164. Guest
165. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,747

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Heiko Bleher's mail to Joyban
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Heiko Bleher's mail to Joyban

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Events
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:21 am Post subject: Heiko Bleher's mail to Joyban Reply with quote

Quote:                
Dear  Sujoy,  

You  have  a  great  website  -  only  I  cannot  access  the  expeditions  (or  most  other  places  you  have).  I  gave  in  a  password,  but  how  can  one  remember  all  these  numbers?  

Anyhow,  it  is  very  nice  to  hear  from  you  and  I  liked  the  Channa-Expedition,  although  they  collected  only  one  C.  punctata  and  very  few  other  fishes.  (You  know  I  discovered  Chann  bleheri,  the  smallest  of  all  snakehead  species).  

With  regards  to  your  aim,  I  think  it  is  great  and  I  really  never  thought  that  there  is  so  much  interest  ion  the  hobby  in  India.  That  is  really  fantastic.  

I  have  only  done  4  field  trips  to  India,  to  Rajasthan,  Bihar,  Darjeeling  and  Assam.  Some  collecting  in  the  Bengal  area  and  I  collected  P.  denisonii  but  was  not  able,  at  the  time  (more  than  20  years  ago)  to  bring  them  back  a  life.  

The  more  I  was  happy  some  years  back,  that  finally  you  people  were  able  to  export  that  beautiful  fish.  Then  I  made  with  life  specimens  -  in  a  large  group  of  80  fishes  -  a  special  biotope  display  at  the  Duisburg  Fish  &  Aquarium  Exhibition,  which  is  the  largest  in  the  world.  

More  than  55,000  visitors  came  to  my  display  (you  can  probably  see  it  still  at  www.hagen.com  and  go  to  Aquatics,  there  must  be  Exhibitions  with  Heiko  Bleher  and  /or  Heiko  Bleher's  Natual  Biotopes).  

From  then  on,  2002,  it  took  off  and  since  than  it  has  been  the  cover  of  many  magazines.  The  fish  (denisonii)  reminded  the  day  I  saw  it  in  nature,  of  a  similar  red-headed-fish  I  found  in  the  Rio  negro  affluent  (Jufaris)  in  1965  and  which  was  named  after  me,  Hemigrammus  bleheri,  one  of  the  most  sold  Aquarium  fishes  since  (naturally  after  cardinals,  neons  and  guppies).  

H.  bleheri,  lives  like  P.  denisonii,  in  larger  groups  and  that  is  how  they  should  be  kept.  People  were  standing  in  line  to  see  this  tank  (one  of  9  authentic  biotopes  -  as  in  nature  -  which  I  do  once  a  year  at  this  exhibition  -  see  also  under  http://www.hagen.comagain  in  Aquatics  "Nutrafin  Aquatic  News",  the  magazine  I  do  for  Hagen).  

I  am  really  in  need  of  more  time  and  more  people.  So  far  I  am  short  of  229  field  trips  to  complete  1000;  I  am  short  of  31  countries  to  research  for  freshwater  fishes  (161  already  done,  and  many  of  them  several  times);  up  to  16  field  trip  a  year  -  specially  lately  ,  writing  100s  of  articles  (-  just  send  another  12  to  TFH),  for  which  most  of  them  I  am  getting  paid,  as  no  one  finances  my  trips.  

I  am  late  with  Petsforum,  they  want  my  expeditions  ad  photos,  late  with  http://www.Aquarium-Dietzenbach.de,  they  want  them,  very  late  with  http://www.aquageo.comand  my  own  website  http://www.aquapress-bleher.it.  

So  what  can  i  say?  

I  can  try,  but  not  promise.  Tomorrow  I  leave  for  a  field  trip  in  Tajikistan  and  Kyrgkyztan.  I  shall  be  back  in  the  second  part  of  August  and  will  see  what  I  can  do.  But  I  also  must  finish  a  very  large  monograph  of  the  genus  Symphysodon  (Bleher's  Discus),  which  we  are  translating  in  8  languages  simultaneously.  

I  absolutely  want  to  go  back  to  Kerala  and  collect  again,  do  more  water  research  there  and  also  collect  one  of  the  most  unusual  fishes  on  our  planet:  Horaichthys,  which  I  never  see  again...  We  can  combine  something,  maybe  for  next  year.  But  we  must  coordinate  it  begin  of  2006.  

I  will  than  give  you  hints  of  Irian  Jaya  (which  some  call  West  Papua  and  I  hate  it,  because  there  is  already  one  Papua,  same  stupidity  as  there  are  now  to  Congo  countries...),  the  Islands  and  Papua  (new  Guinea),  as  well  as  Australia.  

I  found  on  my  32  field  trip  this  year  new  blue  eyes,  at  least  one  new  Melanoatenia  species,  collected  for  the  first  time  a  life  Ps.  ivantsoffi,  Ps.  pellucidus  and  a  new  Ps.  species  similar  to  Ps.  nuovaguinea.  Also  I  have  the  (real)  Ps.  gertrudae  (which  has  its  type  locality  on  the  Aru  islands,  were  I  was  last  year  collecting).  

M.  corona  no  person  has  ever  seen  alive.  Jerry  (G.R.  Allen  -  right  now  climbing  the  Rockys)  and  me  tried  to  find  it  (me  3  times),  in  vain.  At  the  type  locality  mentioned  in  the  books  it  cannot  be  found  (recently  even  an  American,  Gary,  was  there  and  naturally  could  also  not  find  it).  

Melanotaenia  parva  we  have  breeding  in  Europe,  all  from  the  few  I  collected.  (There  was  an  article  in  TFH  recently  on  it,  did  you  see  it?  Also  I  wrote  about  the  trip  in  aqua  geographia,  issue  22:  "Yakati",  see  under  http://www.aquapress-bleher.it).  

M.  ayamaruensis  is  an  none-existing  species.  Jerry  made  an  error  and  described  a  female  specimen  of  M.  boesemani  as  this  species.  The  specimen  were  collected  by  helpers  of  Boeseman  in  1954  together  with  M.  boesemani  in  the  same  (Ayamaru)  lake,  and  I  went  back  two  times:  There  is  no  other  Melanotaneia  species  in  the  lake.  Also  I  proved  by  comparing  the  specimens  deposited  at  the  Leiden  Museum  (unpublished  note).  It  is  M.  boesemani.  But  my  good  friend  Jerry  still  does  not  want  to  believe  it...  

M.  iris  I  brought  back  many  years  ago,  I  think  in  Germany  the  IRG  people  still  have  some.  Must  check.  G.  cf  pseudoincisus  (  a  spectacular  fish,  and  small),  we  are  breeding  well.  "cf"  because  I  found  it  in  an  isolated  crater  lake,  without  inflow,  or  outlow.  No  connection  to  Tami-River  at  all  (were  Boeseman  collected,  also  1954/55  the  specimen  of  G.  pseudoincisus).  In  the  Museum  the  dead  specimen  look  very  much  the  same.  But  until  I  find  the  one  at  its  type  locality  (Tami  River),  I  will  not  be  convinced,  that  the  fish  from  the  crater  lake  is  G.  pseudoincisus.  I  shall  try  again  end  of  this  year.  
 The  real  Ps.  reticulatus  we  have  also  been  breeding  well,  since  I  brought  them  back  (in  2000).  Ps.  majusculus,  I  am  not  sure  if  they  are  still  around.  Must  check.  

I  must  leave  you  now,  as  I  must  back  for  tomorrow.  I  have  along  flight  in  front  of  me.  Milan-Moscow-Bishkek-Osh  and  than  with  my  special  Heikomobile  to  Tajikistan.  Along  the  Pamir  road  collecting  hopefully  fishes  above  4,000  m  (last  year  I  found  loaches  at  3,300  m).  You  know  I  have  this  craziness  to  want  to  illustrate  most  of  the  world's  freshwater  fishes  and  so  far  I  accumulated  over  24,000  fresh  and  brackish  water  forms  (maybe  most  of  them  good  species  -  although  less  than  10,000  are  described  so  far).  

It  is  now  over  17  years  I  am  working  on  this  monster  book  and  I  still  hope  to  finish  it  one  day...we  are  all  the  time  updating,  and  much  better  and  more  than  http://www.fishbase.org.  (I  wanted  to  give  them  my  work,  as  their  fresh  and  brackish  water  fishes  are  terrible,  full  of  errors  galore,  I  find  errors  with  most  photos  and  lots  of  texts.  The  marine  side  is  quite  good.  But  they  want  all  my  work  for  free...and  I  do  not  own  a  Bank...).  

As  I  said,  for  natural  aquarium  decoration  -  as  in  nature  (not  as  in  Amano,  my  fried  I  highly  respect,  but  his  artistic  work  has  little  to  do  with  how  fishes  live  in  nature)  -  look  up  Nutrafin  Aquatic  News  (nbr  1-4)  _  or  in  the  Internet  http://www.hagen.comand  do  Aquatics.  Later  I  can  tell  you  more.  People  can  also  come  to  my  natural  biotope  display  in  Duisburg,  Germany,  from  September  29th  to  October  2nd,  2005.  I  will  display  my  biotope  stand  again  and  hold  4  lectures  -  each  day  one.  

You  may  use  my  above  text  for  your  website,  just  take  out  the  English  spelling  errors,  I  have  not  time  to  correct  it.  I  am  sure  you  understand.  

All  the  very  best  
 always  
 Heiko                

Last edited by Madan on Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:42 am; edited 4 times in total
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:35 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

WHOA!!

I'm  spell  bound...

Thanks  for  sharing  it  Sujoy,  and  to  Madan...

Very Happy    Very Happy    Clapping    Clapping
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sunealm
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 11:35 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Madan,
       It  was  good  to  read  the  mail  from  Heiko  Bleher    to  Joyban.  It  was  really  wonderful.  Maybe  someday  we  from  IAH  could  co-ordinate  and  have  a  field  trip  in  India  together.  Maybe!!!
           Suneal  M
Vijayblr
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 12:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  this  letter.

The  immense  knowledge  of  Mr.Heiko  Bleher  has  made  us  look  more  dwarf  than  ever.

Thanks  again.
vinven
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 1:45 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Wow.Wonderful!!!Nice  going  guys  Cheer  IAH  and  indian  aquarists  are  getting  recognised  far  and  wide  Cheering  

cheers
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
gplp60
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:04 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Mr.  Sujoy,  

It  is  nice  of  you  for  forwarding  the  letter  of  Heiko  Bleher  for  the  benefit  of  all  of  us.  It  is  really  a  encouraging  source  for  our  youngster  of  ASK  members  as  well  as  IAH.  Smile    

Really,  how  the  western  country  hobbyists  are  so  mindful  and  dedicated  towards  the  expedition  in  search  of  tropical  fish  of  new  veriety  Chuckle  But  our  youngsters  are  not  lagging  behind.  ASK  and    IAH  also  undertook  the  same  kind  of  trips  with  their  enthusiastic  members.  Clapping  Thanks  to  Madanji  for  the  thought  and  lead.  Sad  Sorry  I  could  not  make  it.

I  wish  them  every  success  in  their  future  endevours.  Thumbs Up  Beginning  is  made.  Fruits  are  ahead.
 Thanks  once  again  to  you  and  Madan  for  bringing  the  contents  to  the  knowledge  of  all  of  us.  Clapping  

Thanks  once  again,

Prabhu  G  P  L
joyban

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 2:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madan  

Thank  You  for  posting  the  mail  on  the  forum.  Thank  You  for  all  your  help.

Regards

Sujoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 6:56 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Think,  we  could  post  this  as  an  article  under  natives  section.    Since  Bleher's  asked  to  post  it  in  the  site,  it  won't  be  an  issue  to  put  it  as  an  article.
scsriram
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:05 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi,

Great  Stuff,  Joyban......Thanks  for  the  post

Sriram
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 7:33 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote:                
Think,  we  could  post  this  as  an  article  under  natives  section.    Since  Bleher's  asked  to  post  it  in  the  site,  it  won't  be  an  issue  to  put  it  as  an  article.                

Madhu,
 Bleher  had  a  nice  article  on  Blue  Face  Heckels  couple  of  years  back  on  TFH.  Quite  an  interesting  article  with  some  nice  pics  of  the  blue  faces.
Lancelot
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 01, 2005 8:53 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

an  honor  to  read  a  letter  sent  by  someone  so  huge  in  the  aquariums  line....  wow....  this  is  the  guy  they  named  the  rummy  nose  tetra  after...  wow....
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
...  We  can  combine  something,  maybe  for  next  year.  But  we  must  coordinate  it  begin  of  2006.                

Sujoy,  any  updates  on  this?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 28, 2006 9:56 pm Post subject: Heiko's New Discus Book & Rainbofish Updates Reply with quote

Well  here  is  the  update,  just  received  this  email  from  Heiko,  with  some  inputs  on  Rainbowfishes  and  his  Discus  book.

Bheler's  Discus  --  Link  -->  http://www.finarama.com/bleherdiscus.pdf

Project  PIABA  --->  Center  of  Ornamental  Fish  Studies  &  Conservation  From  the  Rio  Negro  to  the  world  Barcelos,  Amazonas  Brazil

Read  More  at  :->  http://www.finarama.com/projectpiaba/

Quote:                

Dear  Sujoy,

thanks  for  your  e-mail.  I  want  to  answer  right  aways,  because  I  am  in  the  mids  of  reading  correction  for  my  volume  I  of  BLEHER'S  DISCUS  (which  you  should  actually  make  popular  on  your  beautiful  home  page  too,  such  as  www.finarama.com  did  it  -  see  there)  (  http://www.finarama.com/home.htm  )  .  A  monograph  with  around  5000  photos  and  drwaings,  more  Amazon  and  discus  information  than  ever  in  history,  etc.  etc.  Volume  I  has  676  pages  und  goes  to  be  printed  next  week  (out  for  Interzoo  2006),  and  Volume  II  -  same  size  -  should  be  out  by  end  of  the  year.

After  Interzoo  Im  am  scheduled  to  go  to  New  Guinea  again.  I  have  found  last  year  different  new  (undescribed)  rainbowfishes  and  collected  some  blue  eyes.  One  on  Aru  Island  (but  lost  all  of  them,  unfortunately),  Ps.  ivantsoffi,  which  we  are  breeding  now,  Ps.  cf.  novaguineae  (breeding  as  well  -  a  real  beauty)  and  a  beautyful  M.  goeldei  var.  (or  new  species),  a  fantastic  Chilaterina  cf  fasciata,  with  greenish  and  one  with  orange  coloration.

I  collected  the  new  Kiunga  bleheri,  butr  we  breed  them  once,  and  than  all  lost...  same  happened  with  Ps.  majusculus  last  year.  But  Ps.  pellucidus  is  doing  well  (collected  with  Ps.  ivantsoffi).

You  know  M.  corona  still  not  to  be  found.  (I  hope  for  the  5th  time  to  search  after  it  this  year);  M.  ajamaruensis  is  not  existing  species  !  It  is  a  synonym  of  M.  boesemani  (just  that  Jerry  does  not  want  to  believe  it,  although  both  of  us  went  several  times  there  and  there  is  no  other  species...).

The  other  mentioned  species  are  well  doing  and  breed  in  Germany,  in  many  places  now.  And  vailable,  also  the  ones  I  mentioned  above.  In  addition:
 I  did  8000  km  of  Australian  Outback  last  year  as  well  and  brought  back  two  varieties  of  Melanotaenia  splendida  tatei  -  never  been  on  the  market/hobby  before.  We  are  breeding  both  now.  Nice  fish.

You  know  that  I  also  found  a  new  rainbowfish  in  Misool  Island,  which  we  are  breeding  now,  next  to  the  known  M.  misoolensis.

In  aquageo,  in  aqua,  in  several  European  magaziones  and  once  in  a  while  in  TFH  comes  articles  of  mine.  Let  me  know  more  specific  information  you  need.

All  the  best
 always
 Heiko

You  could  reach  Heiko  at  his  website  :-  
 http://www.aquageo.com/Index.html
 email  :-  heiko  [at]  pmp  [dot]  it
 Expidition  Calendar  :  -  http://www.aquageo.com/Calendar.html

Regards

Sujoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
potteypot
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2009 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: Heiko Bleher's mail to Joyban Reply with quote

Amazing....dont  have  any  words  to  express  the  sense  of  feeling.  Thanks  sujoy  and  madan  for  showing  us  the  mail  from  heiko..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Events All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: