You would be surprised to know that this swirling disease is called VIRAL FEVER for discus and this is often fatal.
1. water parameters do go hay-wire during rains. bacterias become more active, thus if u r not using RO filters, this may get in your tanks.
2. if one has fever and he does w/c during his sickness, this is also transfered to the fish.
3. any sneezing on top of tank can also lead to VIRAL FEVER in discus.
4. possible another source could be affected of diseased food source.
5. If using RO filter, it might be chocked of the TFT membrane has not been changed.
1. check water parameters for TDS, hardness and nitrates, specially when changes in weather. take necessary meaures accordingly to get the water paras same as before. e,g, use RO filter or change RO filters media.
2. if one has fever, DO NOT perform w/c's. Never let anyone come near the tanks if they have fever or cold. Higly recommended.
3. Always clean hands with water when doing w/c's, irrespective you have fever, cold or not. no soap to be used. just plain water hand rinsing will do.
4. Always know your food source. Hikari i know is popular this parts of India, and it is a very good food source. It is sterlized!!
5. Use PP to clean your tanks once a week. - Take a beaker of water and put PP till water turns dark Pink. dip scrubber in it and clean tank sides/walls and bottom from down towards up. Thumb rule - one dip of scrubber = one stroke down to up. clean scrubber in PP beaker and use again. do this till the whole tank has been done. perform 50% w/c.
this will sterlize the tanks and will remove any settled bacteria on side and tank glass.
Caution while using PP: it will kill the bacteria in the filter, so it is recommended that the filter be pulled out first and put in seperate water holder with old aqarium water.
1. No cure found so far, but people do try different things.
a. start feeding ANTIBIOTICS immediately.
b. clean tank with PP as mentioned above daily.
c. supplement with Vitamin C tabs to 100mg per 40 L
Rest leave to God.
1. it is a myth that it is due to PH change. totally wrong. downward PH change (e.g. 7.5 - 6. will make the fish stressed and put burns on the fish fins, but PH change upwards (e.g. 6.8 - 7.5) will not have an adverse affect on the fish, they adjust well to this.
2. formalin is only used for parasites. flukes and internal parasites specially. please donot use this for this. highly recommended. and special care should be taken while using this.
Sorry for the long post and i tried my best to help. Donot take the word FATAL seriously as i know it is very stressing, but it is a fact. In this case i qull my affected stockS from tankS, but over time taking precautions has since helped.
If i can be of any other help, lemme know and take care.
Sorry to hear, that you have lost Adult Discus. In the Past, same
thing happend to me, out of 6 Adults, have lost two. It looks like
as going through all the Postings, one given to understand that it
may be Due to Viral, epedimic of contaminated Rain water.Take
Joined: Jun 29, 2003 Posts: 7087 Location: Bengaluru, India
Posted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 7:42 pm Post subject:
Can you post the source of quinine sulphate?
This is a useful medication to get your hands on.
I guess you'll have to discard a number of equipment to be rid of this disease.
How small are the spores? No mention of that anywhere. Will it stick to the silicone and remain there?
I guess you'll have to try multiple agent disinfection, which I am not too sure will be effective because if the spores cannot be affected by any drug or other agents like bleach etc., you are in a hell of a mess.
Like the common ich, the spores can not be destroyed in water, but the free swimming intermediate parasites are attacked by medication.
Ich cannot survive dryness or absense of fish but this damn virus or whatever can survive years of dryness and all types of conditions.
Posted: Wed Aug 17, 2005 7:43 pm Post subject: Disease
The last of the fishes affected by this disease died today - a big red turquoise.
Total casualties : 70-80 youngs 3" upwards and 22 adults mostly pigeons, blue diamonds and my whole lot of red turquoise.
I havent discarded any equipment. Treating tanks with Poash aluminum sulphate as suggested by Nag. Must say that it is better than Potassium permanganate. All big fishes have been shifted to the hatchery. Only five tanks inhabited at present. Got fry 25 paise coind size of blue turq, blue diamonds, pigeon, butterly, red turq.
Madan, the QS was sent by a chemical dealer in Aurangabad. I will try and get the source from him.
Thanks to all of you who have stood by me in this trying time.
You cannot post new topics in this forum You cannot reply to topics in this forum You cannot edit your posts in this forum You cannot delete your posts in this forum You cannot vote in polls in this forum You cannot attach files in this forum You cannot download files in this forum