58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,803

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already :(
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:33 pm Post subject: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Hi,

[color=darkred]Content  deleted  -  Admin[/color]

Thanks
 Anurag
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 4:35 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Prices  are  not  allowed  in  the  forum.
 You  received  a  Welcome  PM  when  you  registered.  Read  through  that  and  strictly  follow  Forum  rules.
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:02 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Sorry  didnt  read  the  rules.

But  the  prices  should  be  allowed  to  ensure  fair  play  for  the  hobbyists,  esp  new  ones.  I  hope  the  forum  is  really  for  the  hobbyists!  Do  you  really  believe  that  price  information  can  be  hidden  from  internet  users  !?

Anyway,  where  is  the  content  of  my  long  post  -  I  can  edit  out  teh  prices  and  repost  the  rest...
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 6:09 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

man,  where  is  the  text  of  my  long  post   Sad
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:14 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

For  heaven's  sake!  Here  we  go  again!   Wall Bang  

Anurag,  read  the  forum  rules.  Then  read  all  the  other  threads  we  have  had  before  on  this  very  topic.  Then  read  the  forum  rules  again.  

We  have  had  enough  flame  wars  on  this  topic  in  the  last  few  months.  I  know  you  have  not  been  involved  in  any  of  them,  but  let  me  tell  you:  I  am  sick  of  it,  and  would  rather  it  was  not  repeated  again.

Do  go  ahead  and  post  with  your  problem  again,  and  we  will  do  our  best  to  help  you  out.   Thumb Up
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 22, 2009 9:13 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Hi  Anurag,

the  posting  of  prices  are  not  allowed  for  some  genuine  reasons  which  you  will  find  out  soon  Smile  

however  if  you  post  your  queries  minus  the  prices.  i  am  sure  that  people  will  reply  as  the  people  are  here  to  sort  out  problems.  people  who  are  very  experienced  spent  time  and  money(as  someone  pays  the  cost  to  maintain  this  forum  which  is  free)  just  to  troubleshoot  people's  problems.

the  reason  prices  are  not  allowed  as  it  varies  a  lot  due  to  seasons,  area,  contacts  etc  and  cause  lots  of   question/cross  question  which  gets  blown  out  context  to  a  full  fledged  fight.  the  negative  point  of  this  being  that  people  notice  the  fight  thread  and  get  involved  and  thus  missing  other  greater  issues  which  someone  has(say  a  dying  fish,  some  serious  issues  etc).  so  to  prevent  such  mishappenings  price  is  not  discussed  in  the  open  forum.

however  there  is  a  facility  called  PM(private  message)  which  you  can  use  to  ask  anyone  about  the  prices.  ask  me  and  i  will  answer  but  it  happens  between  you  and  me  and  not  in  the  open.  use  that  feature  here  and  i  am  sure  people  will  tell  you  the  prices.

hope  this  helps  Smile
Dabbu3288
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 2:49 am Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Wonderfully  explained!!  Smile   Thumb Up
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

thanks  for  the  patient  explanation  and  the  wonderful  spirit  

as  a  suggestion  -  before/after  truncating  the  post  can  you  give  the  text  back  to  the  sender?  as  in  my  case  it  was  a  long  one  and  i  did  not  save  a  copy...i  cannot  find  it  in  any  folder  of  my  account  either...anyway  i  will  try  to  put  it  all  together  again...

SETUP

I  have  got  a  new  nature  setup  in  a  small  Dolphin  box  (1.5  ft  x  1ft  x  1.25  ft  or  so).  This  is  my  first  setup,  nature  or  otherwise.  The  composition  is  as  follows:

-  5  kg  bed  gravel
 -  6  kg  black  amazonia
 -  1  big  driftwood  with  moss  tied  to  it
 -  water  plants  (blyxa,  brazillian  grass,  java  fern  and  couple  others)
 -  couple  of  small  rock  pieces
 -  internal  filter
 -  couple  of  empty  snail  shells

PROCESS

I  got  the  box  from  a  different  shop  and  took  it  to  Bloo  aqua  studio  (JP  Ngr  Blore)  for  setup.  They  advised  Do!Aqua  liquid  bio  fertilizer  for  plants  and  a  couple  of  vials  of  bacteria,  which  I  took.

After  resetting  the  bed  at  home  (it  got  disturbed  a  bit  in  transportation)  I  filled  bottled  drinking  water  and  switch  the  filter  on  (no  lights  yet).  By  next  evening  the  water  was  clear.  Then  I  added  the  plant  fertilizer  and  bacteria  and  have  been  adding  the  fertilizer  daily  as  advised.

I  got  a  white  philips  cfl  lamp  of  6500K  with  flexible  neck  and  I  am  using  it  since  (been  10  days  or  so  now).  I  dont  see  any  type  of  algae  yet.

Left  the  tank  like  that  for  a  week.  Observed  that  one  plants  was  not  doing  good  and  all  saplings  of  it  were  gradually  rotting.  Left  it  alone  as  I  was  planning  to  add  some  snails  and  algae  eaters  etc  and  it  could  have  been  good  food  for  them.

ADDED  FISHES

Ultimately  I  decided  for  a  combination  of  Guppies,  Neon  Tetras,  Shrimps  and  some  Algae  eater.  To  start  with  I  purchased  5  red  cherry  shrimps  and  6  blue  neon  tetras  last  weekend.  

Fishes  looked  tentative  and  slowly  explored  the  aquarium.  Then  they  shoaled  and  later  dispersed.  One  or  two  of  them  chase  and  nip  others  regularly.

Shrimps  were  crazy  and  darted  from  here  to  there.  In  one  day  3-4  of  them  changed  skins  (exfoliated)  and  we  could  see  the  exoskeletons  lying  on  the  bed.  They  have  come  out  in  good  colors  and  are  pretty  active,  nibbling  at  each  and  every  thing.

FEEDING

I  took  normal  fish  food  (pellets).  First  I  tried  to   put  them  as  is,  they  floated  and  fishes  couldnt  eat  them.  Then  I  ground  them  but  they  still  floated  and  clouded  the  aquarium.  I  let  them  get  filtered.  Then  I  made  a  paste  of  them  with  aquarium  water  and  they  sank  slowly,  fishes  were  able  to  eat  I  guess.  Did  this  twice  that  day.

PROBLEM  -  FISHES  DYING

Next  day  after  30  mins  of  lethargy  3  fishes  turned  bottoms  up  one  after  another  in  a  span  of  few  mins.  They  hadnt  lost  much  color,  just  a  bit  of  red.  I  had  read  that  neon  tetras  will  fade  if  they  get  sick  but  I  didnt  notice  any  prominent  fading.

However  I  immediately  removed  the  dead  fishes.  Been  36hrs  or  so  now.  Other  fishes  look  stable.

I  had  noticed  a  couple  of  dead  fishes  in  the  fish  store  tank  from  where  I  got  these  tetras.  Shrimps  were  given  from  a  separate  bowl.

MITIGATION  STEPS

After  few  died  I  purchased  the  micro-pellets  and  bloodworms.  I  dont  give  more  than  one  pinch  at  a  time  and  just  2  times  in  24  hrs.  Fishes  are  not  touching  the  freeze  dried  bloodworms!

I  have  been  changing  10-20%  of  the  water  daily  now.  And  have  added  more  bacteria  solution.

QUESTIONS

1-  Any  pointers  to  why  the  neon  tetras  died  suddenly?  
 2-  More  importantly,  are  the  remaining  fish  under  danger?
 3-  There  are  3  remaining,  should  I  add  more  tetras  (or  other  fish)  right  now  or  wait  a  bit?
 4-  Do  you  think  lighting  improvisation  is  good  enough?  I  have  topped  my  budget  and  ideally  dont  want  to  spend  more!
 5-  The  nipping  behavior  of  neon  tetras  is  normal?  
 6-  Shall  I  purge  the  decaying  plants  or  leave  them  (in  case  their  roots  sprout  new  leaves  after  old  ones  decay)?
 7-  Is  the  feeding  pattern  mentioned  above  alright?
 8-  Which  bottom  feeder  can  I  get  in  Bangalore  that  will  be  suitable?  (I  didnt  find  bristlenose  pleco)
 9-  The  fish  food  which  sank  to  the  bottom  looks  bad  and  has  developed  fungus  like  fuzz.  Shall  I  purge  it  (it  is  difficult  to  do  so  in  a  planted  tank)  or  leave  it  to  decay?
 10-  after  how  many  days  shall  I  clean  the  filter?
 11-  Any  specific  food  for  shrimps?
 12-  The  soil  dust  that  rose  after  first  putting  in  water  has  settled  on  leaves,  wood  and  filter,  I  used  a  paintbrush  to  dust  it.  But  it  is  still  there.  How  can  I  clean  it?  Or  shall  I  leave  it  like  that?

Too  many  different  type  of  questions  I  guess.  If  I  need  to  post  them  under  different  relevant  threads,  please  let  me  know.  

Thanks
 Anurag
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:58 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

You  have  used  Amazonia.

How  many  times  did  you  change  water  in  the  days  before  you  added  fish  ?
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 12:59 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

I  didnt  change  the  water  even  once.  Should  I  have?  I  dont  remember  any  such  advice  given  by  the  fish  store...
indianhotriff
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:02 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

isn't  that  too  much  of  a  load  on  that  little  tank  of  yours?
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 1:40 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

Dont  think  the  load  is  that  much...the  tank  looks  pretty  under  populated.

All  these  creatures  are  half  to  one  inch  in  length.  We  really  have  to  'find'  the  shrimps.  

The  plan  was  to  have  some  top  dwellers  like  guppies,  some  mid  dwellers  like  neon  tetras  and  some  bottom  dwellers  like  bristlenose  so  they  dont  really  infringe.
psimhan
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:44 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

New  aquasoil   releases  ammonia  into  the  tank  in  the  first  week/  fortnight.  You  have  put  in  fish  without  any  W/Cs.  
 What  do  you  think  will  happen?
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:50 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

You  need  to  do  multiple  water  changes  for  the  first  few  weeks  when  you  use  Amazonia  to  get  rid  of  the  Ammonia.
 What  filtration  do  you  use  ?  What  do  you  intend  to  use  if  any  ?
anuragsync
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 23, 2009 4:15 pm Post subject: Re: new nature aquarium, 3 tetras down already Sad Reply with quote

I  have  an  internal  filter  (in-aquarium  filter)  of  Dolphin  brand.  Its  spec  say  that  it  is  bio,  chemical  and  physical  filter.  Rate  of  abt  500  ltr  per  hr  I  think.  

My  fish  store  did  not  indicate  anything  about  water  changes,  definitely  nothing  to  the  effect  of  'few'  weeks.  They  gave  the  bacteria  for  ammonia,  plant  fertilizer  and  told  a  time  of  1  week  which  I  adhered  to  religiously.

Now,  shall  I  remove  the  fishes  and  shrimps  and  do  water  changes?  Any  way  to  detoxify  the  fish?  Or  shall  I  just  go  along  with  rapid  water  changes?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: