186. Guest
187. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,006
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,006

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,836

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - p.denisonni and tetras with angels??
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

p.denisonni and tetras with angels??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vpul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:33 pm Post subject: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

I  currently  have  9  fully  grown  angels  in  my  4  foot  tank,  for  my  proposed  5  footer  planted  tank  I  had  previously  planned  on  keeping  6  P.  denisonni,  30  rummy  nose  tetras  and  30  Harlequin  rasboras  along  with  shrimps  and  otos,  but  my  dad  does  not  want  to  let  go  of  the  angels  Sad  ,  so  is  it  possible  to  keep  them  as  well.  I  know  it  will  mean  reducing  the  quantity  considerably,  but  are  they  compatible??
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 4:59 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Hi,

P.  denisonni,shrimps  and  otos  are  gonna  be  excellent  tank  mates  for  your  angels...  but  if  your  angels  r  of  full  size  maybe  u  might  miss  few  of  those  rummy  nose  tetras  &  Harlequin  rasboras  every  morning.  Proper  hiding  places  for  these  small  tank  mates  might  help  'em  to  survive.

GOOD  LUCK..
vpul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

thanks  for  the  reply....which  tetra  variety  could  I  add  in  that  case?  I  am  looking  for  tight  schooling  fish  suitable  for  planted  tanks,  attractive  colors  would  definitely  be  a  plus  but  is  not  necesary
vpul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:35 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

and  did  I  mention  that  there  are  two  breeding  pairs  as  well,  possibly  3  Sad   would  that  pose  difficulties?
orca
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:52 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Angels  will  attack  otos  and  shrimps.  other  fishes  that  you  have  mentioned  should  do  fine  with  the  Angels.
vpul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 6:54 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Hmmm...now  Im  seriously  confused!!  those  are  two  exactly  opposite  replies  that  I  just  received.  Surprised
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:05 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

I  have  kept  neon  tetras  and  ottos  with  angels  sucessfuly  without  any  losses.  The  trick  is  to  have  a  densely  planted  tanks  with  lots  of  hiding  places.  Also,  introduce  the  school  of  tetras  atleast  3-4  weeks  before  the  angels  to  let  them  get  established.  The  part  that  will  make  the  most  difference  to  you  is  :  introduce  only  young  angels  of  a  size  where  they  cannot  possibly  eat  the  tetras.  As  they  grow,  they  will  get  used  to  the  teras  being  there  and  not  see  them  as  food.  Since  your  angels  are  fuly  grown,  this  might  be  hard.
Rana
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Dennisoni  and  Full  grown  Rasboras  will  stay  along  with  your  Angels  but  not  sure  about  rummy  nose.

Shrimps  will  have  tough  time  with  angels  Very Happy  

Not  sure  about  Ottos.

Other  varieties  you  may  consider  are  Serpae  or  similar  (hyphessobrycon  species).   

Regards
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SuPro
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 1:10 am Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

hi  vpul,

I  am  no  expert,  what  i  said  before  is  from  my  experience...  i've  kept  full  grown  angels  myself  &  they  r  quite  easy  to  keep  n  breed.  

Dennisoni,Ottos  -  excellent  tank  mates  as  i  said  it  before.
 Shrimp  -   i've  kept  ghost  shrimps  with  my  5  angels  with  no  prob.  in  my  2  footer  tank;  pls  do  provide  'em  some  shade..  a  driftwood  or  a  well  planted  Corner.  

There  is  no  doubt  ab't  'em  eating  small  fishes  that  they  can  consume...from  my  exp..  i  tried  n  failed.

Another  imp.  thing   -  add  your  angels  at  last  into  your  new  tank  after  a  while  say  after  5  to  10  min.
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:49 am Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Which  shrimps  u  want  to  keep  to  keep  with  angles?
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 10:14 am Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Fully  Grown  angels  that  too  with  3  breeding  pair  in  the  group,  is  a  very  unpredictable  situation..  the  breeding  pairs  would  not  only  cause  problem  to  others,  but  there  is  high  chances  that  they  would  also  fight  with  other  angles  in  the  group  if  they  decide  to  spawn...

P.denisonii  would  work  fine..  however  there  are  lots  of  chances  that  shrimps  would  not  survive...Ottos  may  get  bullied  too,  specifically  when  the  pairs  spawn..

If  I  were  you,  I  would  keep  only  Ottos  (keep  them  watched),  6  p.denisonii  and  9  Angels...  anything  more  than  this,  you  are  going  to  overstock..  which  would  cause  insecurity  to  angels  when  they  decide  to  breed...  which  would  result  in  aggression...
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 11:33 am Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

vpul  wrote  (View  Post):                
I  currently  have  9  fully  grown  angels  in  my  4  foot  tank,  for  my  proposed  5  footer  planted  tank...                  

Hi  Vpul,
 How  big  would  your  new  tank  be?  5footer  seems  nice  to  hear  but  what  are  its  L?XB?
 If  you  could  go  with  5ftX2.5ft{or  3ft}X2ft  Thumb Up  ¬†Thumb Up  that  might  seem  a  good  bet  for  your  stock  selection.  Ofcourse  with  loads  of  plants.

Thumb Up  To  survive  your  ottos:  get  some  nice  bushy  foreground,  tennelus/blyxa/dwarf  saggitaria  +  rock  crevices.

Thumb Up  To  survive  your  shrimp:  have  loads  of  moss  for  them  to  hide,  specifically  at  the  tank  corners  or  along  the  woods  and  rocks.

Thumb Up  To  survive  your  tetras:  have  loads  of  stem  plants  rotala.sp/ambulia.sp/limnophilia.sp

Thumb Up  To  keep  your  angels  calm:  give  them  far  away  breeding  sites,  especially  giant  amazon  swords  like  Echinodorus  amazonicus/ozlet  etc,

Hope  that  gives  you  a  decent  idea  to  tackle  your  situation.

IME  neons  would  be  a  NO  bro,  just  compare  the  mouth  size  of  the  adult  angel  and  neon  tetra.  You  surely  wouldnt  want  to  experiment  Thumb Down  ¬†anything  size  that  can  be  gulped  by  angels.

Goodluck  and  do  get  a  bigger  tank  if  possible.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 2:59 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

provide  plenty  of  hiding  places  for  the  shrimps..fully  grown  angels  may  occasionally  chase  small  fishes  like  rummy  nose  and  your  harlequins..i  guess  a  5foot  tank  would  solve  the  problem..u  plan  to  add  any  plants  to  your  tank?
alpha91

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

vpul  wrote  (View  Post):                
thanks  for  the  reply....which  tetra  variety  could  I  add  in  that  case?  I  am  looking  for  tight  schooling  fish  suitable  for  planted  tanks,  attractive  colors  would  definitely  be  a  plus  but  is  not  necesary                

You  could  try  Red  Eye  tetras.Just  saw  a  BIG  lot  at  the  LFS  here,they  are  schooling  very  well  in  a  small  tank.  Big  tank  with  Angels  should  definitely  make  them  school  Smile
vpul
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Sep 29, 2009 6:48 pm Post subject: Re: p.denisonni and tetras with angels?? Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  the  replies,  two  of  the  angels  pairs  have  been  laying  eggs  quite  frequently  in  my  present  tank,  a  4  x  1.5  x1.5  tank  and  they  get  really  aggressive  after  that.  I  currently  have  around  12  Buenos  Aires  tetras  (which  BTW  are  a  really  bad  option  for  a  planted  tank,  as  I  found  out  to  my  dismay  Sad  )in  the  tank  along  with  the  stock  of  angels  and  a  couple  of  corries  as  well.  The  new  tank  Im  planning  is  a  5  x  1.5  x  2  feet  tank,  M  planning  to  make  it  a  heavily  planted  one  with  CO2,  ADA  soil  and  the  works.  Shrimps  I  realize  would  be  a  bad  option  with  angels,  am  slightly  confused  about  Ottos.  Fully  grown  harlequin  Rasboras  might  be  able  to  make  it,  what  say?  

the  other  option  I  have  is  to  give  these  away  and  get  around  6  small  angels  along  with  the  above  mentioned  stock,  but  this  would  require  a  lot  of  convincing  and  my  dad  is  not  an  easy  man  to  convince  Smile  

Any  other  Tetra  options  that  are  open  to  me??  and  what  else  could  I  do  for  the  Algae  Crew??
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: