113. Guest
114. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,463

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fliteration set up help in Reef tank
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fliteration set up help in Reef tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Marine Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nerusan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:41 pm Post subject: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Hi  Experts  

Need  help  to  set  up  a  reef  tank  system  Size  :  44  (L)x  20  (W)  x  22  (H)in.

Volume  of  tank  :  346  liters   (  live  rock  to  go  in  20  k  sand  30  k)  pls  correct  if  wrong   (  so  i  belive  total  volume  with  the  rock  &  sand  will  go  down  to  296  liters)  

I  wish  to  set  up  a   sump  for  the  above  tank  ,would  like  to  know  in  what  flow  sould     the  system  should  work  :

Tank  -  -  canister  filter  (  400  l/h)   ---  sump(18  x12x  12)   ---  skimmer(380l/h)-  --  tank  

if  you  can  help  with  a  drawing   ,  also  overflow  system  

rgds
 nerusan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Canister  Filter  should  be  atleast  2000  L/H  &  Protien  Skimmer  should  be  atleast  1200  L/H....  Thumb Up   Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nerusan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2007 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Hi
 Weipro  canister  -  760  l/h  ,  treats  400  l  max  tank  (as  mentioned  in  the  mannual)
 Weipro  Skimmer  treats  380  l  ,  pump  capacity  1200  l/h  

i  hope  this  suffice,  i  would  also  like  to  know  my  main  question  is  which  will  come  first  filter  -  skimmer-  sump   ,  how  the  flow  should  be  
 rgds
 nerusan
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:20 am Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Disclaimer  :   ROFL   ROFL   ROFL  
 Your  sump  design  is  not  dependent  on  what  anything  anyone  says  around  here.  What  anyone  says  is  generally  a  rough  guideline  and  you  should  try  and  experiment  for  yourself.

You  could  actually  do  away  with  a  canister  if  you  are  using  a  sump,by  incorporating  the  filtration  in  the  sump.

In  this  case  it'll  be  
 Tank  -->(prefilter)  -->  Skimmer  -->  Filter  -->  (Refugium)  -->  Tank

You  can  have  a  look  at  some  really  good  sump  designs  at  
 http://www.melevsreef.com/allmysumps.html
 There  are  some  links  at  the  bottom  of  that  page  which  give  you  more  detail  on  sump  design  at  RC.

If  you  already  have  the  canister,  I  would  suggest  you  use  it   outside  the  sump  loop  as  an  additional  filter  rather  than  in  the  same  loop.

Another  link  from  Melev  for  the  overflow.
 http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/overflow.html
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Niranjan,
 what  is  the  system  of  reef  keeping  that  you  want  to  follow?  (i.e.  Natural/Berlin  system,  Plenum  system  etc.)
 I  would  abide  by  Pradeep's  disclaimer  -  you  cannot  copy  someone  blindly  but,  try  to  work  out  a  tank  that  best  suits  your  pocket's  size,  taste  and  requirements  If  you  still  stress  the  point  of  the  order  of  hardware  laid  down  I  would  go  with  the  following:
 Tank  ---->  overflow  chamber   ---->  durso  ---->  skimmer  ---->  prefilter  ---->  baffels  ---->  fuge  ---->  sump  (infact  I  would  fuse  both  of  them  together)  ---->  baffels  ---->  prefilter  ---->  return  chamber  ---->  enductors.  (this  sounds  almost  like  a  public  transport  system   ROFL  )
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
piscean
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 10:51 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

A  few  more  links  about  the  design  of  sumps.  Found  it  very  informative

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-01/gt/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rn/feature/index.php

http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2003-07/gt/index.php
Pets0Mania
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:31 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Smile
nerusan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:40 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Oops  Sorry  for  the   goof  up  on  top  

Thanks  Guys  &   Aquacsapes   Bow  

I  was  on  this  web  site  Pradeep  recommended  ,  I  like  this  set  up  and  zeroed  on  it  ,  experts  pls  advise  (  here  i  will  only  start  up  with  sump  and  make  a  provision  for  Refuge  ,  and  later  at  advance  stage  i  will  start  on  the  refuge  after  gaining  exp.

http://www.melevsreef.com/acrylics/sumps/m/sump_model_m.html

I  wish  to  go  for  Natural  or  Berlin  system  

I  already  have  one  canister  filter  so  I  want  to  use  it  ,  (just  wanted  to  know  where  i  acn  incorporate  it  in  the  loop  or  use  as  a  stand  alone  as  pradeep  suggested  )  Sump  so  that  i  can  have  extra  water  volume  ,  and  later  a  refuge.   

Thanks  for  the   help  

Rgds
 nerusan
murthy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 3:51 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Hello,Nerusan!If  you  MUST  use  the  canister,better  it  be  a  stand  alone,applied  to  the  display  tank.Fill  the  canister  with  filter  floss  only(avoid  any  other  substrate,to  prevent  nitrifying  bacteria  from  growing  in  it).Use  the  canister  spray  bar  to  provide  good  water  circulation,and  clean  thw  canister  frequently  and  diligently(so  it  remains  a  mechanical  filter  only).You  may  also  wish  to  incorporate  active  carbon  in  the  canister.....but  there  are  varying  schools  of  thought  on  how  useful  carbon  is.
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 6:23 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

well  said  Murthy!
 Niranjan,
 it  does  not  make  sense:  

Quote:                
already  have  one  canister  filter  so  I  want  to  use  it                  

I  have  atleast  ten  bag  fulls  of  bio-balls,  five  canister  filters  and  a  lot  of  other  stuff  but  still  dont  use  it!
 Yes,  using  any  fancy  gadgetry  along  with  the  natural  system  will  only  work  against  the  system's  principles  and  will  not  be  very  beneficial.  Infact,  sometimes  harmful.
 The  Natural  system  is  well  known  for  it's  simplicity  -  the  prime  bio-filter  is  the  LR  and  nothing  else.  Apart  from  the  LR  you  only  need  a  couple  of  power  heads  to  maintain  the  water  circulation  and  a  good  skimmer  -  that's  it!  Now,  since  you  are  plumbing  in  a  sump  assembly  you  should  understand  that  any  prefilter  should  be  maintained  regularly  to  keep  it  strictly  a  mechanical  filter  and  no  nitrifying  bacteria  start  colonising  on  the  filter  mats.
 I  maintain  two  reefs  (my  own)  by  this  system  and  they  are  BB  if  it  is  so  very  important  to  have  substrate  dont  have  anything  more  than  1"  and  place  the  base  rocks  such  that  they  are  positioned  on  points  and  dont  clog  up  the  substrate  with  detritus  trapped  under  the  rocks.
nerusan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2007 5:54 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

HI
 Thanks  for  the  info,  so  Canister  is  out,  can  you  let  me  know  what  should  go  in  the  sump  then,  I  will  using  external  skimmer  to  save  space  in  the  sump.
 What  about  chemical  filtration  and  mechanical  filtration   stuff  should  i  put  in  the  sump

rgds
 nerusan
aquascapes
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 7:31 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

nerusan  wrote  (View  Post):                
HI
 Thanks  for  the  info,  so  Canister  is  out,  can  you  let  me  know  what  should  go  in  the  sump  then,  I  will  using  external  skimmer  to  save  space  in  the  sump.
 What  about  chemical  filtration  and  mechanical  filtration  Â stuff  should  i  put  in  the  sump

Niranjan,
 If  you  carefully  read  murthy's  and  my  post  above  you  will  understand  that  what  we  are  trying  to  say  is  very  simple..........only  a  mechanical  filter!
 you  need  a  chemical  filter  only  if  you  want  to  alter  the  water  chemistry  -  not  otherwise.  Yes,  a  calcium  reactor  or  something  similar  will  be  good  if  you  maintain  a  reef  that  has  stony  corals  which  are  not  legal  here  in  India  even  otherwise  a  calcium  reactor  will  be  a  blessing  to  the  coralline  algae.
nerusan
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2007 2:21 pm Post subject: Re: Fliteration set up help in Reef tank Reply with quote

Hi
 Thanks  for  the  tip,  will  keep  you  informed  ,as  I  progress,  started  work  on  the  stand  for  the  tank  

rgds
 nerusan
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Marine Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: