156. Guest
157. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,735

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Discuss Discus
View previous topic :: View next topic  
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:56 pm Post subject: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

hi..
 My  name  is  pratik,  im  a  discus  hobbyist  from  mumbai..
 My  discus  suddenly  became  dark  and  are  huddled  in  a  corner  in  my  tank..m  not  yet  100%  sure  whether  its  discus  plague  only,  but  the  symptoms  match..I  added  a  fresh  batch  of  red  melons  a  few  days  before  this  happened..But  they  dont  seem  infected..
 The  water  also  has  a  foul  smell  coming  out  of  it,  even  30  mins  after  i  siphoned  the  full  tank..I  had  read  about  the  shedding  of  slime  coat  also  being  a  symptom,  but  i  really  dont  know  how  that  looks  so  dont  know  whether  that  is  also  taking  place..
 I  have  added  rock  salt,  oxytetracycline  and  i  siphon  around  80%  water  everyday..
 It  has  only  been  2  days  but  im  really  tensed..is  the  treatment  using  potassium  permangnate  really  necessary,  cos  ive  heard  it  can  kill  the  fish  if  proper  care  is  not  taken..
 Any  help  will  be  greatly  appreciated..thanks..

P.S  :  I'm  relatively  new  to  the  forum,  so  could  not  check  all  the  posts  to  see  whether  any  of  them  match  my  requirements..sorry  if  this  is  a  repost..But  i'm  just  really  desperate  for  some  proffessional  help..
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 12:28 am Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

Quote:                
My  name  is  pratik,  im  a  discus  hobbyist  from  mumbai..                

We  need  complete  details  of  your  tank  and  discus  .  size  of  tank  ,  planted  or  BB  tank  ,  nos  of  discus  ,  size  of  discus  ,   which  strain   of  discus  ,  feeding  ,  Ph  and  since  how  long  your  discus  having  this  problem  .  pl  revert   urgently  .   

Quote:                
My  discus  suddenly  became  dark  and  are  huddled  in  a  corner  in  my  tank..m  not  yet  100%  sure  whether  its  discus  plague  only,  but  the  symptoms  match..I  added  a  fresh  batch  of  red  melons  a  few  days  before  this  happened..But  they  dont  seem  infected..                

I  think,  you  had  brought  new  discus  which  may  be  infected  and  you  had  taken  the  short  cut  without  doing  proper  quarantine  you  mixed  those  discus  in  your  existing  tank  .Whenever  you   introduce  any  infected  fish  in  to  your  existing  tank  without  proper  quarantine  ,  your  new  fishes  or  the  existing  old  fishes  in  the  tank  bound  to  have  problem  .  check  out  what  was  previous  owner  of  these  fishes   feeding  lthem  .
 Don't  panic  ,  We  all  are  here  to  help  you   ,  but  you  need  to  give  us   above  required  details  .Size  of  discus  &   Ph  is  very  important  .  till  now  what  all  med  you  have  applied  in  this  tank  ?  If  possible  pl  post  the  pics  of  these  discus  .  Is  there  any  mortality  ?
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:06 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

my  tank  size  is  :  24  X  18  X  15
 i  have  6  discus..
 Red  pigeon  :  4"
 Red  pigeon  :  3"
 Blue  turquoise  :  3"
 Blue  turquoise  :  2"
 Cobalt  blue  :  2.5"
 Blue  diamond  :  2.5"
 and  6  red  melon  all  3"(new  batch)

Bare-bottom  tank  with  one  sponge  filter  and  a  heater..I  feed  them  thrice  a  day..twice  with  BH  and  once  with  tetrabit..Siphon  80%  water  everyday..its  been  2  days  since  they  have  been  infected..

the  previous  owner  of  the  new  batch  used  to  feed  them  only  chicken..and  he  had  around  16  discus  in  the  tank  and  all  of  them  were  healthy..very  active  and  came  to  greet  me  as  soon  as  i  went  to  take  a  look..newayz  the  new  batch  has  not  been  infected..they  are  pretty  much  normal..

I  have  shifted  the  infected  discus  to  another  tank  :  24  X  15  X  15  with  just  a  air-stone..my  heater  stopped  working  yesterday  wen  i  tested  it..I  have  been  changing  around  50%  water  everyday  and  putting  rock  salt  and  oxytetracycline  with  every  water  change..

i  woke  up  today  morning  to  notice  that  the  smell  had  almost  gone..they  were  moving  around  a  bit,  but  huddled  up  when  they  saw  me..the  blue  based  discus  are  still  dark  though..the  red  pigeon  however  are  doing  better  :-)  ...

please  let  me  know  that  should  i  do  next..
Nanu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

only  chicken

Are  you  sure  the  previous  owner  fed  them  chicken??  PLease  ask  him  agian  and  confirm,  
 and  let  us  know  how  he  fed  it  to  them,  as  in  a  mix  or  boiled  or  what.  As  far  as  I  know  chicken  is  not
 good  for  discus  at  all.
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:23 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

ya  even  i  was  shocked..he  used  to  mince  and  feed  them..he  is  a  punjabi  so  he  said  he  could  not  feed  anything  else..
 The  batch  i  brought  was  fairly  new..he  got  it  from  a  breeder  who  fed  BH..so  i  hoped  he  hasnt  fed  them  a  lot  of  chicken  when  he  shifted  them!!
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

Quote:                
i   woke   up   today   morning   to   notice   that   the   smell   had   almost   gone..they   were   moving   around   a   bit,   but   huddled   up   when   they   saw   me..the   blue   based   discus   are   still   dark   though..the   red   pigeon   however   are   doing   better   :-)                

Good  to  know  that  your  discus  are  improving  ,  don't  put  heater  ,  just  do  100%  WC  daily  and  put  a  half  hand  full  of  salt  in  water  after  every  WC  .  stop  feeding  till  they  recover  fully  

Kindly  observe  them  carefully  ,  good  that  the  water  is  not  smelling  .  

If  you  observe  the  below  symptons  ,  
 Discus  turning  black  ,  gathered  in  group  at  the  bottom  or  on  the  surface  ,  slim  coat  has  increased  ,  one  particular  smell  in  water  .   

Then  you  need  to  carry  PP  treatment  ,  as  below  ,

1)  First  ensure  that  the  PH  of  the  water  is  below  8  .
 2)  Ensure  that  you  have  not  applied  Formalin  or  formalin  based  med  earlier  .
 3)  Do  50  %  WC  and  Adjust  the  water  level  to  100  ltrs  .
 4)  Try  using  stored  water  so  that  you  don't  need  to  add  Sodium  Thiosulphate  (  Hypo  )  other  wise  any  excess  of  left  over  Hypo  will  react  with  PP  .  treatment  will  fail  .
 5)  Dose  PP  @  200  mg  for  100  ltrs  &  a  hand  full  of  salt  .
 6)  After  24  hrs  do  100  %  WC  with  aged  water  .
 7)  Repeat  the  above  treatment  for  3  days  in  a  Row  .  
 Cool  During  the  treatment  ensure  that  extra  air  stone  is  put  for  sufficient  aretion  .
 9)  During  the  treatment  if  you  need  any  help  ,   you  can  call  me  .   

If  the  discus  don't  recover  by  above  treatment  then  we  need  to  move  them  on  Antibiotics  .

Thanks  

Thanks  
 Shiva  Nair
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:21 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

wow  !!
 that  the  most  accurate  description  ever  !!  i  just  wanted  to  ask  u  a  few  more  things..

1.i  have  put  the  discus  in  a  24  X  12  X  12  tank  (sry  bout  the  mistake  b4)  ..  its  capacity  is  around  52  litres..so  should  i  put  around  100gm  of  PP  ??
 2.what  do  u  all  usually  use  for  testing  the  PH??is  there  any  kind  of  device  available??or  just  litmus   strips??
 3.should  i  keep  the  fish  in  the  PP  water,  or  simply  dip  them?
 4.I  just  told  u  about  the  condition  of  the  fish  right  now..should  i  proceed  with  the  PP  treatment  or  should  i  continue  with  the  WC,  rock  salt  and  the  oxytetracycline?

P.S  :  thanks  a  lot  for  all  the  help  and  support  guys..  !!!
niroo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:04 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

@  SHIVA  

Dont  u  think  that  12  Discus  in  a  2ftr  is  little  overstocking..?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:26 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

agreed..
 actually  i  was  gonna  shift  them  2  days  after  i  got  them..just  wanted  to  get  the  other  tank  ready..
Discusolic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

Quote:                
i   have   put   the   discus   in   a   24   X   12   X   12   tank   (sry   bout   the   mistake   b4)   ..   its   capacity   is   around   52   litres..so   should   i   put   around   100gm   of   PP   ??                  

NO  ,  if  its  50  ltrs  then  you  have  to  put  100  mg  (  MILIGRAM  )  ,
 pratik  the  dosage  is  not  in  grams  it  is  in  miligram  .  1000  mgs  =  1  gm  ,  so  understand  the  dosage  first  .  you  need  to  measure  such  a  small   qty  at  jewellers  shops  or  electronic  weigh  machine  .  pl  contact  me  urgently  before  moving  forward  with  the  PP  treatment  .

Quote:                
what  do  u  all  usually  use  for  testing  the  PH??is  there  any  kind  of  device  available??or  just  litmus   strips??                

For  accuracy  electronic  Ph  meter  is  best  ,  a  pen  type  one  .

Quote:                
should  i  keep  the  fish  in  the  PP  water,  or  simply  dip  them?                

You  need  to  treat  the  tank  with  PP  and  not  dip  bath  .

Quote:                
I  just  told  u  about  the  condition  of  the  fish  right  now..should  i  proceed  with  the  PP  treatment  or  should  i  continue  with  the  WC,  rock  salt  and  the  oxytetracycline?                

Since  the  fish  is  recovering  ,  it  is  better  to  continue  with  big  WC  &  Salt  .  

Don't  proceed  with  PP  treatment  ,  because  you  have  not  understood  the  PP  well  .  Keep  us  posted  about  your  discus  .
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:15 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

oh  sry..yes  yes  i  meant  100mg..it  was  just  a  stupid  typing  error..
 newayz  i  will  keep  u  updated  about  the  condition  of  my  discus..i  just  checked,  and  yes  the  smell  has  drastically  reduced..i  will  make  another  WC  soon  and  let  u  know  bout  it  2mrw..thanks  guys..
uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

Please  refrain  from  using  sms  language  in  the  forum  please........................
uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:26 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

Smile

Last edited by uv_umesh on Wed Mar 11, 2009 9:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 11, 2009 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

oh..I'm  soo  sorry..i'm  kind  of  used  to  it..will  not  happen  again..sincere  apologies   Sad
d_pratik22
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2009 5:26 pm Post subject: Re: DISCUS PLAGUE..PLEASE HELP..REALLY URGENT !! Reply with quote

hi  all..

I'm  really  confused..dont  know  what  is  wrong..

however  the  good  news  is  that  i  got  up  today  morning  to  a  great  surprise..they  were  all  lined  up  against  the  glass  like  an  army  !!  but  they  are  still  not  totally  fine..

i  forgot  to  mention  last  time..my  discus  are  really  very  shy..itsw  been  about  2  months  since  i  got  them,  they  eat,  run  and  what  not..but  as  soon  as  i  get  up  from  my  sofa,  they  scatter..they  dont  greet  or  come  up  when  i  open  the  lid..they're  always  very  scared..which  is  why  i  decided  to  buy  some  more  fishes  to  help  them  feel  a  little  comfortable..

anyway  the  main  intention  behind  telling  you  this  was  that  how  do  i  come  to  know  if  my  fish  have  recovered??

The  colour  has  still  not  come  yet  though..

By  the  way..one  more  question..this  means  that  the  red  melon's  i  got  are  the  carriers  right?  ..  so  how  do  i  disinfect  them??because  the  old  ones  are  in  a  different  tank  right  now..

and  should  i  put  the  old  ones  back  in  the  tank  now??

Last edited by d_pratik22 on Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:34 pm; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Discuss Discus All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: