122. Guest
123. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,460

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Making your own CO2 .........
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Making your own CO2 .........

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Feb 14, 2009 12:01 pm Post subject: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Dear  All,

Can  ENO  Fruit  Salt  or  Tablet  from  Glaxo  be  used  for  producing  CO2  in  Aquarium  without  harming  the  fish.  How  about  using  Pottasium  Bicarbonate  or  Sodium  Bicarbonate  (Baking  Soda)  to  produce  CO2  in  Aquarium  ?

Kindly  discuss.
 Deba......
natureaquariumlover
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:06 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Deba,

First  of  all  please  pardon  me  if  I  am  sounding  bit  rough.

I  fail  to  understand  at  times  what  is  the  objective  of  our  hobby.  Are  we  trying  to  grow  plants  or  trying  to  create  a  good  aquascape  or  trying  to  become  a  chemist.

DIY  is  good,  DIY  makes  the  hobby  engaging  but  then  DIY  should  have  a  limit  also.  Lets  say  main  ingredient  of  glass  (if  I  recollect  correctly)  is  SiO2  but  then  should  we  start  making  DIY  glasses  before  we  start  our  aquarium?

If  you  want  to  make  DIY  CO2  then  please  follow  the  "Yeast  method".  It's  good,  it's  proven,  it's  affordable  but  Yes  it  has  it's  own  pitfalls  too  (I  had  experienced  a  wall  full  of  yeast  due  to  a  "Thums  Up  Pet  Bottle"  burst  once)

You  need  to  essentially  decide  whether  you  are  going  for  a  CO2  based  or  non  CO2  based  setup.  If  you  wish  to  go  for  a  CO2  enriched  setup  then  IMO  don't  go  for  much  experimentation.

As  always  this  is  my  experience  and  by  no  means  a  criticism  Smile
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:34 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Quote:                
First  of  all  please  pardon  me  if  I  am  sounding  bit  rough.  

I  fail  to  understand  at  times  what  is  the  objective  of  our  hobby.  Are  we  trying  to  grow  plants  or  trying  to  create  a  good  aquascape  or  trying  to  become  a  chemist.  

DIY  is  good,  DIY  makes  the  hobby  engaging  but  then  DIY  should  have  a  limit  also.  Lets  say  main  ingredient  of  glass  (if  I  recollect  correctly)  is  SiO2  but  then  should  we  start  making  DIY  glasses  before  we  start  our  aquarium?  

If  you  want  to  make  DIY  CO2  then  please  follow  the  "Yeast  method".  It's  good,  it's  proven,  it's  affordable  but  Yes  it  has  it's  own  pitfalls  too  (I  had  experienced  a  wall  full  of  yeast  due  to  a  "Thums  Up  Pet  Bottle"  burst  once)  

You  need  to  essentially  decide  whether  you  are  going  for  a  CO2  based  or  non  CO2  based  setup.  If  you  wish  to  go  for  a  CO2  enriched  setup  then  IMO  don't  go  for  much  experimentation.  

As  always  this  is  my  experience  and  by  no  means  a  criticism                  

Your  response  was  uncalled  for.

Best  part  of  this  hobby  is  that,  You  learn  and  apply  chemistry,  physics,  electronics,  mathematics  ......ect.  You  need  to  be  a  carpenter,  a  electrician,  a  Plumber  ..........  ect

DIY  is  what  that  has  got  our  hobby  to  this  level,  Where  is  innovation  and  progress  in  this  hobby  if  you  blindly  follow  what  some  one  else  has  done?  If  every  one  does  this,  we  would  still  be  keeping  fish  in  slate  aquariums.

"I  had  experienced  a  wall  full  of  yeast  due  to  a  "Thums  Up  Pet  Bottle"  burst  once"  
   this  is  where  physics  &  chemistry  comes  in.

"You  need  to  essentially  decide  whether  you  are  going  for  a  CO2  based  or  non  CO2  based  setup.  If  you  wish  to  go  for  a  CO2  enriched  setup  then  IMO  don't  go  for  much  experimentation.  "

Deba  has  not  asked  for  suggestions  whether  or  not  to  go  for  a  co2  setup.

Quote:                
Dear  All,  

Can  ENO  Fruit  Salt  or  Tablet  from  Glaxo  be  used  for  producing  CO2  in  Aquarium  without  harming  the  fish.  How  about  using  Pottasium  Bicarbonate  or  Sodium  Bicarbonate  (Baking  Soda)  to  produce  CO2  in  Aquarium  ?  

Kindly  discuss.  
 Deba......                

I  dont  think  is  would  be  good  to  use  it  "in"  the  aquarium,  Better  in  a  separate  bottle  and  let  only  the  co2  in  your  tank.

sodium  bicarbonate  +  any  mild  acid  ===>  will  give  you  co2   +  Salt  
 Only  problem  is  to  control  the  release  of  co2,  you  can  try  dripping  the  acid  slowly.
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:16 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

rahulk  wrote  (View  Post):                

sodium  bicarbonate  +  any  mild  acid  ===>  will  give  you  co2   +  Salt  
 Only  problem  is  to  control  the  release  of  co2,  you  can  try  dripping  the  acid  slowly.                

You  can  drip  it  as  slowly  as  you  want  to,  if  you  can  time  it  and  meter  the  volume  of  each  drop,
 The  chemcals  don't  know  at  what  rate  you  want  CO2.

The  next  question  here  will  be  where  to  get  a  timer  and  dropper  for  releasing  the  acid.

I  know  I  asked  for  it.  Very Happy
aquadip2000
Moderator - Sponsor's Forum

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:24 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

[quote="Madan";p="130870"]                                                  
rahulk  wrote  (View  Post):                

The  next  question  here  will  be  where  to  get  a  timer  and  dropper  for  releasing  the  acid.

I  know  I  asked  for  it.  Very Happy                

New  innovative  product   for  our  DIY  engineers  ,  Guess  the  same  can  be  used  for  dropping  fertilizers  into  the  tank  based  on  consumption  by  aquatic  plants.  Very Happy
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:27 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Adipa,

Not  PRODUCT  ....  it's  PROJECT.
 Want  to  kill  me  or  what?
rahulk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 9:43 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

I  remember  this  because  i  made  a  6  std  project  of  a  volcano.

Citric  acid  +  baking  soda  +  some  red  food  colour  

When  mixed  together,  this  came  out  of  the  paper  mash  mountain  like  lava.
   ROFL
natureaquariumlover
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 12:36 pm Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

RahulK,

If  you  have  seen  I  responded  starting  with  a  request  for  pardon  as  I  knew  my  comment  may  sound  rough.

You  must  have  also  seen  that  I  have  said  that  DIY  makes  our  hobby  engaging.  So  no  denying  it's  part  and  importance.

Uncharacteristic  of  me,  may  be  I  went  overboard  and  expressed  my  frustration.  I  AM  SORRY  FOR  THAT.

I  have  done  my  bit  of  innovation  and  experimentation  in  my  life.  But  I  have  seen  that  hobbyist  at  times  loose  their  way  and  focus.  My  approach  has  alwyas  been  to  get  the  first  objectives  right  like  first  be  confident  of  growing  the  plants  and  keeping  the  fish  happy  by  following  what  others  have  done  and  then  start  experimenting.  I  just  wanted  to  share  that  view  however  as  I  said  my  representation  was  not  correct.

Lastly  I  will  also  add  my  bit  on  CO2  experimentation.  When  I  started  planted  tank  I  didnot  have  any  access  to  Internet  and  I  was  trying  desparately  to  grow  plants  and  was  failing.  I  kind  of  figured  out  that  I  need  to  provide  CO2  to  my  plants  (my  biolgy  lessons  in  School)  but  I  coulnot  get  hold  of  a  CO2  cylinder,  so  I  tried  pouring  bottled  soda  in  my  tanks.  I  was  thrilled  to  see  some  additional  vigour  in  my  plants  but  unfortunately  some  of  my  fishes  died.

Later  on  I  learnt  about  the  "Yeast"  method  and  followed  it  with  good  success  and  that's  what  I  shared.

Best  of  luck  to  Deba  and  you  with  this  new  project  of  introducing  CO2  in  tanks.  I  will  follow  this  thread  to  see  the  results  and  enrich  my  knowledge.  Smile
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:16 pm Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Use  a  Kipp's  apparatus  with  marble  chunks  (CaCO3)  and  dilute  battery  acid  (H2SO4)  and  take  the  gas  through  a  needle  valve  (necessary  for  regulating  the  gas  flow  rate)  to  a  bubble  counter  (use  baking  soda  solution  in  the  bubble  counter  to  remove  any  acid  vapours)  and  the  pipe  it  to  your  aquarium.  If  production  is  higher  than  the  rate  of  use  then  the  Kipp's  apparatus  will  suspend  the  production,  till  the  excess  gas  produced  is  consumed.
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

You  get  auto-sanitisers  that  dispense  liquid  soap  according  to  the  timing  set  in  the  unit  for  flushing.  U  can  probably  use  them.  These  are  locally  made.  I  think  it  is  marketed  by  NB  marketing,  what  i  read  on  the  label.
saurabh_m
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 16, 2009 7:54 pm Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

essabee  wrote  (View  Post):                
Use  a  Kipp's  apparatus  with  marble  chunks  (CaCO3)  and  dilute  battery  acid  (H2SO4)  and  take  the  gas  through  a  needle  valve  (necessary  for  regulating  the  gas  flow  rate)  to  a  bubble  counter  (use  baking  soda  solution  in  the  bubble  counter  to  remove  any  acid  vapours)  and  the  pipe  it  to  your  aquarium.  If  production  is  higher  than  the  rate  of  use  then  the  Kipp's  apparatus  will  suspend  the  production,  till  the  excess  gas  produced  is  consumed.                

Could  the  same  process  be  done  with  Na2CO3  and  Acitic  Acid?
 CH3COOH  will  be  less  acidic  than  H2SO4  and  save  the  aquarist  from  rashes.  Chuckle
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:19 pm Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

Sodium  bicarbonate  mixed  with  Acitic  Acid  ,  as  suggested  by  Saurabh  is  good  idea,  but  how  do  we  separate  the  salt  ?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:53 am Post subject: Re: Making your own CO2 ......... Reply with quote

A  stable  co2  level  is  best  for  plants,  whether  it  is  low  co2  level  or  high  co2  level.
 Plants  need  to  expend  energy  in  trying  to  comvert  from  high  co2  to  low  co2  and  vice  versa.
 If  the  co2  level  is  flucuating  plants  keep  on  changing  and  lose  growth.
 The  problem  with  most  of  co2  generators  is  that  you  cannot  control  the  rate  of  reaction  without  risking  explosion.  Very Happy  
 Co2  generted  and  stored  is  better,  which  is  what  we  get  in  pressuried  set  ups.
 Over  the  years  I  have  tried  many  attempts  with  diy  co2,  in  the  first  few  months  are  results  are  very  good,  but  over  a  period  it  becomes  very  diffficult  in  trying  to  stablise  co2  output.  then  I  get  back  to  square  one.
 It  is  not  that  it  cannot  be  done,  but  is  just  tedious.  Very Happy
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  CO2 Equipment for Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: