66. Guest
67. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,784

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Synodontis eupterus?
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Synodontis eupterus?

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:55 am Post subject: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

I  thought  I  had  purchased  a  Synodontis  Nigriventris,  as  my  upside  down  cats.  When  they  were  little,  they  looked  like  what  S.  Nigriventris  does.  They  swam  and  stayed  upside  down  for  most  of  the  time  and  hid  for  most  of  the  day.  But  I  noticed  an  insane  growth-rate  in  them,  which  left  me  with  doubts  whether  I  had  the  right  ID  on  ths  fish.  When  I  got  a  clearer  shot  of  the  fish,  I  realized  that  I  may  behaving  the  S.  Eruptus.

Need  confirmation  on  the  same.  Here  is  a  picture.

Also  do  any  of  you  guys  have  this  fish?  Any  predatory  behavior  seen  in  them?  Read  that  it  grows  to  8-12  inches.  Anyone  has  such  a  big  one?

Last edited by Alistair on Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:13 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eruptus? Reply with quote

Synodontis  eupterus  can  be  a  PIA  because  of  their  territorial  behavior,  unless  you  keep  them  with  larger  fishes.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:31 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Nice  Syno,  Ali.
 You  know  what?  You  are  one  of  the  best  photographers  here  on  the  forum,  keep  it  up!!  Thumb Up
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

there  is  a  lot  of  difference  between  a  nigriventris  and  a  eupterus  even  when  small

anyways  the  the  above  is  for  sure  a  eupterus,  the  dorsal  kinda  gives  it  away
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:33 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

beta  wrote  (View  Post):                
Synodontis  eupterus  can  be  a  PIA  because  of  their  territorial  behavior,  unless  you  keep  them  with  larger  fishes.                

Beta,  Firstly,  thanks  for  the  correct  name.  Have  updated  the  title.  I  thought  these  were  kind  of  peaceful.  Have  you  experienced  any  agression  by  these  guys  against  any  specific  fishes.  I  am  assuming  their  primary  territorial  behaviour  would  be  against  other  bottom  dwellers.  Most  of  them  are  Botias.  As  of  now  they  spend  most  of  their  time  up-side  down  under  the  driftwood  and  forage  out  for  food  in  the  dark.  

yogoranda  wrote  (View  Post):                
Nice  Syno,  Ali.
 You  know  what?  You  are  one  of  the  best  photographers  here  on  the  forum,  keep  it  up!!  Thumb Up                

Thanks  Yogesh.  Im  truly  humbled  when  you  even  compare  me  to  the  champs  out  here.

headbanger_jib  wrote  (View  Post):                
there  is  a  lot  of  difference  between  a  nigriventris  and  a  eupterus  even  when  small

anyways  the  the  above  is  for  sure  a  eupterus,  the  dorsal  kinda  gives  it  away                

Probably  it  was  my  earlier  ignorance  when  it  comes  to  syno's  that  inclined  me  towards  believing  that  the  little  ones  were  nigriventris.  When  smaller,  these  guys  were  pretty  dark  colored,  and  the  spots  that  you  see  in  the  above  image  werent  as  distinct  (or  maybe  i  didnt  notice  since  they  hid  so  much).  I  hadnt  taken  notice  of  the  high-fin  in  the  google-image  results  for  S.  Nigriventris.  (havent  seen  a  real  nigriventris  yet).  Also  thanks  for  the  confirmation  on  the  id.  

Btw  anyone  seen  any  other  species  other  than  Eupterus  &  Nigriventris  on  the  market  lately?
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:36 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Their  aggression  is  usually  reserved  for  the  bottom  dwellers  like  you  mentioned.  That  includes  any  catfishes,  cichlids  and  some  loaches  as  well.
headbanger_jib
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jan 29, 2010 6:40 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Alistair  wrote  (View  Post):                

Beta,  Firstly,  thanks  for  the  correct  name.  Have  updated  the  title.  I  thought  these  were  kind  of  peaceful.  Have  you  experienced  any  agression  by  these  guys  against  any  specific  fishes.  I  am  assuming  their  primary  territorial  behaviour  would  be  against  other  bottom  dwellers.  Most  of  them  are  Botias.  As  of  now  they  spend  most  of  their  time  up-side  down  under  the  driftwood  and  forage  out  for  food  in  the  dark.                  

they  are  the  worst  slime  sucking  fish,  thats  the  reason  they  are  best  kept  with  a  little  more  agressive  fish,  as  when  attacked  there  is  retribution  in  waiting

i  have  seen  gold  fish  being  targeted  by  these  guys,  where  they  seem  to  damage  the  gold  fish's  eyes  first,  then  i  have  even  seen  them  troubling  mild  mannered  cichlids

Im  truly  humbled  when  you  even  compare  me  to  the  champs  out  here.                

you  are  selling  urself  quite  short  my  friend,  a  little  more  exposure  and  sharpness  and  that  picture  is  just  perfect
 great  composition  and  the  fish  is  very  well  in  the  frame  and  quite  focussed

Probably  it  was  my  earlier  ignorance  when  it  comes  to  syno's  that  inclined  me  towards  believing  that  the  little  ones  were  nigriventris.  When  smaller,  these  guys  were  pretty  dark  colored,  and  the  spots  that  you  see  in  the  above  image  werent  as  distinct  (or  maybe  i  didnt  notice  since  they  hid  so  much).  I  hadnt  taken  notice  of  the  high-fin  in  the  google-image  results  for  S.  Nigriventris.  (havent  seen  a  real  nigriventris  yet).  Also  thanks  for  the  confirmation  on  the  id.                  

Btw  anyone  seen  any  other  species  other  than  Eupterus  &  Nigriventris  on  the  market  lately?                

ocellifers
 mystus  leocaphassis

are  the  only  other  mochokidae  i  have  seen  here  in  india
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:23 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Mystus  leucophasis  is  in  Bagridae.   Razz
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Sat Jan 30, 2010 11:34 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Alistair  :  

I  have  a  single  S.euptera  with  me  now.  Had  another  one  which  was  thoroughly  harassed  by  this  guy.  He  s  with  B.almorhae,  a  Rita  chrysea,  a  Mystus  leucophasis  and  another  Syno  who  s  ID  Im  not  really  sure  of.  No  issues  as  of  now.  He  s  been  with  me  for  around  2  years.  Doesnt  bother  the  other  Syno  either.  

This  doesnt  mean  he  s  not  territorial  of  course.  Intruders  are  chased  away  quite  efficiently.  When  the  other  euptera  was  around,  he  was  quite  a  nuisance.  He  also  single  handedly  decimated  a  Mystus  who  was  as  big  as  him.  Not  aggressive  towards  all  species  but  can  be  quite  effective  if  need  be.
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 1:26 am Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Thanks  for  the  info  Jib  &  Balaji.

These  guys  sound  pretty  scary  by  your  behavioral  descriptions.  Will  keep  an  eye  on  them.  I  think  the  botia  loaches  will  manage  with  these  guys,  but  I  now  fear  for  the  bristlenose.  Had  got  4  of  them,  thinking  they  were  nigriventris.  Time  to  give  some  away.  

Btw,  saw  some  catfish  that  looked  like  some  mystus  species  in  a  LFS.  Looked  like  some  native  local  species.  Can  you  name  a  few  that  are  endemic  to  India,  and  ill  try  a  google  search  to  identify  the  guy.  I  don't  think  these  guys  would  be  imports  by  any  chance.  

Also  was  reading  about  the  Synodontis  multipunctatus  (cuckoo  catfish).  Pretty  interesting  fish.  They  and  some  close  relatives  are  said  to  be  the  only  few  brood  parasitic  fish.  Do  you  know  of  any  other  brood  parasites?
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 2:21 am Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Here  is  a  nice  video  I  found  on  the  spawning  of  the  S.  Multipunctatus.

http://www.xdeleon.com/vatoelvis/videos/SynoSpawning.wmv
Shovelnose

PostPosted: Sun Jan 31, 2010 12:22 pm Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Mystus  are  not  the  most  'appreciated'  fish  here.  Not  sure  if  an  LFS  would  stock  'em  unless  they  cater  to  a  lotta   hobbyists  or  the  fish  were  locally  caught.  Haven  seen  a  lotta  Mystus  in  LFS  down  here.  The  ones  found  here  are  :  

Mystus  leucophasis  (Quite  Common)

Mystus  vittatus  (Caught  locally)

Mystus  tengra  (Not  very  common)

If  it  doesnt  look  like  the  above,  I  would  be  very  interested  in  looking  at  a  pic.  
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Feb 01, 2010 1:57 am Post subject: Re: Synodontis eupterus? Reply with quote

Ill  visit  the  LFS  and  try  to  get  pictures,  but  it  actually  doesn't  look  like  the  above  three.  It  was  similar  to  the  Mystus  tengra,  but  the  markings  were  lighter.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: