63. Guest
64. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,639

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Fish compatible to molly
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Fish compatible to molly

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Bearers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
atul
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:41 am Post subject: Fish compatible to molly Reply with quote

Hi,

what  are  fishes  compatible  to  molly.  Molly  require  brackish  water,  what  are  other  fishes  that  can  be  kept  with  molly
imran
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:46 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Hi  Atul,
                       Most  of  the  freshwater  fishes  are  compatible  with  mollies.You  can  keep  danios,  barbs,angelfish,gouramis,guppies,killifishes  with  them.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:54 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Mollies  should  be  kept  with  other  live  bearers  like  platies  and  swordtails.
retro_gk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:52 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Atul,  unless  your  fish  are  wild  caught,  mollies  do  not  need  brackish  water.  A  little  salt  is  beneficial,  but  not  so  much  as  to  make  the  water  brackish.

Unless  you  want  a  brackish  water  biotope,  go  with  Trevor  above.
atul
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 2:40 pm Post subject: Fish compatible to Molly Reply with quote

Hi

I  wonder  if  guppies  ,  neon  tetras  and  zebra  danio  can  be  kept  with  molly.  I  am  adding  only  1tsp  rock  salt  per  gallon.
Toomanytanks
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 21, 2005 3:32 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

With  that  concentration  of  salt  tetras  and  danios  wil  both  be  fine.  Guppies  tend  to  do  better  with  a  little  salt  in  the  water  anyway,  so  you  shouldn't  have  any  problems.

G.
Suby7272
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:06 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

But  guys  !!  Dont  guppies,  danios  and  mollies  all  have  a  reputation  for  fin-nipping  ??  Wont  there  be  mayhem  in  the  tank  then  ?
 Just  my  two  pence  here  -
 Add  a  few  bottom  dwellers  -  may  be  corys  /  loaches.  I  have  never  seen  my  mollies  bother  them.  But,  do  expect  an  occasional  stalking  by  the  loach    Chuckle  

All  the  best

Suby
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 10:18 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

Guppies,  Danios  and  mollies  do  not  have  a  reputation  for  fin  nipping  at  least  I  haven't  seen  it  in  chronic  proportions  to  not  keep  them  together.
 They  are  all  peaceful  community  fish.  The  only  time  they  get  aggressive  with  a  particular  fish  is  in  a  small  tank  when  that  fish  is  weak  and  sick  or  it's  2  males  fighting  for  breeding  rights.

I  have  had  this  combination  for  a  long  long  time  and  never  faced  any  problems.  Provide  them  with  a  good  sized  tank  and  clean  water,  they  will  be  really  happy  with  one  another.

Keeping  2  male  swordtails  together  in  a  single  tank  is  another  matter.
Suby7272
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 11:30 am Post subject:  Reply with quote

At  one  point  of  time  I  just  had  a  few  bottom  dwellers,  a  pair  each  of  mollies  and  guppies  and  1  betta.  I  had  a  very  bad  experience.  Though  the  betta  was  healthy  -  he  couldnt  dart  fast  enough  to  escape  the  male  molly  (the  molly  would  go  after  anyone  and  everyone  -  I  checked  in  the  net  and  learnt  that  it's  very  common  for  them  to  do  so)  -  The  betta's  fins  were  in  tatters  the  next  day  morning  -  and  I  had  to  put  him  back  in  his  bowl.
 May  be  just  a  few  mollies  and  guppies  in  a  big  tank  would  mean  peace.
 That's  how  my  experience  goes.
Toomanytanks
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

I've  never  had  any  problems  with  Guppies  or  Mollies  fin  nipping  either,  unless  it's  between  rival  males  (don't  know  about  danios,  I  haven't  kept  them  for  years).  
 Infact,  with  the  exception  of  two  species,  I've  had  very  little  trouble  with  aggression  from  live  bearers  provided  I've  kept  the  males  out  numbered  at  least  3  to  1  by  females.  If  you  don't  do  this  then  males  fight  over  a  limited  number  of  breeding  partners  and  females  are  almost  constantly  harrassed  and  tend  to  die  early  as  a  result.  As  long  as  the  males  are  outnumbered  like  this  then  they'll  spend  so  much  time  chasing  females  that  they  won't  have  time  to  be  aggressive  to  other  species,  and  the  females  will  have  a  more  peaceful  life  as  the  male  will  spend  two  thirds  of  his  time  courting  another  fish.  

G.
Thillu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:16 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Suby7272  wrote:                
At  one  point  of  time  I  just  had  a  few  bottom  dwellers,  a  pair  each  of  mollies  and  guppies  and  1  betta.  I  had  a  very  bad  experience.  Though  the  betta  was  healthy  -  he  couldnt  dart  fast  enough  to  escape  the  male  molly  (the  molly  would  go  after  anyone  and  everyone  -  I  checked  in  the  net  and  learnt  that  it's  very  common  for  them  to  do  so)  -  The  betta's  fins  were  in  tatters  the  next  day  morning  -  and  I  had  to  put  him  back  in  his  bowl.
 May  be  just  a  few  mollies  and  guppies  in  a  big  tank  would  mean  peace.
 That's  how  my  experience  goes.                

Suby,

It's  not  a  good  idea  to  have  guppy/molly  with  the  betta.    As  you  said,  they  are  fin  nippers  and  if  the  betta  is  big  enough  they  will  surely  have  a  meal  on  your  guppy's  tail.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:14 pm Post subject: Re: Fish compatible to molly Reply with quote

atul  wrote:                
Hi,

what  are  fishes  compatible  to  molly.  Molly  require  brackish  water,  what  are  other  fishes  that  can  be  kept  with  molly                

Most  Mollies  can  live  peacefully  with  other  fish  but  they  water  chemistry  needs  will  be  very  different.

Although  they  are  regarded  as  fresh  water  fish  they  originally  came  from  estuaries  which  meant  not  only  slightly  salty  but  also  a  higher  pH  than  pure  fresh  water.

Mollies  require  this  salt  content  to  maintain  their  immune  system.

In  a  completely  freshwater  tank  you  have  a  very  good  chance  of  losing  them  soon  to  illness.  Keeping  them  with  a  low  pH  and  no  salt  could  mean  trouble.
   Crying or Very sad  
 One  tablespoon  of  rock  salt  for  twenty  liters  of  water  would  suffice.  The  water  should  be  slightly  alkaline  with  a  pH  of  7.2  to  7.5  and  a  hardness  of  14dH  to  15dH.  Thumb Up  
 The  friendly  tank  mates  of  the  Mollie  might  wish  for  a  very  different  water  chemistry.  Shocked
Suby7272
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2005 3:24 pm Post subject:  Reply with quote

Thillu  wrote:                

Suby,
 It's  not  a  good  idea  to  have  guppy/molly  with  the  betta.    As  you  said,  they  are  fin  nippers  and  if  the  betta  is  big  enough  they  will  surely  have  a  meal  on  your  guppy's  tail.                

Wow,  appears  like  you  too  have  bettas  !!
 PM  me  if  you  do.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Bearers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: