63. Guest
64. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Growing Out Brine Shrimps
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Growing Out Brine Shrimps
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fish Food
View previous topic :: View next topic  
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

Hi  Madhu,

The  Brine  Shrimp  do  lose  their  nutritional  content  in  24  hours  and  after  that  they  are  nothing  but  Water  and  Low-Proteins,  not  a  very  good  food  for  Baby  Fish,  who  require  higher  fat  and  energy  in  their  regular  feeding  for  rapid  growth  and  proper  development,  hence  the  "worthless"-  in  terms  of  nutritional  value.

Regards
 Kush
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue May 26, 2009 12:18 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

alpha91  wrote  (View  Post):                
@Madhu
 Do  you  hatch  your  cysts  in  the  bucket  itself,or  hatch  them  first  in  a  smaller  bottle  and  then  transfer  them  to  a  bigger  container?  When  i  tried  to  transfer  the  bbs  hatched  in  a  bottle  to  a  bucket,all  of  them  vanished  in  2-3  days...                

Hi  there  !

Its  always  better  to  use  a  bottle  (or  a  vessel  as  conical  as  possible)  to  hatch  the  Cysts  to  prevent  any  dead  spots  and  keep  all  the  cysts  in  motion.  This  will  maximize  the  hatch  rate  and  ensure  survival.

Kush
VC27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:03 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

This  may  be  interesting.  My  apologies  in  advance  to  the  Mods,  if  I  am  doing  anything  wrong  by  posting  this  link  here  -  if  that  is  the  case,  please  delete  this  post  immediately.

Please  follow  this  link  :  http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270410986864

Regards.
chinkz
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:42 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

VC27  wrote  (View  Post):                
This  may  be  interesting.  My  apologies  in  advance  to  the  Mods,  if  I  am  doing  anything  wrong  by  posting  this  link  here  -  if  that  is  the  case,  please  delete  this  post  immediately.

Please  follow  this  link  :  http://cgi.ebay.in/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270410986864

Regards.                

Wow  thanks  for  the  link  !!!  I  guess  I'll  try  a  packet.  Thanks  again  !
 Regards  and  Care
 Kush
VC27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:06 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

Thanks  Kush  @  Chinkz!

I  wanted  to  promote  them  as  playful  pets,  if  you  want  to  feed  them  to  your  fish  -  that's  your  business!  I  don't  have  the  heart  to  feed  them  to  my  fish.  I  enjoy  their  antics!

Cheers!
vikcyboss
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 9:49 am Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

Hi  VC,
 I  have  some  basic  questions:-

1.  How  long  they  live?
 2.  Do  they  also  breed  in  fish  bowls  or  any  other  small  utensils.
 3.  Any  smell  comes  from  these  ?  In  that  case  keeping  them  in  living  room  will  get  tough.
 4.  What  are  basic  temperature  requirements  and  water  parameters?

--
oceanhaze
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:41 am Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

please  post  us  updates  when  you  r  done  with  the  experiment.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
VC27
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:47 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

vikcyboss  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  VC,
 I  have  some  basic  questions:-

1.  How  long  they  live?
 2.  Do  they  also  breed  in  fish  bowls  or  any  other  small  utensils.
 3.  Any  smell  comes  from  these  ?  In  that  case  keeping  them  in  living  room  will  get  tough.
 4.  What  are  basic  temperature  requirements  and  water  parameters?

--                

Hi!

1.  The  strain  that  I  have  live  for  about  45  -  60  days
 2.  Fish  Bowls  are  fine.  Plastic  buckets  or  Pickle  Jars  (Made  of  glass  or  plastic)  are  good  too.  Just  ensure  that  the  containers  have  wide  mouths  as  they  need  a  lot  of  oxygen.
 3.  As  far  as  I  have  seen  they  don't  smell  at  all.  Don't  worry!
 4.  Dechlorinated  water  or  well  water  is  best.  However  one  can  use  mineral  water  if  you  want  to  spend  more.  Normal  municipal  tap  water  needs  to  stand  for  about  24  -  36  hours  to  get  rid  of  chlorine  traces.  
 5.  The  water  has  to  be  conditioned  precisely  with  some  chemicals  to  create  the  ideal  environment.  If  you  are  looking  at  just  hatching  the  nauplii  to  use  as  live  feed,  then  ordinary  sea  salt  is  fine  in  a  ratio  of  30  grams  per  litre  of  water.  However,  if  you  wish  to  rear  them  as  pets,  then  some  other  trace  chemicals  have  to  be  added  to  ensure  a  longer  lifespan.
 6.  One  final  thing,  if  you  want  to  rear  them  as  pets,  NEVER  EVER  use  an  airstone  to  inject  air  into  the  tank,  the  fine  bubbles  will  kill  them.

I  hope  I  have  been  able  to  clarify  your  doubts.

Regards,

VC  Thumbs Up
sikander
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:49 pm Post subject: Re: Growing Out Brine Shrimps Reply with quote

Hi  found  this  article  in  one  forum  thought  will  help  you  

General  Info  on  brine  shrimp  
 Brine  shrimps,  or  artemia,  are  a  zooplankton  used  mainly  as  fry  food,  but  they  can  also  be  grown  to  about  20  mm  (0.8  inch)  in  length  and  be  a  valuable  food  source  for  adult  fishes  as  well.  What  makes  brine  shrimps  such  ideal  fry  food  is  their  good  nutritional  value,  their  ability  to  live  5  hours  in  fresh  water  before  dying,  and  the  fact  that  the  eggs  can  be  stored  for  many  years  as  long  as  they  are  kept  away  from  water  and  oxygen.  Once  the  dried  eggs  are  returned  into  oxygenated  saltwater  they  resume  their  development  and  hatch.  This  is  an  adaptation  to  living  in  desert  lakes  that  dry  up.  

The  time  it  takes  them  to  hatch  depends  on  the  temperature.  It  takes  15  to  20  hours  at  25°C  (77°F).  A  higher  temperature  shortens  hatching  time.  The  optimal  hatching  temperature  depends  on  the  origin  of  the  brine  shrimps,  however  temperatures  between  25-30°C  (77-86°F)  are  recommended.  
 -  Recommended  salinity:  30-35  ppt  (1.022-1.026  density)  
 -  Recommended  pH:  8.0  (pH  6.0-9.0  is  acceptable)  

Once  they  hatch  they  enter  the  umbrella  stage,  during  which  the  larvae  do  not  feed  since  they  haven't  yet  developed  a  mouth  or  anus.  They  survive  on  their  yolk  sac  during  this  time.  

After  12  hours  they  enter  the  second  stage  of  development  and  start  feeding  by  filtering  micro-algae  from  the  water.  The  nauplii  grow  fast,  and  can  reach  adulthood  in  8  days.  Brine  shrimp  can  live  for  up  to  3  months.  

Since  this  article  is  focusing  on  growing  brine  shrimp  to  adulthood,  I  shall  not  address  the  question  of  how  to  hatch  brine  shrimp.  

Caring  for  your  brine  shrimp  
 There  are  several  factors  that  contribute  to  the  successful  raising  of  brine  shrimp  to  adult  size.  The  two  most  important  ones,  besides  giving  the  brine  shrimp  the  above  stated  water  parameters,  are:  

·  Feeding:  brine  shrimp  are  not  hard  to  feed.  They  accept  most  food  they  can  filter  out  of  the  water  as  long  as  it's  not  too  big  and  doesn't  dissolve  in  water.  There  is  brine  shrimp  food  available  in  pet  stores,  containing  micro-algae  for  the  nauplii  to  eat.  There  are,  however,  quite  a  few  cheaper  alternatives  that  you  can  buy  in  your  regular  grocery  store;  for  example  yeast,  wheat  flour,  soybean  powder  and  egg  yolk.  It's  hard  to  know  how  much  to  feed  the  nauplii,  but  the  transparency  of  the  water  can  be  of  help.  During  the  first  weeks  you  should  be  able  to  see  about  15  cm  into  the  water.  When  the  nauplii  grow,  the  food  concentration  should  be  kept  a  little  lower,  and  a  water  transparency  of  25  cm  is  recommended.  Food  levels  should  be  kept  constant,  so  frequent  feedings  are  required.  

·  Aquarium  maintenance:  Brine  shrimp  are  usually  kept  in  small  tanks,  and  therefore  water  quality  may  deteriorate  quickly.  Water  changes  are  of  utmost  importance.  I  recommend  changing  at  least  20%  two  times  a  week.  This  is  to  prevent  low  oxygen  levels  which  will  be  a  result  of  poor  water  quality.  It's  also  important  to  clean  the  bottom  of  the  tank  since  brine  shrimp  moult  very  often  during  their  way  to  adulthood,  leaving  a  lot  of  remains  on  the  bottom  of  the  tank  which  may  lower  the  water  quality.  Cleaning  should  be  done  at  night  using  a  flashlight  to  draw  the  brine  shrimp  to  the  surface.  Brine  shrimp  are  drawn  to  light,  and  the  light  from  the  flashlight  will  attract  them  to  the  light  source,  keeping  them  safe  while  you  clean  the  bottom  of  the  tank.  

Breeding  brine  shrimp  
 If  well  cared  for  and  kept  in  a  low  salinity,  your  adult  brine  shrimp  will  (or  might)  spawn  in  your  aquarium.  Every  adult  female  is  capable  of  producing  75  nauplii  a  day,  or  300  every  4  days.  They  will  be  able  to  spawn  10  times  during  a  normal  lifespan.  However  if  well  cared  for  they  can,  as  I  stated  earlier,  live  for  as  long  as  3  months  and  during  that  entire  time  spawn  every  4  days.

Growing  Adult  Brine  Shrimp  

By  William  Berg
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fish Food All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: