178. Guest
179. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,745

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Made my second canister, check page 4
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Made my second canister, check page 4
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Canister Rebuilt, pics on Page 3 Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

"And  the  most  expensive  part  
 12xPP  bolts  n  nuts(kept  6  in  spare)   -  Rs240(20each  set)  "

Is  this  a  plastic  nut  and  bolt?  Why  this  cost?
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:36 pm Post subject: Re: Canister Rebuilt, pics on Page 3 Reply with quote

@Nata...yep  exactly,  the  acrylic  sheet  is  the  lid  now.

Acrylic  was  stuck  to  PVC  unsing  Araldite,  you  got  it  right,  it  was  having  a  few  bubbles(air  gaps)  that  might  have  caused  leakage.  so  what  I  did  is  I  weighted  it  down  using  30+kg  dumbbell  weights.  As  a  result  no  air  gaps  at  all.

@Shelly....Yes  20Rs  each.
 The  reasons,  only  one  shop  selling  those(in  whole  of  Hyderabad/Secunderabad),  so  had  no  other  options  than  paying  him  extra  money.

Some  Lathe  machine  workshops  custom  make  it  on  order,  on  an  estimate  it  costs  <10Rs  each,  but  again  only  big  orders,  atleast  100  nuts  at  a  time.

These  are  polypropylene  bolts  not  exactly  a  plastic.  It  stronger  in  various  conditions  and  lasts  much  longer  than  regular  plastic.  Nylon  bolts  were  half  this  price,  but  looked  kind  of  flimsy,  so  took  these  instead.
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 12:52 pm Post subject: Re: Canister Rebuilt, pics on Page 3 Reply with quote

Hamza  gr8  work.   Bow  
 Thanks  for  the  update.  Was  planing  to  buy  one  Canister  filter  for  my  FH  tank,  but  now  will  make  a  canister  for  my  self.  Thanks  again.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2010 1:07 pm Post subject: Re: Canister Rebuilt, pics on Page 3 Reply with quote

Nice  Design.  I  will  also  try  my  hands  on  this.
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 5:52 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister Reply with quote

With  one  canister  running  perfectly,  I  rolled  out  my  second  one,  larger  than  the  first.

5"  PVC  pipe  about  20"  tall  with  respective  null  cap  and  a  round  socket  formed  the  canister  body.  6mm  acrylic  sheet  was  used  to  make  the  lid  in  the  same  manner  as  the  previous  one.  The  inlet  and  the  outlet,  the  UB  valves,  the  pipe  and  all  barbs  are  3/4".  This  uses  8-bolts  instead  of  6  as  the  diameter  is  thicker.  The  canister  uses  a  1200  LPH  el-cheapo  pump,  that  can  easily  push  the  water  through  3/4"  pipe  easily  upto  6'  from  ground  without  loss  of  much  flow.  Again,  I  have  a  provision  for  replacement  of  most  parts  if  needed,  making  it  indispensable  for  a  good  long  time.

Altogether  it  took  me  2  days  on  and  off  on  this  project,  thats  considerably  much  much  better  time  than  the  previous  one.  Very Happy  

Yet  I  have  to  get  the  PP/nylon  bolts  for  this  one,  they  were  out  of  stock  at  the  moment.

Its  now  being  tested  for  leakages  for  a  week  or  so.

So  the  pictures  now...

Size  comparison

Cheers!

Hamza
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 6:39 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

Hamza  u  outta  start  selling  these  dude!
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

rockin.......  Rock On  .....
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 8:35 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

Really  cool  stuff  man!  Is  it  easy  opening  and  closing  them  for  maintainance?
josyjames
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 9:29 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

Hi  Hamza,

Good  work...

What  are  the  mediums  that  you  are  planning  to  use  in  the  canister?  And  how  do  you  separate  them  each  other?

Can  you  give  a  close  up  shot  of  the  joining  of  the  acrylic  sheet  and  the  pvc  joint?
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 7:51 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

@Viresh...hehe,  I  got  a  few  offers  in  past  from  first  design  itself,  I  am  not  keen  to  do  that  at  all...but  making  these  for  business  is  very  very  hardwork,  if  I  have  to  make  money  this  way,  its  far  more  easier  to  retail  Chinese  filters(and  other  stuff),  these  are  sold  with  really  huge  margins,  believe  me,  its  more  profitable  to  sell  chinese  stuff  than  big  brands(like  eheim  and  fluval).  I  kind  of  hate  chinese  filters(resun,  sunsun,  etc),  quality  wise(cheap  plastics,  easily  breakable,  no  spares,  etc),  so  unless  I  can  buy  an  eheim  myself(without  making  a  big  hole  in  my  pocket),  I'll  keep  on  doing  this,  but  definitely  not  commercially,  though...Razz  
 I  can  make  3  of  these  for  the  price  of  one  eheim.

@Suhail...Thanks!

@Alistair...Thanks!  Its  a  simple  mechanism...
 To  open  it,  first  I  need  to  switch  off  the  power  supply,  shut  the  valves,  one  end  of  pipe  then  can  be  easily  disconnected  without  much  effort.  Then  the  media  can  be  accessed  opening  the  lid  by  unscrewing  the  bolts.  These  PP  bolts  are  quite  soft  and  smooth(unlike  metallic  bolts)  and  can  be  screwed  with  thumbs(with  a  little  effort),  doesnt  require  spanners  at  all.
 Closing  is  reverse  of  opening  process.  It  hardly  takes  10mins  to  open  it,  clean  and  replace  it  back.  Cant  anyone  afford  that  time  once  in  a  month?

P.S.  Polypropylene(PP  bolts)  is  quite  tough  and  lasts  longer  than  average  plastics.

@Shelly...thanks!

Media  as  mentioned  earlier  is  pretty  simple

Hamza  wrote  (View  Post):                

It  uses  pot  scrubs>coarse  thick  sponge>fine  filter  wool  from  bottom  to  top  as  filtration  media  and  does  an  effective  job.

Scrubs  are  very  good  bio  media,  just  like  bioballs  and  have  a  huge  surface  altogether  to  hold  beneficial  bacteria.
 So  scrubs  form  bio  medium.
 These  are  wrapped  in  plastic  fruit  mesh  to  keep  them  together  as  a  layer.

And  over  it  is  a  coarse  thick  cylindrical  block  of  sponge  that  fits  tightly  without  a  little  gap  for  dirt  to  bypass.  This  does  mechanical  filtration  for  larger  particles.  

After  this  there  is  fine  black  filter  wool,  bought  from  LFS.  This  is  again  cut  round  and  fits  firmly  inside  the  can.  This  layer  traps  in  the  tiny  particles  that  escape  the  prior  layer.

Over  all  these,  there  is  a  stiff  mesh  to  hold  everything  in  place.

This  is  pretty  much  of  it,  there  is  possibility  for  accommodating  carbon(chemical  media)  if  needed.  I  dont  think  there  is  a  special  need  for  separators  or  different  compartments,  after  all  they  contribute  to  a  lot  of  water  bypass.

As  requested,  here  are  the  pictures  of  the  acrylic-PVC  joint

The  have  been  bonded  together  with  araldite(resin  and  hardner  solution).  Here  you  can  see  a  layer  of  hardened  araldite  through  clear  acrylic.

Please  Note  :  My  intensions  are  to  inspire  and  encourage  people  to  DIY  and  to  show  that  external  canister  filter  is  possible  and  its  not  an  advertisement  of  any  sort.
arjundogra
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 8:52 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

great  stuff.  Love  the  finish..good  job

arjun

www.arjundogra.com
natbox
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 9:17 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

i  still  cant  get  to  grasps  with  the  fabrication  part.  making  holes  in  the  pipe/dummies  for  inlet  ,  cutting  the  acrylic.  Never  had  worked  with  these  materials  before  Sad  at  least  not  to  such  a  great  extent

between,  what's  the  tank  size/volume  for  which  this  filter  works  fine  ?
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

awesome  stuff  Hamza.....inspiration  to  say  the  least!  Way  to  go!!!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 7:50 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

For  someone  who  might  be  wondering  on  performance  of  the  canister  filter,  its  working  flawlessly  for  almost  2  months  24x7  now.  No  clogging/leakages  at  all,  and  I'll  be  cleaning  it  for  first  time  this  weekend.
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 8:06 pm Post subject: Re: Made my second canister, check page 4 Reply with quote

love  how  you  get  that  neat  finish  Hamza.  awesome  work!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: