229. Guest
230. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,814

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - expecting molly.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

expecting molly.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Live Bearers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:23 pm Post subject: expecting molly. Reply with quote

I  bought  some  molly  and  lfs  told  me  they  are  pregnant  (because  bellies  swollen  and  search  on  google  Very Happy  ).  i  have  4  molly  fish  3  to  1  female  to  male  in  a  bowl  of  1x1  ft  with  air  sponge  filter.

the  3  females  are  pregnant  ones...  Thumb Up  

please  tell  me  what  food  to  be  prepared  and  any  precautions  for  the  adult  and  fry  to  live  safely  and  happily.
 i  do  have  some  vallis  plant  as  told  by  lfs  in  it.  feedings  are  soaked  pellets(morning)  and  freeze  dried  tubiflex(evening).

do  the  females  need  to  be  shifted  or  not?

pls  guide  any  necessary  informations  as  dont  want  to  lose  fry  Sad
humaid
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Dec 04, 2009 7:43 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

1ft  cube  would  be  too  small  for  mollies.  to  save  the  fry,  put  in  some  rocks  and  plants.
 Feeding,  you  can  try  crushed  flakes.
Jithu
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:54 am Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

You  can  also  try  boiled  egg  yolks.
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 4:05 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

thanx  for  help  Humaid  and  Jithu.

one  issue  ..do  i  move  the  females  in  other  bucket  of  water  say  10  lts  for  them  to  deliever  safely?

and  what  time  should  i  put  them  back  ?
sandeepraghuvanshi

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:17 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

Moving  a  molly  which  is  about  to  give  birth  is  not  a  very  good  idea,  it  can  loose  brood  if  stressed.
 Let  them  remain  in  the  tank,  keep  them  feeding,  so  that  they  are  not  hungry  and  eat  fry.
 Keep  checking  for  fry  and  as  soon  as  you  see  them,  seperate  the  fry.
biswadeb
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 05, 2009 6:34 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

HI  Gurpeet,
   Adding  the  valisneria  plant  would  be  help  ful  as  it  will  help  with  water  conditions  as  it  is  a  small  tank,  provide  hiding  places  for  the  fry,  keep  the  adults  at  ease.  apart  from  that,  small  frequent  feeds  to  keep  the  parents  from  eating  the  fry,  and  shifting  out  the  fry  as  soon  as  they  are  born  would  help.  You  can  keep  the  fry  in  a  small  tub,  provided  you  do  regular  (alternate  days)  water  changes  as  it  would  not  have  a  filter  and  feed  with  crushed  flakes.

Regards,
 Biswadeb
dudei
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:40 am Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

Hi  GURPREET,
      If  you  really  wanna  experience   molly  birth  u  need  to  prepare  a  tank  specially  for  it  atleast  1.5feetx1feet  Bigger  tanks  will  help  them  grow  faster  and  keep  water  parameter  stable  so  less  fry  will  die.   Normally  3"  molly  will  give  appox  40-50  fry  so  u  need  a  bigger  tank  to  keep  so  many  fry'swhich  will  help  u  keep  the  tank  clean  (  due  to  uneaten  food  and  poo  ).  

Food:  You  can  feed  them  crushed  flakes  or  boiled  egg  yolk  in  very  very  small  quantity(  it  will  make  your  water  dirty  but  its  a  good  food).  3  times  a  day.

Water  quality:  Keep  the  water  clean  by  using  a  sponge  filter  or  by  doing  regular   50%  water  change  every  week  and  more  frequent  after  the  fry  are  more  than  20-25  days  to  help  them  grow  faster.  

My  tips  for  you  are
 1>  You  need  to  keep  your  fry  for  atleast  3  months  before  you  can  keep  them  with  adult  fry  so  they  are  not  eaten.
 2>  less   25%  of  the  fry  will  survive  this  journey  to  adulthood.  so  don't  worry  abt  fry  dying  in  2  weeks  after  birth.

Check  out  my   video   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeFDHlEcAs0

Thanks,
 Arvind
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

many  thanks  to  sandeep,  Biswadeb,  Arvind  for  your  valuable  inputs.  Clapping  
 will  implement  your  guides  for  successful  raising  of  the  fry.

one  thing  more  what  should  be  the  ideal  temprature  for  raising  of  fry?
dudei
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 07, 2009 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

It  should  be  around  21°C  -  28°C   but  since  its  winter  in  Delhi  the  temperature  can  go  below  this  level   so  you  should  keep  a  heater  as  per  your  tank  size  to  maintain  a  constant  temp.

Thanks,
 Arvind
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 3:57 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

thanks  Arvind  for  help.  will  keep  heater  at  26.

but  my  female  fish  are  disinterested  in  food  now  and  eat  less  but  male  is  fine  having  a  party  of  leftovers.

what  should  be  done  to  make  them  eat  and  live  healthy  as  their  time  is  crucial..   Very Happy  
 and  should  i  remove  male  to  other  tank?
dudei
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:25 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

This  is  normal  to  eat  less  dont  worry  abt  that.  Try  to  give  live  worms  if  you  can.  Also  you  should  move  them  to  breeding  tank   as  soon  as  you  can.

Thanks,
 Arvind
aquamate
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 11, 2009 7:53 pm Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

Congratulations  on  your  Molly  being  in  the  family  way  Smile
 Hope  the  following  info  helps.

I  am  a  newbie  and  I  wouldn't  be  able  to  give  you  any  expert  advice.  But  my  Golden  Molly  just  delivered  70  (!)  fry  a  week  ago  so  I  thought  I'd  share  whatever  little  I  know  about  the  Molly-delivery  event.  I  had  also  read  quite  a  bit  about  the  same  during  the  time;  some  of  the  information  may  be  of  help  to  you.  Of  course,  I  would  be  grateful  if  the  moderators  and  experts  would  add  their  feedback.

As  the  time  of  birthing  approached,  we  noticed  our  Molly  becoming  increasing  restless.  She  would  swim  up  and  down  the  walls  of  the  tank.  The  other  fish  had  somehow  sensed  the  arrival  of  the  fry  and  were  following  her  around  so  that  they  would  be  able  to  eat  them!

Mollys  birth  at  night.  We  didn't  move  our  Molly  to  a  birthing  tank  because  unless  done  expertly  and  at  the  right  time,  the  Molly  would  stress  out  and  abort  her  delivery.  We  were  lucky  to  actually  observe  the  birthing  process;  it's  quite  an  experience!  At  regular  intervals,  she  would  drop  what  looked  like  small  balls,  one  at  a  time,  which   upon  exiting,  would  unroll  into  small  fry  and  dart  into  the  safety  of  the  gravel.

Do  cover  the  floor  with  large  pebbles/marbles  to  enable  the  fry  to  hide  themselves.  In  our  tank,  the  other  fish  and  their  mother  were  frantically  searching  for  them  to  eat  them.  The  fry  who  made  the  mistake  of  coming  out  and  swimming  to  the  top  were  gobbled  up  by  them  in  front  of  our  eyes!  Sad  
 I  would  prefer  pebbles  or  marbles  on  the  floor  instead  of  small  sized  gravel  because  the  next  morning  you  might  want  to  transfer  the  fry  into  another  tank.  Removing  small  sized  gravel  carefully  without  hurting  the  fry  becomes  difficult  and  more  time-consuming.  

Mollys  are  supposed  to  do  better  with  some  salt  in  the  tank  and  adding  a  bit  of  salt  (3  tsp  per  5  gallons)  does  help  in  creating  conditions  conducive  for  birthing.  I  observed  this  in  the  case  of  my  own  Molly  because  the  tank  in  which  she  birthed  had  some  salt  in  it.  On  the  morning  following  her  delivery,  we  transferred  her  and  the  other  fish  into  another  tank,  to  avoid  them  eating  the  fry.  This  did  not  have  any  salt  in  it.  She  still  had  a  lot  of  fry  left  inside  her,  which  we  thought  she'd  deliver  the  following  night.  But  this  did  not  happen.  The  next  day,  we  added  some  salt  to  the  tank  and  the  same  night  she  delivered  the  rest  of  the  fry.

As  mentioned  above,  the  Molly  may  take  a  break  of  upto  one-two  days  to  release  all  her  fry.  After  that,  she  immediately  regains  her  original  'figure'  and  it's  difficult  to  believe  that  she  was  so  gloriously  pregnant  just  a  few  hours  ago!  It's  amazing!

The  new  mother  is  sometimes  weakened  by  the  birthing  process.  Our  Molly  developed  Ich-like  white  spots  the  next  day  (Mollys  are  known  to  be  more  succeptible  to  Ich  than  other  fish.)  This  resolved  within  hours  after  adding  salt  to  the  tank  and  increasing  the  temperature  to  29  degC.  Make  sure  she  has  a  cave  to  rest  in  and  the  other  fish  don't  trouble  her.  And  give  her  good  nutritious  food  like  flakes.  As  always,  ensure  pristine  water  quality.

After  delivery,  the  water  in  the  tank  may  smell  a  bit,  like  someone  poured  some  egg  yolk  into  it.  This  smell  goes  away  after  a  few  water  changes  and  is  of  no  consequence,  except  that  it  is  a  little  unpleasant!

Remove  the  fry  into  a  seperate  tank  with  a  bio-sponge  filter  to  avoid  the  fry  being  sucked  into  the  filter.  Add  air  stone  for  increased  oxygenation.  I  have  kept  the  tank  bare-bottom  to  be  able  to  observe  the  fry  better  and  for  easy  cleaning.  

You  may  have  to  do  cleaning  every  alternate  day;  my  65  odd  fry  make  quite  a  mess!  

We  feed  the  fry  fine-powdered  flakes.  When  searching  on  the  Internet,  I  found  an  easy  way  of  powdering  the  flakes:
 1.Take  fresh,  clean  plastic  bag.  You  don't  want  any  remnants  of  chilli  powder  (or  anything  that  was  kept  in  it  earlier)  mixing  with  the  flakes.
 2.  Put  3-4  tablespoons  of  flakes  in  it.
 3.  Remove  the  air  from  the  bag  and  close  it  tightly  with  a  rubber  band.
 4.  Crush  the  portion  of  the  bag  containing  the  flakes  between  the  fingers.  You  may  have  to  do  this  for  10-15  minutes  to  completely  powderize  it.
 5.  Strew  some  of  the  powder  in  the  tank  containing  the  fry.

Do  expect  however,  to  lose  some  fry,  whatever  you  do  Sad  That's  just  Nature  exercising  population  control!

Well,  that's  all  I  can  contribute  for  now.
 Smile
 aquamate
GURPREET
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:42 am Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

my  molly  gave  birth  last  night  Cheering  i  came  to  know  in  morning  and  seperated  the  fry.

Didnt  know  how  many  were  in  total  last  night.  when  i  seperated  there  were  32  of  which  10  were  dead  already  Sad  lets  see  how  many  survive.  but  two  more  pregos  are  in  line  for  nursing  Very Happy  

Thanks  aquamate  for  your  valuable  information  Thumbs Up
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:37 am Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

@aquamate

Wow,  aquamate,  that  was  a  wonderful  description.  u  write  so  empathetically  that  i  quite  enjoyed  it  even  though  i  have  been  keeping  live  bearers  since  i  was  a  school  kid  in  the  7th  standard,  and  it  is  no  longer  so  exciting  to  me.   But,  yes,  livebearers  are  excellent  fish  for  learning  some  basics  of  how  to  keep  fish  fry.  

@gurpreet

the  microworms  you  told  me  about  will  be  EXCELLENT  FOR  livebearer  fry   Very Happy  .  I  suggest  u  get  at  least  a  2  foot  tank,  if  a  tank  is  smaller  than  that  it  is  many  times  more  difficult  to  raise  fry  and  they  get  stunted  by  a  space  crunch.  And  even  in  a  2  footer,  you  will  need  to  shift  out  fry  because  mollies  need  more  space  than  othe  livebearers.  they  will  develop  'shimmies'  if  they  are  crowded.  Nowadays,  they  have  such  wonderful  colours  {red,  yellow-golden,  platinum  with  dark  spots,  platinum,  gray-black  mix},  they  are  worth  a  lot  of  trouble.  Please  take  a  few  pics,  we  will  enjoy  them  a  lot   Smile
Romi
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:46 am Post subject: Re: expecting molly. Reply with quote

@gurpreet

oops,  one  more  thing.To  save  more  fry  in  the  future,  please  get  plants  like  Water  sprite,  water  lettuce,  ceratophylum  [hornwort],  they  allow  fry  to  hide  very  easily.  These  plants  also  have  a  layer  of  microfauna  or  plankton  that  grows  on  the  plant  surface,  small  fry  like  to  eat  that  too.  

in  case  u  need  help  to  find  them,  please  contact  me   Smile
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Live Bearers All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: