90. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,825

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DIY Background
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DIY Background
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:18 pm Post subject: DIY Background Reply with quote

Hi  all...  after  going  thro  too  many  DIY  backgrounds  i  decided  to  do  my  own  background  and  went  in  search  of  many  things.  First  of  all  Thermacol  (AKA  Styrofoam)  and  was  able  to  lay  my  hands  onto  a  4"  thick  thermacol  from  a  manufacturer...

and  i  went  about  cutting  the  thermacol  to  my  wil  and  wish  (First  time)  using  a  small  6"  hacksaw  blade  and  i  ended  up  with  the  following:

it  was  not  to  my  expectations,  but  since  this  is  the  first  time...  next  should  be  better  as  i  learnt  only  during  the  end  of  the  cuttings  how  to  get  a  proper  depth  and  how  to  get  the  grooves.  anyways  will  post  a  detailed  start  to  end  of  my  project  in  due  course  of  time.

Now,  i  am  stuck  with  a  main  issue:  
 I  was  able  to  get  Food-Grade  Waterproofing  component  from  Cico  Called  damp-coat.  and  it  is  white  in  color.  For  me  to  attain  the  various  colors  i  need  to  add  stainer's  to  get  the  respective  colors  of  black/grey/brown...

On  talking  with  many  many  paint  companies  i  found  that  the  Stainer  is  a  concentrated  pigment  mixture  that  is  non-toxic  and  doesn't  alter  the  composition  of  the  product  in  which  it  is  mixed  with.

My  Big  million  dollar  Q  is  :  if  i  mix  these  stainer's  with  my  food-grade  waterproofing  component  to  get  the  desired  colors  to  paint  the  background,  will  i  still  be  able  to  maintain  the  food-grade  nature  of  the  waterproofing  component?  any  one  has  got  any  experience  with  this?  

Any  other  suggestions  to  add  color  to  the  waterproofing  component  will  be  really  really  appreciated.

Regards
 Pk
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:33 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Hi  PK,
 It  seems  that  you  have  worked  really  very  hard,  but  please  upload  the  picture  once  again,  becuase  the  picture  is  not  being  open.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ravi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:42 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Hello,

Is  this  4  inches  thick  ?  You  will  be  replacing  quite  a  lot  of  water  with  this  thick  a  board.

Why  not  use  this  as  a  pattern  &  make  a  fiber  glass  back  drop  ?  The  resins  will  be  inert  &  will  not  react  with  water.Also,  it  will  displace  far  less  water.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:52 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Hey  Ravi  thatz  my  next  step...

4",  since  my  entire  filtration  system  is  going  to  be  setup  on  the  back  of  this  thermacol...  already  cut  about  2"  on  the  back  of  the  thermacol  to  accomodate  the  motor  and  filter  media.  Now  just  have  to  groove  a  path  to  the  extreme  left,  where  if  you  notice  on  the  top  right  corner  there  is  inlet  provision  into  the  tank...  so  the  water  will  enter  at  the  bottom  right,  goto  motor,  then  media,  then  travel  to  the  left  top  and  into  the  tank  again.

So  no  external  system,  or  handing  devices...  nothing  will  be  visible.

4"  when  cut,  and  filtration  on  rear  is  introduced..  the  net  volume  used  by  the  background  is  approx  2"  only.  thatz  why  i  choose  4".  Its  easy  to  get  the  shapes  going.

Last  night,  I  used  a  hairdryer  to  heat  the  entire  thermacol  after  cutting  to  stabilize  the  cuts,shapes  and  grooves.  now  it  seems  pretty  hard.  

and  even  when  i  use  fibre,  i  need  to  color  it...  so  still  in  look  out  for  paints  ...  any  suggestions  on  paints?  or  pigments  additives?

Pk
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:59 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

PK,

Try  using  a  butane  torch,  you  get  them  in  the  size  of  a  pen,  and  are  refilled  from  cigarette  lighter  gas  canisters.

Burn  the  thermocoel  to  the  desired  shape.  This  will  avoid  the  sharp  contours  of  a  blade.  The  result  is  awesome.

There  is  thread  on  DIY  backgrounds,  it  was  probably  started  by  Elaine  a  couple  of  years  ago.  I've  given  the  food  grade  coatings  and  stainers  that  can  be  used  to  paint  the  thremocoel.
 Search  the  forums  for  the  thread.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:18 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Thanks  a  lot  madan...  will  give  that  a  try  and  give  the  feedbacks...

will  search  the  threads.

Pk
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:39 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

I'll  post  a  picture  of  the  butane  torch  later  today,  so  you  can  visualise  it  better.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:43 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Already  calling  my  sources  for  a  butane  torch..  i  think  it  will  also  help  me  in  bending  PVC/Acrylic  tubes  instead  of  me  getting  blasted  by  my  mom  when  i  use  the  stove  to  bend  them!!!  ha  ha  ha...

Madan,  i  searched  for  the  thread  by  elaine  regarding  paints,  but  was  unable  to  locate  it...  by  any  chance  you  have  the  link?

Pk
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:02 am Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Madan,  found  the  link  sir...
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=3168&highlight=stainer

Thanks  for  the  info.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:33 pm Post subject: DIY Thermacol Background - in progress!!! Reply with quote

Finally  was  able  to  do  enormous  work  on  the  background  paint  with  the  help  of  Mr.Madan  and  asian  paints  and  pidilite  people  and  finally  was  to  be  come  to  a  conclusion  that  the  universal  stainers  available  in  the  market  is  non-toxic  as  it  is  a  content  of  a  water-oil  soluble  compound  with  concentrated  pigments....

ended  up  buyin  quite  a  few  colors  and  started  off  with  mixing  black  to  my  damp-coat  and  ended  up  with  light-dark  grayish  color  on  my  background...

and  here  is  a  pic  of  it..  the  quality  aint  that  good...  mostly  when  i  am  doin  my  second  background  will  do  a  better  job.

planning  to  coat  with  another  mixture  of  damp-coat  with  brown  to  give  shades  of  brown  texxtured  finish...  lets  see  how  it  turns  out..

any  one  has  any  suggestions?

Pk
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:38 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Pk  no  can  see  the  picture.

Link  missing.  Chuckle
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Be  very  careful  using  the  butane  torch  to  heat  Acrylic/PVC  for  bending,  the  heat  is  intense  and  the  fumes  that  emnate  ignite  very  quickly.

Using  a  candle  is  more  than  sufficient,  I  will  swear  by  the  candle.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

PK  the  pictures  of  the  Butane  torch.  It  comes  with  various  attachments,  especially  a  knife,  cuts  through  plastics  like  butter.
Perikaruppan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:27 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  input  madan...  still  unable  to  locate  butane  torch..  thought  of  using  cigarette  lighters!!!  that  better  than  a  candle  right?  operational  convenience  is  much  better  i  feel.

reg,  pic  donna  how  to  do  it...  uploaded  it  to  the  gallery  and  put  the  link  on  here.  but  it  aint  showing.

Requested  venket  to  work  it  out...should  be  in  place  soon  i  hope!!!

But  i  have  resized  and  posted  the  pic  here  again!!!  hopefully  it  works!!!

Pk
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 04, 2007 10:30 pm Post subject: Re: DIY Background Reply with quote

You'll  burn  your  thumb  with  a  cigarette  lighter.

Use  a  candle.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: