38. Guest
39. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,749

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank.
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria
View previous topic :: View next topic  
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:10 pm Post subject: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

I  have  a  18/15/12  tank.  I  want  to  set  a  very  decent  planted  tank.
 I  passed  SSC  exam  with  good  marks  and  so  I  have  some  money  to  spend.
 I  need  your  suggestions  for  this  project.  I'm  not  a  first  timer  still  need  some  help.

Lighting-
 I  have  a  18  watt  CFL  bulb,  Besides  that  what  do  you  suggest?

Substrate-
 I  have  normal  sand  about  four  kilos.  What  should  I  use  as  fertilizer?
 I  will  try  to  get  the  local  fertilizer  we  get  we  call  it  violet  rock  I  donno  whats  the  real  name.

Plants-
 Totally  to  decide.

CO2-
   mostly  will  do  a  simple  DIY  generator  and  a  diffuser  with  inernal  filter.

Do  you  think  dosing  will  be  needed?
 What  plants  and  laterite  do  you  suggest?

ALL  SUGGESTIONS  ARE  WELCOME.
 Please  help  me,
          Regards,
               Shantanu
Mortis
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:37 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

I  would  suggest  going  for  a  low  light  tank.  Do  a  bit  of  reading  on  low  light  plants,  fertilization,  etc  and  form  a  rough  plan.  Post  it  here  and  we  will  help  you  from  there.  Your  CO2  diffusion  using  DIY  yeast  method  and  internal  power  filter  to  diffuse  it  sounds  good  enough  for  a  low  tech  tank.  

I  would  suggest  avoiding  that  violet  rock  fertilizer.  Dont  know  what  it  contains  and  it  could  harm  the  fish  or  cause  algae.  Try  to  get  a  base  layer  of  pure  laterite  and  top  it  with  a  layer  of  the  sand  you  ahve  over  it.  If  you  want  you  can  also  go  for  river  sand  from  Affable  Aquarium  near  Mithibai  college,  it  is  quite  nutrient  rich.

Since  you  are  going  low  tech  small  setup,  a  commercial  branded  liquid  fertilizer  would  probably  be  best  for  you.  For  dosing,  follow  the  instructions  on  the  back.  However  if  it  says  7  ml  once  a  week,  instead  add  1ml  everyday  or  2ml  on  alternate  days.  It  is  better  to  split  up  dosing.  Generally  with  low  tech,  low  light  yo  could  use  less  than  the  reccommended  dose.

Plants  :  MAinly  mosses,  java  ferns,  crypts  &  anubias

Best  of  luck
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 8:48 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

Where  I  can  get  base  layer?
 Java  moss?
 Liqiud  fertilizers?

I  want  to  go  for  a  mid-light  what  light  I  must  add?
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Tue Jun 22, 2010 11:05 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

hey  shantanu........

for  lights  you  can  replace  CFL  with  T5HO...  they  really  make  difference  in  low  tech  setups......

for  a  beginer  laterite  can  cause  cloudiness  and  some  headache.....  ROFL  

since  you  are  on  diy  co2......ada  aquasoil  2  and  contro  soil  can  prove  good  ............  Thumbs Up  

good  luck........and....  first  decide  on  plants...

cheers...

suhail
Preeths
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 12:27 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

If  you  tank  is  15  "  high  then  CFL  are  more  than  sufficient.  Get  one  more  CFL  and  your  lighting  is  good  to  go.

Use  a  bottom  layer  of  red  soil.  Top  it  with  gravel.

You  can  have  plants  such  as  vals  and  crypts  growing  in  this  tank.  You  can  also  keep  ferns,  anubias  and  moss  tied  to  some  hard  scape.  These  might  proove  dificult  to  find  and  expensive.  

You  can  have  DIY  CO2.

My  personal  experience  is  that  red  soil  is  the  best  medium  for  growing  crypts.

Use  of  branded  aquarium  soil  would  not  be  the  best  idea  as  you  are  not  going  for  a  hi  teck  setup.

You  can  use  KNO3,  K2SO4  stock  solutions  for  dosing.
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 10:28 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

I  will  go  with  another  CFL  12  watts  will  be  enough?
 On  plants  and  the  layout  i  will  think  about  it.

thanks  for  your  suggestions.
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:04 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

@killikid-  you  can  replace  your  CFL  bulbs  idea  with  one  single  PLL  tube  (36watts).....
 for  fertilizer  you  can  use  KNO3,  and  KH2PO4  (macro  nutrients)  which  easily  found  in  dava  bazar  close  to  your  place  ..and  microsol  B  (micro  nutrients)  .....\

i  use  the  same  above  for  my  24x12x18  tank  with  36watts  of  light  and  sodamaker  pressurized  co2  ....

for  low  tech  plants  refer  to  above  post  and  some  experts  .......
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:12 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

ada  aquazoil  proved  me  good  for  a  low  tech  setup......my  crypts  and  vals  did  pretty  well  without  doising  .......

this  is  from  my  own  experience.......for  lights  PLL  will  do  for  your  setup.....!!!!

for  a  low  tech  setup  substrate  and  lights  are  important.....wait  for  experts  to  comment...!!!!

good  luck......

cheers
niroo
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:17 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

Bacopa  monnieri  also  a  good  choice  for  low  tech  and  beginner  level.  its  a  hardy  stem  plant.  easily  available  and  looks  good  when  planted  in  bunches...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:21 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

@  assassin  -  as  mentioned  in  earlier  post  ...killikid  has  a  tight  budget  .......so  he  end  up  investing  everything  in  ada  aquazone  soil  ......though  i  know  it  is  the  best  substrate  for  plantation  ...but  i  have  seen  many  tanks  with  river  sand  toped  with  normal  gravel  ....
ASSASSIN
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 11:30 am Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

well.....

if  he  is  investing  in  river  soil  or  gravel  ....  fertilizer  should  also  be  shortlisted.....

so  my  personal  opnion  is  6ltr  ada  that  should  cost  less  than  a  thousand.....

one  setup  of  mine  had  small  portions  of  ada  for  planting  alone  and  rest  of  the  area  covered  with  normal  gravel  ,  hardscaping  in  this  setup  has  to  be  more  pronounced  so  that  it  gives  depth....

anyways  its  your  choice  shantanu.....

good  luck..
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:11 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

Thanks  for  all  your  opinions.
 I've  already  decided  on  plants.
 Now  a  last  question  won't  36  watt  be  too  much?
 I  will  be  using  river  sand  as  top  layer.  So  which  will  be  laterite  base  ada  soil,  red  soil  or  contro  soil?
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 3:13 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

Also  how  much  fertilizers  will  cost?
 and  laterite  will  cost  per  kg?
 can  i  get  ferts  and  laterite  at  nautilus?
Linelogic
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:21 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

niroo  wrote  (View  Post):                
Bacopa  monnieri  also  a  good  choice  for  low  tech  and  beginner  level.  its  a  hardy  stem  plant.  easily  available  and  looks  good  when  planted  in  bunches...                

Niranjan,
      I'm  not  sure  if  Bacopa  Monnieri  does  well  in  low  light.....
killikid
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:58 pm Post subject: Re: Need help in a 18/15/12 planted tank. Reply with quote

@line-
 bacopa  will  surely  do  good  with  my  specs
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Aquatic Plants and Planted Aquaria All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: