42. Guest
43. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,846

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
srohit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:27 pm Post subject: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

Hello  Guys,

I  need  a  few  suggestions  regarding  the  fertilizers  that  I  can  put  inside  my  substrate  and  can  slow  release  nutrients  to  the  plants  roots.  

I  have  1.5  inch  of  Hyderabadi  gravel  (nothing  but  a  pH  neutral  river  gravel,  approx  2  mm  in  size)  ,  and  1.5  inch  of  garden  soil  (bangalore  soil  with  typical  reddish  color)  .

After  having  2  weeks  of  incredible  plants  growth  ,  now  I  see  them  getting  a  bit  stagnated.  co2  is  available  co2  tank.  I  will  be  upgrading  my  lights  ,  as  I  got  one  full  spectrum  Dymax  tube  this  week.  However,  till  now  it  is  about  2.5  w/gal.  Changing  20%  of  water  every  week.  

Any  DIY  suggestions  are  also  welcome  !

Thanks.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

srohit  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hello  Guys,

I  need  a  few  suggestions  regarding  the  fertilizers  that  I  can  put  inside  my  substrate  and  can  slow  release  nutrients  to  the  plants  roots.  

I  have  1.5  inch  of  Hyderabadi  gravel  (nothing  but  a  pH  neutral  river  gravel,  approx  2  mm  in  size)  ,  and  1.5  inch  of  garden  soil  (bangalore  soil  with  typical  reddish  color)  .

After  having  2  weeks  of  incredible  plants  growth  ,  now  I  see  them  getting  a  bit  stagnated.  co2  is  available  co2  tank.  I  will  be  upgrading  my  lights  ,  as  I  got  one  full  spectrum  Dymax  tube  this  week.  However,  till  now  it  is  about  2.5  w/gal.  Changing  20%  of  water  every  week.  

Any  DIY  suggestions  are  also  welcome  !

Thanks.                

You  didnt  mention  about  your  dosing  regime
 The  plants  mist  have  utilised  the  reserve  nutrients  and  are  now  starving  and  hence  the  stagnated  growth.
 Most  of  us  have  had  similar  setup  and  dosing  in  water  column  helps.
 Though  I  have  never  tried  adding  under  gravel  fertilisers  but  the  'slow  releaseing  phenomenon'  is  a  catch  here.
 There  used  to  be   (or  there  are  still)  Jobes  sticks  which  solved  this  purpose  very  well.  But  they  remain  elusive  forever  .  Smile  (I  havent  tried  them  either)
srohit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

I  plan  to  start  to  EI  from  this  weekend,  as  two  weeks  are  almost  over  from  the  setup.  However,  as  you  said  correctly  "slow  release"  is  the  catch,  but  it  is  going  to  much  less  maintenance  as  compared  to  EI  dosing.  
 Maybe  I  wrap  up  some  amount  of  fertilizer  in  a  cotton  cloth,  and  push  it  deep  into  the  substrate,  will  it  help  ?
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:17 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

I  am  not  sure  if  it  is  a  good  idea  to  do  that.
 Once  it  comes  into  contact  with  the  water  column,  it  will  probably  change  the  parameters  drastically.
 For  all  you  know,  managing  the  mess  this  might  turn  to  be  more  time  consuming  than  EI  Smile

There  was  an  old  discussion  on  the  same  topic  started  by  Nag.
 I  cant  find  it  now.
srohit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

Yes,  you  are  right...  I  would  rather  not  make  a  mess.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:54 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

Srohit,

Under  gravel  filters  and  Planted  tanks  are  a  bad  combo.

Regards,
 Nayak.
srohit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

@Nayak  :  I  am  talking  about  fertilizers  not  filters   Chuckle
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

Most  of  aquatic  plants  absorb  nutrients  from  the  water  column,  however  some  like  echinodorus  species  which  have  good  root  system  absorb  nutrients  from  substrate  also.
 Hence  if  you  have  plants  which  are  root  feeders,  the  substrate  thing  might  help  but  water  fertilizaion  is  easy  and  can  be  changed  as  and  when  required.
 I  have  occasionally  seen  people  pushing  ferti  sticks  near  roots  of  large  plants.
 Diana  Walstad  has  explained  it  very  beautifully  in  her  boos,  get  hold  of  it  and  it  will  help.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sat Jul 26, 2008 12:15 pm Post subject: Re: Under Gravel Fertilizers - Suggestion Required Reply with quote

srohit  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Nayak  :  I  am  talking  about  fertilizers  not  filters  Â Chuckle                

Oops!  I  thought  you  meant  UGF  where  as  you  were  talking  about  substrate  fertilisers.  Chuckle  

Try  Azoo.  It  gave  me  good  result  for  Cryptocorynes  as  well  as  Echinodorus.

Regards,
 Nayak.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: