216. Guest
217. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,800

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ??
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ??
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquarium Photography
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SNadar7
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:43 am Post subject: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Hello  Experts  

Please  help  me  procuring  a  new  camera.  I  am  looking  for  a  semi  pro  camera  with  a  super  zoom  and  shortlisted  the  above  3  models,  please  advise  which  one  should  i  go  for  as  i  read  reviews  for  all  3  and  the  confusion  is  growing:?   .  I  have  used  a  canon  IXUS  75  and  the  functions  are  userfriendly.  
 Please  throw  some  light  as  in  what  features  have  to  be  taken  into  consideration  while  buying  one.  Also  if  there  is  any  other  apart  from  these  within  a  budget  of  not  more  than  RS  30K.

(P.S  -  Best  camera  for  taking  snaps  of  my  fishes)     Confused   Confused
Anandarajkumar
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:25 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Hi  Sathish,

For  30  K  I  was  advised  that  we  could  go  for  an  entry  level  DSLR  or  a  good  used  one.  

Regards
joevimal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:40 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

p  90  is  no  match  to  SX20,  if  you  have  30  k  you  can  go  for  canon  sx20   it  is  one  of  the  best  in  its  segment  .i  wont  prefer  a  sony  in  this  range  sx20  is  26  K  last  month  .
SNadar7
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:35 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Anandarajkumar  wrote  (View  Post):                
Hi  Sathish,

For  30  K  I  was  advised  that  we  could  go  for  an  entry  level  DSLR  or  a  good  used  one.  

Regards                

Any  reccomended  entry  level  DSLR  ,  I  guess  Nikon  1000d  is  one.  BTW  with  the  standard  lens  will  i  be  able  to  take  long  shots  or  i  will  require  different  lenses  for  long  portrait  or  macro  shots.
SNadar7
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:39 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

joevimal  wrote  (View  Post):                
p  90  is  no  match  to  SX20,  if  you  have  30  k  you  can  go  for  canon  sx20   it  is  one  of  the  best  in  its  segment  .i  wont  prefer  a  sony  in  this  range  sx20  is  26  K  last  month  .                

Hey  joe  

Is  there  any  particular  reason  or  any  serious  cons  in  P90  compared  to  SX20  .  Have  you  used  any  of  them  ??  Also  Optical  zoom  in  case  of  p90  is  more  and   there  is  a  huge  price  difference  among  them  atleast  4  k.
Deba
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:57 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

For  30K  get  yourself  a  Nikon  D3000  kit  which  is  way  better  than  the  camera  you  have  mentioned..........  Thumb Up
harikamal
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:54 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Hi  Satish,

If  you  are  looking  for  a  good  all  round  camera  which  includes  super  zoom  and  macro  features,  you  can  go  for  SX20IS.  I  owned  a  P90  and  the  image  quality  is  not  as  good  as  Canon  in  this  segment.  SX20IS  is  a  latest  version  too.  P90  can  be  compared  with  Canons  SX10IS.

BUT  I'm  sure  that  you  will  end  up  in  selling  this  soon  to  buy  a  DSLR.  The  only  problem  is  you  need  to  pay  more  money  to  get  lens  for  the  entire  zoom  range  a  super  zoom  can  give.  

So  buy  a  EOS1000D  or  D3000  with  kit  lens  now  which  fits  your  budget  and  later  you  can  go  for  a  good  telephoto  and  a  macro  lens.

All  the  Best

Hari
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 12:40 pm Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Add  another  couple  of  thousands  to  your  budget  and  you  can  get  a  Canon  EOS  1000D  DSLR+Canon  18-55  mm  IS  Kit  lens+Sigma/Tamron  70-300  mm  Zoom/Macro  Lens.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Tirtha C
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 1:22 pm Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Couple  of  Months  back  I  picked  up  Canon  500D  DSLR  from  USA  for  32000/-.  So  check  if  you  can  find  someone  returning  from  US  who  can  carry  it  for  you.  Buy  it  online  and  ship  it  to  his  address.
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 10:05 pm Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

DSLRs:
 Go  in  for  a  DSLR  only  if  you  intend  to  slowly  buy  lenses  and  keep  upgrading  (or  can  live  with  the  kit  lens  which  is  pretty  inadequate  IMO).  In  terms  of  picture  quality  and  flexibility,  this  is  the  best  option.  Heavy  on  the  pocket  though.  
 Since  you  wanted  the  best  camera  for  your  fishy  snaps,  this  will  be  the  best  option.  But  hayath  has  been  clicking  mind  blowing  pics  of  his  fish  using  his  compact  superzoom.  But  again,  thats  an  exceptional  photographer  we  are  talking  about.  Clicking  fishy  pics  on  Compacts  is  much  tougher  than  on  a  DSLR.

Compact  Super  Zooms:
 Go  in  for  a  compact  super  zoom,  if  you  want  an  all  in  one  solution  (especially  very  high  zooms  which  will  cost  a  ton  on  a  DSLR),  and  you  are  ready  to  compromise  on  picture  quality.
 If  you  want  to  stick  to  the  Compact  super  zoom  category,  I  would  vote  for  the  Cannon  SX20  IS.  ive  used  the  P80,  and  it  has  major  focussing  problems  at  the  long  end.  Also  enjoyed  the  S2IS  much  more  than  the  P80  (which  is  a  much  more  advanced  model  thant  the  S2IS).  Ive  heard  that  the  P90  isnt  a  major  improvement  over  the  P80.  

Top  Quality  Compacts:
 If  you  want  DSLR  quality  pics  and  want  to  shoot  in  RAW  etc  (I  cant  live  without  RAW)  and  dont  want  the  hassle  of  lens  upgrade,  I  would  suggest  the  cannon  G10/G11.  They  are  the  best  compacts  out  there  (Excluding  rangefinders  and  Micro  four  thirds  that  anyways  wont  fit  in  your  budget  and  again  have  interchangeable  lens).  You  wont  get  good  zoom,  but  the  picture  quality  will  be  comparible  to  that  of  a  DSLR.  Will  also  fit  in  your  budget.  

Go  film:   Chuckle  
 If  you  are  ready  to  take  the  pains  of  developing  and  then  scanning  your  negatives  everytime  you  shoot,  go  for  Film  cameras.  You  will  get  35mm  Full  frame  DSLR  quality  pictures  and  even  better  on  a  dirt  cheap  body.  But  then  the  twist  is,  you  again  need  all  those  costly  lens  which  can  be  heavy  on  your  pocket.

Finally,  You  need  to  decide  what  you  really  want,  both  in  the  long  term  and  short  term  and  then  make  a  choice.  I  personally  first  chose  a  compact  superzoom  with  a  long  term  goal.  But  a  few  years  down  the  line  I  found  it  inadequate,  and  felt  the  need  to  go  for  a  DSLR.  I  went  in  for  one  when  i  could  afford  one.  But  then  the  superzoom  still  comes  in  handy.  I  thought  this  was  a  sensible  path  to  follow,  since  i  didnt  want  to  take  the  risk  of  buying  a  DSLR  and  then  losing  interest  later  on.  Think,  calculate,  evaluate  and  take  the  plunge!  All  the  best  for  your  new  buy  in  advance!
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Alistair  wrote  (View  Post):                
DSLRs:
 Go  in  for  a  DSLR  only  if  you  intend  to  slowly  buy  lenses  and  keep  upgrading  (or  can  live  with  the  kit  lens  which  is  pretty  inadequate  IMO).  In  terms  of  picture  quality  and  flexibility,  this  is  the  best  option.  Heavy  on  the  pocket  though.  
 Since  you  wanted  the  best  camera  for  your  fishy  snaps,  this  will  be  the  best  option.                  

Not  exactly!   Yes  the  "Lens  Lust"  factor  is  undeniable  for  anyone  holding  a  DSLR,  but  end  of  the  day  it  all  boils  down  to  how  much  an  individual  can  push  the  particular  lens  and  his  camera  to  its  limits.   Just  because  you  have  a  Canon  Mark  III  with  a  200-500  Canon  IS  Lens  doesn't  mean  you  will  end  up  with  mind  blowing  pictures.   A  cheap  Sigma/Tamron  pushed  to  its  limits  can  make  much  more  than  the  above  Canon  in  a  not  so  skillful  hand.   Yes  cheaper  lenses  have  their  cons,  but  when  pushed  to  their  limits  they  will  speak  much  more  than  what  they  are  considered  as.
 A  DSLR  gives  you  more  freedom  to  play  around.   There  are  pics  I've  taken  at  F45  during  daytime  and  F32  at  Nights,  which  would  be  unimaginable  with  any  PS.   Anyday  an  entry  level  DSLR  could  mean  much  more  than  a  super  advanced  PS.   Most  of  us  think,  getting  a  PS  and  then  moving  on  to  a  DSLR  is  a  good  idea.   But  in  real  both  are  two  planets  apart.   PS  are  easy  and  forgiving,  DSLRs  are  tricky  and  demanding.   One  more  important  factor  is,  if  you  are  going  to  stick  to  Auto  Mode,  a  DSLR  is  just  throwing  some  unworthy  money.   Get  manual  and  you  will  know  why  DSLRs  are  costly.   Have  a  Let  the  cam  do  everything  attitude,  God  Bless  PS.
Yogesh

PostPosted: Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:40 pm Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Very  well  drafted,  Madhu.  Clapping  
 Best  thing  is  to  assess  yourselves,  if  you  are  a  New,  Intermediate  or  Advanced  (Professional)  user  and  select  your  cam.
 If  I'm  new  to  SLR  with  limited  budget,  will  go  for  Nikon  D3000/5000  or  Canon  1000D  +  free  goodies.
SNadar7
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 12:48 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Thanks  all  for  throwing  light  on  the  topic.  Having  read  all  expert  opinions  now  I  have  shifted  my  mind  from  a  super  P  &S  to  an  entry  level  DSLR(am  a  beginner  Yogesh).As  Alistair  said  kit  lens  would  soon  fall  inadequate,   I  wanted  to  know  with  the  standard  kit  lens  will  I  be  able  to  take  tele  shots  except  for  the  fact  of  zoom  as  in  a  P  &  S  or  will  it  be  only  good  for  portraits..  What  is  the   optical  zoom  equivalent  as  we  speak  of  3X  or  more  for  18-55  mm  kit  lens.  How  much  would  it  cost  me  for  a  70mm  -  300mm  sigma  zooom/  macro  lenses.  And  now  again  a  basic  question  Nikon  D3000  or  a  Canon  1000D   Confused   Confused  Too  many  question  as  it  would  be  my  first  DSLR  so  ....   Oops
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 1:10 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Hi  Satish,

You  can  check  this  webpage  for  price-reference  or  pickup-point  in  Mumbai.
 http://www.jjmehta.com/webshop/index.html

You  can  also  refer  price-check  on  eBay  or  with  Authorized  Sellers  of  company  for  Best  Price  available.
 IMO  its  always  better  to  get  this  stuff  from  Authorized  Seller  with  Full  Warranty  rather  than  Grey-market  pickup.  Smile
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Mar 25, 2010 3:18 am Post subject: Re: Nikon P90 or Canon SX20IS or Sony HX1 ?? Reply with quote

Quote:                

Not  exactly!   Yes  the  "Lens  Lust"  factor  is  undeniable  for  anyone  holding  a  DSLR,  but  end  of  the  day  it  all  boils  down  to  how  much  an  individual  can  push  the  particular  lens  and  his  camera  to  its  limits.   Just  because  you  have  a  Canon  Mark  III  with  a  200-500  Canon  IS  Lens  doesn't  mean  you  will  end  up  with  mind  blowing  pictures.   A  cheap  Sigma/Tamron  pushed  to  its  limits  can  make  much  more  than  the  above  Canon  in  a  not  so  skillful  hand.   Yes  cheaper  lenses  have  their  cons,  but  when  pushed  to  their  limits  they  will  speak  much  more  than  what  they  are  considered  as.  

We  must  not  bring  in  skill  when  comparing  two  products  (pushing  a  lens  to  its  limits  needs  skill).  A  good  photographer  will  whip  the  a**  of  an  unskilled  person  on  a  D3  and  70-200mm  f  2.8  with  even  a  basic  10000  buck  P  &  S.  That  doesnt  mean  that  i  can  compare  the  two.  And  what  you  pay  is  what  you  get  in  the  lens  world.  The  Nikon  70-300mm  may  be  available  for  25K  bucks,  buts  that  what  its  worth.  It  will  always  be  Edit  compared  to  a  70-200  mm  f  2.8  VR  II  which  costs  around  114K  bucks,  not  without  reason.  Someone  may  take  a  national  Geopgraphic  cover  page  pic  with  a  70-300mm,  but  that  doesnt  change  what  the  lens  is  worth.

Now  whether  a  person  will  be  happy  with  just  the  basic  lenses  is  a  question  he  must  answer  himself  and  will  only  be  able  to  answer  himself  when  he  actually  uses  those  lenses.  Im  sure  most  of  the  DSLR  users  on  this  forum  will  be  using  kit  lenses  on  their  system,  just  like  I  do.  Some  will  be  happy,  some  will  long  for  an  upgrade  (like  me).  its  Very  subjective  and  will  vary  from  person  to  person.  Also  very  much  depends  on  how  deep  ones  pocket  is.  So  I  agree,  in  my  previous  post  i  should  have  specifically  said  "IMO".  :)

Quote:                

A  DSLR  gives  you  more  freedom  to  play  around.   There  are  pics  I've  taken  at  F45  during  daytime  and  F32  at  Nights,  which  would  be  unimaginable  with  any  PS.   Anyday  an  entry  level  DSLR  could  mean  much  more  than  a  super  advanced  PS.   Most  of  us  think,  getting  a  PS  and  then  moving  on  to  a  DSLR  is  a  good  idea.   But  in  real  both  are  two  planets  apart.

I  agree  with  what  you  say  Madhu  but  if  you  see,  I  havent  equated  superzooms  to  Entry  level  DSLRs.  Each  have  its  pros  and  cons  that  I  have  tried  to  bring  out.  One  has  to  decide  what  one  wants  and  then  select  depending  on  the  pros  and  cons.

Regarding  the  statement  that  you  need  to  upgrade  to  better  lenses  if  you  have  a  DSLR,  I  agree  that  this  cannot  be  generalised.  its  probably  me  and  my  experience  that  makes  me  say  so.
 For  me  (just  for  me),  i  would  be  think  once  before  buying  a  D3000  with  an  18-55,  if  there  is  no  intention  of  upgrading  lenses  in  the  future.  For  there  are  some  limitations  involved.  You  cant  shoot  macro,  you  cant  zoom  much.  The  D3000  is  kind  of  technically  a  DSLR,  but  when  compared  to  the  higher  models,  it  lacks  a  bit.  Doesnt  even  have  2  dials.  etc.

The  SX20IS  on  the  other  hand  is  a  pretty  powerful  cam  when  compared  to  other  compacts.  Also  has  a  manual  mode  which  you  can  play  around  with  and  get  practice  (obviously  not  to  the  extent  of  a  DSLR),  really  large  zoom  and  top  class  macro  features.  I  have  seen  mind  boggling  insect  pics  and  macro  shots  from  this  camera,  which  i  could  never  ever  dream  of  taking  with  an  18-55.  But  again  there  are  areas  that  the  DSLR  will  work  where  the  P&S  will  fail.  My  point  is  that  the  top  P&S's  now  days  are  competing  with  the  entry  level  DSLRs.  You  need  to  decide  what  you  want,  and  then  buy.  

Both  have  their  pros  and  cons.  Dont  you  agree?

Quote:                
PS  are  easy  and  forgiving,  DSLRs  are  tricky  and  demanding.                  

Agree.  But  subjective  again.  Very  unforgiving  when  shooting  in  manual  mode  on  a  P&S.  Nothing  more  forgiving  than  shooting  in  RAW  on  a  DSLR.

Quote:                

One  more  important  factor  is,  if  you  are  going  to  stick  to  Auto  Mode,  a  DSLR  is  just  throwing  some  unworthy  money.   Get  manual  and  you  will  know  why  DSLRs  are  costly.   Have  a  Let  the  cam  do  everything  attitude,  God  Bless  PS.

I  cant  agree  more.

Last edited by Alistair on Thu Mar 25, 2010 4:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquarium Photography All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: