  to  buy  every  plant/fish  that  catches  my  fancy  :-)
Joy
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 10:11 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

My  budget  for  a  4"  x  1.5'  x  1.5'  fresh  water  planted  aquarium  is  as  stated  in  8  mm  glass

1.  Aquarium  with  wooden  hood    =  Rs.  3500.00
 2.  wooden  stand  sized  49"  [Lenght]  x  19"  width  x  24"  height  with  3  
       drawers  in  the  centre  and  2  cabinets  on  either  side  to  house  the  equipm
       ents.  Rs.  4200.00
 3.  Eheim  -2217  canister  filter  =  Rs.  6600.00
 4.  One  azoo  super  light  and  2  x  36  watts  azoo  CFL's  including  fittings  =  
         Rs.  2500.00
 5.  Basic  fertilizers[Azoo]  including  planting  material  Rs.=  Rs.  1050.00
 6.  Plants  as  per  your  choice  and  budget  =  Rs.  500.00
 7    Fishes  as  per  your  choice  and  budget  =  Rs.  Rs.  1000.00
 8.  Other  items  including  foods,  medicines,  water  testers  etc.  Rs.  2000.00
       Total  =  Rs.  21,350.00  [  +,  -  10%]
 I  hope  this  will  be  of  help
 Regards  Smile
toomanyfish
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:38 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

lets  put  it  this  way...
 How  many  of  you'll  have  set  a  budget  and  actually  stayed  within  it?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
mitra-hyderabad
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:57 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  have  done  a  lot  of  Cost  bugeting  and  Capital  budgeting  in  my  Financil  Management  paper    and  got  a  distinction  in  that  exam.

But......Im  sure  ill  fail  in  the  matter  of  applying    and  following  it  on  aquariums.  Chuckle
Atanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:02 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Smile  Good  at  least  I  am  more  fortunate  than  few  of  you  guys  out  there.  My  wife  loves  the  aquarium  and  had  budgeted  handsomely  when  I  gave  order  for  my  5ft  Very Happy  .    Only  condition  was  that  it  should  match  the  decor.  As  of  now  I  have  spent  around  60  K  in  total  including  everything  except  the  running  cost  of  electricity  bill.  As  now  now  she  is  fancying  Discus  (after  I  showed  the  pictures  of  Discus  competitions  ..thanks  to  all  you  photographers  out  there)  .  The  only  thing  holding  her  is  the  rigorous  water  change  routine  and  hardwater  from  our  borewell.
 I  am  more  into  plants  rather  than  the  fishes..  so  not  really  interested.  Rather  I  would  spent  that  money  in  buying  a  few  more  good  plants.  They  are  hell  lot  easy  to  keep  with  abundant  sunlight  in  the  balconies  and  tupperware,  rubbermaid  trays  are  more  or  less  cheaper  than  a  glass  tank    Very Happy  

Regards
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:15 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

well  Sandeep,
 It  is  really  difficult  to  analyse  a  perfect  budget  for  an  aquarium  -  it  all  depends  upon  the  life  you  want  to  support  and  the  hardware  you  can  afford  to  support  it.
 It  is  like  someone  might  consider  a  UGF  and  someone  might  not,
 someone  might  consider  all  sorts  of  fancy  toys  (considering  neubies)  and  someone  would  consider  them  to  be  absolutely  useless,  someone  would  like  the  look  of  a  fully  planted  tank  while  others  would  like  rocks,  wood  or  a  mixed  look.
 "It  is  not  the  life  but  the  quality  of  life  that  matters"  -  old  jungle  saying!
 and  quality  definately  comes  for  a  price.
 One  cannot  narrow  down  to  a  perfect  budget  or  a  complete  budget  as  everyday  you  will  come  across  something  which  is  an  absolute  'must  be'  gadget  and  will  haunt  your  dreams  till  you  buy  it  -  you  start  saving  for  the  gadget  and  when  you  at-last  save  some  money  to  go  ahead  and  buy  it  -  you  come  across  something  which  is  said  to  be  the  ultimate!  -  just  for  some  bucks  more  so  you  come  back  and  again  start  saving  the  extra  buck  for  the  best....................and  it  goes  on!
 How  can  you  jot  down  a  perfect  budget  for  an  exiciting  and  a  very  (I  might  say  the  most)  diversified  hobby  like  ours!
 Diversified  because  to  be  an  aquarist  -  you  need  to  be  a  plumber,  an  electrician,  a  biologist,  a  water  analyst,  a  botanist,  a  taxonomist  and  I  can  go  on  ................
 Moreover,  if  you  guys  are  scared  to  let  your  wives  know  about  your  FW  aquarium  expenditure  -  I  think  'Reefers'  should  never  get  married!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:42 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote:                
[This  post  as  of  now  has  been  seen  by  424  members,  there  are  40  replies  and  this  reply  is  the  one  I  have  been  looking  for.  Very Happy  
 Okay  who  is  going  to  give  estimate  for  a  non  planted  tank,  marine  tank                

The  very  fact  that  you  did  not(until  now)get  a  serious  post  is  because  there  is  a  wide  range  of  budgets  for  the  same  final  result.Very  difficult  to  say  what  budget  is  "proper"and  what  is  improper...  Very Happy  
 Maybe  you  should  have  asked  for  "  Minimum  "  budgets  for  various  types  of  tanks.(and  even  here  there  will  be  various  opinions.

.....all  said  and  done,here  is  my  budget  for  my  presently  new  marine  set-up:
 Tank:5x2x2  12  mm  glass  app  6000/-
 Stand:Metal  angle(heavy....dont  ask  me  the  guage)  3500/-
 Salt:3000/-
 Water:?  RO  water  from  the  kitchen  RO  unit(there  are  those  who  buy  demineralised  water)
 Light:two  4  ft  tubes,one  coral  blue,one  regular  trulite+reflector/fixture  2500/-
 Sump  tank:4x1.5x1.5  with  various  partitions/baffles  6mm  glass  1200/-
 overflow  set-up  500/-
 in-sump  protein  skimmer  3500/-
 hydrometer  250/-
 test  kit(pH,alkalinity,amm,ntrite,ntrate)2200/-
 live  rock  50kg  app  3000/-
 sump  to  display  eheim  hobby  pump  app  8000/-
 display  tank  circulation  pump  900  l/hr  boyu  powerhead  2/300....  cant  remember
 thermocol  sheets  below  display/sump  100/-
 ply  sheets  below  ditto  200(?)
 live  stock:
 purple  fridmani  750/-
 picasso  trigger    2200/-
 blue  damsels  2  nos        500(?)cant  remeber....they  are  really  old
 dominoe  damsel  350/-
 fire  clown  550/-

kaching$$$$"  Sir,your  bill  is  only  Rs  40,000/-"  rounded  off  to  the  nearest  1000.
rgg
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:19 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

My  serious  view  ona  planted  Aqu  would  be

Tank:4x2x2  12  mm  glass  app  4000/-  Though  DIY  would  cost  less.  A  variable  introduced  which  is  the  quality  of  glass  here.

Stand:Metal  angle(heavy....dont  ask  me  the  guage)  northing  more  than  2000/-  Again  a  variable  as  to  metal  or  a  wooden.

Light:two  4  ft  tubes  phil  day  light  would  be  better.  I  would  not  spend  in  more  than  1500/-  including  the  choke  and  other  fitments.  Another  variable  called  tube  type  here.  

test  kit  (Nesslers  re-agent)  should  get  it  within  500/-  in  chemical  stores.

Gravel  Should  be  able  to  find  them  in  a  construction  site,  But  one  should  be  care  ful  in  buying  a  shell  free  sand  for  a  planted  tank.  

i  managed  it  by  the  person  who  was  catagorising  the  sand  next  door  by  paying  him  50/-

Eheim  might  cost  us  dearly,  Hence  i  would  look  at  Atman  or  boyu.  And  would  reserve  less  than  4000/-  

Internal  pump  would  be  something  like  1000/-  Which  could  b  optional.

thermocol  sheets  below  display/sump  100/-  
 Thermostat  would  be  a  must  and  would  be  500/-  But  one  more  variable  on  the  quality.

live  stock:  
 This  would  be  a  Psudo  random  variable  that  ranges  from  even  a  small  tetra  to  an  exotic  rainbow.

All  in  all  one  should  certainly  reserve  15K  for  these.  Not  to  mentiona  +  /-  5K  on   the  above  mentioned  variables.

I  can  certainly  corrolate  this  with  just  like  buying  a  integrated  PC.  

-Raghu

Last edited by rgg on Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
hayath_dyno

PostPosted: Fri Jun 09, 2006 11:40 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

rgg  wrote:                

live  rock  Should  be  able  to  find  them  in  a  construction  site,  But  one  should  be  care  ful  in  buying  a  shell  free  sand  for  a  planted  tank.  

i  managed  it  by  the  person  who  was  catagorising  the  sand  next  door  by  paying  him  50/-

Live  rock  for  a  planted  tank    ROFL  

Copy-paste  of  Murthy's  thread  Wink,  old  habits  (programming)  die  hard    Chuckle
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 11:09 am Post subject: Re: Aquariums & Budgets Reply with quote

Humm...
 less  said  the  better...  Thumb Up  
 Budgets...?  Art  has  no  Value  !!
raghav_s2004
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 2:32 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

sunealm  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Everyone

Â   Â   Â   Â Talking  of  budgets.  Â I  don't  think  any  of  the  hobbyists  stick  to  any  kind  of  budget.  Its  like  you  take  your  Girl  friend  around  and  you  lose  track  on  what  you  are  spending  on  her  just  like  you  visit  the  LFS  and  buy  whatever  catches  your  fancy.  Its  like  spending  something  for  your  love  there  are  no  budgets.  Hope  everyone  agrees  Cheering  

Â   Â   Â   Â   Suneal  M                

very  true  ,  same  disease  for  me  till  date  .I  never  Calculate  for  the  Budget  ,  it  always  gives  me  a  Headache  .  
 Basic  Non  Planted  Tank  
 3  feet  Non  Planted  Tank  (600)
 Hood  (300)
 Gravels  (250)
 A  Aeration  Motor  (120)
 A  normal  Powerhead  Filter  (300)
 a  Undergravel  Filter  (50)
 Some  Plastic  Plants  (100)
 Fishes  cannot  be  Budgeted  

But  the  Only  thing  i  advise  for  starters  is  ,be  selective  in  fishes  and  be  in  a  clear  state  of  mind  as  to  what  kind  of  fishes  you  are  gonna  keep  ,  before  going  to  any  LFS.  Unless  you  want  to  end  up  like  me  killing  fishes  for  nearly  Rs  1000  and  even  given  away  some  fishes.

Last edited by raghav_s2004 on Tue Feb 27, 2007 4:36 pm; edited 1 time in total
rakshit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Feb 27, 2007 3:00 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Sibesh  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  always  keep  my  budget  strictly  confidential  !!!  and  even  if  I  have  tell  it  to  some  one  in  front  of  my  wife  I  make  it  at  least  50%  less  than  the  actual.  Very Happy  
 Sometime  they  wonder  how  I  am  getting  them  in  such  a  price     Sad  

Sibesh                

I  am  very  much  agreed  with  u  sibesh  i  also  less  my  aquarium  expenditure  50%  when  my  wife  is  there  or  she  is  listen  it  from  kitchen.   Chuckle
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 4 of 8

Jump to: