60. Guest
61. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,795

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 3:51 pm Post subject: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

After  I  started  using  pressurized  CO2  I  have  tried  passive  diffusers  such  as  ceramic  dome,  flat  ladder,  spiral  ladder  etc.

I  also  tried  commercial  reactors  with  ceramic  balls  and  the  generic  DIY  design  with  powerheads.

The  best  result  I  got  is  with  what  I  have  a  currently  --  a  modified  AquaEL  Filter  Fan  3  internal  filter  (link  at  the  bottom  of  this  post).  Design  of  this  filter  makes  it  eminently  suitable  for  this  purpose.

In  the  picture  (enlarge  for  better  look)  you'll  see  there  is  a  detachable  top  dome  where  the  air  venturi  goes  in.  All  I  did  was  to  plug  the  CO2  tube  into  the  venturi  and  "modify"  the  impeller.  

How  I  modified  the  impeller  --  I  took  it  out  (it  comes  out  freely)  and  then  melt  round  holes  in  the  center  of  each  of  the  6  impeller  blades.  The  holes  were  as  big  as  possible  without  compromising  the  rigidness  of  the  blades.  I  also  filed  down  the  corners  of  the  blades.  I  then  attached  the  curvy  flow  diverter  to  the  filter  output  to  make  the  flow  as  downward  as  possible.

After  you  adjust  your  CO2  flow  and  turn  the  filter  on  --  you  can  literally  hear  the  impeller  swishing  the  bubbles  around  and  dissolving  them  completely.  What  comes  out  of  the  filter  is  pure  CO2  enriched  water  --  not  tiny  bubbles  or  mist  (with  apologies  to  Tom  Barr,  I  decided  to  forsake  the  supposedly  magical  effects  of  CO2  mist  directly  hitting  the  plants  as  he  claims).  My  plants  at  all  corners  of  the  tank  now  pearl  nicely.

That's  about  it  --  Thought  you-all  might  like  to  know  ...

https://sklep.aquael.pl/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?langId=-1&storeId=10001&catalogId=10001&productId=13799
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

nice  post...  I  like  to  hear  this  type  of  info..  very  useful  to  me...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Seetharam

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Nice  ....  Thanks  for  Sharing  the  Info   Thumb Up
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:16 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Debarghya/Seetharam:  Am  glad  this  is  helpful  in  some  way  ...

Two  additional  details  I  should  mention

1.  In  the  Famfilter3  I  have  removed  the  plastic  case  for  the  bottom  part  and  am  using  the  bare  sponge  --  which  is  by  design  tightly  wrapped  around  a  slitted  plastic  center  column.  I  have  placed  it  as  far  down  as  possible,  with  the  bottom  surface  of  sponge  gently  pressing  against  gravel  surface.

The  plastic  case  had  (has)  intake  vents  only  in  the  bottom  front  --  as  apparent  from  the  pic.  IMX  this  is  the  only  bad  part  in  the  design  of  the  filter  (esp  for  people  intending  to  use  this  as  just  a  simple  internal  filter).  With  the  case  on,  flow  rate  was  substantially  reduced  and  only  a  small  part  of  filter  media  (the  part  wich  is  in  direct  contact  with  case  slits)  was  actually  used  fully.

I  removed  the  case  also  because  I  wanted  to  grow  a  sizable  bacteria  colony  while  I  was  at  it.

2.  I  have  positioned  the  filter  (reactor)  in  a  way  that  the  flow  of  carbonated  water  is  along  the  length  of  the  tank.  

I  have  also  submerged  my  eheim  spraybar  and  positioned  so  that  the  water  jets  are  at  a  45  degree  downward  angle  to  water  surface.  I  then  placed  the  spraybar  couple  inches  below  water  level  and  above  the  top  of  the  reactor  --  so  they  all  are  pumping  water  to  the  same  direction  (other  end  of  the  tank),  pointing  downward.  

The  overall  effect  of  this  is  that  water  from  the  eheim  further  pushes  the  carbonated  water  to  as  far  towards  the  other  end  of  the  tank  as  possible  while  minimizing  surface  turbulance.
random2

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 5:37 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Thanks  for  sharing  this.  Are  these  filters  easily  available?

I  have  one  comment  to  add  -
 Its  not  a  good  thing  to  modify  blades.  Rotary  parts  are  designed  and  manufactured  for  uniform  distribution  of  load/force  and  any  imbalance  will  reduce  the  life  of  the  column  supporting  the  impellers  (because  of  excessive  wear).  Just  my  opinion.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:13 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

The  impeller  is  the  heart  of  any  pump.  It  is  generally  known  that  its  design  should  never  be  modified  or  altered.  Just  IMHO   Smile
ArnabPDas
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 6:28 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Deepak/Trevor  --  agreed.  I  had  that  in  mind  and  make  the  holes  as  uniform  as  I  could.

My  most  major  concern  right  now  would  be  to  find  out  if  any  significant  water  temperature  change  due  to  wear  and  tear.  Even  if  this  filter  runs  one  year  I'll  get  my  money's  worth.
DJ_Rocky
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 29, 2008 8:20 pm Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Quote:                
Even  if  this  filter  runs  one  year  I'll  get  my  money's  worth.                
AquaEL  Products  are  like  one  time  investment  and  a  lifetime  solution  Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
msghael
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:41 am Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

AquaEL   Products   are   like   one   time   investment   and   a   lifetime   solution  -  Till  you  tamper  with  them  I  suppose.  The  better  made  equipment  are  engineered  to  near  perfection.
thomas
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 8:12 am Post subject: Re: The best CO2 reactor I have tried yet Reply with quote

Where  this  product  is  available  in  India?

M.Thomas.
 9843295082     Thumbs Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: