58. Guest
59. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - My shot at planted tank -- Rescaped -- Updated Pics
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

My shot at planted tank -- Rescaped -- Updated Pics
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:04 am Post subject: My shot at planted tank -- Rescaped -- Updated Pics Reply with quote

Hi  thanks  to  IAH  and  the  tons  of  planted  tank  knowledge  i  have  been  able  to  come  up  with  this  tank.

Specs

Tank  -  3X1X1  --  (dont  curse  the  dimensions  i  have  had  this  tank  for  14  yrs  )  wanted  to  learn  all  the  science  adn  R&D  with  this  tank  before  i  upgrade  to  a  4X2x2

Lights  --  4  T5  2ft  lights  14W  each,  currently  running  it  on  only  2  for  the  first  1  month  and  then  will  being  on  the  other  2

Gravel  --  bottom  layer  of  laterite  (red  mud  from  lalbagh  nursery)mixed  with  gravel  of  4-5mm  of  1  inch  topped  with  2  inch  of  2-3mm  gravel  

Plants  --  java  ferns  ,  anubias  ,  java  moss  ,  christmas  moss  ,  taiwan  moss  (all  these  growing  on  driftwoods),  lots  of  cryptocrynes  ,  some  stem  plants  (sorry  bad  with  names)

Filteration  -  internal  filter  600L/hr

CO2  --  2ltr  coke  bottle  ,  formula  -  1cup  sugar  15  granules  yeast  ,  DIY  diffused  by  means  of  a  DIY  extension  to  the  internal  filter  (as  in  pic)

Lighting  period  --  currently  7hrs  

Dozing  --  will  start  in  2  weeks  

Fish  --  will  be  adding  them  after  tank  cycles,  intend  to  have  just  10  pairs  of  cardinals  and  some  ottos

I  would  like  to  mention  a  big  thank  you  to  the  DARK  KNIGHT  (as  this  person  would  not  want  his  ID  disclosed  on  IAH)
 Who  has  been  giving  me  great  online  lessons  on  planted  tanks  and  without  his  support  i  would  not  have  been  able  to  do  all  this  

Kindly  comment  adn  suggest  at  will

Last edited by Scarlet on Sat May 29, 2010 12:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
nature_lover
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:38 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Good  beginning,  Scarlet.  
 You  will  need  some  more  stems  in  there  and  a  host  of  foreground  plants.  Try  to  get  some  Rotala  rotundifolia,  Rotala  wallichi,  Cryptocoryne  wendtii  and  Cryptocoryne  parva.  Some  Echinodorus  tenellus  or  Marsilea  crenata  should  go  well  with  the  foreground.

Moderators,  please  move  this  topic  to  the  appropriate  forum.
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:20 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

i  have  been  noticing  some  of  my  anubias  leaves  getting  blackish  algae  (guesssing)  on  the  edges  
 i  have  one  anubias  close  to  the  lighting  and  one  almost  near  the  substrate  so  i  rule  out  the  lighting  factor  to  be  it  

i  think  my  DIY  2  ltr  CO2  is  not  sufficient  and  i  will  need  to  run  2  of  the  same  to  get  enough  Co2  into  the  tank  

i  will  be  adding  some  molies  and  ottos  this  weekend  into  the  tank  to  eat  this  up

experts  kindly  advice
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:41 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Good  start  scarlet!  The  diftwood  on  the  right  is  very  distracting  apart  from  the  bottle.  Try  to  see  if  you  can  slant  the  driftwood  a  bit.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:37 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Is  that  a  wood?  I  thought  it  was  ceramic  made.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:57 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

yes  all  are  drifwoods  ,  will  be  adding  another  2L  DIY  co2  to  handle  the  black  algae  
 and  some  more  stems  will  go  in  and  some  minod  aquascaping  mods
kunalrsingh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

nto  bad..  good  going.  need  to  fill  it  in  a  bit  more.  you  might  have  problems  with  BBA  if  you  continue  using  DIY  CO2.   i  had  lots  of  problems  with  DIY  and  BBA.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 9:47 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

yesterday  did  my  first  water  change  of  25%
 this  morning  i  found  some  brown  spots  on  the  glass  (presume  some  sort  of  algae)

also  the  java  fern  leaves  are  getting  brownish  hair  like  projections  from  the  leaf  tips  

kindly  advice  how  i  can  get  rid  of  both  of  these

am  planning  to  add  2  pairs  of  black  molies  today  to  take  care  of  some  larve  caused  due  to  mosquitoes  laying  eggs  

have  also  done  some  minor  scaping  changes

kindly  comment  and  advice
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:17 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Scrap  the  brown  algae  from  the  glass  using  a  credit  card  (old  one).

The  brown  tips  from  the  leaves  of  the  Java  Fern  are  new  plantlets.
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:22 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Some  more  stem  plants  are  needed  in  the  background,  and  consider  filling  up  the  foreground  too..  it  would  look  great...   Thumb Up  

Regards
 Subhankar
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:26 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

the  brown  algae  on  the  glass  appeared  only  after  my  first  water  change  yesterday  ,  where  in  ,  i  cleaned  the  glass  with  a  credit  card

will  clean  the  glass  during  the  next  water  change  on  sunday  

i  will  be  starting  PMDD  from  sunday  

@prem  --  if  the  brown  things  are  new  plantlets  ---  what  and  how  do  i  handle  them  --  pls  advice
Prem kk
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:29 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

Scarlet  wrote  (View  Post):                
the  brown  algae  on  the  glass  appeared  only  after  my  first  water  change  yesterday  ,  where  in  ,  i  cleaned  the  glass  with  a  credit  card

will  clean  the  glass  during  the  next  water  change  on  sunday  

i  will  be  starting  PMDD  from  sunday  

@prem  --  if  the  brown  things  are  new  plantlets  ---  what  and  how  do  i  handle  them  --  pls  advice                

Let  them  grow  big  and  mostly  they  will  detach  themselves,  you  can  collect  them  and  tie  them  to  another  rock  or  wood.
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:13 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

now  i  have  6  java  fern  leaves  giving  out  new  plantlets  

i  have  a  problem  with  brown  algae  on  the  glass  now  ,  am  doing  25%WC  weekly  twice  ,  its  been  a  week  since  i  set  up  the  tank,  how  long  before  this  brown  algae  dissappears  and  also  can  i  put  in  some  lifestock  to  take  care  of  this  brown  algae

during  the  WC  on  sunday  even  the  credit  card  thing  did  not  help  removing  it  from  glass  easily.

i  have  upgraded  to  2  2ltr  DIY  CO2  now
 currently  running  on  2  T5HO  only  ,  have  provision  for  4  but  

experts  kindly  advice

started  Macros  and  Micros  dosing  from  sunday  
 alternate  days  before  lights  on  MACROS  
 daily  evenings  after  lights  off  MICROS
bmvbab
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jul 27, 2009 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  you  add  both  macros  and  micros  after  lights  off.
 Ensure  that  CO2  enriched  water  reaches  all  parts  of  the  tank.
Scarlet
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jul 28, 2009 10:13 am Post subject: Re: My shot at planted tank with pics Reply with quote

will  be  doing  a  50%  WC  today  evening  to  cut  down  some  of  the  brown  algae

have  some  doubts  for  the  experts  to  clear

1.  I  am  diffusing  the  DIY  CO2  thro  the  internal  filter  ,  due  to  this  i  have  made  some  mods  to  the  filter  and  so  the  filter  current  is  not  causing  a  flow  effect  in  the  tank  ,  is  this  OK  or  should  i  diffuse  CO2  thro  a  seperate  powerhead  or  should  i  get  rid  of  the  bottle  and  stuff  and  insert  the  CO2  pipe  into  the  filter  sponge  and  leave  it  so  that  i  will  get  the  water  current  as  well  as  CO2  diffusing  

2.  There  is  brown  algae  also  on  plant  leaves  ,  can  i  just  rub  it  in  hand  to  ease  it  off

3.  the  credit  card  cleaning  is  not  getting  the  brown  algae  from  the  glass  to  be  cleaned  ,  any  other  tools  for  this  

4.  will  be  adding  some  mollies  (black)  this  week  to  eat  some  of  the  small  white  wriggly  wormy  things  in  the  water  ,  its  been  1.5weeks  since  i  set  up  the  tank

5.  can  i  add  some  algae  eating  shrimp  also  now  or  will  it  be  fatal  to  add  shrimp  now
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: