173. Guest
174. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,699

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Looking after Betta fry
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Looking after Betta fry

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Breeding & Fry Care
View previous topic :: View next topic  
madonionslicer
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:01 pm Post subject: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Hey  guys,

My  bettas  recently  did  it..  It  was  a  nice  touching  moment  and  my  grandfather  thought  he  was  responsible  for  it  because  he  had  been  playing  mellow  Jagjit  Singh  ghazals  all  day..  

Anyway,  the  eggs  appeared  to  have  hatched  yesterday  so  I  took  the  male  out..  

All  I  can  see  in  the  bowl  is  little  black  dots  stuck  to  the  side..  I'm  guessing  these  are  the  fry..   

Here's  my  question  -  What  do  I  feed  these  guys?  Is  egg  yolk  a  good  option?

They  don't  seem  to  move  at  all..  Is  this  normal?  Are  they  dead?  I  sure  hope  not!

Any  advice  would  be  much  appreciated.

Cheers!
blackghost
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:07 pm Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Hey  
 Congrats  on  your  betta  fry.  Some  pics  would  be  nice!

I  hope  the  fry  are  free  swimming  and  are  not  attached  to  the  eggs.  It  is  best  to  remove  the  male  only  once  the  fry  are  free  swimming.

Yes  you  can  feed  them  egg  yolk  but  make  sure  you  feed  them  really  small  amounts  else  you  will  have  the  problem  of  degrading  water  quality.
 The  best  option  would  be  baby  brine  shrimp  or  microworms.
 Worst  case  if  you  cant  get  live  food  would  be  to  try  Hikari  First  bites  (again  very  little).  Youll  get  a  decent  success  with  that.
 All  the  best   Thumb Up  

Ghazals  inducing  betta  spawns!  Will  have  to  try  that  out  someday  Smile
akg007
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 pm Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

I  have  had  the  same  situation.  My  bettas  spawned  on  Tuesday  in  the  morning.  Once  the  mating  was  done  I  removed  the  female.  It  is  Wednesday  night  now  and  the  male  betta  is  still  hovering  near  the  bubble  nest.  How  will  I  know  when  they  have  hatched?  The  place  where  the  tank  is  kept  is  a  little  dark  and  I  can't  figure  out  what  is  happening.  Once  the  fry  have  hatched,  do  I  leave  the  male  betta  for  another  day...till  I  see  the  fry  wriggling  around?  How  soon  can  I  transfer  the  fry  to  a  slightly  larger  tank?  And  what  do  I  feed  them?  How  do  we  feed  egg  yolk?  I  have  micro  pellets  from  Sera  which  I  feed  my  neons  and  smaller  fish...will  that  work?  Thank  you.
anwinj
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:27 pm Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Congrats  on  your  first  betta  fry.  I  have  bred  successfully  with  just  egg  yolk.  However,  the  success  ratio  is  less.  Wait  for  the  fry  to  be  free  swimming  (actually  you  should  not  have  removed  the  male  immediately.  But  don't  put  it  back  now  or  it  will  probably  eat  all  the  fry)  and  then  start  feeding  them  with  egg  yolk.  You  can  try  asking  in  the  forum  if  one  of  our  hobbyists  in  Hyderabad  can  help  you  with  a  microworm  culture.  If  you  can  get  that  it  would  be  really  great  as  you  may  get  a  lot  of  bettas  in  the  end.

One  technique  I  used  was  to  strain  a  piece  of  boiled  egg  yolk  with  cloth.  This  will  help  powder  the  egg  to  a  certain  extent  for  the  fry.

All  the  best  Smile
Thillu
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:29 am Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

egg  yolk  will  foul  the  water,  what  you  need  is  infusoria.

In  the  future  start  preparing  infusoria  the  day  you  leave  the  male  and  female  together,  so  that  it  is  readily  available  when  the  babies  are  free  swimming.
ram_v
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 6:09 am Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

It  is  always  better  to  have  dim  light  in  fry  tank.  Make  sure  the  temperature  is  not  too  low  or  too  high,  28  to  29  C  is  the  ideal  temperature  for  the  Frys.  the  male  should  be  there  with  the  frys  till  they  are  free  swimming  which  is  about  3  days  but  is  some  cases  the  male  tends  to  eat  the  frys  so  always  keep  an  eye  on  him.  Don’t  feed  the  male  and  the  frys  till  three  days.  Try  to  remove  the  unhitched  eggs  carefully  as  they  could  cause  infection  to  other  Frys.
 micoworms  is  an  good  option  to  feed  the  new  born  fys  but  it  is  good  only  for  the  first  few  days  after  which  you  should  start  feeding  BBS  so  that  the  frys  grow  faster  and  healthyer.
alpha91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 8:58 am Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

You  can  go  with  egg  yolk  initially,but  BBS  is  your  best  bet  later   Thumb Up  
 The  problem  while  feeding  egg  yolk  is  that  people  end  up  feeding  way  too  much.  Ideally  you  should  be  taking  as  much  egg  yolk  as  the  size  of  a  small  rice  grain.  Now  crush  it  between  your  fingers,and  release  it  onto  the  tank  surface.  What  is  your  tank  size?
 Oh  and  btw,you  might  have  to  get  a  CD  of  nursery  rhymes  soon   Chuckle
madonionslicer
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:07 pm Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  replies,  guys!  

It  took  me  a  while  to  figure  out  what  BBS  stood  for..  I  was  like,  'I  know  fish  eat  some  nasty  stuff  but  Big  Bull  Sh*t?  Wow!'  Anyway,  I'll  try  to  get  my  hands  on  some  Baby  Brine  Shrimp  in  Hyderabad..  

The  fry  are  in  a  3  gallon  bowl  at  present..  Will  move  them  out  once  they're  a  little  bigger..

The  little  buggers  are  still  very  umm..  still.  I  can't  really  see  any  of  them  moving..  Is  this  normal?

Will  do  the  egg  yolk  thing  tomorrow..  Thanks  for  the  directions  Subhankar..  I  was  having  nightmares  of  making  tiny  omlettes..   Chuckle  

I  had  one  more  question..  Assuming  this  batch  makes  it  though  successfully,  will  they  all  look  like  their  parents?  Both  parents  were  pretty  similarly  coloured..  Could  I  potentially  have  another  dozen  that  look  the  same  as  the  parents  or  do  different  colours  come  about  by  way  of  genes  or  corduroys  whatever?   Very Happy     

Cheers!
alpha91

PostPosted: Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:22 pm Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Hi  madonionslicer
 I  would  suggest  you  get  a  tank  for  them  rather  than  a  bowl  Smile  It  is  Very  normal  that  the  fry  are  not  moving.  They  stay  motionless  most  of  the  times...  
 Betta  genetics  is  a  different  ball  game  altogether...  Can  you  post  pics  of  the  parents?  Cannot  comment  unless  you  show  the  pics...
madonionslicer
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 22, 2009 11:10 am Post subject: Re: Looking after Betta fry Reply with quote

Hey  guys,

I've  put  up  a  few  pics.  I  added  some  infusoria  but  they  look  a  LOT  bigger  than  the  fry..  They're  just  bouncing  all  over  the  place  and  the  fry  haven't  tried  to  eat  them..  

Also,  can  mosquito  larvae  attack  the  fry?  I'm  wondering.

I  added  some  crumbled  egg  yolk  too  but  they  didn't  even  come  near  it..  I've  put  up  some  pics  of  the  parents  too..  Please  take  a  look.

http://picasaweb.google.com/Dhruv.Shanker/BettaBreedingAttempt1?feat=directlink
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Breeding & Fry Care All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: