57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Substrate for E.canarensis
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Substrate for E.canarensis

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:28 am Post subject: Substrate for E.canarensis Reply with quote

Im  planning  to  house  my  E.canarensis  along  with  Pristolepis  malabaricus,  P.filamentosus,  E.maculatus,  P.aequipinneatus,  puffers  and  a  few  other  loaches.    I've  got  a  lot  of  stones  picked  from  building  sand  that  are  medicated.    Can  i  use  the  stones  as  gravel  for  the  3  foot  tank  that  i  plan  to  house  canarensis  or  can  i  leave  it  bare  bottom.    With  stones,  they  feel  at  home  but  there  will  be  a  little  high  nitrates.    On  the  other  hand  with  BB  very  low  nitrates  but  a  little  artificial  look.    Anyways  i'd  be  putting  a  large  piece  of  drift  wood  and  a  few  boulders  in.    Which  would  you  guys  suggest  BB  or  stones?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
nag
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:46 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Madhu:

I'm  keeping  them  in  a  BB  tank  with  Rock  work  and  Driftwood...They  seem  to  be  happy...

Later  I  plan  to  put  fine  sand  as  the  substrate...
 Bye,
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
ravi
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:52 am Post subject: Re: Substrate for E.canarensis Reply with quote

Hi  Madhu,

madhu_ulysses  wrote:                
stones  picked  from  building  sand  that  are  medicated.                

What  do  you  mean  by  this  ?  How  was  it  medicated  ?  Do  you  mean  contaminated  with  cement  ?

madhu_ulysses  wrote:                
With  stones,  they  feel  at  home  but  there  will  be  a  little  high  nitrates.    On  the  other  hand  with  BB  very  low  nitrates  but  a  little  artificial  look.                

Actually,  it's  the  other  way  about.  Diana  Walstad  says  that  the  nitrites  &  nitrates  levels  are  significantly  lower  in  a  tank  with  gravel  than  without  gravel.  Gravel  provides  plenty  of  anchor  points  for  bacteria  which  converts  ammonia,  nitrites,  nitrates,  etc.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 9:56 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Right  now  I  have  them  in  a  tank  with  Gravel,  stones  and  driftwood.  Their  growout  was  a  BB  tank  with  driftwood.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 10:00 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  medicated  them.    Put  them  in  a  strong  soln  of  pot.permanganate,  dil  hcl  and  many  other  meds  i  have  and  have  picked  the  ones  which  had  no  cement  coat.
 Ok!  Will  start  with  a  BB  with  boulders  and  wood.    Then  with  progress  would  add  sand  more  stones  etc.,
 Thanks  a  lot  for  the  input  guys!    Very Happy
joyban

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:17 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Madhu,

Just  look  at  the  actual  Bio  Type  Of  these  fishes  ...  PICS  Reference  ..  You  would  know  what  to  get  for  them  .  Also  I  feel  you  would  need  some  kind  of  water  movement  ...  Power  Heads...

Also  please  be  careful  with  BB  tanks  and  River  Stones,  I  guess  a  thin  line  of  sand  would  be  good.  It  will  at  least  work  as  a  shock  absorber  in  case  the  stones  rolls...

Actual  Bio  Type  Image...

joyban
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 11:34 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote:                
I  medicated  them.    Put  them  in  a  strong  soln  of  pot.permanganate,  dil  hcl  and  many  other  meds  i  have  and  have  picked  the  ones  which  had  no  cement  coat.
 Ok!  Will  start  with  a  BB  with  boulders  and  wood.    Then  with  progress  would  add  sand  more  stones  etc.,
 Thanks  a  lot  for  the  input  guys!    Very Happy                

You  did  this  to  the  fish???????????
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:09 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madhu,  why  did  you  give  the  stones  the  third  degree  treatment???    :lol:  

IMO,  go  with  sand/gravel,  a  few  large  rocks  and  driftwood.  Beta's  setup  sounds  about  perfect.

In  a  3  foot  tank,  I'd  ditch  the  Pristolepis  (and  maybe  even  the  E.  maculatus)...just  go  with  the  canarensis  a  few  small  loaches  and  a  shoal  of  dithers.
Vijayblr
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 1:11 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madanji,

Madhu  is  mentioning  about  the  rocks  and  boulders  he  has  at  his  place.  So  that  he  can  use  them  in  the  tank.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2005 7:10 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

madan  wrote:                

You  did  this  to  the  fish???????????                

Certainly  not  sir.    Only  the  stones  that  too  because  it  was  in  my  friend's  tank  for  a  while.    So  had  to  go  for  3rd  degree  treatment.
 One  large  drift  wood,  1  power  filter  600  l/hr  (adding  one  more  shortly),  2  boulders  and  2  small  flower  pots  and  the  live  stock  is  what  is  inside  the  BB  tank.

Rahul,
 This  is  only  temporary.    Planning  to  go  for  a  4x2x1.5  for  these  guys  later.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 14, 2005 11:25 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Madhu,

The  sand  in  the  river  bed  was  very  fine  sand.  About  0.1  -  0.2  mm  dia.  This  was  mixed  with  a  little  more  coarser  grade  of  about  0.5mm  dia  sand.

The  rocks  were  the  usual  rounded  granite  rocks.

You'll  have  to  figure  out  a  way  of  adding  driftwood  &  rocks  to  make  them  look  appealing,  and  creating  open  spaces  of  sand.  A  bit  of  dried  leaf  litter  would  help  too.  

You'll  have  to  renew  the  leaves  once  a  week  or  there  abouts.

This  will  ensure  the  water  has  the  required  tannins  too.

The  article  about  the  collection  trip  is  finally  ready.  My  fault  as  I  redid  it  a  few  times  and  added  more  photographs.  Beta  should  upload  it  during  the  weekend  after  a  final  look  at  it  today.  The  bio  tope  pictures  there  in  will  give  you  some  inspiration.
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 15, 2005 9:29 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Got  the  point  sir!    But  these  guys  seem  to  be  messy  eaters.    On  day  1  after  being  added  to  the  tank  they  were  fed  4  times  a  day  and  never  wasted  even  a  bit  of  food.    So  thought  a  BB  with  WCs  could  serve  best  in  keeping  nitrates  to  the  min.    The  drift  wood's  started  to  work  and  i  see  a  little  tannin  in  the  water.    Think  until  they  grow  to  a  fair  size  i'd  go  with  a  BB.    Suggestions?    Anything  else  required?
 Also  they  seem  to  have  developed  a  peck  order  especially  during  feeding  time.    The  biggest  claims  the  first  preference  when  it  comes  to  food  and  there's  a  little  bully.    All  the  guys  are  open  swimmers,  but  when  it  comes  to  feeding,  they  wait  for  someone  else  to  get  to  eating  first  and  then  turn  up  to  the  food  and  drive  the  barbs  (who  start  feeding)  away.    Smart  little  buggars!Very Happy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: