50. Guest
51. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,937

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A long journey begins- My fish room!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A long journey begins- My fish room!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 01, 2010 9:26 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

thanks  a  lot  Trevorji,
 this  is  exactly  what  i  wanted  to  see
 but  another  question  creeps  in  my  mind...
 how  about  the  temperature  during  winter  ?

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

Unlike  the  foreign  fish  rooms  built  in  countries  of  colder  climes  we  have  to  strive  to  reduce  the  temperature  most  of  the  time  except  in  winter.  

Whereas  the  said  foreign  fish  rooms  will  have  to  try  to  heat  them  up  and  increase  the  temperature.                

i  agree  on  that...
 and  maybe  that's  an  advantage  for  us  IMO
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:00 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Dr  Saad,

Let  me  show  you  the  picture  of  my  "Out  of  the  Hobby"  set  up!

Except  for  the  Tamiraparani  fishes  the  rest  of  the  fishes  have  been  housed  in  these  containers  for  a  period  of  around  one  year  since  our  last  collection  trip.  In  that  full  year  these  fishes  have  been  exposed  to  the  elements,  with  absolutely  no  mortality's.  Except  for  regular  weekly  water  changes  and  daily  feeding,  they  did  not  even  have  access  to  the  basic  amenities  of  a  airpump.  

Also  as  Trevor  mentioned,  Closing  of  the  ventilation  will  help  as  also  the  quantum  of  water  and  vegetation  in  the  Fishroom.  The  same  principle  of  nights  being  warmer  on  the  coast.

But  if  the  push  comes  to  shove....  I  can  always  rely  on  these  to  power  my  heaters,  in  case  I  decide  to  have  P.scalare,  P.altum  or  Symphysodon  sp.

All  I  have  to  do  is  keep  my  fingers  crossed  that  the  123  agreement  does  not  become  a  stumbling  block  in  the  passing  of  the  Indo-US  nuclear  treaty.  If  I  have  to  juice  up  all  my  electrical  connections  provided  by  my  over  enthusiastic  Architect,  I  will  need  a  teeny-weeny  Thermonuclear  power  plant  right  behind  my  house  You  see  Chuckle  

Regards,
 Nayak.
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Aplocheilus  lineatus

Will  be  edited......

Distribution-  Pretty  widespread.  Found  them  in  Cauvery,  Nethravathi,   Tunga,  Bhadra,  Sharavathi  and  in  Tamiraparani.
 Sexual  Dimorphism-  A  bit  difficult.  Females  are  bigger  and  the  vertical  lines  are  prominent.  The  method  I  follow  is  by  watching  them,  and  if  one  fish  does  not  bash  up  the  other  then  they  are  male  and  female.  Based  on  this  Madhu,  it  appears  you  caught  a  "Band  of  brothers"  in  Tamiraparani.  The  bigger  one  is  bashing  up  the  smaller  one  and  I  will  have  to  separate  them.
 Mating  season-  Now,  at  this  very  moment  if  possible.  
 Hardiness-  Tough  guys.  Can  withstand  a  lot  of  mishandling:(
 Feed-  Dried  brine  shrimp  flakes,  feeder  fish  and  edible  anything  that  fell  into  or  tried  to  breed  in  my  Balcony  tanks.  
 Personal  observation-  Very  beautiful  fishes.  Outstanding  colors  on  them  when  spawning.  Miserable  jumpers.  Always  keep  the  tank  covered.  Live  feed  is  the  best.  hates  fast  moving  waters.
 Though  widespread  the  color  and  pattern  on  fishes  of  different  sites  are  varied.  Hence  keeping  them  separate  and  ID'ing  them  on  basis  of  "Type  locality"  is  important.

From  Nethravathi.......

From  Tamiraparani.......

Color  pattern  on  Type  locality  Nethravathi.......Notice  the  black  spots  on  the  fins.

Color  pattern  on  Type  locality  Tamiraparani........Notice  the  yellow  spots  on  the  fins.

Regards,
 Nayak.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:22 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Aplocheilus  lineatus  from  the  Sharavati  River  Basin

Aplocheilus  from  North  East.  

uv_umesh
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:50 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Another  Blockbuster  by  our  favorite  Fish-keepers  of  'Namma  Bengaluru'

Cheers  to  each  one  of  the  contributors;  be  it  directly  or  indirectly  to  achieve  this  
 Grand  Fish  Room  Project  in  totality!
   Clapping     Cheer     Thumbs Up
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

I  will  be  drinking  with  the  fishes  next  week  !  Cheering
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

You  are  most  welcome  anytime,  Sir.  Very Happy   Very Happy   Very Happy  

Regards,
 Nayak.
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:14 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

This  is  the  food  we  have  been  feeding  our  fish  since  2005.  Shrimp  are  known  to  be  slow  eaters  and  consume  at  leisure.  This  food  does  not  disintegrate  easily  and  foul  the  water.

Scientifically  formulated  for  quick  growth  the  fish  just  love  these  pellets.  Also  it  give  them  super  color  and  a  large  size.  Not  like  the  stuff  you  get  in  multi  -  colored  packs  at  your  LFS.
 Will  be  posting  the  pictures  of  my  massive  native  fish  after  they  enter  Nayak's  fish  room.  

Yes  and  it  comes  in  a  10  Kg  bag.  :grin:

Note.  This  will  be  the  main  staple  diet  in  the  fish  room.  Three  or  four  other  foods  will  also  be  used  to  feed  the  fish.

Last edited by trevor on Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
Madan
Admin
Admin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:17 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

ONLY  in  a  10  kg  bag  !  Very Happy
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:25 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Unless  you  want  a  50  kg  bag.  Chuckle
alpha91

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 10:47 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Super  stuff  this  shrimp  food.  Very  very  very  light  on  the  pocket  too!  Smile  

Madan  wrote  (View  Post):                

Man  i  lugged  home  a  sack  full  of  the  stuff  from  the  karwar  collection  trip.  2  bus  changes,  then  an  auto  at  4  am  in  the  morning  to  my  place!  
 Totally  worth  the  effort.

EDIT:  Trevor,  i  noticed  you  are  feeding  the  No.1  food.  Any  pics  of  the  actual  pellets?  
 I  have  the  No.2  food,  and  the  pellets  are  around  the  size  of  tetra  bits  granules.

Last edited by alpha91 on Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
saadali
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:06 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

this  thread  certainly  is  clearing  lotsa  doubts  in  my  head.
 thanks  a  lots....Nayak  and  trevor  for  the  inputs....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 12:21 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Trevor  Sir,

Is  there  any  hope  of  buying  Fry  No.  1  in  Bangalore?  It  sounds  like  food  used  for  aquaculture.  I  am  planning  to  bring  a  little  bit  of  variety  into  the  food  that  I  give  my  oscars  and  cubans.  In  the  words  of  one  hobbyist  on  a  Web  site  I  came  across,  most  packaged  fish  food  for  the  hobby  costs  almost  as  much  as  caviar  per  gram.  This  is  actually  true  for  some  of  the  better-known  brands  of  fish  food.

Thanks,
 Vicky
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:48 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Vicky01  wrote  (View  Post):                
Trevor  Sir,

Is  there  any  hope  of  buying  Fry  No.  1  in  Bangalore?  It  sounds  like  food  used  for  aquaculture.  I  am  planning  to  bring  a  little  bit  of  variety  into  the  food  that  I  give  my  oscars  and  cubans.  In  the  words  of  one  hobbyist  on  a  Web  site  I  came  across,  most  packaged  fish  food  for  the  hobby  costs  almost  as  much  as  caviar  per  gram.  This  is  actually  true  for  some  of  the  better-known  brands  of  fish  food.

Thanks,
 Vicky                

The  great  massive  rip  off.  Chuckle   

A  10  kg  bag  will  cost  the  same  as  a  100gms  multi  colored  packet  of  the  branded  stuff.

Tax  free  structure  and  subsidies  also  help  lower  the  price  since  its  mainly  for  the  export  oriented  aquaculture.

Some  enterprising  LFS  have  now  started  repacking  the  stuff  in  100  gms  pkts.   Price  is  still  way  too  high.

The  food  ideally  should  be  be  used  with  other  food  supplements  to  give  variety  including  veggies  from  your  kitchen.

LFS  will  not  take  too  kindly  with  posts  such  as  these.  Some  will  pretend  that  they  never  ever  heard  of  IAH.  Smile
Ranjitpai
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:43 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

well  said  trevor  ..Nayak  ,  Madan  and  you  are  truly  great  hobbyists  who  are  willing  to  help  ,  Nayak  -  I  am  going  to  stay  next  time  in  that  room  .when  i  am  in  Banglore  .  please  publish  the  rates  for  

Fishroom  Delux  ----  all  the  best  .  Truly  a  marvel
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 7 of 33

Jump to: