151. Guest
152. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,801

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Chit Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beta
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 5:23 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

yogoranda  wrote  (View  Post):                
My  favorite  article,  in  case  you  have  missed  (author  is  our  own  IAH  champ  -  Madhu).
 Flowerhorns,  alias  Nightmares                  

Yog,  you  should  never  post  a  link  to  Madhu's  article  without  a  link  to  this  thread:
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6689
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:20 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

man  what  was  he  smoking?!?!?!??!?!?!!?
Yogesh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 6:44 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

beta  wrote  (View  Post):                
Yog,  you  should  never  post  a  link  to  Madhu's  article  without  a  link  to  this  thread:
 http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=6689                

Sry  pa  but  somehow  I'm  staying  away  from  that  link  now.  
 Started  getting  nightmares  about  that  situation  coming  true  &  Sedet  Kang  having  evil  laugh  at  all  FH-Haters  Club.  Jester
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:30 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

no  racism   please,  keep  your  freinds  close  and  your  enemies  closest,  insuting  him  will  through  more  fuel  into  the  fire

even  we  are  doing  racism  by  spreading  what  he  said,  ignore!!!!,  theres  is  good  and  bad  everywhere  like  our  great  politicians,  may  be  they  will  sell  us  one  day  like  what  he  just  said  SLAVES?

thats  all  crazy,  are  U  really  fish  crazy  people  dumb  enough  to  beleive  that  one  can  create  flower  oscars  ,tetras,  its  not  a  monster  it  will  go  poof  in  the  wild  due  to  it  bright  colors  by  atracting  PREDATORS

istead  of  teasing  him,  look  what  we  have  done  AFRICAN  CATFISH  is  all  over  india  now  IT  EATS  WHATEVER  IT  CAN  FIT  IN  ITS  MOUTH,  and  another  fish  that  survives  the  hardest  is  the  BLOODY  LUNG  FISH,  i  know  u  guys  already  have  it  it  takes  a  little  time  to  make  disastor,  correct  oneself  and  speak  about  the  other
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:39 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

looks  like  a  good  joke  is  wasted  on  BATMAN.

but  on  a  serious  note  Batman,  this  thread  is  about  Flower  Horns  and  other  man  made  fish.  kindly  stay  on  topic.

btw  who  said  slaves  here  and  quit  using  words  u  have  no  clue  about.  racism  is  a  very  strong  word  to  be  loosly  thrown  around  as  and  when  u  feel  like  it.
Batman
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 7:59 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

YUP  it  too  hate  that  odd  looking  fish,  flowerhorns  and  vonkaiser  two  of  a  kind!!!!
Gachua1
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:01 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

Not  sure  if  that  was  mentioned  before,  but  in  case  of  very  rare  fishes,  or  fishes  that  are  rarely  imported,  or  fishes  with  very  wide  distribution,  mixing  even  of  regional  races  or  subspecies  will  result  in  the  loss  of  the  bloodline.  

If  you  take  for  example  Channa  gachua,  they  are  pretty  much  every  where  in  Asia,  but  look  different  everywhere,  mixing  those  will  definitly  degenerate  the  gene  pool.  

I  think  it  depends  on  how  you  see  the  hobby.  I  am  personally  seeing  it  as  a  way  of  conserving  species  in  captivity  (with  the  hope  of  reintroducing  them  in  case  they  should  become  extinct),  hence  I  was  always  more  focused  on  wild  forms.  Hybreeds  and  crossbred  fishes  basically  take  space  in  aquariums,  which  could  be  used  to  conserve  real  species.  

If  you  have  an  aquarium  just  for  the  fun  of  having  some  colourful  fish,  then  I  guess  there  is  nothing  bad  about  hybreeds,  unless  of  course  they  should  escpae  or  mix  with  other  fishes,  

In  terms  of  colour  and  form,  there  are  wild  forms  which  are  really  amazing,  and  in  my  view  have  a  more  interesting  behaviour  :-0

However,  it  is  basically  up  to  you  I  guess.  You  should  however  never  support  any  of  the  torture  breeds,  such  as  artificially  coloured  fishes,  mfishes  with  deformed  spines,  and  so  on...
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:30 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

thnaks  guys  for  al  lof   your  active  participation  let  the  flow  continue  we  need  more  views  from  others.

and  as  i  can  see  lot  of  people  going  against  the  hybrid  fishes  thats  fine  with  me  it  our  own  view  ,  i  m  not  supporting  painting  or  glow  fishes  i  m  talking  about  geniune  cross  breeds  and  i  saw  some  of  u  talked  about  aggresiveness  well  rd,  midas,dovii,trimac  nare  just  some  more  examplesthat  are  much  more  aggresive  than  fh  &  they  are  also  perfectly  capable  of  destroying  our  native  habitat  then  why  u  guys  buy  them  we  should  just  stick  to  our  native  fishes.Problem  is  human  perspective  when  we  enter  in  aqua  hopbby  we  don't  assume  we  are  buying  any  live  animal  we  should  take  care  like  we  do  when  we  buy  dogs  cows  cats  etc  how  many  times  it  has  happened  that  you  released  your  hybrid  aggeressive  dog  in  wild  but  if  you  see  your  fish  is  aggressive  you  release  it  in  wild  why  so?  that  only  means  we  are  not  responsible  for  our  fishses  we  just  see  them  as  entertainment  and  ornamental  that  looks  good  in  our  houses.

Zakk  split  my  genes  what  about  human  clonning  then  why??????oh  you  said  culled  i  think  you  said  strong  and  stable  genes  i  guess  1  way  to  ensure  that  is  eliminating  the  weaker  one  that  is  what  all  animal  do  is'nt  it

no  personal  offense  here  just  my  views  Smile
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:49 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

i  dont  approve  of  human  cloning.  if  i  dont  approve  of  man  made  fish  do  u  really  think  i  would  approve  of  man  made  man?!?!?

dude.  we  shouldnt  be  playing  god.  period.  u  dont  mess  with  things  that  shouldnt   be  messed  with.  be  it  humans,  animals  or  fish.  its  not  something  i  will  see  things  the  way  others  may  see  things.
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 9:06 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

right  zakk  i  totally  aggree  to  you  on  this  topic  my  view  is  we  shoukd  educate  guys  not  to  do  so  and  perform  a  responsible  fishkeeping.though  the  fish  is  hybrid  still  its  a  living  creature  so  should'nt  hate  it  but  hate  those  who  developed  that  open  a  front  against  them  not  those  who  can't  speak  for  them  selves.and  if  we  are  bringing  new  species  in  this  world  then  we  should  tale  care  of  it  thanks  Thumb Up   hey  batman  you  have  some  good  points
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:19 am Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

Might  be  interesting  for  "Cichlid  Enthusiasts":

Article  Title:  "Who  Needs  Another  Hybrid?"

Authors:  This  article  is  a  joint  effort  of  Dr.  Ron  Coleman  (Cichlid  Research  Home  Page),  Dr.  Michael  K.  Oliver  (The  Cichlid  Fishes  of  Lake  Malawi,  Africa),  and  the  Authors  of  Malawi  Cichlid  Homepage  (Dr.  George  J.  Reclos,  Francesco  Zezza,  Patrizia  Spinelli,  and  Frank  Panis)

URL:  http://malawicichlids.com/mw01013.htm

The  article  seems  a  bit  old  [2008?],  so  I'm  guessing  some  of  you  old-timers  might  have  read  it  before.  I  ran  into  it  while  researching  African  Cichlids.

-Sid

PS:  Dr.  Michael  K.  Oliver  has  named  six  species  and  one  genus  of  cichlids
rocky2
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 4:03 am Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

yup  i  got  some  help  frm  Dr.  ron  regarding  my  fh's  last  year  when  they  stopped  eating  :)

on  the  same  article  concentrate  on   dr.  Michael  Oliver  article  my  whole  point  is  summed  upo  in  the  last  part  Thumb Up
moonwalker
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:54 am Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

Wall Bang
Zakk
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:57 am Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

Quote:                
3.  Will  I  get  rich  producing  hybrids?  

No.  In  fact,  you  will  find  that  most  advanced  cichlid  hobbyists  have  an  active  dislike  for  hybrids  (and  to  be  honest,  for  the  people  that  produce  them).  

Every  now  and  then  someone  produces  a  new  “wonder”  fish  by  hybridizing  two  species  and  they  may  even  sell  some.  In  the  end,  however,  this  person  usually  finds  themselves  shunned  by  the  rest  of  the  cichlid  aquarist  community  and  worse  yet,  the  person  gets  a  bad  reputation  even  if  they  stop  producing  hybrids:  their  future  actions  are  always  suspect.  

so  true.
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 12:32 pm Post subject: Re: why people make all the fush about fish cross breeding Reply with quote

i  am  not  totally  against  cross  breeding..but  as  long  as  cross  breeding  is  done  without  harming  the  fish,  its  ok..i  had  seen  a  show  in  discovery  channel  recently  where  they  showed  zebra  danios  been  coloured  by  injecting  some  kind  of  fluid  in  them..this  should  not  be  done  because  it  is  harming  the  fish..also  i  have  heard  that  this  my  fair  lady  parrot  is  being  injected  to  develop  more  vibrant  colours..me,being  a  true  fish  lover  m  totally  against  such  deeds..but  some  fishes  do  look  really  ugly  when  they  are  cross  bred..i  have  seen  flowerhorns  develop  enormous  heads,  which  look  like  a  tumor..although  i  am  not  a  huge  fan  of  the  fish,  i  prefer  it  without  the  head..
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Chit Chat All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: