53. Guest
54. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 1,909
 Member(s): 0
 Total: 1,909

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,873

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - A long journey begins- My fish room!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

A long journey begins- My fish room!
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Native Indian Fishes
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:22 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Hi  Deepak,  Will  do  Smile  

A  quiet  Tuesday  evening  in  the  fish  room

No,  this  is  not  what  you  imagine.  This  is  the  moulted  exoskeleton  of  this  Trevor's  baby  below.  

And  right  now,  she  is  hiding  till  her  new  shell  hardens  up.  Here  is  Trevor's  post  on  breeding  them.
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=8285

Another  surprise.  I  was  watching  the  Tamaraparani  biotope,  when  suddenly  this  fell  in  front  of  me.  Something  like  out  of  the  "Jaws"  movie.

The  victim  was  a  healthy  P.bimaculatus,  chomped  neatly  just  before  the  tail.  Now,  a  puzzle  to  solve!  Could  this  be  the  culprit?

Regards,
 Nayak.
Lawrenze
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:57 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Nayak,  I've  been  regularly  watching  this  thread  and  the  fish  room  development...I  don't  think  you'll  ever  find  a  non-native  to  tempt  you  enough  to  convert  the  native  heaven  into  like  one  of  the  IPL  teams  Chuckle  I  got  to  tell  you  that  everytime,  I  try  something  like  this  with  the  3-4  tanks  that  I  keep  I  get  tempted  to  jump  into  something  else...the  latest  being  something  that  came  from  B'lore  Wink  
 Rgds
madhu_ulysses
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:17 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

rasikanayak  wrote  (View  Post):                

No,  this  is  not  what  you  imagine.  This  is  the  moulted  exoskeleton  of  this  Trevor's  baby  below.  

Only  Trevor  will  call  this  thing  a  baby!   Shocked  

Quote:                

The  victim  was  a  healthy  P.bimaculatus,  chomped  neatly  just  before  the  tail.  Now,  a  puzzle  to  solve!  Could  this  be  the  culprit?

I  can  already  see  3/4  of  your  Bimac  in  the  culprit's  belly.   Chuckle
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:57 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

madhu_ulysses  wrote  (View  Post):                

This  crayfish  was  one  of  the  several  crayfish  fry  that  was  born  in  my  tank.  Not  my  baby.  Chuckle
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:47 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

trevor  wrote  (View  Post):                

madhu_ulysses  wrote  (View  Post):                

This  crayfish  was  one  of  the  several  crayfish  fry  that  was  born  in  my  tank.  Not  my  baby.  Chuckle                

ROFL  .........i  am  sure  it  is  not  your  baby  Trevor....

@  Nayak,  full  fish  room  shot  please......are  all  the  tanks  set  up  and  running  ???
trevor
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:00 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Ick  attacks  the  Tambraparni  biotope.  

The  probable  reason  could  be  the  stress  caused  by  transfer  of  fishes  from  the  high  temperatures  of  the  Tambraparani  River  to  the  lower  temperature  of  its  biotope  in  Nayak’s  fish  room.  And  also  the  handlings  of  the  fish  at  various  stages  till  its  destination.

Some  pictures  of  the  fish  before  and  after  the  disease.

Puntius  sp.

Salmostoma  sp.

Ichthyophthirius  Multifiliis  is  the  cause  of  the  familiar  and  most  common  protozoan  disease  of  freshwater  fish  –  white  spot/ick/ich.  

Close  investigation  as  you  can  see  will  reveal  pinhead  sized  white  to  gray  nodules.  The  disease  causes  a  loss  of  appetite,  skin  irritation  and  minor  respiratory  distress.  
 The  first  visual  signs  show  the  fish  closing  their  fins,  rubbing  their  bodies  against  the  rocks  and  becoming  thin  and  lethargic.

This  pathogen  will  be  ever  present  in  your  aquarium.  The  only  fish  immune  to  this  are  healthy  fishes.  The  most  susceptible  fish  are  stressed  out  fishes.
 Note:  Although  immune  they  could  still  be  carriers  without  showing  any  signs.

Adding  salt  is  recommended.  Do  not  add  salt  to  the  aquarium  if  you  have  scale  less  fish  like  loaches  or  aquatic  plants.  
 Some  suggest  Malachite  green.  Do  not  add  it  to  the  aquarium.  In  severe  conditions  you  could  give  it  a  malachite  green  bath.  

Higher  temperatures  will  speed  up  the  life  cycle.  Clean  water  is  absolute  necessary.  
 And  the  Indian  almond  leaf  litter,  which  is  known  to  have  anti  bacterial  properties,  will  also  help.
Severumkid
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 2:09 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Awesome  photography  Trevor.   Clapping  

Man  you  are  a  genius  behind  that  P&S.

Very  useful  info  for  people  too.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 11:41 am Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Yesterday,  put  a  solid  6  hours  in  the  fishroom.

Here  are  the  updates..........

The  full  view  as  of  now!

The  Cauvery(Bangalore  rural  plains)  Biotope.

The  Barbs  tank.(Have  to  sort  them  out).  From  Kumaradhara,  Sharavathi,  Tunga  and  Challukudi.

The  tamiraparani  Biotope.

The  Killies  tank.(A.panchax  and  A.blockii)  

Regards,
 Nayak.
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:10 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Looking  super!
kulsdood
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Excellent  venture  Nayak...   the  tanks  look  really  nice  with  neat  finishing...  Cheer
Scorpio
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:48 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

WOW!!  Awesome.
rohansd
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:54 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

I  cant  see  the  pics  Sad
rasikanayak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Puntius  mahecola

Thanks  for  ID'ing  the  fish  and  for  the  papers,  Beta.  Very Happy   

Given  to  me  by  Madhu.  Caught  in  the  Tamariparani  river.  Was  always  Platinum  in  color  with  a  splash  of  red  on  the  dorsal  fin  and  a  dull  black  spot  near  the  caudal  peduncle.

But  yesterday  after  a  water  change  have  seen  a  black  lateral  line.

Distribution-  Supposed  to  be  in  Kerala,  Tamilnadu  and  south  coastal  karnataka.  
 Sexual  Dimorphism-  According  to  description  Male  will  have  a  red  splash  on  the  Dorsal  fin.
 Feed-  Omnivorous.  
 Mating  season-  No  Idea.
 Hardiness-  As  per  Rahul,  this  was  a  already  sick  fish  when  they  caught  it.  From  the  catching  to  moving  to  my  fishroom  the  fish  had  three  changes  of  water  Chemistry,  and  was  in  a  packet  for  nearly  four  days.  Was  badly  suffering  from  Ammonia  burns  with  melted  tail  and  missing  scales.  Also  suffered  a  major  attack  of  ICK.  Survived  and  due  to  the  stable  water  parameters  and  proper  feeding  you  can  see  the  health  from  the  pics  and  judge  for  yourself.  30%  water  change  every  week  is  the  norm  now.  So  a  pretty  hardy  fish.
 Feed-  Dried  brine  shrimp  flakes,  Shrimp  feed  from  Kumta  and  frozen  artemia.
 Personal  observation-  Difficult  to  tell  whether  what  I  am  observing  is  the  natural  behaviour  since  I  have  only  one  fish.  A  mean  streak  like  the  G.mullya  during  the  feeding  time.  keeps  chasing  all  the  fishes.  But  during  other  times  quiet  docile  and  tries  to  school  with  the  P.tambraparaniei.  Carp  like  behaviour  in  shifting  through  the  substrate  and  picking  each  grain,  rolling  it  in  its  mouth  and  then  spitting  it  out.  Mostly  stays  at  the  bottom  half  of  the  Aquarium.

One  week  after  adding  to  aquarium,  clicked  around  15  days  back.......

After  the  water  change  yesterday....

An  enlarged  view.....

Regards,
 Nayak.

Last edited by rasikanayak on Tue Apr 27, 2010 9:59 am; edited 1 time in total
Kuna
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:07 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

No  words  Nayak....   Thumb Up
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2010 4:10 pm Post subject: Re: A long journey begins- My fish room! Reply with quote

Puntius  mahecola?
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Native Indian Fishes All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page : Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 31, 32, 33  Next
Page 9 of 33

Jump to: