140. Guest
141. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Paint for wooden hood
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Paint for wooden hood
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> DIY
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2010 6:17 pm Post subject: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

I  just  got  a  wooden  hood  made  for  my  tank  and  am  painting  it  myself.  I  sandpapered  it  as  much  as  I  could  and  used  Mseal  to  even  out  the  rough  bits.

First  coat  was  of  acrylic  spray  paint  and  was  planning  on  doint  the  whole  hood  with  this  but  I  could  only  cover  about  2/3  of  the  hood  with  a  single  can.  Since  it  would  have  been  quite  expensive  to  do  the  whole  tank  with  this  and  I  was  not  happy  with  the  results,  I  decided  to  use  oil  paint  instead.

Just  slapped  on  the  first  coat  today  and  was  not  happy  with  the  results.  Even  with  the  thick  paint,  the  wood  texture  was  visible  and  it  looks  quite  bad.  

What  I  wanted  to  know  is  what  paint  do  you  guys  use  and  what  is  the  best  way  to  get  a  good  'flat'  finish  on  a  wooden  hood  ?

How  long  would  I  need  to  leave  it  to  dry  before  it  is  safe  to  use  over  the  tank  WRT  paint  fumes.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 1:47 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Anyone  ?
Tanvinder
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 2:34 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Mortis,  

Dont  use  thick  paint,  instead  use  terpentine  oil  to  thin  out  the  paint...  and  apply  3  coats  one  on  another  post  drying...
saikumar
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 3:46 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Mortis,

If  I  were  to  beginning  the  same,  I  would  have  pasted  an  aluminum  sheet(1mm-2mm  gauge)  and  then  painted  it  white.

Dont  think  about  thick/thin  coats.  A  coat  2  after  coat  1  dries,  gives  you  much  better  way  to  look  at  things.
 Then  2  coats  is  what  you  should  go.
 I  guess  my  carpenter  used  "Asian  paints."

2days  should  be  good  enough  time  for  it  to  be  safe  for  use,  or  more  if  you  are  allergic  like  me.

Hope  it  helps.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:17 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

1.  I  am  in  the  middle  of  getting  estimates  from  carpenters  about  wooden  covers  for  all  my  tanks.  I  am  not  an  expert.

2.  Wouldn't  attaching  a  metal  sheet  (by  Aluminum,  i  think  you  mean  tin  ("patra"))  beat  the  purpose  of  having  a  wooden  hood  which  doesn't  rust?

3.  My  other  question  is:  Is  using  Marine-Ply  (or  water-proof  ply)  absolutely  necessary?  Would  it  work,  if  I  use  regular  plywood  and  paint  the  inside  white  (several  coats  to  make  it  relatively  water-resistant)  and  stick  sun-mica  (Formica)  on  the  outside?

Sid
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 4:28 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Painting  wood  -  do  it  the  proper  way  so  that  you  could  enjoy  a  lasting  finish.

First  paint  one  coat  of  wood  primer  -  let  it  dry  -  and  then  apply  a  thin  coat  of  putty  using  a  steel  plate  (see  that  you  have  thinned  the  putty  to  a  thick  paint  consistency)  -  now  let  that  dry  hard,  that  takes  24  hours  at  least.

Using  140  grains  size  sandpaper,  sand  the  surface  until  you  have  got  rid  of  most  of  the  putty  and  the  surface  is  silky  smooth.  Dust  the  surface  and  rub  off  all  loose  putty  with  soft  cloth.  You  have  to  apply  a  coat  of  wood  primer  again  but  this  time  more  carefully  and  with  greater  care.  Thin  the  primer  to  just  about  easy  flow  consistency,  mix  well.  Take  small  portion  of  the  primer  in  a  separate  container  sieving  it  through  thin  cloth.  Apply  evenly  as  you  would  apply  finish  coat  of  paint.  When  the  portion  you  have  taken  finishes,  remix  the  primer  and  take  a  small  portion  sieving................................

For  reflective  purpose  choose  white  for  the  inside  and  your  colour  for  the  outside.  Polyurethane  paints  have  good  anti  water  qualities.  Apply  the  first  coat  and  let  it  dry  completely  before  applying  the  next.

You  have  it.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

I  didnt  know  you  could  do  palti/laambi  on  a  wooden  hood  otherwise  I  would  have  tried  this.  Do  you  get  this  putty  readymade  from  paint  shops  because  it  would  be  too  messy  if  I  had  to  mix  it  myself.  

Right  now,  it  is  too  late  for  the  base  coat  of  primer  so  Im  going  to  sand  the  thing  a  bit  and  then  see  if  I  can  find  readymade  putty  then  Ill  give  it  a  couple  more  coats  of  paint.

Sidrock,  dont  really  think  marine  ply  is  necessary  if  you  are  going  to  paint  it.  If  you  are  going  down  the  polish  and  lacquer  route  then  it  would  be  preferable.

I  bought  marine  ply  only  since  there  wasnt  much  difference  in  price  compared  to  normal  ply.  Have  sent  you  a  PM  on  how  much  I  spent  on  my  hood  just  to  give  you  an  idea.

Essabee  :  Should  have  sent  a  PM  to  our  resident  DIY  master  before  starting.  Completely  forgot   Thumb Up
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun May 30, 2010 8:33 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Putty  is  plain  French  Chalk  in  a  medium.  Just  add  French  chalk  to  a  little  thinned  down  wood  primer  (or  paint)  so  that  you  get  the  consistency  of  thick  paint.  I  never  buy  ready-made  putty  as  you  cannot  store  it  (dries  and  becomes  useless).  I  keep  a  can  of  French  Chalk  in  my  store,  several  uses  for  it.

DIY  is  a  completely  separate  hobby  of  mine  -  you  only  see  the  result  when  aquarium  and  DIY  overlap.  This  summer  most  of  my  DIY  was  for  the  terrace  garden  -  another  completely  separate  hobby  of  mine.  There  are  still  some  more  hobbies  that  I  have  which  occupy  my  time.  

:)  After  retirement  you  need  hobbies  to  keep  you  occupied,  or  else  you  become  a  PITA  for  everyone,  trying  to  supervise  the  intolerant  youthfulness  (inexperienced  incompetents).
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 12:38 am Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Definitely  agree  with  you  essabee.  You  need  hobbies  when  you  retire  and  also  when  you  are  working  otherwise  life  just  feels  dull.  I  am  lucky  that  I  have  a  little  skill  with  DIY,  dont  do  very  complex  or  neat  work  but  still  more  than  the  average  joe  I  would  say.  Very  satisfying  felling  when  you  complete  something.
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 2:48 am Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Hello  Essabee,

It  is  an  honor  and  a  privilege  to  have  experts  like  you  guiding  us.

A  question:

@Motris:  Is  the  final  finish  you  are  aiming  for  something  like  those  shown  in  the  link  below?

http://www.furniture-outfitters.com/amish/Wood-Samples.jpg

Now,  I  am  probably  missing  something.  But,  if  you  are  using  some  oil-paint  on  the  exterior  and  attempting  to  ensure  wood-texture  is  not  noticeable,  wouldn't  you  be  better  off  using  sunmica  (formica)?  (Or  is  it  a  price  issue?)

Or  is  the  part  I  am  missing  is  that  even  after  oil-paint  and  essabee's  method  (using  putty  etc)  the  finish  is  going  to  be  similar  to  the  image  in  the  link  above?

---------------

The  look  I  prefer  for  my  wooden  aquarium  hood  is  like  the  "natural"  ones  seen  here:  

1.  http://z.about.com/d/saltaquarium/1/0/h/4/cyoung125greef_400.JPG
 2.  http://www.aqua-fish.net/imgs/articles/aquarium-canopy-1.jpg

In  my  large  naive  head,  I  think  that  is  just  polished  (lacquered?)  plywood.  Is  this  correct?

:S

Sid
Alistair
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 5:12 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

I  have  a  friends  wooden  hood,  which  he  DIYed  himself.  It  is  plywood  hood,  but  the  outer  surfaces  have  been  covered  with  these  wooden  pattis  that  you  get.  The  pattis  were  made  smooth  with  a  small  plane,  sanded  with  sandpaper,  tiled  over  the  hood,  and  then  coated  with  lacquer  and  polish.  Gives  a  much  better  real-wooden-finish.  Id  prefer  it  to  using  paint.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2010 7:40 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Nah,  I  am  not  going  for  a  wood  finish  as  that  would  require  veneer  +  polish  ,  etc  as  plywood  doesnt  have  a  good  wood  grain  type  appearance.  Plus,  by  using  paint,  it  is  much  more  waterproof  and  will  not  show  unsightly  water  stains  which  are  bound  to  happen  with  wood.  As  for  sunmica,  while  it  might  look  good  I  just  felt  that  while  the  finish  would  be  nice,  there  would  be  even  lesser  scope  of  additional  waterproofing  compared  to  polished  wood.  

Obviously  saving  some  cash  is  also  a  benefit  +  I  enjoy  doing  some  DIY  work,  it  feels  good
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 5:55 am Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Veneer  can  get  costly  depending  upon  its  quality  -  cheap  ones  are  as  ugly  as  sunmica,  and  they  really  look  cheap.

Using  'Touch  Wood'  (which  is  actually  a  polyurethane  clear  paint)  you  can  get  a  perfectly  fished  polished  wood  effect  which  is  impervious  to  water  and  humidity

Although  sunmica  looks  ugly  on  the  exteriors  -  white  sunmica  I  find  is  the  best  reflective  surface  for  the  inside  -  lasting,  easy  to  clean  and  maintain,  and  impervious  to  water  and  humidity.  To  obtain  this  last  part  (impervious  .....)  to  have  switch  your  adhesive  from  'Fevicol'  to  'Dendrite',  as  'Fevicol'  is  water  soluble.

Given  the  choice  between  spending  higher  on  using  white  sumica  on  the  inside  or  using  paint  -  I  would  choose  to  use  sunmica  as  eventually  its  lasting  capacity  and  easy  cleaning  will  prove  economical  -  it  would  last  as  long  as  your  wood  lasts  -  paint  would  not.  Humid  paint  surfaces  will  pick  up  fungus  and  wet  paint  surfaces  will  grow  algae  (algae  would  grow  on  wet  sunmica  too)  and  when  you  clean/wipe  you  will  leave  a  stain  on  the  paint  or  erode  the  paint  with  the  vigor  of  your  cleaning,  that  does  not  happen  to  the  same  extent  with  sunmica  -  you  don't  need  use  to  use  such  vigor  and  the  sunmica  surface  resists  erosion  better.
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 6:41 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Earlier,  I  was  planning  on  doing  a  couple  of  coats  of  acrylic  spray  paint  followed  by  touch  wood.  Right  now,  it  is  going  to  be  :  base  coat  of  spray  paint  (done),  one  badly  done  coat  of  oil  paint  (  done),  sanding  (done)  ,  primer  (done),  levelling  with  ready  mix  laambi  (to  do),  sanding,  primer  (to  do),  2  coats  of  oil  paint  (to  do).  Is  this  enough  or  should  I  top  it  up  with  a  coat  of  touchwood  ?
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2010 8:04 pm Post subject: Re: Paint for wooden hood Reply with quote

Don't  you  dare  put  Touchwood  on  top  of  the  paint.  When  you  want  to  give  a  fresh  coat  (in  a  couple  of  years)  you  will  have  to  remove  the  entire  touchwood  coat  to  form  a  base.  That  is  really  hard  work  and  I  shirk  from  that  -  instead  I  would  take  recourse  to  using  caustic  soda  and  that  will  not  only  remove  the  paint  but  corrode  the  wood  too  -  loss  of  material  will  be  immense.  

What  advantage  would  the  touchwood  give?  A  thick  coat  will  give  you  a  harder  surface  and  a  stain  over  the  base  paint  -  A  thin  coat  would  give  you  some  gloss  which  will  be  lost  in  6  months.  No  don't  use  touchwood  and  when  you  want  to  refurbish  the  paint  just  a  light  sand  papering  and  a  fresh  coat  of  the  same  colour  will  suffice.
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  DIY All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: