128. Guest
129. Guest

Most Ever Online:   
 Guest(s): 464
 Member(s): 16
 Total: 480

Forums Forums:   
 Topics: 30,739

http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ :: View topic - Amazing pond!
Forum Index  |  Search  |  Usergroups  |  Edit your profile  |  Members  |  Log in to check your private messages
Ranks  |  Staff  |  Statistics  |  Board Rules  |  Forum FAQ  |  Log in

Amazing pond!
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic   printer-friendly view    http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index -> Fishkeeping and Aquaristics
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lycodon
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:01 am Post subject: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Hi  guys…
 One  of  my  friend  has  a  huge  pond  which  is  approximately  30feet  X  30feet  in  size  and  around  20feet  in  depth,  its  mainly  a  natural  well  with  rain  water  which  never  dries  up!

In  there  are  many  many  local  fishes.  
 Around  three  to  four  years  back  he  had  added  around  22  baby  silver  Arowanas  in  the  pond…
 Most  got  eaten  by  birds  and  other  larger  fish….
 But  two  have  survived  and  grew  big….!!!
 Now  he  is  in  settled  in  UAE  and  wanted  me  to  take  them  as  he  is  not  around......

So,  yesterday  me,  GatorX  aka  weylin  and  other  friends  had  gone  to  check  out  the  pond!  
 Its  an  amazing  pond  !  And  the  Arowanas  ……They  are  crazy…..huge  guys  with  really  high  bodies,  they  are  around  a  meter  in  length!  Phew….and  we  had  to  catch  them!!!!

All  we  had  carried  was  few  jumbo  bags  and  few  large  nets  and  also  fishing  hooks  and  line  as  a  last  resort!
 The  idea  of  netting  them  was  useless,  so  we  dropped  in  the  baited  hook…..
 They  took  the  bait  a  few  times  and  escaped  learning  about  the  trap,  showing  no  interest  in  the  bait  later  on!
 Meanwhile  we  caught  other  large  barbs  on  the  hook  and  released  them  back!

So,  now  we  plan  to  make  a  huge  net  to  match  the  ponds  size  and  scoop  them  out!
 When  we  spoke  to  our  friend  in  UAE,  he  was  happy  that  we  liked  the  pond  and  gifted  us  the  right  to  use  the  pond  as  needed!
 As,  I  realized  that  these  giants  have  grown  in  a  pond  and  putting  them  in  glass  box  would  be  sad,  also  going  close  to  the  tank  will  badly  freak  them  out!

So  we  plan  to  leave  the  Arowanas  in  there  and  maybe  add  around  4  to  6  more  large  silvers  and  try  and  breed  them….

The  other  option  was  to  add  different  monsters  to  the  pond  like  alligator  gars,  arapaima,  etc  ,.  just  for  fun  and  grow  them  out!
 Or  maybe  add  a  lot  of  lake  Malawi  cichlids  and  let  them  breed….
 Getting  a  nice  brood  stock  of  Asian  Arowanas  also  sounds  real  fun!
 Guys,  I  wanted  your  suggestions  as  what  can  be  done,  how  can  we  utilize  this  pond  better?
 May  be  we  can  breed  fishes  here,  grow  baby  fishes  or  just  enjoy  large  monster  swim  by…
 This  pond  has  a  compound  with  guards,  so  we  have  someone  to  feed  them  on  regular  basis!

Common  guys  give  in  some  cool  ideas….
 I’ll  post  some  pics  soon!

Rock On

Last edited by lycodon on Mon Aug 16, 2010 1:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Sidrock
Banned

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:11 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

WOW!  That's  sounds  awesome!

I  second  the  idea  of  adding  other  Amazonian  monsters:  Aligator  Gars,  RTC,  TSNs  etc  etc..  

Adding  more  Silver  Aros  and  trying  to  breed  them  is  also  good.  (It  is  unlikely  to  work,  but  it  will  give  some  Silver  Aros  a  nice  home).

Where  is  this  property  with  the  pond  located?

Cheers,
 Sid
sawantamey
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:11 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

@lycodon  -  where  is  the  pond  property  located  ???
 imo  add  same  size  arros  and  let  them  breed  there  ......
mudjawd
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:05 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

can  we  put  some  babes  in  there  and  then  fill  the  IAH  gallery  with  their  fishy  shots.

on  a  serious  note.  putting  malawi  etc  will  be  useless  as  i  guess  the  arowana  would  get  to  them  .....so  the  best  would  be  to  put  the  other  arowanas  in  there(large  enough  to  not  be  eaten  by  these  guys).  i  assume  that  as  they  have  grown  in  the  pond  they  would  have  tip-top  instincts.  how  clear  is  the  water  in  the  pond.  i  mean  what  is  the  visibility.
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:27 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Adding  some  more  and  trying  to  breed  them  would  be  the  best  use  of  the  tank.

To  add  baby  arowanas  and  allow  them  to  grow  up  to  a  size  that  they  don't  fall  prey  to  bigger  fishes,  frogs  or  birds  -  you  must  use  the  same  tactics  as  they  do  in  pisciculture.  You  will  need  a  double  bed  size  nylon  mosquito  net  which  when  weighted  on  top  side  and  floats  added  to  bottom  will  form  a  floating  tank  in  the  pond  when  reversed  to  hold  the  babies.  For  protection  from  predatory  birds  (and  to  prevent  jumpers  from  leaving  the  tank  too  soon)  cover  this  tank  with  1"  mesh  net  preferably  made  of  nylon.  Hold  your  babies  in  this  tank  and  feed  them  till  are  sufficiently  large  and  can  look  out  for  themselves  and  then  release  them  into  the  pond.

I  hope  you  attempt  the  breeding  -  I  know  you  have  an  unique  opportunity.  If  you  make  the  attempt  you  will  have  all  my  best  wishes  for  your  success.

P.S.  Instead  of  floating  the  net  tank  you  could  stake  it  using  bamboo  poles  for  the  4  corners  and  a  bamboo  frame  at  the  top  for  the  protective  net.  You  will  only  have  to  locate  it  right.  Keep  the  tank  a  couple  of  feet  above  the  pond  floor  to  avoid  crabs  cutting  the  net  (they  may  climb  onto  the  net  but  will  not  cut  it  if  it  is  above  the  floor  as  they  feel  insecure  and  do  not  spend  much  time  above  the  substrate).
vidhyasagar99
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:22 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

hi,  even  i  had  3  big  ponds  ,  i  had  bred  carps  and  gold  fish,  its  best  u  try  out  breeding  arowanas,  release  the  same  type  as  the  large  ones  u  have,  they  are  mouth  brooders,  u  dont  have  to  worry  about  laying  of  eggs  and  naturality,  dont  mix  other  big  carnivorous  fish  with  it,
 it  will  be  great  fun  to  see  the  young  arowanas
p_crazy
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:24 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

that  pond  sounds  just  about  ideal  for  a  few  arapaima  gigas   Cheering  
 now  that  would  be  something...  Surprised   Surprised   Shocked
lycodon
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:53 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Sidrock  wrote  (View  Post):                
WOW!  That's  sounds  awesome!

I  second  the  idea  of  adding  other  Amazonian  monsters:  Aligator  Gars,  RTC,  TSNs  etc  etc..  

Adding  more  Silver  Aros  and  trying  to  breed  them  is  also  good.  (It  is  unlikely  to  work,  but  it  will  give  some  Silver  Aros  a  nice  home).

Where  is  this  property  with  the  pond  located?

Cheers,
 Sid                

Yes,  sid...adding  other  Amazonian  monsters  sounds  really  cool,  as  they  are  the  only  things  we  cant  keep  in  our   living  room  tanks  for  long.....

This  place  is  on  the  outskirts  of  panvel,  on  the  old  mumbai  to  pune  highway!!!  Smile  

mudjawd  wrote  (View  Post):                

can  we  put  some  babes  in  there  and  then  fill  the  IAH  gallery  with  their  fishy  shots.

on  a  serious  note.  putting  malawi  etc  will  be  useless  as  i  guess  the  arowana  would  get  to  them  .....so  the  best  would  be  to  put  the  other  arowanas  in  there(large  enough  to  not  be  eaten  by  these  guys).  i  assume  that  as  they  have  grown  in  the  pond  they  would  have  tip-top  instincts.  how  clear  is  the  water  in  the  pond.  i  mean  what  is  the  visibility.

If  we  have  to  add  the  malawi,  we  remove  the  silver  giants  and  may  be  relocate  them  to  large  and  comfortable  tank,  may  be  some  public  aquarium!

The  visibility  is  OK,  around  three  to  four  feet  is  seen  now,  may  be  on  sunny  times  its  better,  as  its  a  natural  pond  and  the  flooring  is  mostly  black  rocks!

essabee  wrote  (View  Post):                

Adding  some  more  and  trying  to  breed  them  would  be  the  best  use  of  the  tank.

To  add  baby  arowanas  and  allow  them  to  grow  up  to  a  size  that  they  don't  fall  prey  to  bigger  fishes,  frogs  or  birds  -  you  must  use  the  same  tactics  as  they  do  in  pisciculture.  You  will  need  a  double  bed  size  nylon  mosquito  net  which  when  weighted  on  top  side  and  floats  added  to  bottom  will  form  a  floating  tank  in  the  pond  when  reversed  to  hold  the  babies.  For  protection  from  predatory  birds  (and  to  prevent  jumpers  from  leaving  the  tank  too  soon)  cover  this  tank  with  1"  mesh  net  preferably  made  of  nylon.  Hold  your  babies  in  this  tank  and  feed  them  till  are  sufficiently  large  and  can  look  out  for  themselves  and  then  release  them  into  the  pond.

I  hope  you  attempt  the  breeding  -  I  know  you  have  an  unique  opportunity.  If  you  make  the  attempt  you  will  have  all  my  best  wishes  for  your  success.

P.S.  Instead  of  floating  the  net  tank  you  could  stake  it  using  bamboo  poles  for  the  4  corners  and  a  bamboo  frame  at  the  top  for  the  protective  net.  You  will  only  have  to  locate  it  right.  Keep  the  tank  a  couple  of  feet  above  the  pond  floor  to  avoid  crabs  cutting  the  net  (they  may  climb  onto  the  net  but  will  not  cut  it  if  it  is  above  the  floor  as  they  feel  insecure  and  do  not  spend  much  time  above  the  substrate).

What  you  suggest  is  good,  may  be  we  can  buy  decent  size  silver  aros  and  power  feed  them  to  attain  a  good  size  in  an  aquarium  at  home,  then  introduce  them  to  the  older  guys!

But,  due  to  the  ponds  depth,  monitoring  the  fishes  or  may  be  harvesting  the  babies  in  the  future  is  a  lil  tough  task,  unless  we  have  some  proper  mechanism...something  like  the  Chinese  fishing  net  mechanism...   Very Happy  

p_crazy  wrote  (View  Post):                

that  pond  sounds  just  about  ideal  for  a  few  arapaima  gigas   Cheering  
 now  that  would  be  something...  Surprised   Surprised   Shocked

I  always  wanted  to  keep  and  grow  arapaimas,  but  never  took  them  as  i  dint  know  what  i  would  do  with  them  once  they  out  grow  the  tank,  and  stunting  them  was  no  option!

So,  if  this  tank  turns  out  to  be  an  Amazonian  monster  tank....  U  guys  know  where  you  can  donate  your  monsters!   Thumbs Up
essabee
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 7:33 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

30  X  30  feet  is  a  tiny  pond  by  all  non-city  standards.  Knowing  arowanas  live  near  the  surface,  it  does  not  appear  that  any  difficulties  can  exist  monitoring  them.  All  that  is  needed  is  a  little  experience  with  common  pisciculture  methods  -  yes,  they  are  a  little  different  from  your  aquarium  experiences  -  but  they  are  very  easy  and  effective.
alpha91

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:59 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Hi  Lycodon...
 You  could  use  a  cast  net  to  catch  the  aro's  if  need  be.  Attract  them  to  the  surface  with  some  feed,  and  then  cast  the  net...
 If  you  dont  have  one,  you  can  pay  some  local  fisherman  to  do  it  for  you  Smile
Vicky01
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:41 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Lycodon,  I  second  what  almost  everyone  who  has  responded  has  to  say.  Add  more  arowanas  and  let  them  breed.  Even  if  they  decide  not  to  breed,  the  sight  of  a  bunch  of  arowanas  gliding  through  the  water  would  be  an  amazing  sight.  I’m  not  saying  you  should  overstock.  I  am  not  the  expert  here,  but  I  think  you  should  remove  the  other  fish  if  you  go  ahead  with  the  arowana  breeding  plan.

Essabee’s  idea  of  an  inverted  mosquito  net  with  a  nylon  mesh  lid  also  sounds  really  good.  I  think  your  rupee  investment  in  that  type  of  a  holding  pen  for  baby  arowanas  (which  you’ll  buy)  should  be  a  lot  less  than  what  you’d  pay  to  buy  adult  arowanas.

I’m  assuming  that  your  friend  has  someone  to  take  care  of  the  pond.

Do  post  photos;  doesn’t  matter  if  they  are  grainy,  fuzzy,  whatever  .  .  .  Smile
abhis9
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:14 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Post  some  pictures....
hrishi007
Committed Member of IAH
Committed Member of IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 11:16 am Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

a  cichlid  tank  would  be  awesome..
oscar-lover
Regular Poster on IAH
Regular Poster on IAH

PostPosted: Mon Aug 16, 2010 12:38 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Post  some  pics.....
lycodon
Frequent Visitor to IAH
Frequent Visitor to IAH

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2010 2:59 pm Post subject: Re: Amazing pond! Reply with quote

Hi...  guys  some  pics....the  whole  pond  could  not  be  shot  as  it  would  not  fitting  in  my  cam!

GatorX  has  some  better  shots,  he'll  load  them  soon!
Post new topic  Reply to topic   printer-friendly view http://indianaquariumhobbyist.com/community/ Forum Index ->  Fishkeeping and Aquaristics All times are UTC + 5.5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: