112. Guest
113. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,750

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - What other fish can I keep with Silver Arowana
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

What other fish can I keep with Silver Arowana
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2005 11:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

What  about  a  Discus?    Is  that  a  possible  tank-mate?
 Madhu,  I  get  the  point  which  you  are  trying  to  tell.  I  understand  that  they  grow  big  and  I  am  surely  prepared  for  it  now  and  will  get  another  tank  in  a  few  months.  
 Ok  tell,  me  how  much  time  do  I  have  till  it  outgrows(I  mean  reach  around  15-18")  the  tank.  
 Thanks  a  lot  for  the  valuable  suggestions
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 8:11 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Silver  Aros  grow  very  fast,  generally  an  inch  a  month.    So  should  reach  18"  in  18  months  or  possibly  less  than  that.    You  can  reduce  your  feeding  once  it  crosses  1  ft  to  once  a  day  or  even  alternate  days.    Cos  to  the  best  of  my  knowledge  most  arowanas  die  soon  by  over-feeding  than  any  other  factor.

Quote:                

What  about  a  Discus?  Is  that  a  possible  tank-mate?                  

Discus  with  arowana!    Shocked  It  will  possibly  be  scared  to  death  by  constantly  seeing  a  monster  cruising  around  and  devouring  bait.    No  way  you  can  add  discus  with  an  arowana  on  the  long  run  unless  and  until  you  get  a  'freaky',  'aggressive','daring'  discus.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:15 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

I  think  the  Shedd  aquarium  (or  maybe  it  was  the  Steinhart)  had  an  Amazoninan  display  with  aros  and  wild  discus,  among  other  fish...but  then  the  tank  was  several  1000  gallons  in  capacity  :wink:    :lol:
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:41 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

retro_gk  wrote:                
I  think  the  Shedd  aquarium  (or  maybe  it  was  the  Steinhart)  had  an  Amazoninan  display  with  aros  and  wild  discus,  among  other  fish...but  then  the  tank  was  several  1000  gallons  in  capacity  :wink:    :lol:                

Any  idea  of  trying  one  similar  to  that  puneit    :wink:    Razz
tinasam
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 9:56 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

hi  crazyfish

you  can  have  senegal  bicher,  they  are  good  tankmate  for  arowanas,  they  are  botom  dwellers  and  ravish  eaters,  they  can  take  care  of  left  overs,
 it  is  one  of  the  intresting  fish  i  known.
 i  have  5'  x  1.5  x2'  tank  with  one  silver  arowana  ,  one  suckermouth  and  two  senegal  bicher  and  the  tank  full  of  vallisneria,  i  use  900l\h  external  canister  and  one  sponge  driven  by  air  pump
 all  the  best
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:01 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi                                                  
tinasam  wrote:                
hi  crazyfish

Hey  pal...u  got  the  name  wrong  :lol:  its  punneit  u  should  be  addressing  Very Happy  
 Rgds
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:41 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
retro_gk  wrote:  
 I  think  the  Shedd  aquarium  (or  maybe  it  was  the  Steinhart)  had  an  Amazoninan  display  with  aros  and  wild  discus,  among  other  fish...but  then  the  tank  was  several  1000  gallons  in  capacity  

Any  idea  of  trying  one  similar  to  that  puneit                        

1000  gal  ,  can  be  thought  of  only  when  I  settle  down  in  life.  My  mom  keeps  telling  me  that  one  day  she  will  put  me  in  one  of  the  tanks.  :lol:  and  she  says  that  I  will  look  pretty  swiming  among  the  fish.
 So  tank  of  that  size  can  come  in  another  2-3  years.

Quote:                
You  can  reduce  your  feeding  once  it  crosses  1  ft  to  once  a  day  or  even  alternate  days.  Cos  to  the  best  of  my  knowledge  most  arowanas  die  soon  by  over-feeding  than  any  other  factor.  

That  was  one  question  I  was  going  to  ask  you  guys  today.  Does  the  5  min  funda(feed  what  a  fish  can  consume  in  5  min)  apply  to  Aro  too?
 I  feed  him  6-8    cubes  of  about  a  centimetre  side  of  Beef  Heart  Mix  in  two  feedings  one  in  the  morning  and  one  in  the  evening.  It  takes  about  a  min  or  two  for  it  to  consume  this.  I  have  a  feeling  that  I  am    overfeeding.  Am  I?

Quote:                
Silver  Aros  grow  very  fast,  generally  an  inch  a  month.  So  should  reach  18"  in  18  months  or  possibly  less  than  that                

18  months  is  enough  time  to  plan  another  tank.    :wink:
Vijayblr
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:45 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Quote:                
So  tank  of  that  size  can  come  in  another  2-3  years.  

That  too  for  a  1000galon  Shocked
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 11:50 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Na...I  just  said  that  without  giving  much    of  a  thought.  What  I  meant  was  the  largest  I  can  house  and  afford
venki25
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Arowana  with  a  discus  -  sounds  funy.  I  have  seen  photos  of  a  owner  having  kept  discus  with  Aro.  In  arofanatics  forum,  discussion  was  going  on  some  arguing  that  discus  cannot  be  swallowed  by  a  aro  etc...  etc..  But  remember  Discus  is  a  very  gentle  fish  and  it  needs  a  serene  atmosphere  to  grow  and  be  happy.

IMHO  some  fishes  need  to  be  kept  alone  in  certain  size  tank.  follow  it.  It  will  be  an  adventure  on  an  aquarist  to  try  and  keeping  different  aggressive  species.  

I  have  appreciated  Madhus  tank  setups  with  variety  of  species  which  i  cannot  even  think  of  housing  in  my  dreams.  He  follows  very  good  technique.  He  has  housed  a  pearl  aro  with  some  morray  eels.  Morray  eels  are  bottom  dwellers  when  the  aro  is  a  top  dweller.  The  eels  have  been  provided  with  pvc  conduits  for  hiding,  those  fishes  come  up  like  a  lightning  when  there's  feed  floating  on  the  top.  His  chichlid  tank  is  incomparable,  it  has  vieja  and  oscars  all  in  big  size  but  not  fighting  at  all.  But  still  for  a  person  like  Madhu,  who  has  been  rearing  them  with  good  understanding  and  technique  has  commented  that  he's  sitting  on  a  ticking  time  piece.

I  have  had  various  types  of  dither  fishes  for  my  FH  to  chase.  The  first  dy  it  is  fun  to  watch,  but  later  i  feel  it  is  cruelty.  Fortunately  the  dithers  have  not  lasted  long.  But  once  i  had  four  silver  dollars  with  my  FH,  presuming  they  were  quick  darting  fishes  and  i  expected  them  to  stay  longer.  Only  one  of  the  6  fishes  stayed  alive  for  about  10  days.  5  were  killed  by  my  FH  male,  when  the  male  and  female  were  on  mating  processes,  the  one  survivor  went  to  a  the  practice  of  acting  dead,  all  three  days  he  was  close  to  the  top  on  an  upside  down  pose.  Once  the  mating  and  egg  fertilisation  finished  he  was  back  in  action.  This  was  a  time  i  realised  that  target  fishes  too  had  brains  and  feelings  and  they  were  not  workthy  to  having  get  killed  for  our  fun  sake.

Having  cited  all  this,  i  must  mention  that  think  twice  and  choose  a  tankmate.
venki25
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 1:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Arowana  with  a  discus  -  sounds  funy.  I  have  seen  photos  of  a  owner  having  kept  discus  with  Aro.  In  arofanatics  forum,  discussion  was  going  on  some  arguing  that  discus  cannot  be  swallowed  by  a  aro  etc...  etc..  But  remember  Discus  is  a  very  gentle  fish  and  it  needs  a  serene  atmosphere  to  grow  and  be  happy.

IMHO  some  fishes  need  to  be  kept  alone  in  certain  size  tank.  follow  it.  It  will  be  an  adventure  on  an  aquarist  to  try  and  keeping  different  aggressive  species.  

I  have  appreciated  Madhus  tank  setups  with  variety  of  species  which  i  cannot  even  think  of  housing  in  my  dreams.  He  follows  very  good  technique.  He  has  housed  a  pearl  aro  with  some  morray  eels.  Morray  eels  are  bottom  dwellers  when  the  aro  is  a  top  dweller.  The  eels  have  been  provided  with  pvc  conduits  for  hiding,  those  fishes  come  up  like  a  lightning  when  there's  feed  floating  on  the  top.  His  chichlid  tank  is  incomparable,  it  has  vieja  and  oscars  all  in  big  size  but  not  fighting  at  all.  But  still  for  a  person  like  Madhu,  who  has  been  rearing  them  with  good  understanding  and  technique  has  commented  that  he's  sitting  on  a  ticking  time  piece.

I  have  had  various  types  of  dither  fishes  for  my  FH  to  chase.  The  first  dy  it  is  fun  to  watch,  but  later  i  feel  it  is  cruelty.  Fortunately  the  dithers  have  not  lasted  long.  But  once  i  had  four  silver  dollars  with  my  FH,  presuming  they  were  quick  darting  fishes  and  i  expected  them  to  stay  longer.  Only  one  of  the  6  fishes  stayed  alive  for  about  10  days.  5  were  killed  by  my  FH  male,  when  the  male  and  female  were  on  mating  processes,  the  one  survivor  went  to  a  the  practice  of  acting  dead,  all  three  days  he  was  close  to  the  top  on  an  upside  down  pose.  Once  the  mating  and  egg  fertilisation  finished  he  was  back  in  action.  This  was  a  time  i  realised  that  target  fishes  too  had  brains  and  feelings  and  they  were  not  workthy  to  having  get  killed  for  our  fun  sake.

Having  cited  all  this,  i  must  mention  that  think  twice  and  choose  a  tankmate,  after  you  study  and  understand  your  aro  well.
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 2:51 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Venki,
 Talking  of  second  thoughts,  I  am  giving  N  number  of  thoughts  before  I  add  another  fish  with  the  Aro,
 I  read  somewhere  in  arofanatics  about  someone  keeping  Discus  with  Aro,  and  thats  why  I  asked  you  guys.
 Its  no  fun  to  see  a  fish  being  eaten  away  by  another  tankmate,  it  happens  in  the  wild,  alright  but  we  don't  live  in  the  wild.  
 This  is  the  only  reason  why  I  sarted  this  thread.  I  no-longer  believe  the  LFS  guys,  they  just  say  anything.  
 Since  Aro  is  a  surface  dweller,  I  want  to  have  fish  that  are  mid  level  or  bottom  dewellers.    One  fish  that  I  would  like  to  keep  is  a  Black  Ghost  Knife,  only  if  someone  assures  me  that  BGK  and  the  Aro  can  be  housed  togther.
 LFS  guy  said  Angels  can  be  kept.  What  do  you  say  about  that?
 Thanks  for  your  time  and  valuable  suggestions
Vijayblr
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 4:53 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Puniet  as  you  seemed  to  be  a  bit  confused  I  would  like  to  tell  you  some  things.
 1.  As  far  as  my  experience  goes  in  case  you  like  to  house  Silver  aro  I  would  recommend  you  to  have  atleast  a  pair  of  them.
   As  the  one  which  you  have  is  still  in  its  juvinile  stages  it  would  be  better  for  you  to  add  another  Aro  or  any  other  fish  as  soon  as  possible.
 2.  It  would  be  better  for  you  to  go  for  any  fast  moving  fish  rather  than  slow  movers.  This  way  you  can  have  other  fish  for  a  longer  period  of  time  with  out  any  serious  risk.
 3.  The  idea  of  having  Bottom  Dwellers  or  Mid  dwellers  is  the  best  idea  as  the  aro  will  be  comfortable  in  controlling  the  top  level.  But  one  important  point  to  be  noted  here  is  the  feeding  aspect  as  in  this  case  if  the  Aro  becomes  aggressive  while  feeding  then  the  aro  will  not  let  the  bottom  dwellers  come  to  the  surface.  So  you  can  opt  for  shrinking  pellets.
 4.  If  fed  with  different  varieties  of  food  the  Aro  can  be  housed  with  docile  fish  too.  I  too  have  heard  about  Aro  being  kept  with  Discus  but  never  seen  one.  So  as  this  is  your  first  experience  in  keeping  an  Aro  i  would  not  suggest  you  to  have  them  with  Discus.
 5.  Experimenting  is  an  integral  part  of  the  hobby  so  you  have  lot  of  time  ahead  to  experiment  with  a  lot  of  other  fish.
 All  the  best.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 5:10 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Arrawana  and  Discus  do  not  have  the  same  temperament.

An  Arrawana  is  a  tireless  swimmer.  Discus  love  to  lie  low.
 Discus  prefer  some  sort  of  cover,  arrawana  in  the  confines  of  an  aquarium  will  be  impeded  by  driftwood  etc.,

Arrawana  gobble  up  food,  discus  are  slow  eaters  and  like  to  browse  the  bottom  for  food.

Discus  need  water  at  about  30  Deg  C.  Arrawana  need  a  bit  cooler  water.

At  30  deg  C  an  Arrawana's    metabolism  will  work  overtime,  so  it  will  eat  more  and  grow  more.

You  can  keep  the  two  together  just  for  kicks.....  but  what  are  you  trying  to  prove  here!  These  two  fish  are  a  complete  mismatch  as  aquarium  mates,  even  if  you  succeed  keeping  them  together  for  a  few  years.

All  you'll  have  are  a  bunch  of  very  unhappy  discus!
puneit
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2005 6:44 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Discus  is  totally  out  for  me.  Yes,  this  is  my  first  Aro,  and  I  don't    have  any  experience  of  keeping  Discus  either.  
 And  I  don't  want  to  do  such  an  experiment  at  this  stage  where  I  keep  two  totally  unknown(to  me  )  and  not  so  easy  to  keep  species  in  the  same  tank  at  the  same  time.  
 Experimenting,  is  the  best  way  to  learn,  but  one  should  know  his  limits.  

Quote:                
You  can  keep  the  two  together  just  for  kicks.....  but  what  are  you  trying  to  prove  here!  These  two  fish  are  a  complete  mismatch  as  aquarium  mates,  even  if  you  succeed  keeping  them  together  for  a  few  years                

I  am  not  trying  to  prove  anything,  I  am  not  doing  it.  As  I  said  earlier,  I  read  this  somewhere  and  asked  if  this  could  be  a  "possible"  arrangement.  

Had  I  been  in  a  hobby  where  an  animal's  life  is  not  at  stake,  I  would  have  tried  anything  which  I  could  afford  to.  But  here  we  are  talking  of  animals,  that  too  exotic  animals  at  times.

Quote:                
The  idea  of  having  Bottom  Dwellers  or  Mid  dwellers  is  the  best  idea  as  the  aro  will  be  comfortable  in  controlling  the  top  level.  But  one  important  point  to  be  noted  here  is  the  feeding  aspect  as  in  this  case  if  the  Aro  becomes  aggressive  while  feeding  then  the  aro  will  not  let  the  bottom  dwellers  come  to  the  surface                

What  I  have  experienced  is,  most  bottom  dwellers  are  happy  if  food  is  available  at  the  bottom  of  the  tank.  Even,  if  a  bottom  dweller  comes  up  to  the  surface  to  feed,  it  will  be  only  because  no  food  is  available  at  the  bottom.    There  may  be  exceptions  to  this  I  am  sure,  and  I  would  be  glad  if  someone  highlights  them.  
 So  I  intend    to  feed  them  foods  which  are  sinking  in  nature.

Off  the  topic,  but  somehow  related  too!!
 One  thing  on  Beef  heart  here,  my  mix  sinks  within  seconds,  though  I  remember  reading  somewhere  that  one  can  make  floating  BHM.  Don't  remember  where  I  read  it,  can  anyone  help  me  out  in  this  too?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 2 of 6

Jump to: