228. Guest
229. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,838

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Journey to the Planted World(Update on 16.08.2009)
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Journey to the Planted World(Update on 16.08.2009)
Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:11 pm Post subject: Journey to the Planted World(Update on 16.08.2009) Reply with quote

Hi...folks......There  has  been  a  remarkable  change  in  my  plans  and  programs....After  having  a  long  conversation  with  Tirthankarda  and  attending  my  first  ever  IAH  meeting  at  Chennai....I  have  finally  decided  to  go  for  a  planted  tank....no  more  Flowerhorns  and  arowanas....Like  most  of  you  even  I  am  now  bitten  by  the  planted  bug.....so  here  goes  my  journal's  first  entry.....

Tank  size:-A  low  tech  low  light  tank  with  dimensions  36"x18"x18"(50gals  approx).Actually  Prasoonda  has  really  helped  me  a  lot.His  contact  of  the  tank  maker  has  proved  quite  a  money  savin  for  me....Hope  to  get  the  tank  by  this  Saturday.....Ah...Its  coming  with  a  four  legged  wooden  stand  made  by  the  very  same  guy....

Lights:-Since  I  could  save  a  few  bucks  on  my  tank...I  was  thinking  of  going  for  T5  HOs....but  don't  know  where  can  I  get  the  same  in  Chennai....
 But  as  of  now  I  am  starting  with  a  low  tech  setup  my  second  option  is  PLLs.
 But  within  a  few  months  I  will  start  to  move  towrda  high  light  tank  with  pressurized  CO2.So  that's  why  I  want  to  stress  on  getting  T5  HOs.
 Lighting  will  be  around  2  WPG  as  of  now.

Substrate:-As  for  substrate  thought  of  going  for  laterite  +  soilrite  inthe  mixture  of  60:40  topped  with  4-5  mm  of  riversand.Thought  of  sticking  to  age  old  technique.Soilrite,as  far  I  have  read  contains  Vermiculite  and  has  a  high  ECE  value.

CO2  Injection:-Since  its  a  low  tech  setup....plan  to  go  for  DIY  CO2  ....will  get  pressurized  ones  once  refill  my  pocket....Diffusion  will  be  through  power  filter.

Filter:-It  willl  be  a  powerfilter...will  go  for  an  Aquael  mini  cannister  once  again  after  refilling  my  pocket....

Cooling  Fans:-Inorder  to  beat  the  summer  heat  in  Chennai...I  plan  to  go  for  two  3"  AC  fans....But  I  need  suggestion  on  the  way  I  should  fix  the  fans.....

PlantList:-It  will  be  a  rocky  setup  with  3  to  4  rocks  of  same  type  but  different  sizes  placed  according  to  the  Golden  Ratio.
 As  for  plants  thought  of  the  following:-
 1>Marselea  Hirsute  in  the  foreground  with  a  riccis  covering  of  one  or  two  rocks....
 2>Annubias,javafern,Cryptocorine  Wenditti(Green)  along  with  E.Vivipara  inthe  background......

Please  do  give  your  valuable  suggestions  and  criticisms  on  mu  plan  so  that  I  can  make  the  most  out  of  it  and  accomplish  my  desired  aims.....

Last edited by maximus on Sun Aug 16, 2009 10:53 pm; edited 12 times in total
Seetharam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:30 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Hi  Abhishek

Welcome  to  the  worl  of  planted  aquariums  .....  you  have  your  basics  on  planted  tanks  pretty  well  thought  off  ...  dont  see  any  issues  there.  Some  suggestions  from  my  end  would  be  

Filter:-  Go  in  for  a  HOB  instead  of  a  power  filter,  Some  HOB's  have  decent  space  to  put  some  biological  filteration  media  like  Cermaic  Rings  in  them.

Plants:-  Riccia  is  a  beautiful  plant,  but  its  a  bit  of  a  PITA  once  it  starts  growing,  would  suggest  you  replace  that  with  Moss.

All  the  Best   Thumb Up   Keep  us  posted
Whitesnake
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 2:52 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

all  the  best
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:04 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Seetharam  wrote  (View  Post):                
Filter:-  Go  in  for  a  HOB  instead  of  a  power  filter,  Some  HOB's  have  decent  space  to  put  some  biological  filteration  media  like  Cermaic  Rings  in  them.

HOB  in  a  planted  tank  in  Summer  is  not  a  good  option.  Cause  in  high  temparature,  amount  of  dissolved  gass  will  be  very  less  in  tank.  He  will  be  using  DIY  CO2.  So  HOB  will  not  be  a  very  good  option  for  a  3  feeter.
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 3:08 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Seetharam.....thanx  for  the  suggestion.....well  haven't  yet  forgot  your  18"  cube  planted  tank....one  of  the  very  best  I  had  seen........well  HOB....won't  it  cause  loss  of  CO2  ...already  a  DIY  CO2  ....moreover  loss  in  CO2....Can  you  explain  why  you  stress  on  HOBS?Well  had  thought  of  moss....but  the  high  temparature  might  bocome  an  issue....so  was  planning  for  a  palnt  that  would  beat  the  heat....so  riccia.......

Whitesnake.....thanx  for  the  encouragement....
sandipan_ece
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Abhishek  keep  us  updated  with  pictures  from  the  start.
 Best  of  Luck   Thumb Up
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:49 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Thanx  Tirthada  and  Sandipanda  for  your  replies.......
 Sandipanda...tried  to  call  you  a  lot  many  times....but  your  phone  was  switched  off.
 Tirthada.....any  other  substrate  in  place  soilrite  to  mix  with  laterite  in  case  I  donot  get  my  hands  on  soilrite.....

Friends....do  help  me  out  with  where  can  I  find  soilrite  and  T5HOs  of  3  feet  in  Chennai.......

And  ....Tirthada....if  you  can  throw  some  light  on  the  way  the  fans  may  be  fixed????
Seetharam

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:51 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Tirtha/Abhishek  -  Agree  with  you  guys  on  the  loss  of  CO2,  BUT  ....  HOB  would  be  better  compared  to  a  Internal  power  filter,  simply  because  in  a  HOB  you  have  the  option  to  add  some  Biological  Filteration  Media  and  In  a  power  filter  you  dont.

If  i  was  given  an  option  of  loosing  CO2  by  going  in  for  a  filter  with  Biological  Filteration  Capability  or  going  in  for  a  filter  which  does  not  cause  CO2  loss  but  next  to  nill  biological  filteration,  then  i  would  go  with  the  first  option.

Abhishek  -  Thank  You  for  your  comments  on  the  cube,  it  has  undergone  a  transformation  now   Smile  and  has  become  home  for  6  Cambarellus  patzcuarensis  (Mexican  Dwarf  Orange  Crayfish)  will  be  posting  some  pictures  of  it  today  or  tomorrow
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:52 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

maximus  wrote  (View  Post):                
Tirthada.....any  other  substrate  in  place  soilrite  to  mix  with  laterite  in  case  I  donot  get  my  hands  on  soilrite.....

If  you  fail  to  source  Soilrite,  use  only  laterite  topped  with  4-5mm  River  gravels.  That  will  be  more  than  enough  to  start  with.

And  ....Tirthada....if  you  can  throw  some  light  on  the  way  the  fans  may  be  fixed????                

Use  small  laterite  rocks  or  any  rocks  with  rough  surface  to  tie  the  rizhome  of  ferns.  You  can  use  driftwoods  too.
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

@Seetharam....thanx  for  the  reply...will  love  to  see  the  Dwarf  Orange  Crayfish.....
 2Tirthada...thanx  for  such  a  quick  reply....
 well  I  had  asked  on  the  way  the  cooling  fans  has  to  be  set  on  top  of  my  tank....not  the  ferns.......  Smile
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 5:11 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

well  I  had  asked  on  the  way  the  cooling  fans  has  to  be  set  on  top  of  my  tank....not  the  ferns.......  Smile                

Oops.....  My  Bad.  You  can  fix  the  fan  top  of  the  tank  with  2  Glass  or  Wooden  strip.  Will  post  a  picture  How  I  have  done.  But  surely  my  DIYs  are  ugly  looking  stuffs.
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 6:21 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Even  if  its  an  ugly  stuff  in  your  eyes....it  has  to  be  great  for  you  have  done  it  yourself  ....its   a  Diy  ....that's  the  best  part  of  it......
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:03 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

hey  maximus,

Im  planning  a  similar  project  in  the  coming  few  months.  Expecting  to  learn  a  lot  from  this,  and  the  learning  has  already  started.  Please  keep  posting  the  status  of  your  project  ...   Thumb Up
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2009 7:12 pm Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Thanx  for  the  reply  Alistair....will  be  posting  with  all  updates  possible....
maximus
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 26, 2009 12:26 am Post subject: Re: Journey to the Planted World..... Reply with quote

Well....hoping  to  receive  my  tank  and  stand  by  today....was  browsing  amilessly  through  the  net  .....found  a  lovely  plant  ....ERIOCAULON  CINEREUM......was  highly  impressed  with  the  plant.....but  want  to  have  reviews  on  the  plant.....will  it  be  suitable  for  me  to  go  for  it  as  a  mid-ground  plant....with  diy  co2  and  lighting  close  to  2.8w/gal....will  it  survive????moreover  where  to  source  it  in  Chennai.......????
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : 1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12  Next
Page 1 of 12

Jump to: