69. Guest
70. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,824

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Cichlids
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:15 pm Post subject: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Hi  All,
 Please  checkout  my  own  lake  tanganyika   Chuckle.  as  usual,  crappy  camera  and  bad  photography   :sad:

http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2dobGMbI/AAAAAAAABcE/EDLSB1nIldA/s640/IMG_3338.JPG

A  zillion  fries  each  of  different  sizes

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2lV3kP_I/AAAAAAAABc0/6E5o4-D-Ne8/s640/IMG_3348.JPG
 http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2e90GNzI/AAAAAAAABcM/udoFOQctSGc/s640/IMG_3339.JPG  
 http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2mUlf0uI/AAAAAAAABc8/ngj1IvBGSps/IMG_3349.JPG
 http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2f2O-O9I/AAAAAAAABcU/z-cW3dMWAyY/s640/IMG_3340.JPG
 http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2kBdoS1I/AAAAAAAABcs/iPfpoVFS4yU/s640/IMG_3344.JPG
 http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2oUa3ukI/AAAAAAAABdM/9mrmM1sD6p8/IMG_3351.JPG

Full  shot
 http://lh4.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2hlD9T3I/AAAAAAAABcc/P3IoMCFPmX0/s640/IMG_3342.JPG
 http://lh6.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2i8ci2FI/AAAAAAAABck/fqEUG6BAFfs/s640/IMG_3343.JPG
 http://lh5.ggpht.com/_kemnz1mCe4s/SXh2qFuEomI/AAAAAAAABdc/wgYygJnnOe0/IMG_3353.JPG
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:23 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Looks  like  pics  from  space  Smile  
 Rgds
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2009 7:29 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

yeah  thats  the  algae  pearling   Chuckle   Chuckle
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:23 am Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

hi  
 from  the  pics  i  was  able  to  make  out  the  brichardi  and  fry  of  some  fish  
 but  can  you  please  list  
 what  is  the  stock  list  
 what  dimensions  of  tank
 and  what  regime  towards  maintenance  and  what  foods  and  any  other  thing  you  do  for  the  tank  and  the  livestock  in  it  

am  gonna  be  starting  a  tang  setup  
 and  wanted  to  know  what  all  is  done  by  a  tang  setup  owner
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:44 am Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

This  tank  currently  has  a  breeding  pair  of  brichardies  with  about  100  fries  from  5  different  batches  and  one  lone  male  julidochromis  transcriptus.  I  have  already  sold  away  about  80  fires  of  brichs  Smile.
 I  started  with  10  brichs,  2  jumped  out,  1  got  killed  and  2  went  missing  (when  I  was  gone  for  a  vacation).  I  was  finally  left  with  one  breeding  pair  and  1  breeding  trio.  I  gave  away  the  breeding  trio  to  my  brother  and  they  are  happily  spawning  in  his  tank.
 The  dimensions  of  the  tank  are  40  inches  length  20  inches  height  and  breadth  is  about  20  inches  (bow  front).  
 I  feed  them  with  hikari  excel  and  hikari  bio-gold  plus.  Weekly  wc  of  about  30%  and  I  haven't  been  able  to  clean  the  algae  since  they  killed  my  pleco  and  I  do  not  want  to  disturb  their  caves.
sudFish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:35 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

cichlidlover  wrote  (View  Post):                
This  tank  currently  has  a  breeding  pair  of  brichardies  with  about  100  fries  from  5  different  batches  and  one  lone  male  julidochromis  transcriptus.  I  have  already  sold  away  about  80  fires  of  brichs  Smile.
 I  started  with  10  brichs,  2  jumped  out,  1  got  killed  and  2  went  missing  (when  I  was  gone  for  a  vacation).  I  was  finally  left  with  one  breeding  pair  and  1  breeding  trio.  I  gave  away  the  breeding  trio  to  my  brother  and  they  are  happily  spawning  in  his  tank.
 The  dimensions  of  the  tank  are  40  inches  length  20  inches  height  and  breadth  is  about  20  inches  (bow  front).  
 I  feed  them  with  hikari  excel  and  hikari  bio-gold  plus.  Weekly  wc  of  about  30%  and  I  haven't  been  able  to  clean  the  algae  since  they  killed  my  pleco  and  I  do  not  want  to  disturb  their  caves.                

Nice  story...  I  was  seen  his  tanks  and  got  brichardi  juveniles  from  him.  Sriram  here  is  a  picture  of  one  of  the  juveniles.  

In  addition  they  feed  on  microworms,  tetra  bits  and  live  blood  worms.  read  some  place  that  daphnia  are  their  favorites.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Dear  Sriram
 You  reffer  here  the  term"  Burundi"  .  Does  it  mean  Biotope  related  to  Burundi  Country  or  Frontosa  or  Tropheus  species?Please  clarify?
 Regards
 Kaushik
sudFish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Kaushik  wrote  (View  Post):                
Dear  Sriram
 You  reffer  here  the  term"  Burundi"  .  Does  it  mean  Biotope  related  to  Burundi  Country  or  Frontosa  or  Tropheus  species?Please  clarify?
 Regards
 Kaushik                

Neolamporologus  brichardi  commonly  called  Brichardi  is  a  tang  cichlid  .  They  are  nicknamed  "Princess  of  Burundi"  because  they  are  found  in  vast  numbers  in  the  lake  in  Burundi  region.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:48 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Spot  on  Sudhir   Thumb Up.  Kaushik,  Burundi  is  a  region  in  lake  tanganyika  where  this  fish  is  found  in  abundance.
 Sudhir,  that  fish  has  come  up  very  well,  looks  like  he  has  been  well  taken  care  of   Cheering.
 I  will  visit  your  home  some  day  to  checkout  my  babies  if  that  is  ok  by  you   Smile
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:06 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Thanks  Sudhir  for  the  information’s.  Actually  a  lot  of  tangs  available  in  Northern  part(Burundi  Republic)  are  adhered  the  common  tags  Burundi.  On  the  other  hand  in  the  Southern  part  or  East  -southern  part  species  are  seldom  added  Zaire  or  Kapampa(Kenya)  which  proves  that  this  are  the  geographical  variations  of  the  same  species.  Actually  the  whole  African  continent  is  so  biologically  diverse  that  ½  of  them  are  still  to  be  explored.  That’s  why  every  year  thousands  of  Westerners  are  diving  in  lake  Tanganyika,  Victoria  and  Malawi  to  explore  new  species  and  naming  them  on  their  surname.
 Regards
 Kaushik
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Very  true.  I  read  somewhere  that  all  the  cichlids  in  the  three  big  lakes  of  Africa  originated  from  a  single  species  probably  millions  of  years  back  and  hence  there  are  similarities  between  certain  species  in  these  lakes.
Kaushik
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:30 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Very  true  you  can  find  a  lot  of  similarity  between  Neolamprogus  tretocephalus  and  Cyphotilapia  Frontosa.  Similarly  Melanochromis  auratus(Malawi)  with  Julidochromis  ornatus(Tanganyika)  having  some  similarity.Only  the  sizes  are  different.
 Regards
 Kaushik
sudFish
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:01 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

cichlids  in  tanganyika  are  more  related  to  other  tang  species  than  to  any  species  in  malawi  or  victoria.
 each  lake's  cichlids  evolved  separately  from  a  common  ancestor.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 3:09 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

Kaushik  wrote  (View  Post):                
Thanks  Sudhir  for  the  information’s.  Actually  a  lot  of  tangs  available  in  Northern  part(Burundi  Republic)  are  adhered  the  common  tags  Burundi.  On  the  other  hand  in  the  Southern  part  or  East  -southern  part  species  are  seldom  added  Zaire  or  Kapampa(Kenya)  which  proves  that  this  are  the  geographical  variations  of  the  same  species.                

Lake  Tanganyika  is  bordered  by  Burundi  in  the  north,  Zaire(DRC)  in  the  west,  Tanzania  in  the  east  and  Zambia  in  the  south.
 It  is  Lake  Victoria  which  has  Kenya  as  a  border.  The  tags  given  are  the  locations  that  they  are  collected  from  in  the  wild.
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 4:23 pm Post subject: Re: My private lake Tanganyika - Burundi Reply with quote

wow  --  the  tank  is  of  lake  tanganyika  on  Planet  Mars   Smile  

btw  --  do  you  have  some  brichardi's  to  spare  --  i'll  like  about  20  of  them...  ?  Please  let  me  know
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Cichlids All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: