112. Guest
113. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,484

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Hello All..I have arrived
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Hello All..I have arrived

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> New Members and Beginners
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ash147
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:23 pm Post subject: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Hi  All

i'm  a  newbie  in  the  world  of  aquarium  &  keeping  fish  as  pets.till  now  I  was  only  into  savouring  fish  for  dinner.now  i  want  2  keep  fish  as  pets  in  my  just  aquired  fish  tank...now  i  can  directly  catch  a  fish  @  home  and  eat  whenever  feel  like...  Chuckle  ...  just  kidding....  better  late  than  never.

though  i  joined  this  forum  sometime  during  march  2010  but  did  not  participate  activily  due  to  various  reasons...prime  reason  being  that  I  did  not  own  a  fish  tank.just  got  a  customised  tank  built  y'day....no  fish  but  only  water  a  couple  of  artificial  plants,filter  &  air  pump.would  get  some  good  fish  in  a  day  or  two...like  to  have  suggestions  from  u  all  about  the  variety  of  fish  which  is  not  very  costly  and  freely  available...

now  since  i  have  bought  a  fish  tank  i  think  i  would  luv  to  post  many  queries  from  time  and  time  and  would  like  to  seek  the  suggestions  from  experienced  forum  members...

thanks  Cheering   Cheering
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 2:43 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

WELCOME  TO  IAH

Wish  u  Happy  Fish  Keeping  Smile  

BTW  :  Let  us  know  u  r  location
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:07 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

lol  welcome  to  the  madness  we  call  a  hobby!

what  are  your  tank  specs  like?
anandflower
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 3:10 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Hi,
 Welcome
 what  is  your  tank  size
mandragoran
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Jun 21, 2010 4:00 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Wow  awesome!   :jester:

Welcome  

Do  update  your  location  and  real  name.  Also  share  your  tank  specs  with  us,  so  we  can  advise  you  better.
ash147
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:11 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Hi  thanks  to  all  of  you  for  the  wishes...i  wish  to  make  some  real  good  friends  while  absorbing  in  all  the  suggestions  provided  from  time  to  time  by  experienced  fellow  members  like  you  during  my  journey  thru  this  forum..

About  me  &  my  tank

real  name  :  shailendra

my  location  :  Thane  near  Mumbai

Specs  of  my  tank  :  Length  :  36  inches  Width  :  15  inches  Height  :  20  inches

pls  do  suggest  about  the  name/variety  of  fish  I  should  go  in  for  since  as  a  beginner  I  do  not  want  to  spend  too  much  money  at  this  point  in  time.

also  would  like  to  know  the  number  of  fish  which  can  be  easily  accomodated  in  my  tank.specs  provided  above.

any  other  suggestion  will  be  welcome.

thanks
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:50 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

First  of  all  welcome  to  IAH  !

Dont  get  any  fish  now.  Do  research  on  fish  and  read  up  on  their  requirements  otherwise  they  will  just  die.  You  said  that  you  were  going  to  get  fish  tomorrow.  DONT  DO  IT.  Read  up  on  aquarium  cycling  on  the  net  first.  Your  filter  needs  to  mature  first.  Let  it  run  24/7  starting  right  now  in   your  tank.  Maybe  after  a  week  you  can  add  1-2  Mollies  or  guppies  (if  you  like  the  fish)  that  will  aid  in  the  cycling  process.
ash147
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:18 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Thanks  Mortis  for  enlighting  me  on  the  concept  of  aquarium  cycling.I  was  absolutly  unaware  of  this  process  till  I  read  your  post.Your  post  prompted  me  to  search  for  aquarium  cycling  on  google  and  I  read  the  process  in  the  below  mentioned  links.

http://www.firsttankguide.net/cycle.php
 http://www.fishyou.com/aquarium-cycling.php

The  process  has  been  nicely  explained  but  both  the  links  mention  one  needs  a  few  fish  to  do  aquarium  cycling  since  it  is  the  fish  waste  which  helps  in  the  process.

So  I  went  ahead  and  purchased  3  pair  of  small  fish  from  the  market  and  introduced  them  into  my  tank  which  had  been  operating  with  water  (  filter  on  ,  air  pump  on  )  since  sunday  evening.The  variety  of  fish  are  
 1  pair  of  silver  shark  fish
 1  pair  of  angel  fish
 1  pair  of  gold  fish

They  all  are  small  in  size  and  I  hope  will  aid  the  cycling  of  my  aquarium.
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 1:32 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Shailendra,

You  should  have  read  the  post  of  Mortis  very  carefully  ..  which  incidentally  you  did  not  ...

The  fishes  you  have  bought  are  not  compatible  with  each  other,  irrespective  of  whatever  your  LFS  might  have  told  you  ..  Angels  and  Gold  fish  have  completely  different  needs  ..  Silver  Shark  would  eventually  become  large  and  moreover  their  voracious  eating  habits  with  fast  swimming  would  stress  your  goldies  ....

Always  buy  fish  at  the  right  time  and  not  depending  on  their  current  size  -  depending  on  their  adult  sizes  in  captivity  ....

Always  ask,  before  putting  live  stocks..
ash147
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 2:42 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

Thanks  Subhankar  for  the  advice.my  mistake  I  did  not  read  /  heed  to  mortis's  advice.this  being  my  first  ever  setup  was  very  keen/excited  to  get  some  fish.the  sales  guy  advised  me  these  varity  of  fish..i  was  taken  in  by  his  sales  talk  probably...i'll  be  extra  careful  now  on.kindly  suggest  which  variety  of  fish  are  compatible  with  each  other  and  can  be  bought  together  in  the  same  tank  ?  I  need  this  info  for  future  purchases  once  my  tank  is  fully  cycled.the  price  of  the  fish  should  not  be  high...not  more  than  Rs.  100  -  150  a  pair  as  i  have  a  budget  constraint.once  am  completly  at  ease  with  fish  I'll  go  in  for  high  end  fish.

thnaks
 shailendra
oscarmadness
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:16 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

You  have  decent  size  for  a  start  up  tank  and  you  can  do  lot  of  things  ..
 1.  Planted  set  up  (  would  need  lot  of  reading  though  ..  with  your  impulsive  buying  spree  -  would  not  suggest  that  Smile  )
 2.  Cichlid  Set  ups  (  read  about  malawi  and  tang  set  ups  in  this  forum  -  its  going  to  be  little  expensive,  but  worth  it..)

in  case  you  want  to  retain  aything  from  your  existing  stock..  give  away  goldies  and  sharks..  keep  the  angels..  Swordtails,  some  varieties  of  tetras  would  do  fine  ...  but  do  not  stock  now..  wait  for  three  -  4  weeks  for  the  cycling  to  complete  ..

And  most  important..  ask  before  you  jump  into  action  ...
ash147
IAH New Member
IAH New Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:20 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

thanks  Subhankar.I'll  take  care  and  would  seek  advice  from  experienced  members  like  you  b4  jumping  into  action...

BTW  what  is  LFS  ?

regards
 shailendra
jack86
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 5:32 pm Post subject: Re: Hello All..I have arrived Reply with quote

LFS  =  local  fish  store   Thumb Up
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  New Members and Beginners All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: