169. Guest
170. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,755

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fertilizing the Gravel
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fertilizing the Gravel
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Macro and Micro Fertilisers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:18 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Madan  Sir,

i  tried  this  in  2  different  tanks  ,  1  was  2x1x1  Normal  Substrate  +  Laterite  Tank  ,  and  the  Second  one  was  the  4x2x2  ADA  +  Laterite  Bed  Tank  ,  both  grew  into  a  Forest  !!!  ...  This  Microsol-B  was  bought  when  i  started  the  2ft  tank  2  years  back  ,  where  i  used  around  1/2  pkt  ,  and  second  lot  was  bought  1year  back  when  i  redid  my  4x2x2  Tank.  

You  might  be  right  ,  it  might  be  just  a  Green  Powder  then  ....  !!!!   Crying or Very sad  

Another  thing  i  noticed  in  both  tanks  that  when  ever  i  try  to  dose  Micro  on  to  the  water  column  ,  there  was  Hair  Algea  !!  ,  so  i  never  dosed  it  ,  only  Macro  dosing  is   going  on  both  tanks....

Last edited by vraghu on Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 9:48 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

vraghu  wrote  (View  Post):                
ADA  +  Laterite  Bed  Tank                

+  Microsol-B  Mixed  With  Laterite

Mr.  Amano  will  get  cardio  attack  for  sure  if  he  ever  got  to  know  about  this  cocktail.  

BTW...,  Raghu,  is  this  the  secret  formula  which  you  are  hiding  from  me  for  last  2  years??   Confused
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Have  you  thought  about  loading  activated  carbon  with  micro  nutrients  and  then  using  this  as  the  lowest  layer  of  subsrate?

OK,  now  pardon  me  if  this  is  too  wild  an  idea  but  i  have  been  thinking  about  dosing  humic  acid  to  the  water  column.  Would  this  work  since  this  is  what  cleats  the  elements  in  nature....
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:13 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                
Have  you  thought  about  loading  activated  carbon  with  micro  nutrients  and  then  using  this  as  the  lowest  layer  of  subsrate?                

Sometimes  we  use  Activated  Carbon  in  Filter  to  remove  excess  nutrients.  So  how  come  it  will  help  us  to  retain  the  ferts  under  substrate?
pennyilurm
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:39 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Hello

If  you  can  have  the  powder  form  of  fertilizer  and  if  you  are  sure  of  your  composition,  then  just  fill  medical  capsules  after  emptying  them  and  shove  it  into  the  substrate  wherever  needed.

In  about  15  minutes  the  capsule  will  melt  and  your  fertilizer  will  release.  

You  might  have  to  do  this  regularly.  Planning  to  try  this  next  week.

regards

Niranjan
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

You  use  activated  carbon  to  remove  stuff  as  the  carbon  can  clean  the  water  of  metals  and  other  harmful  impuritues.  If  we  load  the  carbon  with  micro's  then  it  will  not  leach  it  to  the  water  column  but  will  be  available  to  the  roots  to  absorb.  so  this  way  the  micro  nutrients  will  only  be  available  to  the  roots.
tewari_v
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:20 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

you  know  what  .....I  have  been  using  a  lab  brewed  formulation  for  the  last  15  odd  yrs  in  freshwater  tank.....  simply  dissolve  the  stuff  in  water....takes  care  of  fe,  mg,  ca,  zn,  si,  c,  s,  mn,  mo,  .........  the  only  problem  ....  well  in  theory  anyways  ....is....  there  is  SO4  in  the  mix.....but  I  never  had  any  problems......

Another  funny  side-effect......  not  only  the  plants  but  also  the  snails  thrive  !!!

Wonder  why  so?

...costs  a  lot  though..  appx.  400  /  Kg.....

Well  1  Kg  lasts  me  2  yrs...
rupak
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:36 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

found  some  interesting  info  on  mineralized  soil  used  for  aquarium  plants  wonder  if  the  same  can  be  replicated  with  what  is  available  in  india

http://www.aquaticplantcentral.com/forumapc/library/52554-how-mineralized-soil-substrate-aaron-talbot-1.html
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Feb 12, 2009 11:38 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

tewari_v  wrote  (View  Post):                
you  know  what  .....I  have  been  using  a  lab  brewed  formulation  for  the  last  15  odd  yrs  in  freshwater  tank.....  simply  dissolve  the  stuff  in  water....takes  care  of  fe,  mg,  ca,  zn,  si,  c,  s,  mn,  mo,  .........  the  only  problem  ....  well  in  theory  anyways  ....is....  there  is  SO4  in  the  mix.....but  I  never  had  any  problems......

Another  funny  side-effect......  not  only  the  plants  but  also  the  snails  thrive  !!!

Wonder  why  so?

...costs  a  lot  though..  appx.  400  /  Kg.....

Well  1  Kg  lasts  me  2  yrs...                

Can  you  please  share  which  chemicals  you  are  mixing  together  and  how  much  to  make  your  Trace  Mix?
sgravi2k
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:01 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Hi  Vyas,  couple  of  weeks  ago  when  I  went  to  aquastar  I  found  couple  of  products  from  Ocean  Free  named  something  like  substrate  booster  or  so.  I've  used  Plant  Base  from  Ocean  Free  for  my  4ft  instead  of  laterite.  And  I  found  a  similar  kind  of  product  for  enhancing  Plant  Base  on  a  running  tank  which  was  attractive.  But  I  did  not  have  the  idea  of  making  it  so  I  left  digging  about  it.

Probably  when  I  go  next  time,  I  will  get  the  product  booklet  and  share  about  them.  Meantime  if  anyone  happen  to  get  idea  about  it  could  share  here.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
vraghu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 9:27 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Preetham,

If  active  carbon  absorbs  some  of  the  chemicals  or  metals  in  the  Micro  Fert  which  the  plants  might  need  ,  then  what's  the  point  in  doing  a  substrate  enrichment  ?   the  high  growth  plants  will  starve  ,  and  we  all  know  that  activated  carbon  needs  to  be  replaced  after  1  or  2  months  since  it  loses  it  capacity  to  absorb,  then  what  do  we  do  ?  rip  the  tank  again  !!  ??   No Way  

Thirth,

Amano  might  surely  get  a  Heart  Attack  by  this  lol..  but  the  test  was  to  find  cheaper  alternate  solution  for  substrate  enrichment.   ROFL  

Right  now  i  have  given  in  to  the  MT  syndrome..  and  setting  up  6  tanks,  ADA  and  Non-ADA  ,  to  do  more  tests  ,  let's  wait  till  i  get  results  where  i  can  share  the  secret  formula  with  you  all...   Chuckle  

Regds
 Raghu.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 11:45 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Preeths  wrote  (View  Post):                

How  do  you  "load"  activated  carbon  with  micro  nutrients?
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Feb 13, 2009 12:27 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

vyastk  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  was  thinking  of  redoing  my  100G  planted  ...Lazy  that  I  am,  I  wanted  to  minimize  the  impact  of  not  dosing  regularly  or  better  eliminate  daily  dosing  completely...Just  dosing  as  per  symptoms  of  deficiency.

Simple  time  tested  solution  is  to  add  a  1  inch  layer  of  fertile  garden  soil,   that  you  can  take  from  a   1  year  old  garden  pot,  then  cover  it  with  2-3  inches  of  river  sand.   When  you  use  garden  soil  tank  will  take  about  4-5  months  to  stabilize,  do  weekly  50%  water  change  till  the  tank  stabilize.  The  tank  may  go  through  an  algae  phase  about  3-4  weeks  from  setup  then  the  algae  will  go  off  by  it  self  after  few  weeks,  just  keep  doing  the  weekly  water  changes.  Also  the  lighting  period  should  be  limited  to  about  4-5  hours  till  the  plants  start  growing  well,  then  slowly  increase  it.  

One  thing  to  be  careful  when  using  garden  soil  as  bottom  layer  substrate  in  aquarium,  do  not  to  pull  out  and  re-arrange  the  plants  after  you  have  done  the  setup,  most  new  hobbyists  do  this,  then  bottom  layer  soil  will  come  out  and  cause  the  algae  problem  to  persist.   

About  5  months  back  i  have  setup  a  tank  like  this  and  now  the  tank  is  past  the  algae  phase  and  is  stable  now,   i  haven't  done  any  micro  or  macro  nutrient  dosing.  Lighting  is  about  2  watts  per  gallon  and  using  DIY  CO2  which  i  plan  to  discontinue  once  the  plants  grow  to  optimum  density.  You  can  see  it  here  http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/gallery2/v/User_Galleries/maxv/?g2_page=2
Jude
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:11 am Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Gurus,  
 I'm  just  about  to  set  up  my  4x2x2  tank  -  got  it  made  at  home  yesterday  and  am  so  excited  about  the  next  steps.  I  plan  to  have  a  laterite  +  gravel  substrate  -  and  wanted  to  get  the  dosing  nutrients  before  I  setup  the  tank.  I  tried  searching  but  couldn’t  find  pointers  to  source  these  in  Chennai.  Could  you  point  me  to  places  where  I  may  be  able  to  get  this?
 Thanks
 Jude.
mcgokul
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: Fertilizing the Gravel Reply with quote

Activated  carbon  absorbs  chemicals  for  a  month  or  so  and  I  remember  reading  somewhere,  it  leaches  them  back  later.  The  leaching  is  gradual  or  rapid  I'm  not  sure.  Loading  desired  nutrients  to  good  lab  grade  activated  charcoal  shouldn't  be  tough  I  think.  I  think  activated  charcoal/carbon  may  have  uses  in  fertilising   the  substrate.  Some  research  is  in  order.  I  think  Madan  is  up  to  something  in  this  area   Cheer  .
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Macro and Micro Fertilisers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: