220. Guest
221. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,799

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:46 am Post subject: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

I  had  posted  these  questions  on  the  forum  for  beginners.  I'm  resending  the  questions  on  this  forum  because  I'm  sure  the  questions  in  my  self  intro  post  will  get  drowned  in  all  the  other  self  intro  posts  that  are  coming  in.  J  

I  recently  joined  IAH.  I  consider  myself  a  beginner  in  the  aquarium  hobby.  I'm  planning  to  remodel  my  tank  into  a  planted  one.  The  tank  dimensions  are  36"  x  15"  x  18".  I'm  requesting  IAH  members  to  provide  guidance  on  the  steps  that  I  must  follow.  I  have  read  a  lot  of  threads  in  the  forum  on  planted  tanks  but  I  have  not  been  able  to  formulate  the  process  that  I  must  follow.

This  what  I  have  in  mind  for  the  first  couple  of  months:

-  Give  each  type  of  plant  time  to  reach  a  respectable  size  before  adding  new  plants.
 -  Set  up  all  the  flora  before  adding  fish.
 -  Add  plants  that  can  stand  difficult  tank  conditions:  no  added  CO2,  indirect  sunlight  during  the  day,  indirect  tube-light  for  a  few  hours  of  the  evening.
 -  Don't  use  substrate.  Use  rocks  and  pieces  of  pottery  to  anchor  plants.
 -  Add  fish  that  can  adapt  to  these  conditions  and  that  will  not  destroy  the  flora.
 -  Ramp  up  to  the  maximum  number  and  variety  of  fish  that  the  tank  can  sustain.

These  are  the  questions  that  I  have  about  implementing  my  plan  for  the  first  couple  of  months:

-  What  model  of  filter/pump  and  heater  should  I  buy?
 -  What  type  of  aquatic  plants  can  live  in  the  conditions  that  I  have  described?
 -  In  what  order  should  I  start  planting  plants?
 -  What  signs  of  disease  should  I  watch  out  for  after  adding  each  type  of  plant?
 -  What  is  the  best  source  for  these  plants  in  terms  of  price  and  availability?

I  have  the  same  questions  about  fish  that  I  can  add  in  the  tank.

For  the  moment,  my  focus  is  on  functionality.  Aesthetic  appeal  can  come  later.  The  long  term  plan  is  to  add  DIY  CO2  and  a  hood  or  canopy  with  in-built  tube-lights.  I  might  be  able  to  add  new  types  of  fish  by  reducing  the  number  of  fish  added  in  the  first  two  months.

Thank  you  for  taking  the  time  to  read  all  of  this.  Replies  to  my  questions  are  very  welcome.  If  there  are  multiple  threads  that  together  answer  my  questions,  then  please  send  me  the  links  to  those  threads.

Thank  you!
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 11:58 am Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

Starting  a  new  planted  tank  is  different  from  starting  a  new  unplanted  tank.  Smile  
 In  a  unplanted  tank,  you  take  it  slow,  start  by  adding  a  few  fish,  wait  for  tank  to  cycle,  however  this  approach  will  not  work  for  a  planted  tank.
 You  need  a  substrate  to  have  a  good  efficient  planted  tank.  Even  normal  gravel  with  partciles  between  2-3  mm  will  do.
 You  need  lighting  also,  at  least  1.5  to  3w  per  gallon.
 It  is  better  to  inrtoduce  CO2  form  the  begining,  dity  co2  can  be  used.
 Tank  needs  to  be  planted  heavily,  at  least  80-85%  of  surface  should  be  covered  with  plants.
 In  absence  of  adequate  quantity  of  plants,  you  will  get  algae.
 Use  low  light  sturdy  plants  like  echinodorus  species,  stem  plants  like  ludwiga  etc.
 Add   fish  after  20-25  days.
 Please  read  following  two  links.

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4666

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4772

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=4712
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 9:14 pm Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

Vicky01  wrote  (View  Post):                

-  Give  each  type  of  plant  time  to  reach  a  respectable  size  before  adding  new  plants.
 -  Set  up  all  the  flora  before  adding  fish.
 -  Add  plants  that  can  stand  difficult  tank  conditions:  no  added  CO2,  indirect  sunlight  during  the  day,  indirect  tube-light  for  a  few  hours  of  the  evening.
 -  Don't  use  substrate.  Use  rocks  and  pieces  of  pottery  to  anchor  plants.
 -  Add  fish  that  can  adapt  to  these  conditions  and  that  will  not  destroy  the  flora.
 -  Ramp  up  to  the  maximum  number  and  variety  of  fish  that  the  tank  can  sustain.

-  Need  minimum  3-4  hours  of  direct  sunlight  or  4-5  hours  of  tube  light  fixed  close  to  the  water  surface  for  plants  to  grow.  In  diffused  light  plants  will  not  grow.

-  Need  substrate  to  grow  plants,  if  you  are  looking  for  low  cost  substrate  the  best  option  is  to  use  fertile  garden  soil  topped  by  river  sand.  Problem  with  this  type  of  setup  is,  it  is  not  possible  to  pull  out  the  plants  and  re-arrange  them  often.  

If  you  use  only  sand  which  is  an  inert  substrate  additional  nutrients  need  to  be  dosed.

-   It  is  better  to  source  all  plants  do  the  planting  in  one  go,  most  planted  tanks  will  go  through  an  algae  phase  and  clear  up.  If  you  keep  adding  plants  at  different  times  from  different  sources  you  will  be  introducing  new  algae  each  time.  

-  You  can  keep  common  aquarium  fish  in  a  planted  tank  :  mollies,  tetras,  angel  fish.  Add  some  cheap  fish  like  guppies,  mollies  when  you  start  a  new  planted  tank  then  add  more  fish  only  after  6-8  weeks  when  the  tank  has  cycled.  

Vicky01  wrote  (View  Post):                

These  are  the  questions  that  I  have  about  implementing  my  plan  for  the  first  couple  of  months:

-  What  model  of  filter/pump  and  heater  should  I  buy?
 -  What  type  of  aquatic  plants  can  live  in  the  conditions  that  I  have  described?
 -  In  what  order  should  I  start  planting  plants?
 -  What  signs  of  disease  should  I  watch  out  for  after  adding  each  type  of  plant?
 -  What  is  the  best  source  for  these  plants  in  terms  of  price  and  availability?

-  If  you  are  not  using  DIY  CO2  don't  buy  any  "filter"  at  all  for  a  planted  tank,  main  reason  lots  of  "beginner"  planted  tanks  fail  is,  they  all  buy  high  powered  filter!   If  we  keep  the  number  of  fish  optimum  there  is  no  need  for  filter  in  planted  tank  when  keeping  small  aquarium  fish  and  do  weekly  50%  water  change  and  100%  water  change  once  a  month.  

Filter  is  needed  to  keep  larger  fish  like  Oscars,  Flowerhorns  etc  these  fish  are  not  normally  kept  in  planted  aquariums.

-  Heater  is  required  only  if  you  keep  cold  sensitive  fish  like  neon  tetras,  keeping  common  fish  like  mollies,  guppies,  angel  fish  don't  need  heater  in  Bangalore.  

-  If  you  are  a  beginner  start  with  common  plants  like  Vallisneria,  Amazon  swords,  Ludwigia,  Cryptocoryne  etc

-  Get  maximum  amount  of  plants  you  can  get  and  plant  in  one  go,   there  are  many  reasons  for  this,  one  i  have  mentioned  above,  read  IAH  for  more  info.

-  Getting  plants  in  good  quantity  in  Bangalore  is  difficult,  there  are  many  aquarium  shops  that  keep  plants  but  you  don't  get  all  types  of  plants  on  regular  basis.
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Mon Nov 02, 2009 10:40 pm Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

Sandeep  and  Maxv,  your  responses  tell  me  why  IAH  is  experiencing  an  exponential  growth  in  membership.  You’re  the  best!   Smile  

I’m  adding  my  comments  to  your  responses:

“You  need  a  substrate  to  have  a  good  efficient  planted  tank.  Even  normal  gravel  with  partciles  between  2-3  mm  will  do.
 You  need  lighting  also,  at  least  1.5  to  3w  per  gallon.”
 I’m  adding  this  to  my  list.  I  have  other  comments  about  substrate,  which  I  will  include  later.

“It  is  better  to  inrtoduce  CO2  form  the  begining,  dity  co2  can  be  used.”
 To  be  very  honest  I’m  a  little  apprehensive  about  using  CO2  of  any  kind.  I  went  through  a  lot  of  posts  about  CO2  sources.  The  DIY  kind  seems  messy  and  the  cylinder  setup  sounds  like  it  will  require  a  good  amount  of  space  and  money.  Can’t  I  achieve  a  balance  between  number  of  fish  and  number  of  plants  in  the  tank?  The  output  of  the  will  feed  the  plants  and  vice  versa.  One  of  the  posts  I  read  gave  me  the  impression  that  this  can  be  done.  

“Tank  needs  to  be  planted  heavily,  at  least  80-85%  of  surface  should  be  covered  with  plants.
 In  absence  of  adequate  quantity  of  plants,  you  will  get  algae.”
 Got  it,  this  point  will  definitely  go  to  the  top  of  my  list.  The  tank  is  going  to  be  placed  in  a  slightly  difficult  to  access  place  in  my  hall.  I  would  have  to  be  a  contortionist  to  continuously  maintain  an  algae  infested  tank.

“Use  low  light  sturdy  plants  like  echinodorus  species,  stem  plants  like  ludwiga  etc.”
 Are  these  names  that  an  LFS  owner  would  recognize?  Also  are  there  guidelines  on  things  to  do  before  adding  a  new  plant.  For  e.g.  I  have  read  that  some  hobbyists  quarantine  new  plants  for  a  couple  of  weeks  before  adding  them  to  their  tank.

“Add   fish  after  20-25  days.”
 Got  it!  This  will  go  into  my  list.

“Please  read  following  two  links.”
 Trevor  Menezes  is  amazing.  Folks  like  him  and  you  guys  keep  this  site  rocking.  I’m  new  to  the  concept  of  a  “sticky”.  If  it’s  the  same  as  an  archive  that’s  readily  accessible  by  all  then  my  vote  is  for  making  stickies  out  of  all  three  posts.

“Need  minimum  3-4  hours  of  direct  sunlight  or  4-5  hours  of  tube  light  fixed  close  to  the  water  surface  for  plants  to  grow.  In  diffused  light  plants  will  not  grow.”
 4  to  5  hours  of  tube  light  can  be  arranged.  This  is  now  an  item  in  my  list.

“Need  substrate  to  grow  plants,  if  you  are  looking  for  low  cost  substrate  the  best  option  is  to  use  fertile  garden  soil  topped  by  river  sand.  Problem  with  this  type  of  setup  is,  it  is  not  possible  to  pull  out  the  plants  and  re-arrange  them  often.”
 I’m  thinking  of  both  options—a  gravel  based  substrate  and  garden  soil  topped  by  river  sand  kept  in  small  earthen  pots.  I  already  have  gravel  that  I  used  some  time  ago  in  the  same  tank.  I  don’t  know  what  it’s  called.  It’s  multi-colored  and  dissolves  (yes!)  a  little  bit  when  it’s  left  in  water  for  a  long  time.  I’m  not  sure  if  I  can  use  it  at  all.

“If  you  use  only  sand  which  is  an  inert  substrate  additional  nutrients  need  to  be  dosed.”
 I’ll  keep  this  in  mind.  I  might  not  go  for  sand  at  all.

“It  is  better  to  source  all  plants  do  the  planting  in  one  go,  most  planted  tanks  will  go  through  an  algae  phase  and  clear  up.  If  you  keep  adding  plants  at  different  times  from  different  sources  you  will  be  introducing  new  algae  each  time.”
 Good  point!  I  didn’t  think  of  this  at  all.

“You  can  keep  common  aquarium  fish  in  a  planted  tank  :  mollies,  tetras,  angel  fish.  Add  some  cheap  fish  like  guppies,  mollies  when  you  start  a  new  planted  tank  then  add  more  fish  only  after  6-8  weeks  when  the  tank  has  cycled.”
 My  thoughts  match  yours.  J  I  was  planning  to  start  with  mollies  and  platies.  The  final  set  of  fish  would  be  two  types  of  angels  and  at  least  two  types  of  tetras.  At  that  stage  one  breeding  pair  of  any  kind  of  fish  would  convince  me  that  tank  is  a  success.

“If  you  are  not  using  DIY  CO2  don't  buy  any  "filter"  at  all  for  a  planted  tank,  main  reason  lots  of  "beginner"  planted  tanks  fail  is,  they  all  buy  high  powered  filter!   If  we  keep  the  number  of  fish  optimum  there  is  no  need  for  filter  in  planted  tank  when  keeping  small  aquarium  fish  and  do  weekly  50%  water  change  and  100%  water  change  once  a  month.”
 I  had  something  similar  in  mind.  I’ll  keep  a  pump  running  at  night  when  both  fish  and  plants  need  oxygen.  

“Filter  is  needed  to  keep  larger  fish  like  Oscars,  Flowerhorns  etc  these  fish  are  not  normally  kept  in  planted  aquariums.”
 Got  it.

“Heater  is  required  only  if  you  keep  cold  sensitive  fish  like  neon  tetras,  keeping  common  fish  like  mollies,  guppies,  angel  fish  don't  need  heater  in  Bangalore.”
 I’m  not  so  sure  about  this.  Bangalore  goes  through  some  spikes  in  cold  weather.  I  lost  my  first  two  fighters  to  just  such  a  spike.  If  I  do  go  for  heater,  what  would  be  the  optimum  temperature  for  both  the  plants  and  fish?

“If  you  are  a  beginner  start  with  common  plants  like  Vallisneria,  Amazon  swords,  Ludwigia,  Cryptocoryne  etc”
 I’ll  keep  this  mind.  I’m  hoping  LFS  folks  will  recognize  these  names.

“Get  maximum  amount  of  plants  you  can  get  and  plant  in  one  go,   there  are  many  reasons  for  this,  one  i  have  mentioned  above,  read  IAH  for  more  info."
 Done!

“Getting  plants  in  good  quantity  in  Bangalore  is  difficult,  there  are  many  aquarium  shops  that  keep  plants  but  you  don't  get  all  types  of  plants  on  regular  basis."
 I’m  going  to  try  my  luck  with  this  one.

Thanks  again  for  your  replies,  Sandeep  and  Maxv!
Maxv
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 8:09 am Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

"garden  soil  topped  by  river  sand  kept  in  small  earthen  pots"  

Keeping  plants  in  the  pots  will  spoil  the  aquarium  look  unless  you  hide  it  well  behind  some  drift  wood,  better  go  for  standard  setup  will  look  better.   The  way  to  use  garden  soil   is  to  spread  it  as  bottom  layer  1"  high,  leave  2"  gap  on  all  sides,  then  cover  it  with  sand   2-3"  high,  this  way  the  soil  will  not  be  visible  through  the  glass,  it  will  look  as  if  there  is  only  sand.  

In  a  setup  using  garden  soil  "never  pull  out"  a  plant  after  you  plant  them,  if  you  want  to  remove  a  plant,   cut  it  off  close  to  the  sand,  then  push  the  stub  below  the  sand.     

"I’ll  keep  a  pump  running  at  night  when  both  fish  and  plants  need  oxygen."

If  by  pump,  what  you  mean  is  air  pump,  never  buy  an  air  pump  for  a  planted  tank,  using  air  pump  in  planted  tank,   another  big  reason  why  lots  of  beginner  planted  tanks  fail.  If  there  are  growing  plants  in  the  tank  it  will  produce  enough  oxygen  for  the  fish,  oxygen  and  CO2  both  dissolve  through  the  water  surface  as  well.  

"To  be  very  honest  I’m  a  little  apprehensive  about  using  CO2  of  any  kind.  I  went  through  a  lot  of  posts  about  CO2  sources.  The  DIY  kind  seems  messy"  

There  is  nothing  messy  about  DIY  CO2  setup  if  done  right:  200-300  L/hr  Internal  filter  with  option  for  air  intake,  2  liter  coke/pepsi  bottle,  air  line  tube,  super  glue,  1/2  cup  of  sugar,  2  pinches  of  yeast,  1  pinch  of  baking  soda.  It  takes  only  5  minutes  to  replace  the  mixture  once  every  2  weeks.  The  best  position  to  keep  the  filter  is  at  the  back  of  the  tank  near  bottom  corner,  outlet  facing  front  glass,  so  that  the  water  flow  hits  the  front  glass  makes  CO2  bubbles  hang  in  the  water  for  more  time,  also  creates  a  circular  water  flow  in  the  tank.

"I’m  not  so  sure  about  this.  Bangalore  goes  through  some  spikes  in  cold  weather.  I  lost  my  first  two  fighters  to  just  such  a  spike.  If  I  do  go  for  heater,  what  would  be  the  optimum  temperature  for  both  the  plants  and  fish?  "

When  we  run  aquarium  lights  for  4-5  hours  in  a  planted  tank  close  to  the  surface,  the  water  will  get  warmed  up,   enough  to  keep  common  aquarium  fish  in  Bangalore.

-  Good  lighting  is  key  to  planted  aquarium,  need  2  to  2.5  watts  per  gallon  of  water.  I  am  getting  good  result  with  T5HO  tube  lights.

-  Another  key  point  is,  most  planted  tanks  will  go  through  an  algae  phase  1-2  months  after  setup,  the  way  to  fix  it  is  to  do  blackout  for  5  days  (read  IAH  for  more  info)  and  then  do  100%  water  change.  Get  1-2  liters  water  from  an  established  algae  free  tank  and  add  it  to  your  tank,  this  will  bring  in  beneficial  micro  organisms  that  feed  on  algae  and  your  tank  will  clear  up.   Also  Keep  algae  eating  fish  like  Otocinclus  (easy  to  source),  Siamese  Algae  Eater.
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:15 am Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

Use  of  garden  soil  is  tricky,  and  in  my  opinion  not  fit  for  someone  starting  their  first  planted  tank.
 In  the  beginning  it  is  very  hard  to  get  the  landscaping  that  you  want,  and  any  uprooting  of  plant  will  play  havoc  with  your  tank.
 Further  the  soil  should  be  free  of  any  terrestrial  based  fertilizers;  they  are  mainly  ammonia  based  fertilizers,  which  are  deadly  for  aquatic  organisms.
 I  have  kept  plants  in  both  type  of  substrates  and  in  my  opinion  a  beginner  should  steer  clear  of  soil  based  substrates.
 As  he  gains  experience  he  can  always  try  soil  based  substrates.
 A  regular  aquarium  gravel  of  particle  size  2-3  mm  is  good  enough  for  most  low  light  tanks.
 Some  form  is  filteration  is  required  in  any  tank,  filters  not  only  remoce  polutants  they  also  provide  movement  of  water.
 Movement  of  water  is  necesseary  as  plants  are  stationery  unlike  fish,  and  need  to  get  nutrients  etc.  at  their  place  of  planting.
 As  far  as  availability  of  plants,  information,  etc.  is  concerned,  Bangalore/Chennai  are  one  of  the  best  places  where  you  will  get  nearly  everything.
 "Guidance  is  always  available  for  those  who  seek  it".  Very Happy
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:43 pm Post subject: Re: Need guidance on setting up a low-tech planted aquarium Reply with quote

Maxv  and  Sandeep,

Thanks  again  for  your  inputs.  I  can  tell  that  my  planted  tank  project  will  require  some  more  thought.

I  don’t  have  major  aquascaping  in  mind  for  the  moment.  My  plan  is  to  anchor  plants  so  that  as  little  as  possible  substrate  is  used.  I’m  ready  to  use  garden  soil  as  long  as  there’s  very  little  risk  of  the  soil  polluting  the  water.  Plants  in  pots  seem  to  be  the  way  to  go.  

DIY  CO2  suddenly  doesn’t  sound  difficult  to  implement.  Very Happy  It  will  be  one  of  the  first  things  I  try  out  because  the  dry  run  doesn’t  have  to  happen  in  the  tank  itself.  

Good  lighting  will  be  there.  I  have  made  a  compromise  in  that  area.

I’m  still  not  sure  about  using  or  not  using  a  heater.  Let  me  start  without  a  heater.  The  weather  in  December  will  provide  direction.

I  plan  to  use  a  filter  in  the  “water-mover”  mode.  It  will  not  create  bubbles,  just  move  the  water  around  the  tank  and  pull  in  floating  debris.

I’m  facing  a  setback  at  the  moment:  lack  of  support  from  the  others  at  home.  I  have  been  asked  to  replace  my  3-footer  with  a  smaller  tank  if  I  want  to  take  the  planted  route.  This  might  be  a  blessing  in  disguise  because  a  smaller  tank  will  be  more  manageable.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: