57. Guest
58. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My favourite having trouble breathing
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My favourite having trouble breathing
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Diseases & Cures
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:44 am Post subject: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

Hi  All,

My  M.Lambordoi  (from  the  avatar)  is  my  oldest  fish  in  the  tank  and  is  about  4  years  now.  It  has  been  having  some  trouble  breathing  for  the  last  2  weeks.  It  tries  to  come  up  and  feed  but  not  very  successful  at  it.  I  can  see  a  white  folding  coming  out  when  it  is  breathing  and  the  breaths  are  fast.  All  other  fish  in  the  tank  are  fine  and  the  oxygen  is  at  saturation  levels.  All  water  parameters  are  fine  too.
 Any  guesses  on  what  he  might  be  suffering  from  ?  I  am  kinda  attached  to  this  guy  Sad  so  any  remedies  on  getting  him  well  is  appreciated.

Regards
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:23 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

anything  that  was  done  to  the  tank  since  when  he  has  started  to  show  this  behavior
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:00 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

No  AFAIK,  the  usual  WC  and  feeding  routines.  I  did  leave  them  for  a  week  but  my  brother  came  and  fed  them  in  between  once.  My  brother  is  a  fish  keeper  too  so  no  probs  there.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:01 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

Can  fish  get  respiratory  track  infections  ?  I  have  asthma  so  I  know  what  he  is  going  through  Sad.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:13 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

is  he  eating  normally  

what  is  the  way  you  keep  surface  agitation  for  the  sake  of  air  exchange  

did  you  try  and  add  some  extra  aeration  to  the  tank.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:26 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

He  tries  to  come  up  and  eat  but  does  not  fight  for  the  food  at  all.  I  make  sure  he  gets  a  pellet  or  two  but  he  gives  up  pretty  soon  and  goes  down.  The  tank  has  extra  airation  now  but  no  help.  I  have  seen  fishes  gasping  for  oxygen  but  they  would  come  up  to  the  surface.  This  guy  stays  in  his  cave  breathing  hard.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:22 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

Is  it  possible  that  it  might  be  getting  old.
 They  are  said  to  live  for  8-10  years  in  good  conditions,  how  old  was  he  when  you  got  him.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 3:03 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

sandeepraghuvanshi  wrote  (View  Post):                
Is  it  possible  that  it  might  be  getting  old.
 They  are  said  to  live  for  8-10  years  in  good  conditions,  how  old  was  he  when  you  got  him.                

Not  very  Sad.  He  would  have  been  a  couple  of  months  old  then.  I  have  some  more  fishes  which  are  of  the  same  age  and  are  healthy,  I  did  not  want  this  guy  to  leave  so  early.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:19 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

it  sounds  more  like  the  swim  bladder  issue

i  have  seen  this  happen  to  quite  old  fish  too  

they  kinda  have  trouble  swimming  to  the  surface  and  sit  at  the  bottom  most  of  the  time  

from  where  is  the  white  folding  coming  out  from,  this  kinda  put  me  off  before  too.

usually  fish  survive  if  given  special  care  even  with  swim  bladder  issue,  i  kept  my  jewel  with  swim  bladder  issue  fro  almost  an  year.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 3:42 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

Shouldn't  he  be  turning  to  the  sides  in  swim  bladder  ?  This  guy  swims  well,  though  much  lesser.  He  occasionally  comes  up  to  pick  pellets.  The  fold  appears  out  of  his  gills.  I  can  also  see  some  dark  patches  on  the  gill  must  be  from  stressed  breathing.
 There  are  two  possibilities  that  I  can  think  of.
 1.  He  fought  madly  with  the  M.  Auratus  who  got  this  guy's  gill  and  injured  it.  Now  he  is  having  trouble  using  the  injured  gill.
 2.  When  I  had  gone  out  of  town  for  a  week,  I  was  told  that  Bangalore  had  blackouts.  I  even  noticed  all  my  ice  from  the  freezer  melted  off.  My  apt  complex  has  backup  but  they  decided  to  turn  that  off  when  the  blackouts  went  too  long  and  started  costing  on  fuel  big  time.  Maybe  the  power  blackout  caused  all  the  fishes  to  get  stressed  and  when  the  power  came  back  everybody  recovered  but  this  one  could  not.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 17, 2009 4:22 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

cichlidlover  wrote  (View  Post):                
Shouldn't  he  be  turning  to  the  sides  in  swim  bladder  ?  This  guy  swims  well,  though  much  lesser.  He  occasionally  comes  up  to  pick  pellets.  The  fold  appears  out  of  his  gills.  I  can  also  see  some  dark  patches  on  the  gill  must  be  from  stressed  breathing.
 There  are  two  possibilities  that  I  can  think  of.
 1.  He  fought  madly  with  the  M.  Auratus  who  got  this  guy's  gill  and  injured  it.  Now  he  is  having  trouble  using  the  injured  gill.
 2.  When  I  had  gone  out  of  town  for  a  week,  I  was  told  that  Bangalore  had  blackouts.  I  even  noticed  all  my  ice  from  the  freezer  melted  off.  My  apt  complex  has  backup  but  they  decided  to  turn  that  off  when  the  blackouts  went  too  long  and  started  costing  on  fuel  big  time.  Maybe  the  power  blackout  caused  all  the  fishes  to  get  stressed  and  when  the  power  came  back  everybody  recovered  but  this  one  could  not.                

with  swim  bladder  the  fish  needn't  swim  sidewards  or  upside  down,  as  i  have  seen  cases  where  the  fish  stays  upright  but  cannot  swim  constantly  and  rests  on  the  bottom  most  of  the  time.

why  don't  you  give  him  a  separate  tank  with  a  hiding  place  and  give  him  only  sinking  food  
 as  that  is  what  i  used  to  do  when  one  of  my  old  jewel  cichlids  got  the  swim  bladder  issue  

about  the  gill  i  think  it  is  more  of  the  tears  that  caused  that,  and  can  you  post  pics  for  the  black  marks  that  are  coming  up.
cichlidlover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 30, 2009 11:19 pm Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

The  guy  passed  away  today  in  the  afternoon.  I  had  him  separated  in  a  small  tank  with  heavy  airation  but  that  did  not  help.  He  kept  on  breathing  heavily  till  the  last  minute.  May  his  soul  rest  in  peace.
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:16 am Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

May  he  RIP.....
umashankar
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:17 am Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

I  feel  very  sad  ....i  still  remember  seeing  him  last  week  at  your  place.  Did  you  burry  him.
mmb19000
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 31, 2009 10:11 am Post subject: Re: My favourite having trouble breathing Reply with quote

That  guy  was  beautiful.   May  he  RIP.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Diseases & Cures All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: