217. Guest
218. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,810

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - WPG :: Which one to consider ?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

WPG :: Which one to consider ?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 3:45 pm Post subject: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Hello.

Since  last  year,  i  am  running  a  planted  tank.  let's  forget  it's  size  ,  flora  and  fauna.  

I  have  been  reading  a  lot  about  the  WPG  (Watts  Per  Gallon)  rule  of  thumb  to  be  used  for  lighting.

What  i  notice  is  that,  this  rule  is  stated  in  many  old  sites,  really  old  ones,  which  discus  mainly  about  incandescent  bulbs.  Mayby  PL  and  CFL  or  tubes  were  not  easily  available  in  '97  -  '98..

since  this  rule  is  there  for  quite  a  lot  of  time,  let  us  assume  that  it  was  made  at  a  time  when  only  incandescent  bulbs  were  commercially  available.

But,  today  these  bulbs  are  rather  'obsolete'  and  it's  the  age  of  PL  lamps  (  even  tubes  are  slowly  going  away).

We  all  know  PL  lamps  are  really  energy  efficient  and  the  produce  a  lot  of  Lumen  per  Watt,  than  that  of  a  standard  incandescent  bulb.

Now  we  come  to  a  basic  mathematical  part,

On  the  box  of  a  23  W  Philips  Tornado  PL  lamp,  you  will  find  it  is  written  :

One   23  Watt  Philips  Tornado  PL  lamp  =  140  watt  incandescent  bulbs  (dont  remember,,  there  might  be  written  that  One   23  Watt  Philips  Tornado  PL  lamp  =   4   X   140  watt  incandescent  bulbs   )

Lets  consider  case  (1)  where  =   One   23  Watt  Philips  Tornado  PL  lamp  =  140  watt  incandescent  bulbs  

Therefore,  23  Watt  Tornado  =  140  watt  incan.
                                          or,   115  Watt  Tornado  (consider  5  tornado  lamps  )  =  700  Watt  incan.   !!!

So,  are  we  wasting  money  ?  Do  we  really  require  so  much  lights  ?  I  think,  if  we  use  PL  lamps,  we  should  calculate  our  tank's  WPG  based  on  it's  140  Watt  incandescent  equivalent  output  capacity.

Which  one  to  consider  then  ?  the  consumption  ?  or  the  output  ?

Maybe,  Philips  has  exaggerated  the  140  W  thing,  maybe  it's  80  W,  still  a  lot  more  than  what  we  think..

Expert's  inputs  please  ..
joyban

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

The  Watts  here  refer  to  the  electricity  consumption  to  Light  effficiency.  The  amount  of  Light  generated  from  a  PLL  or  a  CFL  is  far  more  higher  than  the  amount  of  Light  Generated  by  an  Incandescent  Lamp.

Incendescent  Lamp  wasting  most  of  the  power  they  consume  as  heat  and  very  little  is  converted  as  Light.The  job  of  a  lamp  is  to  convert  electrical  power  (Watts)  into  light  (lumens).  Different  lamps  do  this  with  varying  efficiencies.

The  Least  Efficient  is  the  Incandescent  Lamp

Incancescent  Lamp   10%  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  1000  hrs   
 Low  Voltage  Halogen  20%  Efficiency  Avergae  Life  2000  to  5000  hrs  
 Mercury  Vapour  40%  to  60%  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  22000  hrs
 Fluorescent  64%  t0  90%  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  7000  +hrs  
 Metal  Halide  70  to  90  %  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  12000  +hrs  
 High  Pressure  Sodium  90  %  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  to  125  25000  hrs  
 Low  Pressure  Sodium  120  to  200  %  Efficiency   Avergae  Life  20000  hrs

So  you  can  see  that  incendescent  lamp  is  most  inefficient.

Also  the  watts  per  gallon  rule  is  not  at  all  correct.  The  amount  of  Light  required  by  different  plants  are  very  different,plus  plants  undergo  and  can  adpt.  to  different  amount  of  light  available  to  them.  Also  the  amount  of  Light  from  a  light  source  undergoes  a  lot  of  transformation  while  it  passes  from  a  light  source  in  air  to  reach  to  the  bottom  layer  while  passing  through  water  column.

Hope  this  helps...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Exactly  what  I  was  thinking..

But,  why  the  hell  do  we  use  WPG  then  ??  It  is  not  even  a  correct  estimation..  

Joyban,  your  answer  was  informative,  but  I  will  be  expecting  someone  to  shed  some  more  light  on  this..
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:10 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Hi,

you  may  wanna  check  out  this  link  below.....  it  had  been  posted  in  one  of  the  IAH  threads  before.....unfortunately  i  cant  trace  the  thread  or  person  posting  it...so  disclaimer  is  that  its  not  my  find  or  advice....all  credit  goes  to  the  unknown  IAH  poster

The  link  below  is  quite  informative  and  goes  into  the  fundamentals  of  lighting....WPG  is  not  the  sole  or  most  reliable  criteria......  Smile  

http://www.americanaquariumproducts.com/Aquarium_Lighting.html

Please  read  patiently  right  upto  the  end.

cheers  and  happy  lighting  Thumbs Up
the_kamath
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 5:14 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

the  link  posted  by  me  will  not  give  you  a  direct  answer  to  your  question.......Alas  all  things  in  planted  tanks  are  a  combination  of  factors   such  as  CO2,  Lights  &  nutrients....and  there  are  no  simple  answers  to  simple  questions.....so  all  the  luck  in  achieving  the  "balance"   Thumb Up
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:18 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Hi  Kamath.

Though  i  am  not  a  regular  poster  at  IAH,  i  am  a  regular  and  avid  reader,  and  i  follow  most  of  the  posts  closely.

You  are  correct  about  achieving  balance,  but  i  think  i  have  the  necessary  elements  and  co2  ,  which  are  also  required  for  a  p.  tank.

My  question  was  in  general,  not  regarding  any  problem  I  have  been  facing..  in  fact  ,  i  myself  follow  the  power  consumption  rule,  cause  i  really  dont  always  trust  my  own  experiments  LOL  

I  have  read  the  link  you  mentioned  previously,  and  it  does  not  really  clear  up  my  doubt..  more  expert's  opinion,  please.
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

neel12345  wrote  (View  Post):                
Since  last  year,  i  am  running  a  planted  tank.  let's  forget  it's  size  ,  flora  and  fauna.  

You  are  missing  out  the  most  important  part  of  the  discussion  then.

But,  why  the  hell  do  we  use  WPG  then  ??  It  is  not  even  a  correct  estimation..  

WPG  is  old  concept  but  it  is  effective  and  applicable  to  every  planted  tanks.  But  we  have  to  use  it  correctly.  WPG  rule  will  be  different  based  on  your  tank  size.

Somewhere  in  Internet,  I  found  an  article  where  the  author  came  up  with  an  analysis.  All  the  data  were  derived  from  different  creation  of  Mr.  Amano.  That  analysis  shows,

2.5WPG  is  too  much  for  an  100G  or  Above  size  tank.  Where  as  the  same  WPG  is  considered  very  poor  in  a  10-20G  tank.  The  less  the  tank  size  the  more  the  watt  you  need.
joyban

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:31 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Parameters  of  Light  have  mostly  been  explained  in  reference  to  the  human  eye,  so  most  of  the  units  refer  to  the  photometric  units  of  light  like  Lumens  etc.  

Where  as  Light  also  has  physical  parameters   (Radiometric  Units  )  which  are  mostly  used  for  calculation  of  Photosynthesis  reference  to  Plants  (  This  we  will  discuss  in  a  separate  thread...)  but  assuming  a  quantity  of  light  is  emitted  from  a  lamp  source  as  it  passes  through  Air  and  then  into  Air  Water  Interface  and  then  into  the  water  column  itself  it  undergoes  lot  of  physical  changes  and  the  quantity  of  Light  keeps  on  decreasing.  So  Ultimately  the  light  that  falls  on  the  plant  leaves  resulting  in  photosynthesis  is  much  less  that  started  from  the  lamp  itself....

Here  is  something  that  I  had  posted  some  time  ago  at  :-

http://www.barrreport.com/articles/4265-light-intensity-aquarium-5.html#post25307

This  thread  also  has  interesting  data  on  Reflectors  etc...

Also  it  is  possible  to  theoretically  calculate  the  PAR  value  of  Lamps  which  we  will  take  upon  another  thread....  

Regards

Sujoy
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:20 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Thanks  Tirthankar  and  Joyban  (  hope  u  dont  mind  calling  you  by  your  name)

But  Tirtha  da,  does  that  mean  2  WPG  is  just  adequate  in  my  112  gal  tank  ?  Would  love  to  see  the  link,  if  you  can  find  it  again,  please  give  it  to  me  so  that  I  may  read  up...  sounds  interesting  !
neel12345
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:28 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

In  case  you  are  referring  to  this   http://www.plantedtank.net/forums/lighting/76119-why-small-tanks-need-more-watts.html

then  mind  you  that  it's  only  for  tubes  that  extend  beyond  the  tank,  not  for  CFL  or  tubes  smaller  than  the  tank..
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 10:49 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

But  Tirtha  da,  does  that  mean  2  WPG  is  just  adequate  in  my  112  gal  tank  ?  Would  love  to  see  the  link,  if  you  can  find  it  again,  please  give  it  to  me  so  that  I  may  read  up...  sounds  interesting  !                

If  you  are  going  by  Mr.  Amanos  Calculation  then  you  need  only  198Watt  T5HO  Lighting.   Very Happy  

You  made  me  dig  the  dirt....  and  I  found  it.

Lighting  In  Amano's  Tank

Another  very  good  article  on  WPG  rule,

Myths  and  Reality  Of  WPG
Seetharam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:31 am Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Very  Interesting  Links  Tirtha  ...  Thanks  for  digging  them  up   Thumb Up
joyban

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:28 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Actually  if  you  really  see  ...

1.  Watts  denotes  the  total  Energy  Consumption  of  the  Lamp.  It  Does  not  tell  you  how  much  Light  is  
       available  or  being  produced.

2.  Lumen  tells  you  the  amount  of  light  that  is  being  converted  from  Electrical  Energy  to  Light  as  
       perceived  by  human  eye.  It  is  not  equivalent  to  the  Total  Light  Emitted  (Radiant  Flux,  a  radio  
       metric  unit  which  also  has  a  unit  of  Watts)  by  a  Lamp  or  Light  Source.

3.  Photosynthesis  depends  on  the  amount  of  light  energy  that  the  leaves  receives  after  traversing  
       from  a  light  source  to  the  leaf  surface.  

From  a  standard  lamp  specification  we  generally  get  the  following  details  :-

a.  The  Total  Energy  Consumption  =  Watts.  
 b.  Total  Lumen  Output  =  Luminous  Flux.  
 c.  Luminous  efficacy  =  lumen  per  watt  lm/W  ratio  of  luminous  flux  to  radiant  flux.  

Note1  :-  (Luminous  efficacy  as  most  commonly  used,  it  is  the  ratio  of  luminous  flux  emitted  from  a  light  source  to  the  electric  power  consumed  by  the  source,  and  thus  describes  how  well  the  source  provides  visible  light  from  a  given  amount  of  electricity.  This  is  also  referred  to  as  luminous  efficacy  of  a  source.)

Note2  :-  (The  lumen  symbol:  lm  is  the  SI  unit  of  luminous  flux,  a  measure  of  the  perceived  power  of  light,  in  that  luminous  flux  is  adjusted  to  reflect  the  varying  sensitivity  of  the  human  eye  to  different  wavelengths  of  light.  )

Note3  :-  When  a  Lamp  Produces  683  lm  consuming  1  watt  of  Electrical  Energy  it  corresponds  to  an  Lamp  efficiency  of  100%  

So  from  this  we  know  that  a  Lamp  Source  of  a  particular  type  will  emit  light  after  converting  the  electrical  energy  into  Light  and  Heat.  The  amount  of  Light  generated  depends  on  the  type  of  lamp  and  its  Efficacy  (  Efficiency  of  a  Lamp  to  Convert  Electric  Energy  into  Light  energy)

4.  Now  if  you  see  :-

A  Standard  Incandescent  Lamp  of  100  Watts  has  a  Lumen  Rating  of  1380  Lumen

So  it  takes  100  Watts  of  Electrical  energy  to  Produce  1380  Lumen.
 Luminous  Efficacy  =  1380/100  =  13.8

A  standard  Fluorescent  Lamp  of   18  Watts  Standard  Output   (TL-D  90  DE  LUXE  18W  /965)  will  produce  870  Lumens
 So  Luminous  Efficacy  =  870/18  =  48.33

A  standard  Fluorescent  Lamp  of   24  Watts  High  Output   (Fluorescent  MASTER  TL5  HO  24W/865)  will  produce  1650  Lumens
 So  Luminous  Efficacy  =  1650/24  =  68.75

Similarly  a  Quartz  Metal  Halide  will  produce  (Halogen  Quartz  Discharge  MHN-TD  150W  /  842  RX7S  )  12900  at  150  Watts
 So  Luminous  Efficacy  =  12900/150  =  86.00

A  Ceramic  Metal  Halide  will  produce  (Halogen  Ceramic  Discharge  CDM-TD  150W  /  842  RX7S  )  
 14200  at  150  Watts
 So  Luminous  Efficacy  =  14200/150  =  94.67

Lamp  Type                                                                                         Watts           Lumens         Efficacy  

Incandescent  Lamp                                                                              100            1380                 13.80  
   Fluorescent  TL-D  90  DE  LUXE  18W  965                                          18               870                 48.33  
   Fluorescent  MASTER  TL5  HO  24W/865                                            24            1650                 68.75  
   Fluorescent  TL5  HE  SUPER  80  28W/865                                         28            2400                 85.71  
   Fluorescent  MASTER  TL5  HO  SUPER  80  49W/830                     49            4900              100.00  
   MetalH  Quartz  Discharge  MHN-TD  150W  /  842  RX7S           150           12900               86.00  
   MetalH  Ceramic  Discharge  CDM-TD  150W  /  842  RX7S        150         14200               94.67  

So  you  can  see  that  different  Lamps  have  different  Efficacy  even  though  they  may  use  the  same  Electrical  Load,  for  example  the  Metal  Halide  both  of  150  Watts  produces  12900  and  14200  Lumens  ,so  both  having  the  same  electrical  load  will  produce  different  Lights  depending  on  the  total  Lumens  produced.  

Now  again  to  illustrate  let  us  say  we  have  a  20  Gallon  Aquarium  and  we  say  we  want  3Watts  per  Gallon  Lighting.  So  in  that  case  we  need  :-

For  Fluorescent  Lamp  of  24  Watts  (Fluorescent  MASTER  TL5  HO  24W/865)  we  will  need  approximate  (20  x  3  =  60  Watts  /  24  Watts  )  =  2.5  No  or   3  Lamps.  Now  the  amount  of  Light  Produced  by  these  three  Lamps  =  3  X  1650  Lumens  =  4950  Lumens

Now  if  we  were  to  use  say  Fluorescent  Lamp  Of  18  watts  (Fluorescent  TL-D  90  DE  LUXE  18W  965  )  we  will  need  =  20  x  3  =  60  Watts  /  18  Watts  =  3.3  or  4  Lamps,  and  these  four  Lamps  will  produce  4  X  870  Lumens  =  3480  Lumens

So  if  we  go  by  watts  per  gallon  Rule  the  amount  of  Light  (Lumen)  Produced  by  using  4  No  of  18  Watts  =  (72Watts  over  a  20  Gallon  Aquarium  )  Fluorescent  Lamp  is  less  than  by  Using  3  nos  of  24  Watts  fluorescent  Lamps  (  Which  is  incedently  also  72  Watts  over  a  20  Gallon  Tank)  and  remember  this  Lumen  is  just  the  measure  of  brightness  of  Light  but  can  be  compared  also  to  the  Light  Emitted  which  will  be  used  in  the  process  of  Photosynthesis.

So  Mathematically  both  72  Watts  of  Light  Produce  different  Lights  or  different  Intensity  of  Light  consuming  the  same  electrical  energy,  hence  if  we  went  by  the  watts  per  gallon  rule  then  both  lights  should  have  been  equal  but  clearly  it  can  be  seen  that  even  though  the  watts  per  gallon  is  same  the  Light  produced  by  the  lamps  are  different.

Also  one  has  to  remember  that  it  is  equally  important  to  know  what  is  the  Spectra  of  the  Lamp  as  Photosynthesis  occurs  more  at  a  particular  wavelength  of  Light  and  less  at  some  points..
 See  the  Graph  Below:-

Source  :-  http://www.agen.ufl.edu

Actually,  chlorophyll  a  has  two  peaks  of  best  efficiency,  one  in  the  blue  part  of  the  spectrum  (around  430  nm)  and  one  in  the  red  part  of  the  spectrum  (680  nm);  however,  there  are  "associated  pigments"  which  take  advantage  of  almost  every  part  of  the  visible  spectrum,  and  most  of  the  energy  absorbed  is  passed  along  a  line  of  receptors  (losing  bits  along  the  way,  of  course)  until  the  energy  is  equivalent  to  that  absorbed  at  700  nm.  Photosynthesis  is  *least*  effective  in  the  green-yellow  part  of  the  spectrum,  around  520-550  nm.  

Keeping  this  in  mind  you  may  see  that  you  will  need  a  good  balance  of  Blue  and  Red  Light  and  is  least  in  around  the  green  part  (  Green  Light  is  reflected  by  green  Plants)...Also  on  has  to  remember  that  the  Lamps  as  they  are  made  more  for  Human  Perception  Of  Eye  where  they  generally  peak  at  550nm  as  at  550nm  the  lamp  efficiency  is  100%  (remembers  at  550nm  1  watt  of  light  produces  683  lumens)

Photopic  luminous  efficacy  of  radiation  has  a  maximum  possible  value  of  683  lm/W,  for  the  case  of  monochromatic  light  at  a  wavelength  of  555  nm  (green).  

Source:-   Wikipedia

Again  Blue  Light  has  more  penetration  power  than  Red  so  Red  Light  Loss  is  higher  as  it  passes  through  the  water  depth,  so  to  get  a  good  balance  of  Red  and  Blue  Light  you  may  need  to  start  with  a  Light  Spectrum  where  you  have  lot  of  Blue  and  Equal  amount  of  Red  rather  than  more  Blue  Light  as  Red  light  looses  its  intensity  as  it  travels  downwards  into  the  water  column  than  the  blue  light  and  Red  light  is  also  required  by  the  plants..

Ultimately  the  plants  will  adapt  to  the  quantity  of  light  available  to  them  across  the  spectrum,  provided  all  other  factors  of  plant  growth  is  constant.  (Photoadaptation)  

There  are  other  factors  and  terms  as  PAR  (Photosynthetic  Available  Radiation),Action  Spectrum,  Absorption  Spectrum,  Photosynthetic  Usable  Radiation  (PUR),Quantum  Yield  of  Photosynthesis  etc  will  also  have  to  be  explained  on  an  other  thread.

Hope  this  helps  to  clarify  the  watts  per  gallon  theory  and  why  it  has  many  flaws...

Regards

Sujoy

Last edited by joyban on Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:39 pm; edited 1 time in total
Seetharam

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:36 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Excellent  write  Up  Sujoy   Thumb Up  ,  hats  off  to  your  patience
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2009 1:50 pm Post subject: Re: WPG :: Which one to consider ? Reply with quote

Hats  off  to  you  Neel.  You  made  him  do  it.  For  last  2  years  I  kept  telling  Sujoy  to  post  these  details  and  now  finally  he  did  it.   Clapping  

This  thread  gonna  be  my  Handbook  for  future  references.   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: