89. Guest
90. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,879

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Wild caught P.Bimaculatus
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Wild caught P.Bimaculatus
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:12 am Post subject: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Hello  all

Here  is  the  link  to  pics  of  P.  Bimaculatus  that  I  caught  in  a  local  canal.

http://profile.imageshack.us/user/mcgokul33/images/detail/#143/twospotbarbqw4.jpg  

I  stumbled  on  the  P.Bimaculatus  thread  only  today  (http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=9489).  I  decided  to  start  a  new  thread  as  the  above  thread  was  about  two  months  old.  Vyas  and  Madhu  helped  ID  this  fish.  

They  have  been  with  me  for  more  than  a  month.  I  caught  about  a  dozen  from  a  very  muddy  canal  along  with  some  Loaches(Lepidocephalus  termalis),  Rasbora  Daniconicus  and  of  course  the  great  Tilapia(I  found  out  only  later).  

They  are  simply  amazing.  Very  fast  moving.  I  could  take  clear  photos  because  they  were  browsing  on  some  algae.  Great  algae  eaters  too.  Great  fish  to  keep  Thumb Up  .  I  feed  them  pellets,  freeze  dried  Tubifex  and  BW's.

Regards  
 Gokul

Last edited by mcgokul on Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 11:26 am Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Good  for  you,  Mate.  Thumb Up  

Nice  to  see  you  progressing  deeper  into  natives.  P.Bimaculatus  are  fast  movers.  So  beware  of  them  jumping  out.  And  I  think  you  might  have  to  upgrade  to  a  bigger  aquarium.

That  stingy  Madhu  gave  me  only  one  of  the  fish  Mad  

Nayak.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Dear  Gokul
 Happy  to  note  that  you  are  caring  much  for  the  Puntis  variety.  You  know  there  are  more  than  12  varieties  available  in  Indian  subcontinent  and  they  are  so  hardy  and  agile.  I  can  remember  in  Darjeeling  we  used  to  catch  them  from  paddy  field  and  keep  them  in  Horlicks  bottle.
 Regards
 Kaushik
vyastk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 12:43 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Quite  sad  to  see  a  lotof  them  end  up  as  feeders....
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:14 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

@Nayak:  The  pictures  were  shot  about  two  days  after  I  caught  them.  Now  they  are  swimming  happily  in  my  48x24x24  planted  tank.  Lost  two  in  the  first  day,  they  jumped  out!  They  seem  to  have  settled  nicely  now  Thumb Up  ,  but  difficult  to  photograph.  Next  time  I  land  up  in  B'lore,  I'll  try  to  get  a  few  for  you.

@Kaushik:  Yes  I  just  love  them.  They  are  so  active  and  once  settled  the  the  fins  get  a  slight  reddish  hue.  They  are  tough.  The  water  I  found  them  in  was  flowing  but  very  very  dirty.  I've  had  no  casualties  so  far  except  for  the  two  that  jumped  out.

@Vyas:  You  are  right!
vyastk

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:19 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Gokul:  They  are  quite  often  found  at  LFS  here...Caught  one  also  recently  on  a  short  trip  nearby!
diwan
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 1:57 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Gokul  did'nt   know  those  were  wild  caught  by  youself   Thumb Up  

Dinesh.
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 2:40 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Dinesh,
 By  myself  and  one  of  my  students.  We  caught  them  with  a  mosquito  net  without  getting  into  the  water  (or  ditch  I  should  say)  Chuckle  .  That's  where  I  also  get  my  Bloodworms  Thumb Up  .  

Vyas,
 It  is  found  in  LFS's  here  too.  They  look  different,  quite  drab  in  fact.  I  don't  know  if  they  are  wild  caught  or  tank  bred  (since  they  are  so  common,  they  are  probably  wild  ones).  It's  probably  found  in  most  water  bodies  in  India.  Its  re-discovery  was  fun  Smile  .
Seetharam

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:56 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Nice  Looking  guys,a  group  of  them  would  look  good  in  a  planted  tank   Smile
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

vyastk  wrote  (View  Post):                
Gokul:  They  are  quite  often  found  at  LFS  here...Caught  one  also  recently  on  a  short  trip  nearby!                

Could  be  P.sophore  as  well.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Hamza
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:13 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Nice  catch,  lovely  natives!
 Man  am  getting  fed  up  of  hearing  about  tilapia  from  every  one  going  on  fishing  trip....My  suggestion  to  all  who  go  for  fishing,  try  to  catch  as  many  tilapia  as  you  can  and  feast  on  them,  infact  catch  some  extra,  store  them  in  your  freezers,  and  relish  them  everyday.  Chuckle
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:27 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Hamza  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  catch,  lovely  natives!
 Man  am  getting  fed  up  of  hearing  about  tilapia  from  every  one  going  on  fishing  trip....My  suggestion  to  all  who  go  for  fishing,  try  to  catch  as  many  tilapia  as  you  can  and  feast  on  them,  infact  catch  some  extra,  store  them  in  your  freezers,  and  relish  them  everyday.  Chuckle                

Hamza,
 Introduced  by  our  well  meaning  Govt.  in  the  mid  50's,  Tilapia  are  here  to  stay.  They've  become  ubiquitous.  Happy  that  many  natives  have  learnt  to  live  with  it  and  survive.  In  fact  I'm  raising  some  I  caught  for  the  pot.  I  just  can't  imagine  the  havoc  FH's  will  cause  if  some  find  their  way  into  our  waters,  if  they  have  not  already  Thumb Down  .

Last edited by mcgokul on Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:30 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:28 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Dear  Hamza
 Blowing  bugles  for  Anti-Tilapia  drive.  Think  about  the  poor  section  of  our  society(32%  BPL).  At  least  in  the  name  of  Fish  they  can  get  this  top  protein  sources  in  their  thalis  Smile  
 Regards
 Kaushik
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:31 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

@gokul
 Nice  catch  and  you  nice  pics  well  Smile

Just  curious.
 What  is  the  common/trade  name  of  tilapia  in  local  fish  markets  ?
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 25, 2008 4:34 pm Post subject: Re: Wild caught P.Bimaculatus Reply with quote

Here  (in  Karnataka  and  TN)  it  is  called  Jilebi.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: